Anonymous
Years ago

NBL support

Like any professional sporting league right now, if you are a true basketball fan, and want a healthy league to watch, teams will need support (from those who can) in memberships/merch etc. You don't have to be a banking genius to realise that sponsorship dollars will fall as companies are doing it tough like many of us.
This is not a call to support a particular team, but more so basketball in general! If you can, support hoops.

Topic #47125 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

These clubs are privately owned unlike AFL clubs so its on the owners to tip in as they are "for -profit" ventures.

Reply #802561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How are AFL clubs owned exactly? I've never understood.

Reply #802565 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Via membership I think?

these clubs are privately owned unlike AFL clubs so its on the owners to tip in as they are "for -profit" ventures.

Heavy quotes on the "for-profit".

Owners aren't making money on the NBL unless it's Perth's owner (even then have they been making profits recently?).

Realistically if you're an NBL owner it's at best a tax write off and some goodwill attached to your name/businesses, at worst you're plowing through lots of $$$ and there's only so much tolerance for that.

In the same way many owners and those working for the clubs try to support the club as best they can within their own limits, we should absolutely be doing the same to support our club within each persons limits.

Reply #802566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it's funny to think how much of what we consume and watch and
is built on a house of cards

Reply #802567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The are still for profit businesses unlike AFL clubs so if they did turn a profit it goes to the owners pockets...because they aren't making money doesn't mean they are looked at differently.

Reply #802568 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

because they aren't making money doesn't mean they are looked at differently.

The OP is saying we should support the NBL clubs during the rough times, the response is the owner should pony up because it's for-profit.

My response is, for-profit or non-for-profit it's irrelevant, the clubs don't make money, either they are supported or they fold. There's a limit as to the owner's support without community/member support. If you want your club to avoid struggles, support your club as best you can.

so if they did turn a profit it goes to the owners pockets

I don't think that's an "if" that needs to be grappled with any time soon. NBL clubs (aside from Perth) don't make profit.

Reply #802569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its tough times and any business can fold be it profit or non profit.

At least with the AFL clubs they are member owned (AGM people vote etc) and by virtue so is the league itself.

The NBL clubs that are private entities as is the league itself are private businesses so yes you can choose to support them or not but if they survive you get no say in the running of the club as its a private business.

Do i think the NBL survives, No not in its present form as many have pointed out they don't make money and you'd think they'll make even less next season if they have one.

I wouldn't be shocked if we are looking at an NBL that resembles an NBL1 on steroids as opposed to whats been on offer in recent years.

Reply #802571 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Perhaps it would help if we knew how the NBL clubs are placed and how they're responding to the current situation.

Their costs presumably are less in the off-season than in-season. Particularly as they wouldn't be hiring training venues and paying uncontracted players at the moment. Likewise, they don;t have overseas recruiting trips to fund. Do they continue to pay some contracted players or not in between seasons?

What's the impact on revenue streams? Do NBL clubs receive any sponsorship revenue or sell much merchandise in the off season? Are there revenue-generating things they do in the off-season that they can't do (e.g., school visits, clinics, etc.)?

Have any contracted or otherwise employed staff been stood down at any NBL clubs. Like coaches, office staff etc.? Are the clubs able to sign up for the JobKeeper arrangements?

Reply #802572 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I've been surfing the last few days and asking around to see if friends want anything so we can save on postage.

Reply #802576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings would've made money this year, like Smith or not he’s a smart businessman. They good crowds and good sponsorships. Merchandise was selling well as well.

Reply #802577 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Support your club. The AFL are also in it to make money, and they do, bucketloads of it despite the current doom and gloom that they tell us. And they will be fine after all this is done. So, support your NBL club also, regardless of it being a private enterprise. Every business needs help to keep going. If you have the means to do so, then do it.

Reply #802578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just wait until they announce they will only have 2 imports per team next year.

Reply #802579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Kings would've made money this year, like Smith or not he's a smart businessman. They good crowd"

Did they really get good crowds? They got better crowds, but they also spent a lot.

