Isaac
Years ago

NH: AFL postpones season after playing just one round

THE 2020 AFL season has been postponed after just one round due to the coronavirus outbreak.

The 2020 NAB AFL Women's season has been cancelled, with no premiership to be awarded.

Clubs were on Sunday afternoon informed of the decision reached by the AFL Commission. The scheduled Hawthorn-Brisbane and West Coast-Melbourne games will be completed to finish round one.

I haven't paid attention to AFL in years but curious to know how the crowdless games came across on broadcast?

Topic #47090 | Report this topic

Cornholio  
Years ago

It came across very awkward ,no atmosphere just commentators rambling.
Surprised the NRL is still going.

Reply #801454 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The bits of crowdless NBL I watched were quite good, I thought - music and commentary plus a bit of bench noise and so on really helped it.

If they can get testing times way down, they can presumably test players pre-game. Potentially test fans before entry.

Reply #801460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was rubbish, didn't watch any more after half time on the Thursday game, tigers thought it was a training run and the no atmosphere was crap.

Basketball was much better with out the crowds.

Reply #801462 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Football is a terrible sport to watch at AFL Level with no crowd. AFL Should have never started the season.

Reply #801463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe they just needed Gleeson on the sidelines?

Reply #801464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Gill will just give the Premiership to West Coast Eagles?

Reply #801478 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

But the AFL were so sure that all of a sudden thousands of American fans would be enamoured with the AFL. Somehow I don't think that happened

Reply #801480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AFL has a fascination with Americans that isn't reciprocated

Reply #801486 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I love both sports, and I love attending both, but it is a different experience.
I might be imagining it, but I think in AFL, you see a lot more of the empty seats.
Plus you miss the sound a lot more.

Reply #801506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Americans are interested because there's literally nothing else to talk about and its a novelty.

Show anyone a sport they haven't seen before, and they are going to be interested.

Why do you think all those obscure sports videos go viral on social platforms?

Because it's different and interesting - but who's going to sit down and watch 3 hours and guys arm wrestling?

Reply #801517 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:51 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754