Phil
Years ago

What happens to clubs

With all that's happening in the world and basketball being pretty much cancelled for the season, what happens to clubs? Will a number of them be going under?

Topic #47092 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just do what the rest of society are doing, layoff paid workers and they can get the supplemented dole. Clubs should have been financial in the 1st place. Those that flash the cash around should not be bailed out, let them go under.

Reply #801526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't believe so. Most of the clubs have very few fixed costs to manage now having already made Coaching Directors redundant (Norwood/Southern) and/or gone to more of part time model (Sturt). Stadium hire costs would now be 0 in most cases and clubs have sent their imports home. Privately managed, commercial venues like STARplex or St Clair will definitely get hammered by this. Not sure what would happen though. St Clair is managed by Life Be in It so council can just take it over and STARplex is owned by Trinity College. Not like they will knock down those venues.

Reply #801528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Clubs should have been financial in the 1st place. Those that flash the cash around should not be bailed out, let them go under."

What an idiotic thing to say.

Reply #801533 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Stability is incredibly important.

Luckily for the NBL, the season is over and by the time the season re-starts, Corona should by and large be over, should it not be, you'd expect it would be by Nov/Dec, NBL could begin delayed without too much issue.

Where NBL IS affected, is if owners who were flush with cash no longer are due to their business interests or limited investors now because of the drowning economy, and most importantly, limitation of sponsorship due to businesses losing significant amounts of money.

Expect it to be a leaner year or two revenue wise for NBL - something hopefully they're well built to over come.

Reply #801534 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

The people that enforce their contract instead of just mutually parting ways will have a job for now. They just won't have a job nor club in the future.

Reply #801535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Umm St Clair is managed by YMCA not life be in it

Reply #801537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kestleman will be bleeding money now. Prahan is tanking, allegedly $10-$15mill last season. 2 clubs for sale and a new club about to enter. The NBL is not in a good place as of now. Perth have the W so that's all that matters.

Reply #801538 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Don't Norwood own their venue. Starplex will be fine. Feel for north with new venue and not real opportunity to show case... guess this will halt movement on south new venture...
Think reality is sport last on list now - health and job security are priorities. Need to band together where can. Look out for others. Hoops can wait... hope no lost of clubs.

Reply #801539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True basketball supporters hope that Larry has very deep pockets and the game continues on an upward trend. If not there is going to be a lot pain and it could get back to the rabble it was a few years ago.

Reply #801541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Perth have the W so that's all that matters."

If the NBL decided to not award the title to Perth, that wouldn't change anything you said prior to this in your post. Why are you so bitter at Perth?

Reply #801543 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Luckily for the NBL, the season is over and by the time the season re-starts, Corona should by and large be over
What makes you think that?

Reply #801544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz, I absolutely agree, and I rarely do with you lol People just seem too think this will change for the sake of it.

There is no proof that this won't close down the world let alone the NBL for a few years. People are just assuming that a vaccine is days away. People are stupid.

Reply #801545 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

A big issue for NBL clubs will be owners of teams and sponsors all losing so much business/money. With pubs, restaurants, etc closed I don't think Prancing Pony will be giving too much to the Sixers next season. The player sponsors pay a few thousand for the sponsorship, can't see those payments easy to come by as some of them were from restaurants and pubs. The owners of the clubs will be losing money in their business too so will probably tighten the belts a little.

Reply #801546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood own their venue? That's hilarious. No they do not.

The venue is council run, and is managed quite well but nothing to do with Norwood. Seeing how well the ARC is run I was surprised that the management of St Clair was put out to tender. Not sure re Lightsview, who manages that stadium?

Reply #801547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Arc is not run well. St Clair loses money. Lightsview is being managed by Port Adelaide/Enfield Council themselves.

Reply #801548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"There is no proof that this won't close down the world let alone the NBL for a few years. People are just assuming that a vaccine is days away. People are stupid."

Treatments that were being developed for SARS-Coronavirus have been tested on SARS-COVID-19 and shown to be effective, and there are now live trials going on at hospitals around the world.

