Anonymous
Years ago

Boomers and Opals 2021

What will the teams look like in 16 months time?

Will we see Bogut and Mitchell? Both will be 36y,o.
Fringe players push out established players?
Young prospects break out and force there way in?

2021 Boomers depth
88 6'0 P.Mills CG
92 6'1 B.Cotton CG
92 6’2 M.Mccarron CG
90 6’3 N.Sobey CG
88 6’4 C.Goulding SG
90 6'4 M.Dellavedova PG
92 6’5 M.Creek SF
97 6’5 M.Thybulle G/F
89 6’6 C.Gliddon G/F
95 6’6 D.Exum PG
00 6’6 J.Green G/F
90 6'7 R.Broekhoff SF
97 6’7 D.Adel SF
97 6’7 K.Noi SF
87 6'8 J.Ingles G/F
95 6’8 X.Cooks CF
93 6’9 N.Kay PF
86 6'10 A.Baynes C
89 6’10 A.Brandt C
90 6'10 B.Motum PF
92 6’10 M.Mathiang C
96 6’10 B.Simmons PG/PF
96 6’10 J.Bolden PF
98 6’10 W.Magnay PF/C
95 6’11 J.Landale PF/C
84 7'0 A.Bogut C
98 7'0 I.Humphries C
97 7’1 T.Maker PF/C
Anyone else?

2021 Opals depth
85 5’5 L.Mitchell PG
95 5’6 T.Mangakahia PG
89 5’7 L.Mansfield PG
93 5’8 T.Lavey PG
97 5’9 T.Tupaea CG
88 5’10 S.Whitcomb SG
90 5'10 K.Ebzery CG
92 5’10 N.Seekamp PG
92 5’10 R.Cole SG
92 5’10 M.Garrick SG
90 5’11 T.Madgen SG
94 5’11 A.Wilson G/F
96 5’11 K.Wallace CG
93 6’0 L.Nicholson G/F
87 6'1 J.Ohea G/F
88 6’2 K.Griffin PF
91 6’2 A.Kunek SF
92 6’2 R.Allen SF
93 6’2 S.Blicavs CF
94 6'2 S.Talbot SF
94 6’2 D.Garbin PF
96 6’2 K.Froling SF
88 6’3 A.Bishop PF
96 6’3 A.Froling PF
89 6'4 C.George PF/C
96 6’4 A.Smith PF/C
98 6’4 Z.Aokuso PF/C
99 6’4 E.Magbegor PF/C
89 6'5 M.Tolo C
96 6’5 L.Scherf C
91 6'8 E.Cambage C
Anyone else?

Topic #47109 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

matur maker pf early 2nd round

Reply #802102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So many over hyped players in those lists. Thankfully and hopefully the selectors got some idea. Creek is far better than half that list.

Reply #802105 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

I think when all is said and done, having to put up with an extra 12 months of these threads will be the single worst thing covid-19 does to us.

That's right, even worse than it gifting Perth a title.

Reply #802111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

00 Makur maker not 98 matur maker or 06 mapur maker

Reply #802112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

00 6'11 Makur Maker PF/C

Reply #802118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As soon as I read "there way in" I knew it was crap.

Reply #802119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe start a fantasy topic rather than this 'reality' stuff. At this point in time it's so pointless with another 1 year to go. Oh Perthwanker said the Olympics were "GO" yet another thing wrong. The AFL too was another one I recall as was the NRL. The Forum here is just deteriorating to the LCD.

Reply #802120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magnay could take Boguts spot pushing Landale to Centre.

Reply #802121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the 2021 start date definitely shakes up the favoured Opals lineup of late. They have been too slow for international basketball for about 12 months now, so I don't see that group getting any better over the next 16 months.

Reply #802140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I think we need Cole and Kunek in the lineup.
George is no longer a pf, she and Tolo should be battling for the backup centre spot.
I would like to see a smaller lineup with Cambage in the middle surrounded by 4 perimeter players. That would mean more of Talbot, Allen or Kunek playing the 4and adding a better 2 like Whitcomb or Cole.

Reply #802142 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Nick Kay was born in 1992.

Reply #802151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still quite a few men under 25. Plenty of talent available for the future in comparison to the women

Reply #802152 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Probably a quarter of the guys on the depth chart have no reasonable chance of making the team. I'm not sure in what world Gliddon, Sobey, Humphries or Noi get a real look at this team. I like Noi but at his position his only chance is if some players fall to COVID19. Gliddon and Sobey aint shit.