Reply #802580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They averaged just under 11000 per game, never before even in the boom times have kings got near that. There list wasn't as expensive as most think. Ware and Bogut on big coin, Cooks probably next but Tate was budget import, Newley and Lisch took substantial pay cuts and the rest probably not that great.

Reply #802582 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Without genuine evidence (club saying "we made a profit"), we shouldn't assume any NBL club makes a profit.

"Feels like we had good sponsorship and crowds this year" just means people don't understand how hard it is to make a profit.

It would be interesting to find out how many times an NBL club has posted a semblance of a profit in the last 30 years.

Suspect it's pretty much Perth!

Reply #802586 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

From the below article:

Sydney Kings owner Paul Smith, who sold sports consultancy Repucom in a $US195m deal in 2016, says he will lose several million dollars this year.

"But we are investing and can handle it," Smith says. “We needed to do that to get the fans back to the Kings. We even spent $1m this year on a billboard advertising campaign, but we think that worked. It was probably worth $3m-$4m in exposure for us."

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/basketball/nbl-riding-wave-of-popularity-but-financial-gains-are-slow-to-follow/news-story/0c50fd4d805b86442a870b3b3a9947c6

Reply #802590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We think that worked...

Probably worth...

I don't know that Smith is the savvy businessman everyone pretends he is.

Reply #802596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He sold a sports business in 2016 for $195 million, I'd say that is a very good businessman. That’s US dollars to, about 300 million Australian.

Reply #802597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"We think that worked...
Probably worth..."

I don't know that Smith is the savvy businessman everyone pretends he is.

I'd be pretty sure that some wanker posting from his couch on the dole is someone that Smith doesn't care about.
Kestlemann and partner sold DoDo for about $A200mill, so I guess (Smith) $A300mill. gives him some serious cred too.

Reply #802614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remember reading an article where the Perth CEO said they turn a profit if they make the Grand final otherwise they are roughly break even.

I've got a couple of points:

- whether it's profit or non profit, I really get a lot of enjoyment from following basketball. So yes I'm happy to continue to support it with the money I spend on my entertainment, assuming we still get something of value for that money.

- can someone explain the AFL ownership structure a little better? So if I buy a membership, I'm a part owner of a club? and a few AFL clubs do make big profits, so where does that go to if they're not for profit?

Reply #802621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The AFL clubs are non profits and technically member owned and members vote at the AGM like a shareholder does for an ASX listed company.

Slightly different re the profits/dividends obviously than an ASX listed entities but essentially members vote for board members to represent there interest and make decisions on there behalf.

The clubs are all equal partners/shareholders in the AFL and an AFL commission overseas the games and is appointed to look after the game on behalf of its shareholders (Clubs who in turn look after the members).

Its clear that NBL is private and if they make a profit it goes to an owner rather than being reinvested into the club like AFL clubs do.

Reply #802629 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Its clear that NBL is private and if they make a profit it goes to an owner rather than being reinvested into the club like AFL clubs do.

Given NBL clubs don't make a profit unless you're Perth Wildcats in a Grand Final, whether or not an owner reinvests the money is purely hypothetical, verging on utopian fantasy.

Reply #802634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The afl prop up at least 6/8 clubs so money does come in, not certain how that is not for profit. The MCG would go broke without the afl so run them a good deal on rental, where as nbl clubs get screw re rental. The afl did have foresight to buy docklands which again the must have made money so I'm not certain how they are not for profit. Certainly not an equal playing field.

Reply #802649 | Report this post

Kai  
Years ago

Its time to engage current, ex NBA or even pre-NBA (Melo) guys to buy / build NBL Clubs... could be the next level we need..

Reply #802651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Outside of cairns do club members at United, 36ers or Perth get to vote at an AGM on the board and put up candidates?

Reply #802652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would they? It's a private company.

Reply #802656 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

ITT nobody knows what "not for profit" means.

Reply #802674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, it's a sad day to see all the experts here not understand the concept of NFP.

Reply #802771 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:58 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754