Reply #801549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I understand that our views of what a well run venue looks like will differ, but let's say that the ARC is run well compared to others. I can at least get some food at their canteen and there isn't a layer of dust when I sit down on their benches.

Reply #801550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think the entirety of the NBL will be okay, at all.

They're lucky in two ways only: They were right at the end of their season, and they don't have a lot invested in big TV revenue.

Otherwise, owners are going to struggle. More than one team could collapse as an owner or owners need to get out due to significant issues in their wider business world, at a time when it will be almost impossible to find anyone who will want to buy in.

Sponsorship and corporate support in general is going to collapse. Whether it's the big ticket jersey sponsors or the small local business buying a couple of corporate seats with a drinks package, this revenue is going to shrink significantly. You can expect season ticket sales to drop too.

The sport TV landscape is going to change significantly. One of three things is likely to happen with Foxtel: a) Telstra cashes out and there's some kind of merger between News Corp/7 Media/Foxtel, b) Both Telstra and News Corp sell it for peanuts to another US media giant like NBCUniversal, c) it just crashes and dies. One of these things was extremely likely to happen this year anyway, and is now a certainty with the essential removal of it's sports channels for months and general belt tightening and cancellations from consumers. If something remains, whatever remains will be running on fumes or will be significantly different (e.g. headed quickly to all-streaming focus). Over on the commercial networks, advertising revenue will collapse there. In other words, no loose cash for second tier sports. I can't remember what the terms are of the NBL's current deals, but if it's up for renewal in the next 12 months, if I were the NBL I'd be right now trying to get out ahead of the big boys in getting onto a platform that is not an Australian media business. Expand wholly with Twitch/Amazon, for example.

The NBL hasn't avoided a storm just because they're not playing right now. That means something significant in the short term as they didn't have a season 'spent' already, and it is certainly very helpful, but in the medium and long term they're in as much of a pickle as everyone else.

Reply #801551 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Moving forward at least athletes won't be grossly overpaid.

Reply #801555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Outside of the NBL no one in basketball gets paid what they're worth. Including WNBL.

I feel for the Club workers who give huge hours for the kids and families for very little in return to now have no income at all.

This will force a correction across the whole world, but given how under resourced basketball in SA is already its going to be a long way back to parity for the sport at the local level.

Reply #801556 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

For the 19/20 Season, COVID19 really had no impact on any individual team other than Sydney and Perth.

Melbourne and Cairns were playing when the Virus was known, but they still got their full house in their one home game.

Sydney and Perth would have suffered greatly having to still rent both arenas with staff and get zero revenue.

I believe it when Perth say they breakeven at the GF (and likely make money there).

The league would have lost money as well. Thankfully all Sponsorships would still be paid out as the season regular completed.

Even if COVID settled down by next season, I think it will still be in people's minds not to attend. There will be a large portion of people who aren't infected and they may stay away.

So next season I expect all teams to suffer more.

The league can save money by keeping all luxury tax payments and rescinding league equalisation payments.

In a league where Cairns came third in front of Melbourne we no longer need equalisation.

In a league where the Hawks are gifted Lamelo and equalisation payments, and still end up as trash as they are, they don't need these payments.

Reply #801558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ah check out Hawthorn today launching a crowd funding effort to raise 100k to keep them going.

Reply #801560 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Plus Clubs will need to start recruiting within a couple of months.

How much do you pay players now knowing revenue could drop off a cliff? Are newly recruited or re-negotiating players be willing to accept less given the excesses of the arms race for the last 3 seasons?

How would recruiting even go without NCAA, Summer League, NBL1? It will just be watching mixtapes on Youtube where even Keith Benson footage could be compiled to rival that of Clint Capela.

The ones that will survive are the Sydney Kings and Melbourne United with deep pockets.

Lisch and Kickert are happy to take less money, Tate may want more money, Casper isn't even getting to play NBL1 to regain form.

Reply #801561 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Then clubs normally start marketing for members in about 3-4 months time, it is suggested that that will be the time of peak COVID19. Who is going to be thinking of basketball when outside is the Walking Dead?