Reply #802155 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I think 2021 will actually find the Boomers in a better situation to medal than 2020 would have. You have the emergence of Josh Green, who should have an NBA contract by then; you have the likely naturalization of Bryce Cotton. Ben Simmons has a year to get healthy. Mattise Thybulle another year to grow and improve. Sure, the older guard gets a year older, and there are question marks on Andrew Bogut. But I think the team we will end up with next year will have the best of both old and new. A lot of very tough decisions will have to be made and there is no particular position where we'd be under-strength.

Another upside if the fact that Spain should have aged out of competing at the absolute top level. They've been a thorn in our side like Lithuania used to be and the sooner they bugger off a bit, the better. They're about an Olympic campaign older than our older guys and Pau Gasol is likely to retire.

Reply #802191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spain have some really nice young players also. We,don't hear of them much because they play in Europe.
The amount of French prospects is unbelievable...They have about 5 guys in each mock draft for the next 5 years.

Reply #802192 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

ME - so if someone gets an NBA contract, he is entitled to a NT spot? Apart from obvious athleticism, Green has not shown anything much (Olgun can try to glorify his play but one fact is for sure that he went from a high lottary pick to mid twenties due to his offensive game) and based on his potential and if he develops as everyone hopes he may be an important part in the future but personally I don't see him as part of a team that aims for gold (Brown's words).
The team needs depth especially in PG/SG spots, players capable of creating for others and themselves and great (not good, not decent) shooters, and a backup for Ingles. The main issue will be cohesion and how they will be able to play against team defense under FIBA rules. Atm Ben (if healthy), Patty, Joe, Aron, and hate to say Bogut (if healthy) should be locks, all others have been so inconsistent for various reasons and will need to fight for a spot.

As far as I'm aware, BA has generated a list of some 60+ names that should be considered for the initial squad, so yes there are many others missing from this list.

Reply #802194 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"ME - so if someone gets an NBA contract, he is entitled to a NT spot?"

Entitled, no. But if we're being realistic, a lottery pick draftee will likely find a spot on the team somewhere. He's certainly far more in the mix for 2021 than he would be this year, and his first year in the NBA may or may not cement that.

As for shooters, I am not sure shooting will be our problem. Cotton, Mills, Ingles, Baynes, Broekhoff are all guys who can shoot the rock and I'd expect all of them on the team if healthy.

Reply #802202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't see green in the squad, it could be a couple of years before we see him in a Boomers jersey, has to wait for mills, cotton, Thybulle, ingles, Broekhoff to drop out, even creek.

The next squad without all the vets
All U25
96 Simmons / 95 Exum / 98 Mcdowell-White etc
97 Thybulle / 02 Giddey / 02 King etc
00 Green / 97 Adel / 97 Noi etc
98 Magnay / 96 Bolden / 95 Cooks etc
95 Landale / 97 Maker / 98 Humphries etc
We lookin good for the future if our guards can shoot the 3 at a good clip.

Reply #802206 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

From all the messages and indications, the draft will be skewed towards older players, mainly NCAA juniors and seniors ie greater sample size for decision making and selection, which doesn't help Green. Most boards see him mid 20s, which means no guaranteed contract. He does have physical predisposition thus potential but his skillsets need lots of work.

'We lookin good for the future if our guards can shoot the 3 at a good clip'

Yet you picked WMW and Giddey who are so inconsistent and unproven. From suggested Exum would be their most consistent outside shooter and he is not that consistent either. The team needs players who thrive under pressure, a few on this team but most of them rarely if ever played a game that really mattered.

I'd say let them fight for spots, invite as many as you can and the selectors may be surprised ie Kay selection and performance. Stop picking them based on height or wing span, this is not an NBA draft

Reply #802214 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Impossible to know what happens when the guard changes to the kids. Some of them are going to get Olympic experience next year regardless. But most of the kids listed there wont make the 2021 team. In four years who knows what we're looking at. We're certainly producing some talent but I am yet to see anyone I can earmark as the next Mills, Ingles, Delly, Baynes and Bogut.

Luckily the next squad could very well still have Delly and Cotton in it, I think both will be around 32. Broekhoff will be 33 or 34 and still in the mix. I still don't see 2023/4 being an absolutely clean handover. But certainly the Boomers core that the team has been based on for over a decade wont be there.

Reply #802260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly and Broekhoff are the same age. Both 30 this year, Cotton is 2 years younger, 28 this year.

