Luuuc
Years ago

Sydney to host 2022 FIBA Women's World Cup

MIES (Switzerland) - FIBA has awarded the hosting rights for the FIBA Women's Basketball World Cup 2022 to Basketball Australia.

Basketball Australia and the Russian Basketball Federation were the two finalists bidding to host FIBA's women's flagship event two years from now.

The decision was taken by FIBA's Central Board today, which took place via video conference, having both candidates submit their bids and then each give presentations to the Central Board.

This will be the second time that Basketball Australia will host FIBA's Women's Basketball World Cup, having done so in 1994.

Hamane Niang, President of FIBA, said: "The Central Board saw two excellent presentations today from two basketball strong National Federations. I would like to congratulate them on their outstanding work and the effort and commitment which has gone into their bids. There can only be one host country for this event, and for 2022 it will be Australia.

"We look forward to the biggest women’s event in basketball taking place in Sydney, and also the 12-month qualification period that will take place to be among the 12 teams playing in Australia."

Andreas Zagklis, FIBA Secretary General, said: "I would like to congratulate Basketball Australia on their successful bid. Australia really is a powerhouse in basketball, with the women coming in second at the previous FIBA Women's Basketball World Cup in 2018.

"This is a tremendous opportunity for the city of Sydney to both promote and take women’s basketball to the next level. We witnessed many successes at the last World Cup, and I am sure that in 2022 we will see even more. We are looking forward to a fruitful cooperation over the next two years in planning for this pinnacle event."

The iconic Australian city of Sydney will host the event over 10 days in September and October 2022. The tournament will be played across two venues, both of which are located in Sydney Olympic Park. The sport-loving nation of Australia will get to witness firsthand 144 of the best players in the world, from 12 international teams in 38 games.

Article

Topic #47100 | Report this topic

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

This is just awesome news.

Reply #801759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Women's basketball, meh. They could play naked and I still wouldn’t care.

Reply #801760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great news. ::)))

Reply #801761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fantastic news.

Reply #801766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best news today!

Reply #801767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only qudos bank and state sports centre, that sucks.

Reply #801768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really pathetic by fiba, even less teams in tHan last WC, only 12 teams, 2018 was 16 teams.
These days it should be 24.

Reply #801769 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Excellent news! I look forward to watching it.

Reply #801771 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

If we can stage this successfully then it bodes well for us getting the men's world cup for 2027, which apparently we are actually lobbying for. So if this world cup interests you and you're able to I implore people to get down to the games and support it, if of course we're not still dealing with some sort of Kung Flu

Reply #801778 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Really pathetic by fiba, even less teams in tHan last WC, only 12 teams, 2018 was 16 teams.
These days it should be 24.

I disagree. No way should it be more than it already was.
Fewer teams means a fairer tournament, and all the pre-qualifying stuff that happens these days means it will be a good group of 12 that participates.
I like the change.

Reply #801783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not enough teams, this ain't the Olympics.

Reply #801784 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

and the winner is... Sydenee!

Reply #801792 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Women's basketball isn't as deep as mens. In the men's competition you had about 16 of the 32 teams that are genuinely competitive with eachother. And I'd even say there were too many shit teams at the last world cup. Whereas with womens, 12 is deep enough. There will already be a pretty big chasm between the USA, Australia, Russia and those level teams to the bottom 6.

Reply #801793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another event that will lose money for BA.

Reply #801794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

12 is deep enough..
I don't agree, not anymore... it should be 16 minimum
A lot has changed since Rio and Spain WC already.

USA
Australia
Spain
France
Belgium
China
Serbia
Canada
Brazil
Russia
Belgium
Japan
Sweden
Korea
Great Britain
Italy
Czech Republic
Nigeria
Hungary
Etc
There are plenty of competitive teams...

Reply #801797 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Half of those ^ teams have zero chance of snagging a medal even if everything goes perfectly for them
When you look at the 2018 tournament, teams 11-16 had zero impact.

Reply #801798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What half luuuc, you can't use the rosters from 2016/18.

Reply #801799 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It's very slim pickings on that list once you go past Canada IMO

Reply #801800 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

By the way I'm not saying it isn't "nice" to have more countries there, but if you're serious about the fairness of a tournament then the fewer countries the better. It's a balance between fairness and niceness. I'd be cool with 16, but personally I think 12 is better.

Reply #801801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Slim pickings lol

Belgium
China
Japan
These 3 teams are currently better than us now.

Reply #801803 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It's very slim pickings on that list *ONCE YOU GO PAST CANADA* IMO

Reply #801804 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

(as for Belgium being better than us, we'll have to agree to disagree on that one)

Reply #801805 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Any team which can be competitive with one of the top 8 deserves a place.