And what price do you set on memberships? At current prices you can imagine a big drop off in memberships considering not just the COVID risk but the fact that people could be cash poor for a while.

It is going to be a very challenging time for the NBL even though we scraped through this season.

What should the NBL do about the Salary Cap? It has a calculation that normally goes upwards, should it be changed to scale it back? If they do scale it back...how can teams with big contracts continue to fit new players in?

Reply #801562 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If the season does go ahead, I can't imagine imports playing so the lack of summer league and such probably won't affect much.

Borders are going to stay closed for a number of years.

Reply #801563 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Holy Sheet.

We're going to see :

- Money Makin' Jason Cadee
- Money Makin' Kevin White
- Grown Man Ernest Ross
- Cam Tragardh and Wortho start for Cairns.

Reply #801565 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

I also feel for the next level down (State League in WA) This is really worrying for all the club's, I know our club has already sent our imports back home. Who knows what the future will bring.
Take care everyone.

Reply #801566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't we learn from clubs spending above their means and going bust, a few incarnations of Melbourne teams, gold coast, Newcastle, Canberra. Remember there were no Brisbane and Sydney for a while because of that. All well and good to pump cash in and hope money comes in with TV rights and sponsorship, plus exposure overseas. But till then clubs will lose money, owners will say stuff it and close. Ex NBA players will get bored with being owners and put money into other ventures. Clubs need to put a feasibility study into league, if they agree to bankroll shortfall then good on them. If they say, hang on, we're not going to prop you up with a couple hundred thousand, then come back with reasonable proposal.

Reply #801568 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Hard to know where the new normal is going to be. Hopefully, within 3-6 months there'll be some effective treatments that make COVID19 cases more easily managed, without the need for as many high intensity hospital services. That could make it practicable to relax intranational travel and maybe some international movement, as it’d reduce the chances of overloading health systems. Lots of ifs and buts involved. If the treatments are able to be mass produced and distributed. If countries can afford them in quantities needed and make them available to their populations etc. If transport systems and processes are able to be restored quickly. E.g., what safety checks and maintenance might be need3d on planes that have been on the ground for a few months, before they can fly. What retraining will pilots need after not flying for a few months etc.

If that happens, that might tide things over until a vaccine is available in 12-18 months. Then, we might see a return to completely unrestricted travel during the year after that.

What are the chances of NBL season starting in 7 months time, in the above scenario?

Reply #801570 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I don't think many clubs will have a problem? Unless they are stuck paying contracts they can't get out of. The real problem will be the unfortunately people relying on sport for their income. Rec centres will have to lay-off most of their staff.

As for the NBL, since the season just finished, they are best placed to weather the storm.

Remains to be seen how quickly we can lock this disease down.

Reply #801574 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Paul Smith throwing a tantrum and now the virus could result in him being a one hit wonder of an owner... err let me rephrase that - one flop wonder.

Reply #801579 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

koberulz, 6-7 months away gives time for things to improve: combination of lock down measures should they be implemented, testing and distribution of vaccines, and return of summer weather (outside of flu season - virus is one thing but the medical community is more concerned with the mix of flu and virus re super spreaders and symptoms making people critically ill; and tougher for viruses to survive in hot weather)

Nobody knows what will occur 6-7 months down the track, it is however a good chunk of time.

Reply #801585 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There is zero evidence that summer weather makes a damn bit of difference, as our outbreak here despite warmer weather would indicate.

I don't see anyone opening borders this year. Especially if the US does indeed go with its "the economy is more important than lives, everyone back to work!" plan.

Reply #801587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolute nonsense about the league not being in a good place. Poison from a real muppet. Community club up for sale to move with the times of private ownership after a stellar season!

The league is flying! Call doc brown and jump in the time machine 5 years ago! Absolute fool

Reply #801588 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You haven't read the news in the last three weeks, have you?

Reply #801589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"testing and distribution of vaccines"

This is what it will boil down to. Staying in lockdown isn't going to magically make the virus disappear, it will just stop the drastic drain on medical resources. If we don't have a vaccine any time soon then we will be in lockdown until we do.