Reply #802261 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Wonder if the Olympic's schedule-change to 2021 will affect Bret Brown's involvement.

Reply #802264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons
Mills
Ingles
Landale
Baynes

Dellavedova
Cotton
Exum
Broekhoff
Kay
T Maker
Bogut.

2023/24
Simmons
Cotton
Thybulle
Magnay ( could be in NBA by then)
Landale

Exum
Dellavedova
Green (Mills could still be around)
Broekhoff
Kay or Bolden
T Maker
M Maker or Humphries.

Reply #802270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

* Baynes and Ingles along with Mills will be in twighlight of their careers but still good chance at 2023/24.

Reply #802271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every one is entitled to an opinion but Thon Makur is a bust, I wish some you people watch him in the nba.

Reply #802274 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I think people are really jumping the gun when it comes to Magnay in the NBA. He has shown potential but he still wouldn't be anything more than training fodder at this point.

Reply #802276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

21 - (Unknown)Asia Cup
21- Tokyo Olympics
23 - Phillipines/Japan/Indonesia World Cup
24 - Paris Olympics
25 - (Unknown)Asia Cup
27 - (Unknown)World Cup
28 - (Unknown)Olympics

23 WC is the cut off I think, I don't see Anyone older than 1990 playing beyond this.
Bogut won’t be there and No Baynes, Ingles, Goulding most likely. Mills 50/50 I reckon at 35y.o

24 Olympics could be the cut off for Delly, broekhoff. Both 34 in 24 although plenty of other options available.

25 Asia cup for creek, Kay, cotton. All born 92, 33 in 25 but will be 35 in 27, possibly too old.

27 Lots of players in prime, those 95 to 98 and many youngsters to come in, those born 00, 01, 02, 03

28 same as above

Reply #802277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2022 Commonwealth games but that will just be an nbl team.

Reply #802279 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

"Impossible to know what happens when the guard changes to the kids" - correct

A team like the one Anon listed above for 2021 makes more sense and is very balanced if everyone healthy. I like to be optimist in all this since Aus does have a really good base to select the right fit and be really competitive for years ahead. However I'd be very careful what to say on this board, yes the kids read comments and get hyped or disappointed depending on perception, which can have detrimental effect on them personally. There's only one advice - keep working your ass off and your time will come.

Reply #802285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thybulle over Exum though

Reply #802287 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

Not really if you consider that Exum played with most already. If you want Thybulle as a shooter, maybe dropping Maker would be a better option. In any case a good selection problem to have.

What I noticed with some powerhouses like Serbia and Lithuania, they usually invite 35 players to initial selection camp and go from there. BA should do something similar despite the cost. BA want results yet don't want to commit financially.

Reply #802288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some tough decisions to make post 2021.
I think only mills will survive for those older than 1990.

That means finding solid players to replace Bogut, Baynes, Ingles and Goulding.

At centre we have Landale, Humphries, Maker, Magnay and mathiang as the potential options to replace Baynes n bogut.
Maker n Magnay may be better suited to pf though.

Ingles is the tough replacement, we have Creek, Adel, Noi, green and Thybulle.

Goulding is another tough cover, only cotton has the same shooting ability, green and Thybulle are elite defensively but aren't elite shooters.

Reply #802289 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

We don't need replacement for Bogut, the game moved away from a typical center, thus Humphries will struggle to make a team. Have not seen him play recently so can't comment but he should be somewhere playing in a real competitive setting in order to get better, G league is not for developing talent. Not sure why he left Adriatic league. I'd have Bogut on the team just because of experience and influence, nothing else.

Joe is tough one to replace, none of the listed is nowhere close, maybe we could bulk up Giddey instead.

As for replacing Goulding - that's why BA list includes players who are not listed on this board - Vasiljevic is the closest to be considered. Half way through the season he was the best 3 point shooter in NCAA (over 50%) but it went down a lot when his PGs went down injured and he had to carry the team in the second half of the season in ACC. I. White is another one, a bit undersized but a really great outside shooter. I mentioned only two not listed above since they played for high majors but there are others good shooters in mid-majors that could potentially improve in years ahead.

I just think we all should be excited with talent BA has available, I hope they don't screw up as usual.

Reply #802303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humphries left the aba league because he never played unless the game was over then he got a few minutes.

Reply #802304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vasljevic can't defend and is barely 6’2.

