Ticking
Years ago

Daryl Pearce & Brett Maher

Couple of topics

The Ice man averaged something like 42% 3PO his entire career and while with Adelaide from its very first year, 1982 - 1992 he averaged around 15 or 20 points per game alongside great players like Green, Davis, Jones.

His overall game was so silky, not just his shooting.

6 foot, 3 tall, I have not seen a cleaner shooter
His performance in Grand Finals was even better, averaging 23,4&4

If you watch the 86 Finals, he takes it up to players like Leroy.

He also won another championship in 94 with the Giants although had much lower averages in Victoria.

Is it fair to say he is under rated as a 36er and Nbl great? I know he his revered in the club but I mean with fans.

He once scored 11 3's in a single hand which was the Nbl record but apparently Brett Maher equaled that in 1996.
I would be interested if anyone has footage of that game? I was at that game at Clipsal Powerhouse and Maher went off.

I think we had Jo Jo English that year haha

Topic #47143 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

His number is retired so fair to say he is acknowledged as a great

Reply #802883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Darryl.

Reply #802884 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I don't think he's underrated so much as under recognised. Those familiar with him generally rate him very highly, he's just not a name that has the same level of recognition as some others.

Reply #802886 | Report this post

Ticking  
Years ago

Sorry typo
It's Darryl
Yes his number is retired which os cudos by the club
I refer to Fam engagement

I think he was the second best player of the 80’s

Reply #802887 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

He killed teams with his passing. That was his biggest threat. The 3 bomb was just his dagger.

Reply #802895 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

In terms of Adelaide snipers I'd have Pearce, Rillie then Maher with the previous two certainly lacking the adulation and respect that Brett receives.

They could do with one of those guys for sure and whilst they continue to have issues with their 3ball, the legend status of those in question will only increase.

2nd best player of the 80s? That's massive praise, but who was #1?

Reply #802896 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I'm not Ticking, but I can guarantee the answer is Leroy.

Reply #802898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd agree with koberulz. Well respected by fans who got to see him play. And probably by anyone who got to watch the Golden Years documentary. I think he was amazing. Watching him run screen and roll plays with Davis was poetry on a basketball court. The smoothest jump shooter from 3 point land that I can remember seeing and one of my 4 favourite 36ers of all time.

That said, I wouldn't rate The Iceman as second best player of the 1980s. Too many other players who could do similar things back then - David Graham, Michael Johnson, Ron Radliff etc. Plus there were great players in other positions, like Loggins, Green, Davis, Davies, Crawford, Bruton, Smyth, etc., whom I'd rate ahead or equal, in terms of their NBL performances across that decade.

Reply #802905 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

In terms of Adelaide snipers I'd have Pearce, Rillie then Maher with the previous two certainly lacking the adulation and respect that Brett receives.

They could do with one of those guys for sure and whilst they continue to have issues with their 3ball, the legend status of those in question will only increase.

2nd best player of the 80s? That's massive praise, but who was #1?

Reply #802909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not surprising anyone who didn't see Pearce play would know how good he was, not with the terrible job the NBL does in celebrating its history. Pearce, like most great players of years past, are just forgotten.

Reply #802911 | Report this post

Ticking  
Years ago

To clarify
I meant from the 36ers, he was second best.

Davis then Pearce

Gaze, Loggins and others were better but Pearce was right up there with these guys in that decade, no doubt

I agree with above the Nbl should do better at keeping these guys around
I also liked Darryl as commentator

Radliffe was a wonderful player also at Bullets

Reply #802970 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Got to train with him when he was at Giants & he was a great guy & very helpful. Some of the other big names didn't care much for new guys but he went out of his way to include everyone. Always had a heap of respect for him after that. Thought he would have gone the coaching route for sure?

Reply #802977 | Report this post

Gazeeee  
Years ago

Just ask gaze what he thinks of the ice man he rates him top 5 and one the purest and technically correct shooters ever to play in the nbl

Reply #803180 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:04 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754