Reply #801593 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The NBL hasn't avoided a storm just because they're not playing right now.
They've avoided the worst of it. Pushing back a season start is doable when concerts might not be locking down the local stadium. They can run or start without imports if things ease up in six months. They can sell discounted, advanced and refundable tickets in the event that a season starts. They'll burn money on contracts (depending on contract specifics) but not for a full roster and without game night costs. They'll bleed cash but it could be a lot worse.

The 76ers just walked back their attempts to cut or discount staff.

Reply #801596 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Vaccines are a minimum of a year away. They're not the answer to the next NBL season.

Reply #801599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry, I was talking in global terms. I wasn't considering the NBL at all.

I'm preparing to work from home for the next six months.

Reply #801602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Take a look at what is happening to AFL, players are taking paycuts, football departments are basically gone. If NBL season approaches and its still up in the air, who's going to organise things. Marketing department, ticket sales etc will not be able to be done. Depending on other countries policies, players may head there, eg Asia to earn money. That's a longshot due to severity of outbreak and people wanting to be safe and home.
Would say it would take a couple of months to organise everything so its a reasonable product. Better that than trying to rush everything through.

Reply #801605 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

There is zero evidence that summer weather makes a damn bit of difference, as our outbreak here despite warmer weather would indicate.

Flu season plays an important role, which is April/May until October.

Vaccines are a minimum of a year away.

Fair to say you'd have zero clue on that, and no basis to place any minimum on that. Vaccines are developed - every single year - faster than 12/18 months.

Reply #801606 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Borders are going to stay closed for a number of years.

Time will tell, but I don't believe this. You will see a vaccine within 2 months. The Chinese already have it, is a matter of time before we get it also.

Reply #801611 | Report this post

slick  
Years ago

Perthworld
Yesterday

Moving forward at least athletes won't be grossly overpaid.

Yep athletes and coaches of AFL and NRL in particular but also some of the hacks running around the NBL, and will be more interesting with the amateur local hero's, the milking of junior clubs will have ended.

The pro leagues aren't going to be able to get the huge TV deals, sponsorship money will tighten right up. Imports wont be able to come in and do waste of time individual session for kids, because mum and dad aren't working any more and they cant afford it, clubs and even local associations will have to be run by volunteers even more so, gone will be the days of the JDO earning 70k plus also robbing parents further with individual sessions.

times are a changing

you may get your uniform made in Australia now though

Reply #801612 | Report this post

slick  
Years ago

JR there is no way in the world i am putting anything in my body created by the chinese

Reply #801614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hearing a few NBL clubs pretty much might just hand the licence back as sponsors are pulling the pin and corp ticket renewals are non existent together as I can tell you the calls from clubs have happened and the feedback is basically a flat NO!

This could set the league back 15 years and a few of the owners are highly leveraged and an asset like an NBL team that has no value and loosed money will be one of the first things to go!

Watch this space but expect a few clubs will be close to finished within 2 months!

Reply #801616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, China produces nothing that us Aussies use.

Reply #801617 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Swings and roundabouts - inevitable damage, however the money will flow again. This is GFC type stuff, worse, it may take a few years to start a decent recovery.

Reply #801621 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sponsorship is a serious issue, but clubs are running through this period normally without game-night income while they prepare for sales pitches to sponsors and fans. Can prep and hold collateral in readiness, maintain communication with fans, etc. Might not take full staff, but still bound to keep a couple of people busy.

Reply #801622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KET said "Fair to say you'd have zero clue on that, and no basis to place any minimum on that. Vaccines are developed - every single year - faster than 12/18 months."
I beg to differ Nobel Prize winner Professor Peter Doherty said on radio the other day that he doesn't expect a vaccine to be developed in under 12 months.I am happy to trust him rather than your guess.

Reply #801623 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Corona Virus didn't just hit today, and they didn't just start working on a vaccine today.

They've been working on it for nearly 4 months, should it take another 8 months, that wouldn't dent the NBL season very much.

