Anonymous
Years ago

Wildcats for sale.

Cats hunt Asian tiger

ROSS LEWIS

The Perth Wildcats are up for sale - but only to an investor willing to embrace the club's vision to expand into Asia.

Andrew Vlahov, who has a 90 per cent interest in the NBL franchise, has revealed he would eagerly give up his majority stake to an individual or company capable of turning the club into a force in Asian sport.

Vlahov believes Asia and its booming Tiger economies and basketball scene can provide tremendous growth for the Wildcats. But to capitalise on opportunities they need a financial backer with the cash and expertise to enhance the club's branding in the region.

"I would happily put up my shareholding to see the club prosper in Asia and quite frankly that is what it might require," Vlahov said.

"It is like what Nick Tana did to fund the Glory and the ARU has done with the Force but those levels of finances are presently beyond me, our club and the NBL competition."

The Wildcats are valued at over $2 million.

Asia has embraced basketball, with interest spiked by the success of China's NBA superstar Yao Ming. And Vlahov can foresee the set up of a Champions League-type competition involving Asian and Australasian teams within a few years.

The level of support inspired Vlahov to stage the first NBL game played in Asia when the Wildcats hosted Sydney in Singapore in January. Perth will play Brisbane in the city state next month.

Wildcats management also ran the Singapore Cup, featuring four top Asian club teams, in April, demonstrating an ability to showcase basketball overseas. A new investor would have to intensify the club's marketing in Asia.

"I've only ever viewed myself as a custodian of this club," Vlahov said. "The true ownership of the Wildcats is with the people of WA.

"But for us to take the club to the next stage, and put it beyond the success levels of the 1990s, it will require a person, or company, prepared to invest in its future.

"Obviously I plan to stay involved to work with the new partner or partners to ensure a successful conclusion to the Asian vision."

A company with links to China's booming economy has shown interest in providing financial support to Perth, especially their Asian operations. Vlahov and NBA star Luc Longley bought the Wildcats from mogul Kerry Stokes in 1999. Mack Hall, who has a 10 per cent share, and Vlahov are current owners.

The support for basketball in Asia was underlined by the Four Nations series, involving Australia, China, Lithuania and New Zealand and managed by the Wildcats, in Perth during August.

The event was televised in China, attracting 14 million viewers - more than the audience in that country for the Australian Open tennis finals - and generating $2 million for WA.

Topic #4713 | Report this topic

Thomo  
Years ago

Interesting , Asian cup and the vision is a good idea but is selling the club going to achieve it or will we see another powerhouse club sold and license tranfered to another state, and the demise of the wildcats

maybe he needs to generate cash after busting the bank balance when rogers came back to town and his wallet got hungry again

Reply #54374 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

I'll give you $3.45, its all i have

Reply #54405 | Report this post

m dizzle  
Years ago

I see your $3.45 and raise you 2 paperclips and a button

Reply #54408 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Ill see that bet and raise u a lock of my hair and a paddlepop stick.

Reply #54409 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

ill chuck in a mother of pearl

Reply #54442 | Report this post

Bandit  
Years ago

That should clinch the deal then!

Reply #54456 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

And don't forget what bonus you get if you buy the Wildcats within the next 30 minutes...

You get to inherit the contracts of Paul Rogers, Matt Burston and Tony Ronaldson for not only the remainder of this season but also next season.

What great value for money!

What are you waiting for?

If you are within the next 15 callers you will receive a free set of knives confiscated from Wildcats.com.au forum users who have unfairly targeted Shawn Redhage's back!

Reply #54460 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:12 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754