Evon Barksdale
Years ago

NBL delays free agency until May

Due to COVID-19, the Hungry Jack's National Basketball League (NBL) has agreed with the Australian Basketball Players’ Association to postpone commencement of the forthcoming free agency period.

The free agency period, which was due to start on March 30, will be delayed until at least 1 May, unless the parties agreed in the meantime on a basis to commence sooner.

Interesting that this has been delayed, as you might think that free agent discussions could be done remotely to still comply with social distancing. What would be the main reasons for the delay? Is the NBL trying to see if their calendar for next year will be affected?

Topic #47104 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's very odd. Free Agent contracts wouldnt start til FY 20/21 so there is little risk of signing someone today. Id suggest that players are committing to deals now regardless as they will need surity of income.

The house that LK built was flimsy enough without Corona knocking on the door.

Reply #801976 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Why is it odd? We have no idea if there's even going to be a season yet.

Reply #801977 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

It makes really good sense. Free agency would start at a time when the people involved in the process are coming to terms with the new world. No doubt there is a fair bit of stress, although financial security at this time is most of the worlds issue.

Just gives the number crunches at each club to work out what they really can afford to offer, gives 4 weeks which in pandemic terms is enough time to go from 1 case to Italy. But for our country it puts us in a place where we can see 3 months maybe duration versus 6 months likely duration. The fear in Australia is we are taking this virus into Winter.

A season starting with full crowds is going to look different to a season start without crowds.

Reply #801978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It's very odd. Free Agent contracts wouldnt start til FY 20/21 so there is little risk of signing someone today."

Normally FA period starts 2 weeks after the last GF. Not sure what you are on about.

Reply #801987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's Avon Barksdale....

Reply #801989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL won't exist so whats the point of pretending

Reply #801993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It's very odd. Free Agent contracts wouldnt start til FY 20/21 so there is little risk of signing someone today."

Normally FA period starts 2 weeks after the last GF. Not sure what you are on about.

^^ Hence why he said free agent CONTRACTS and not free agent PERIOD..

Reply #801997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would imagine that everyone is a free agent now.

Reply #802000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stop imagining. So you don't embarrass yourself

Reply #802002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank you #997

You can sign a player at any time and start to pay them when they arrive , when they pass a fitness test and so on.

Just because you sign someone doesn't mean you start paying them straight away.

Reply #802004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the boarders stay closed but the league restarts due to be in control in Australia, Perth are in the best position with Plumlee and Cotton living hear already. Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, NZ all reasonably placed assuming NZ like Australia.
Players like Drimic, Moller, TeRangi, Naar all become valuable as all good quality but sit behind imports. There is others as well.

Reply #802005 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

For those wondering why (it's odd) FA is being pushed back.

If you were a club, you have no idea of your finances next season.

Revenue would at best be reduced significantly, at worst Zero.

How will you plan on paying players when there is nothing coming in on the revenue side?

How can you offer big money to the Pattersons, Hopsons and the Machados when you might not be able to afford them at all.

Reply #802010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is one cairns import thats lives in the same apartment complex as me, who has settled in pretty well and doesn't look like leaving anytime soon. Which I find odd because the other 2 imports returned to the states before the borders shut. I believe cairns may have him locked in for next season.

Reply #802030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ obviously Newbill, why not say who it is.
And since when has Plumlee called Australia home?

Reply #802031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newbill is back in the states.

Bit of fun, keep you guys guessing.

Reply #802032 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Taipans and Wildcats obviously doing well at match making.

Reply #802036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

scott machado

Reply #802038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cam Oliver??.....

Reply #802039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

would Newbill be a good replacement for Moore at 36ers

Reply #802040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone says "this is happening, I ive in the same apartment complex as me," without naming them and so it's true? Then Perth Wanker posts "And since when has Plumlee called Australia home?" It must be true. People need to get a life.

If true I would like to know who is paying their bills during the off season.

Reply #802041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oliver is heading to the nba/g league. Cairns will have both machado and newbill back next season. I'm a cairns local and also have heard they will be back. Machado loves cairns.

Reply #802042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excuse me, I'm not a perth wanker, born and bred south aussie, I was the one that asked since when had Plumlee decided to live here. Pretty simple question, calm down tiger!!!

Reply #802045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Then Perth Wanker posts ..."

Who is this person who keeps waiting for Perthworld to post just so he can call him a wanker? Pretty idiotic behaviour.

Reply #802048 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

"There is one cairns import thats lives in the same apartment complex as me, who has settled in pretty well and doesn't look like leaving anytime soon. Which I find odd because the other 2 imports returned to the states before the borders shut. I believe cairns may have him locked in for next season."

Would have to be Machado. Being from Brazil I can't blame him for not wanting to go there. Their leader is an idiot. Even if he has a home in the US why go there either?

Reply #802051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld is harmless, just enjoys attention.

Reply #802052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed, so i dont know why someone thinks they need to call him a wanker every time he posts. Its bordering on bullying.

Reply #802053 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

So we have confirmation re: Machado. Cairns apartment dude - I imagine he is shacked up with a local?

Plumlee staying has got me CURIOUS. A quick search reveals despite only signing with the Wildcats in early January he had been dating an Australian model since September. The story checks out.

Reply #802054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plumlee was already on his way to Australia. The Wildcats offer was just convenient timing for both parties.

Reply #802055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if Bogut retires should the kings sign plumlee if they can

Reply #802057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plumlee has done very well from Basketball, he won't be chasing a paycheck but will chase lifestyle.

His GF is from Brisbane so Queensland clubs may come calling but I believe he is quite happy in Perth.

Reply #802058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't know that Sydney is a preferred free agent destination now that players know what their owner is all about.

Reply #802059 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I would guess it's probably Machado as he's supposed to have agreed to re-sign with Cairns to a 2 year deal.

Reply #802060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plumlee wasn't very good so he'd want to be cheap!

Reply #802061 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:15 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754