Anonymous
Years ago

AFL season will commence this weekend

Announced a short time ago.

Your thoughts?

Topic #47068 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty selfish decision. But the public won't say much, everyone is already going stir crazy with boredom, so this is 'something’. If the players are all ok with it, I guess play until and absolutely when someone does get sick.

Reply #800626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stupid, greedy decision driven purely by TV money and advertising.

Reply #800627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There won't be any spectators, so at least got something to watch on tv.

Reply #800629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FFS, before the game they can pop into Coles and infect a hell of a lot more people than young fit men on a contained area.
Maybe getting things back to a sense of normalcy will make the greedy pricks that are hoarding everything they can buy that things are returning to usual

Reply #800630 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

This is a real greedy decision. Every single grassroots and state league has stopped in almost every sport...

Reply #800634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a good look

Reply #800641 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

A-League and NRL are also continuing.

Reply #800652 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Why? Soon enough state borders will be closed. A pretty stupid decision. NBA shuts down immediatly, NBL GF shuts down mid series, F1 cancelled etc. A confusing and selfish decision to play on and any professional league playing on when others have stopped are only thinking about the TV money.

Reply #800656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I give it a couple of weeks, tops.

Reply #800659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes you said that Perthworld. Why keep saying it? The NRL are effectively broke and want a $200mill hand out from the Govt because it's "Australia's game" as the CEO bleated. The A League should simply stop and write off their season and only lose a few $100mill+ this season. They too are broke. Is their a point when almost every other sport in Australia has ceased? The local tiddly winks society has closed, cinemas wil be next the local chess club and croquet will be stopped. There are no court cases being conducted. Pull your head out of your Perth ass and stop sprouting crap.

Reply #800660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A-League decision is quite befuddling.

The NRL and AFL always have their heads up their wherever, as they are big fishes in small ponds. Sport is a over-sized in terms of it's cultural/social weight in Australia, and so I think that colours their judgement whenever there's a bit of a reality check moment like this, takes a minute for them to realise the country doesn't *actually* rotate around sports at it's centre. So, A-League surprises me. AFL/NRL does not.

Anyway, the English football leagues initially said "we'll play on without crowds", and that held for all of about 48hrs.

Reply #800667 | Report this post

Pork  
Years ago

Just relax people. Nothing greedy about it. Life can't just quit completely. It’s a smart sensible decision and what professional athletes do. They play sport. Something Sydney athletes don’t know about.

Reply #800670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see why you don't post a lot Pork. Don't tell almost every other sport or any other event that it's all good because they are pro athletes.

Reply #800672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watching crowdless AFL games will be strange but can't live with no sport at all.

Reply #800681 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

It's a "smart sensible decision" until an athlete or support staff contracts COVID-19 and unknowingly infects others. Social distancing is difficult for a contact sport, after all.

Reply #800683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess if AFL players are isolated the whole season it could work

Reply #800684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think pork is trolling. Life just can't completely stop... why not? It’s a pandemic, I don’t want my health of that of just loved ones in danger due to a sports financial greed.

Reply #800685 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Remember when Costello use to always complain about the ageing population.

Joe Hockey was always complaining about the ageing population. So much pressure on the budget. So many nursing homes needed.

The liberal party appears to be happy with a virus which is worse for that ageing population, hence the borders are still open, people are still catching public transport, going to shops and cafes across Sydney.

AFL is projecting on being the only live sport on TV across the world. A betting agencies dream, a one off opportunity to expand their game. Stupid, but Trump became POTUS and most people though he was pretty stupid too.

Reply #800687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so kids cant play any sport after being stuck in a concrete petri dish all day, yet AFL players are able to.

its like how did pendlebury manage to get tested when he hadnt been overseas, the whole show is a joke

Reply #800705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FM
I like it........

Reply #800711 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Many workplaces are continuing as per usual and the AFL has greater medical resources than almost every workplace. Yes it's greedy but professional sport has always been greedy. But in terms of it speeding up the spread of the virus, I highly doubt it. If a medical professional comes out and says AFL continuing will exacerbate the spread of the virus, I'm happy to stand corrected.

Reply #800722 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Carn Eagles!!

Reply #800723 | Report this post

Tribe  
Years ago

I'm still required to be at work which is in the Melbourne CBD.

NBA suspended their season when a player tested positive and im sure the AFL will do the same when that happens (which it will).

Reply #800732 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The problem is AFL players are almost exclusively in the demographic that has the most asymptomatic carriers. So unless we're testing all of them all the time, which we can't because we don't have the tests...

Reply #800856 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:26 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754