Reply #802305 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

^2 yrs ago I'd probably agree with you but not the scout now, plus he's slimmer and quicker which helped. He is a 6'3 rebounding guard, led NCAA in transition 3s last year, obviously really good at spacing. Importantly he played some tough games for NT during junior years and at Uni games, giving him important experience. Some NBA teams like his toughness and ability to shoot the rock - don't think so much to draft him but given chance he could surprise a few.

Interestingly nobody mentions height when talking Petty or Cotton yet many are happy to use that as an argument to discount players otherwise. The only way to find out is to put them all in the mix.

Reply #802322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vasljevic is not lightning quick like patty.

Reply #802323 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

True, but discussion is about defensive ability and again a smart coach can exploit miss-matches and shoot over or post up against Patty. We all remember Rodriguez attacking him in the last seconds at Rio Olympics (don't want to get involved in discussion about the call). SA plays him for his shooting and spacing created by his speed plus experience and personality, BA has the same approach. His defensive weaknesses are minimized by help defense in international games.

It's a mute argument anyway as it all started with a statement 'we can't replace Goulding', suddenly CG is a good defender? Yes they are all replaceable and Joe will be a tough one to replace.

Reply #802329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vasljevic will first need to get himself a professional contract and second prove himself against men before he should even come into the conversation, Drimic, McVeigh, Naar all very highly rated college players that have shown minimum.

Reply #802331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whitcombs doing pretty good in the euroleague, hard to choose between her and Mitchell with another year added.

Reply #802332 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

^still long way to 23/24 and beyond and replacements for current players, I'm not talking about next year. His progression's been followed by those interested since 2014 and always upward which says something about his intangibles. He will definitely earn his contract soon.

Also don't think it's fair calling these 3 players 'a bust' (my interpretation), imo they made a mistake going back to a league or maybe teams that really pays so little attention to players' development. Drmic with a pass first PG would be a far better player, same with Jack, so put these three together on any team and give them play time and you would be surprised. It's always about fit and opportunity.

As I said, BA has created a list with lots of names for consideration - and yes it has these 3 included - which means the future is bright. Senior NT should be fluid with 22-24 players in the mix with probably 9-10 locks for 2021, but more open later. Most of players are being monitored, followed and tested through various opportunities ie qualifiers, Uni games... many don't realize that for example Magney showed his ability during recent Uni games and that set the tone for the season. Nobody has a crystal ball to say how the current stock will develop and stay healthy so we need all hands on deck.

Reply #802336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never called them a bust, just show minimum. You play with the players around you, good players adapt. Since you seem to have all the inside information, let's see the list. I do agree with you about a lot changes in a few years. There is a a few 25/28 year olds that seem to go under the radar.

Reply #802352 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

^shown minimum given opportunity, Drmic also victim of past injuries I believe.

Also won't go Kevin White on the list, all the information presented to us was given in confidence. Try Olgun instead :)

I don't mind talking arguments but discounting players based on their misfortunes or perceived shortcomings should not be a way how we support our NT and a squad. I feel the same about our NT - there is no A, B, C... team - it's always NT with the best players and fits available, no what ifs. What if Ben played, what if Exum was healthy... there has to be always someone else to step in, may not be a superstar but this person will definitely appreciate the opportunity and bust his chops to show appreciation. The public should acknowledge that. And NT is not about entertaining, it's about achieving goals, who cares if we play ugly yet win gold.

Reply #802355 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Just watched Boomers beat Team USA again for the first time since I saw it live in Melbourne. What an absolutely inspirational feat it was. The game had everything and the Boomers looked like they genuinely were going to win the gold medal at the world cup.

It sucks beyond belief that, once again, they couldn't drape anything around their necks. This team has knocked on the door of greatness so many times yet have fallen at the last hurdle.

I really really hope 2021 isn't more of the same.

I think when looking at potential line ups, you have to look at the reasons why we fell at the World Cup. It was our depth at point guard, shooting guard, and center. In the last games, Andrew Bogut and Aron Baynes were spent. Patty Mills was overused and tired. Ingles was overused and tired.

You'd like to see the like-for-like replacements for Sobey, Gliddon and Barlow being Simmons, Cotton and Broekhoff.

Then I'd be interested in what we can do in the back-up center spot. I expect Bogut to actually have another go-around but you cannot rely on just him and Baynes. Is there a place for a Magnay or a Maker?

Outside of that, not too much needs to be fixed. I'd certainly want the core of the 2019 team to see its way through, plus Cotton, Simmons, Thybulle, Broekhoff, maybe Exum.

Add those 5 names and the bench improves dramatically.

Reply #802473 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:40 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754