Reply #801624 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Which lends straight to what I said, the NBL shouldn't be too affected in terms of timing for the season given it's 7 monthsish away, and should it be, there's plenty of wriggle room for the NBL to delay a couple of months or more.

Reply #801625 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Even if a successful vaccine were to be creates, tested, produced in 6 months, I think the impact would still be felt by the league.

I think the fear would still be there by the majority of the population who remain uninfected (I hope). Many would simply stay away and watch from home instead.

Reply #801627 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Indeed, nobody is escaping unaffected.

Reply #801628 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Yes, renewals are an issue.
It really depend son how well teams have managed their cash. If you need 20/21 renewals now, to pay blls, then yes you'll be in trouble.

Reply #801629 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Thank God we have Daniel Dillon, Kevin White and Brendan Teys to bring ShowTime to the AEC next season, otherwise we'd be in trouble.

Reply #801631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Trump get his wish and the US "re-opens" at Easter, there is no way in hell any country is opening their borders to allow US Nationals in. No. Way. Forget Americans coming our here to play for the foreseeable future. Not happening.

Reply #801632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trump talks in circles, it won't happen by Easter.

If Americans arrived in Australia and were tested and quarantined for two weeks it could still happen. It shows you how good you need your Australian contingent to be and Perth favourites already, and as previously they get there good imports naturalised and married to Aussie girls.

Reply #801633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they won't lock us down until we get a vaccine, as the gov will run out of money and the banks will start to hit people up for cash so a collapse of our society would happen so in the end they'll open everything back up.

Reply #801635 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Fair to say you'd have zero clue on that, and no basis to place any minimum on that. Vaccines are developed - every single year - faster than 12/18 months.
I have plenty of basis:

Biotech company Moderna says its coronavirus vaccine is ready for first tests
[National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Director Anthony]Fauci previously told CNN that researchers could expedite the approval process for a vaccine following a successful Phase 1 trial in an attempt to halt the spread of the virus.
But even when proceeding at an "emergency speed," a vaccine would not be available for use for at least a year or 18 months, he said Tuesday.

Coronavirus: How close are we to a vaccine or drug?
But even if scientists can celebrate having developed a vaccine this year, there is still the massive job of being able to mass-produce it.

It means, realistically, one would not be ready until at least the middle of next year.

Coronavirus vaccine test opens with 1st doses
Even if the research goes well, a vaccine wouldn't be available for widespread use for 12 to 18 months, said Dr. Anthony Fauci of the U.S. National Institutes of Health.

When Will There Be A Vaccine For The New Coronavirus? Everything You Need To Know
Johnson & Johnson, which is repurposing a technology for the new coronavirus vaccine that was once successful for its Ebola and Zika vaccines, is "looking at 8 to 12 months" before the vaccine is publicly available, says the company’s chief scientific officer, Paul Stoffels.

How Long Will It Take to Develop a Coronavirus Vaccine?
Anthony Fauci, the longtime director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (N.I.A.I.D.), spoke up. “A vaccine that you make and start testing in a year is not a vaccine that’s deployable,” he said. The earliest it would be deployable, Fauci added, is “in a year to a year and a half, no matter how fast you go.”

Reply #801645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Trump talks in circles"

Thats a polite way of saying he is a full of shit narcissist who is leading the US down a path of destruction.

Reply #801649 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I don't really see the question of "imports" being an issue.
If anything, the exact opposite.

We're not going to have a season, unless we (at least in Australia) have this fekking virus under control.
And that's definitely possible. (It's also possible we won't.)

In which case, either the world is mostly back to normal, or our borders remain locked down, because the rest of the world is still in a shit-storm.
And in that case, we could probably have our pick of imports, at rock-bottom prices.

Unless this turns completely into the Zombie apocalypse, there will always be some flights, preceded by medical clearances and following by immediate quarantine. Organisations that can pay for that will be ok.
Imports, presumably with no NBA, and no access to Europe, will be lining up to get themselves and their families out of buttfuck Idaho.

But yeah, America is going to have a huge problem. They have a lot of poor people living in overcrowded conditions, most of whom have no access to decent healthcare, and are distrustful of authorities.
Plus a lot of people will lose their jobs, which in the US means losing your health insurance.
And unlike the developing nations where authorities can lock it all down, every measure they try will be challenged in court by rabid lawyers.

