The criticism toward the NBL is 100% valid. I post here as an Anon but I posted a fair bit last week and was consistently saying that the NBL needed to 'control the narrative' in posts about this, through the first three games. This is exactly why.
When it came to cutting the series to three, or moving game schedules, or game locations, the NBL should not have been leaving it to the clubs to decide.
I think *everyone* could see that there was a 90% chance it was going to end after the weekend. The NBL absolutely should have either called it a three game series ahead of game 2, or been *super* explicit about what was going to happen if it had to be called after game 3, or game 4 if that had gone forward.
They should have understood that there could be different circumstances that lead to a cancellation. Player testing positive. Sudden transportation issues with teams stuck in different cities. Some other government edict that in some way has a side effect of cancellation. Certainly that players and key staff from other countries might need to (or feel they need to) accelerate their departures. I can't see how it would have been difficult for them to think of all of these potential issues, as they were all brought up on this forum and no-one in here seems to be particularly bright, to be fair.
At that point in the hours before Game 2, when they knew they had a really precarious situation on their hands, they should have been extremely clear and specific and public with some different scenarios, and some clear results based on those scenarios, and let both the players and fans engage with the remaining series with that in mind.
- Game 2 is definitely going ahead as it's in a few hours
- At the moment we can see no reason why Game 3 can't go ahead in a couple of days.
- If something/anything happens between Game 2 and Game 3, even if the series is at 2-0, it will be called a no-win series.
- If we can go to Game 3, the teams and the fans should consider it a three game series at this point, and engage with it as such
- We will reconvene on Monday to determine next steps for a potential game 4/5. If for *any* reason there is not a path forward - external change or internal thinking, league mandated or team decision - the three game result stands and the overall winner determined by that result.
So simple, and actually so easy to see that as being necessary a week ago.
If the main charge is that the NBL completely messed up the handling of this, it seem to be 100% correct.