We want to encourage the growth of the game around the world, but we don't want blow-outs, and if we only chose teams which had a realistic medal chance then we'd probably end up with 6 teams.

Hell, how many wrote off Cairns, and look where they ended up.

Reply #801807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dear Luuc the top 12 teams in the World don't qualify for the tournament.

Did the standard of the u14 club champs increase or decrease when the number of teams increased from 16 to 24?

I will give you a hint, the standard didn't increase.

Reply #801808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we Will see mbaka, Massey and geldof come in in 22' maybe even abdelkader.

The starting 5 is currently
Allemand
Mestagh
Delaere
Meesseman
Linskens

3 positions better than us, if Linskens can slow Cambage they would win pretty comfortably.
And they have a deeper bench than us.
We would have slightly beat them in 2018, but in 22 they have the advantage imo.
We have been bullied by both China and japan in recent times. China with physicality and japan with speed, passing and precuisn shooting.

Reply #801809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4 groups of 3 with bottom team in each group heading home, top 8 straight into 1/4s. Semis, final. Short tournament for sure with no wiggle room in groups.

Reply #801810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

16 minimum I reckon.

Reply #801811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The opals team will look alot different in 22 me thinks. Several changes even after 21 Olympics.

Reply #801812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

last time we played China with full strength teams on both sides we absolutely destroyed them

Reply #801814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No we didn't, we got destroyed in the Olympic qualifiers.

Reply #801815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Recent losses
Lost to japan 82-69 17th november Olympic qualifiers 19
Lost to Japan 76-64 28th September Asia cup 10
Lost to china 70-69 26th September Asia cup 19
Lost to USA 73-56 30th september World Cup 2018

Reply #801817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lost to France 72-63 7th feb 2020 Olympic qualifiers

Reply #801818 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Dear Luuc the top 12 teams in the World don't qualify for the tournament.

Did the standard of the u14 club champs increase or decrease when the number of teams increased from 16 to 24?

I will give you a hint, the standard didn't increase.

Dear Anonymous,
My main point is this:
The whole point of a tournament is to produce results that accurately reflect how good the competitors are.
If you've got 10 days to rank 2 teams, you can do that very fairly
If you've got 10 days to rank 100 teams, you've got no hope of doing it fairly
Everything in between is a sliding scale.
The fewer teams you have, the fairer it is. That's it.

Bizarre irrelevancies about the standard of the u14 club champs? lol, whatever

FIBA now have an ongoing system of region-based tournaments and qualifications to separate the wheat from the chaff.
As ME pointed out above, the depth in women's basketball is just not there yet. Teams 13-16 are not going to challenge teams 1-3 for a medal.
When the depth improves then by all means expand the tournament.

I don't get what the problem is with having fewer teams. I'm more than happy for someone to change my mind, but just listing a bunch of mediocre teams like Brazil, Sweden, Great Britain, Italy, Czech Republic & Hungary is no kind of an argument.

Reply #801822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are thnking of now Lucc not 22'

Great Britain, Italy and Sweden are good teams now and if you know the new players coming in also. They will be even better in 22.

I doubt our side will have Mitchell who will be 37-38 in it and potentially a few others like George, Tolo.

Reply #801823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mangakahia
Seekamp
Ebzery
Whitcomb - 34y.o
Wallace
Cole
Garrick
Nicholson
Wilson
Talbot
Allen
Kunek
Frolingk
Blicavs
Frolinga
Smith
Magbegor
Aokuso
George - 33y.o
Scherf
Tolo - 33y.o
Cambage

Maybe too eRly for college kids
Don't think we go much deeper than that

Reply #801825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My bad Mitchell will be 36y.o in 22

Reply #801826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitchell will be 37. George, Tolo and Sami WhItcomb are all the same age, and not getting younger. We will have an influx of youth in 2 years!!

Reply #801827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We don't have many college prospect opals imo. Some would say Shelley but there is no one else that could reach the opals.
Our u17 gold medal team players who are in college now are stinking it up. Very little game time and are being overtaken by freshman on there team.
With our freshman, Fowler is too small for an international pf and it’s hard to judge what deegan can do vs bigger conferences.
Horvat who gets an extra year and sharp were highly touted and have dropped back substantially. Horvat went from a 6’1 ' next penny taylor’ sg to undersized fill in Centre in 4 seasons. Sharp will be a solid backup sf in the wnbl. Lucky sf is our strongest and deepest position

Reply #801828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully Australia can qualify.

Reply #801830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#830 clearly a troll

Reply #801831 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:02 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754