Reply #801668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Dazz. With all that verbage you have said nothing but the obvious.

Reply #801670 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

So dr koberulz's view is there won’t be an NBL 20/21

Reply #801680 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I think people would listen more to you Koberulz if you had the capability to converse in English properly instead misinterpreting words and then doing some googling thinking you're informing people.

If someone says:
"Should be, and should it not be"

That does not equate to:
“It definitely will be”

Stop cutting and pasting media grabs, have a chat to a Head or Respiratory at a hospital, or an ENT - that’s something not replaceable by Google

Reply #801681 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You're right, if you ignore the facts hard enough they'll go away.

Reply #801682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry KET but those media grabs were in response to your comment that he has no basis for suggesting a vaccine is over 12 months away.

The "should be, but should it not be" was your suggestion that the NBL good to go ahead on time, which koberulz wasn't responding to.

He’s at least supporting his opinions with evidence.

Reply #801683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL clubs will be going broke.....expect a couple of clubs to ask for a hiatus or a significantly lower salary cap for season 20/21 (if they are going by then).

With no TV deal, little corporate support & potentially no crowds combined with owners facing a major recession/depression owners can't pay what has been paid to players/coaches/staff.

Expect major change to how the league looks with more of a semi pro feel to it.

Reply #801684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Owners who'll see the biggest drop in NET worth

36er's Owner - Property values/rents will diminish greatly!
MU Owners - As above & Media landscape being smashed with reducing advertising/revenue streams
Perth - See above
Sydney - Plenty of Cash but significant share market investments, also need someone to play against!
Illawarra - Retail investments enough said.
Brisbane - Overseas former NBA investor, will he like owning an asset with no value and it loses money!

New Zealand - Loosing money hand over fist...
SEM - Large property investments....
Cairns - Might be hard to get money out of the community!

Reply #801685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont believe Jack Bendat owns any media entities anymore. He's also worth $800 million, he’s clearly in the best position to ride this out.

Reply #801686 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The "should be, but should it not be" was your suggestion that the NBL good to go ahead on time, which koberulz wasn't responding to.

He 100% responded to that, that's what lead down the trap of Kobe translating those media grabs of people saying "we don't know - probably as 12 months - 18 months" as, quoted, "Vaccines are a minimum of a year away."

Anybody who can English will understand the clear difference.

Nobody knows how far away they are to make such a definitive statement, let alone Koberulz, despite him believing to be "fact".

Reply #801687 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Agree with D2.0. Yes, we, The NBL AND all of Aust, share these problems BUT we also seem to have one of the best containment regimes with a comparably lower strike rate than others.

For our NBL imports, costs are always based on competition. Players play for the largest pay-packet they can get. With Europe as our main rival for the best avail imports and possibly South America & China being 2 and 3, do you think that more, top class American imports may choose the NBL instead of the opportunity to play in Spain, Italy, China, and some of the Sth American countries? You may even find that some top Euros will be looking for a new basketball home.

This problem is not an Australian one. It's world wide. Everyone will be affected by this, Aust less than most, I think.

As sad/bad as this tragedy is, Aust basketball could actually benefit from it.

One of my all-time favourite proverbs has been; "Sweet are the uses of adversity" (Shakespeare, I think). Adversity, itself, isn't so sweet but what we do to conquer adversity is very sweet.

I am not cheering for the covid19 issue. That has already happened. I hate that it did! The only thing that really matters now is how we react.

As an example of how this can be "used", "respectfully", without any gloating, our recruitment of internationals could include catch phrases like "the safest place to play", "Come to Oz and protect/prolong your career", "the best basketball in the safest environment", "Sydney is a bit dodgy but still better than the rest of the world!", etc.

PLUS! The whole world is also suffering commercially. Consequently, everyone will be offering less money to their recruits anyway.

Extension:

With the current NBL rules re imports in our league, each team is allowed 3 and as many others as they can get away with. There are say 10 teams in the league, ergo; 30 imports.

