Anonymous
Years ago

BSA bailing out clubs?

After reading a previous post, would BSA be in a financial position to bail out any clubs coming to it claiming poverty? What is really in BSA'S war chest? Surely if most clubs fold there is no BSA.
If so what would be criteria? And if clubs are really hit that hard, how many survive to start new season? Watching a financial show giving advice about businesses, with interest rates so low, what assets could be put up as collateral to secure a loan, maybe we could see some private ownership come in.

Topic #47144 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt that any club will fall over though it will be tight for some clubs with Southern and Norwood springing to mind. Several clubs seem to be spending money before actually receiving the revenue which means when a hiccup occurs they will struggle.

If BSA does support any club then I would think that they need to have a review of their financial practices to ensure they are able to repay the interest free advance. That might mean some belt tightening in the coming season/s - other clubs who do not need that support have already managed themselves and should not be penalised.

Depending on how clubs have constructed contracts, i.e. employees v contractors they should be entitled to the jobkeeper money to help pay employees. There may be further support coming though details are vague at the moment.

If things continue to go south for these clubs then perhaps consolidation of some clubs is an option maybe targeting an 8 team competition.

Some clubs are financially very strong and should ride this out comfortably

Reply #802914 | Report this post

Denny Crane  
Years ago

I would be thinking that with no NBL1 this season, many clubs should have money left over since they dont have to pay any imports, yes?

Reply #802947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, that money comes from sponsors, wink wink.

Reply #802956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you'll find the majority of the money for the imports was already spent. Airfares are the biggest expense. Shitty timing of when the virus hit.

Reply #803014 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:48 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754