We have been blessed with some sensations lately. But imagine what an influx of new applicants who want to play in a safer environment could mean. Say 60 or 70 want to apply for 30 jobs. What then???

Reply #801689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The virus is still on the up in Australia, we are still in only part shut down mode. Until we have a nationwide total shut down it's not going away. Look how kings imports reacted when they thought they could not get home, out the door in a flash. I’d say world sport is in fa nose dive and while popular basketball could crash the furthest.

Reply #801690 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Granted, Anon. NO arguement there. None at all!

I will abbreviate my previous post to, "What do we do about it?".

My ideas may be stupid, they often are. But please, don't tell me we're f**k*d. Everyone has that message. Come up with something.

And your comment: "Look how kings imports reacted when they thought they could not get home, out the door in a flash." is absolutely irrelevant to this topic. They went home for fear of not being able to later, to re-join there own life, not because it is safer there.

Thank you for being an Anon. It means that I can insult you without being personal.

You dickhead. You missed/ignored my intent completely and then to prove your stupidity you include trash to make YOUR point!

Reply #801693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The AUD being weak is a big factor in the quality of import as well.

Reply #801694 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Wonder how it affects Tasmania - they were on a tight timeline re development of DEC to begin with

Reply #801695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The nbl is in turmoil. 2 clubs for sale and a new Tassie side. Once upon a time an NBL licence was worth $1mill. Mow LK wants $10mill. Cough,cough. Now they are a but worthless. I am sure his Prahan tower is taking as well. Gloomy sailing ahead for a fair will I am guessing.

Reply #801696 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

South Yarra lol

Reply #801698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stop messing around going from phase 1 to phase 2 every week or so, go straight to phase 10 like Wuhan did.

Reply #801699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL has chased Chinese influence and investment for a longtime little did they know the Wuhan Flu could bankrupt the league!

Reply #801700 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Kobe translating those media grabs of people saying "we don't know - probably as 12 months - 18 months" as, quoted, "Vaccines are a minimum of a year away."
They're saying a minimum of 12-18 months, not "it could be any time but that's most likely".

Reply #801701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The nbl is in turmoil. 2 clubs for sale and a new Tassie side. Once upon a time an NBL licence was worth $1mill. Mow LK wants $10mill. Cough,cough. Now they are a but worthless. I am sure his Prahan tower is taking as well. Gloomy sailing ahead for a fair will I am guessing.

What?

Reply #801702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's all over for the nbl the league is heading back to circa 2010.

Small stadiums and low budgets

Reply #801733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes. The local clubs will struggle if not go under. The focus if and when b'ball starts again will need to be the kids coming up, and the higher tier levels will need to take a Bex and get over themselves. The spending in the NBL is and has been since LK took over way over the top. Back to grass roots and start again, eventually.

Reply #801746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

take a Bex

OK boomer

Reply #801749 | Report this post

Hugh Jass  
Years ago

Pessimists out in force. Doom and gloom. Everything will collapse in a burning heap. Or are the above anons really Gill McLaughlin and his AFL muppets hoping.

Reply #801752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stupid pessimistic people. Everyone should be upbeat and dancing in the streets with situation. Pray tell, what the glass half full say?

Reply #801756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tell us what there is to be so positive about.

Reply #801775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully they go back to ten man lists and two to four dp players. If you have three imports one must be the marquee player. Hold the salary cap as it is or even make it 10% less. Bottom five players to still be below $450g but keep minimum payments at $55g.

Times are tough, Cairns were fantastic but the need to compete.

Reply #801780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no salary cap and you want 3 imports and up to 4 dp's in a 10 man squad. Nothing positive in there sorry. Cairns are for sale. Who would buy any team right now?

Reply #801789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks are done
NZ Done
Cairns Cooked
Adelaide and Vicinity centers bleeding cash and tenants so it will get worse....this will effect the 36er's make no mistake.

Reply #801791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PWC won't go broke. Already hitting up members for 20/21 season. More expensive than last season.

Disgraceful

Reply #802012 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:24 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754