koberulz
Years ago

Sydney Kings owner Paul Smith admits COVID-19 could fold NBL

https://7news.com.au/sport/basketball/kings-boss-fearful-as-nbl-faces-hit-c-985457

Sydney NBL owner Paul Smith has grave fears for the immediate future of the league and has suggested Australians are still underestimating the seriousness of the coronavirus crisis.

The long-time sports marketer and administrator admits he's never faced a challenge like it and that, with no broadcast deal to lean on, the NBL will struggle to exist if crowds are unable to attend next season.

Topic #47160 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just play the following year, take a year off.

Reply #803492 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Under the two-year deal, fans will have access to the entire 2019-20 Hungry Jack's NBL season for free, with 67 games broadcast on SBS VICELAND - an 86% increase in free-to-air coverage compared to the 2018-19 season – and all 126 games available live and free on streaming platform SBS On Demand.

https://nbl.com.au/news/article/nbl20-broadcast-live-on-sbs-viceland-and-espn

Still another year to go of the broadcast deal with SBS & ESPN.

Reply #803493 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Your point?

Reply #803496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bloke never stops crying.

Reply #803498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is Freddy Fittler that he refers to

Reply #803500 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

NRL player Brad Fittler.

Reply #803502 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Your point?

That you posted incorrect information.

Reply #803503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Met the guy in real life, absolute chump.

Reply #803504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fittler hasn't played in years, he’s the nsw coach at present. Rugby league that is, not union.

Reply #803507 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That you posted incorrect information.
No I didn't.

Reply #803508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz is NEVER wrong.

Reply #803509 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I added nothing to what's in the news article, it says in my post exactly what it says on the 7news website.

Which is that the NBL isn't getting money from a TV deal that would allow them to play behind closed doors. Which is true.

Reply #803510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To this point, how many have actually paid up their memberships. I know I have not but will. I wonder how this is affecting clubs.

Reply #803512 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Wildcats renewal deadline passed before this hit, so they had everyone already locked in.

Reply #803514 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Which is that the NBL isn't getting money from a TV deal that would allow them to play behind closed doors. Which is true.

Which is neither here nor there, the NBL has a broadcast deal.

Reply #803515 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They don't have one they can lean on, which is what the article actually says.

Reply #803516 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Yes, they do as I posted it was a two year agreement.

Reply #803517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they never had a broadcast deal before, nothing has changed. If the game cost so much to broadcast out of the nbl budget, don't broadcast it, maybe do a Friday night and Sunday afternoon game only, that should save a bundle. The quality of the players make the nbl, you can’t afford to lose the Cottons, etc of the league. It should make going to games top priority for spectators if there is no tv.

Reply #803520 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Zodiac, I believe the points are that:

1. the broadcast deal might not be honoured (years ago, Ten failed to deliver on many agreed aspects of their deal with the NBL); and/or

2. the absent TV broadcast revenue not being received by the NBL is a barrier to medium-term viability, since there could similarly be no ticket sales i.e. where would the NBL's revenue come from?

Reply #803521 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

There is no point it's muckraking by Smith and or a rival network.

1. Aside from the 2 year contract SBS Viceland are still showing replays of NBL games every weekday during the off-season hardly the actions of a broadcast partner wanting to sever ties.

2. The NBL is funded by LK an absence of funds from a TV deal or no ticket sales (individual club problems) is hardly a barrier to the league surviving. The league continues as long as LK wants it to. Nothing this clown Kings owner says has anything to do with that.

Reply #803522 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"The NBL is funded by LK an absence of funds from a TV deal or no ticket sales (individual club problems) is hardly a barrier to the league surviving."

I think you're just arguing for the sake of it now if you think a lack of revenue isn't a barrier to the league's viability.

"The league continues as long as LK wants it to."

Exactly... If clubs have no revenue, how do they field teams? By extension, if the NBL struggles for revenue, how does LK prop up ALL the clubs?

Reply #803523 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

No, the point is that the AFLs and NBAs of the world have million/billion dollar TV deals that make a closed-door season viable for them. The NBL does not, and thus cannot go forward unless fans can purchase tickets.

It's not rocket science people.

Reply #803524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you're just arguing for the sake of it now if you think a lack of revenue isn't a barrier to the league's viability.

Are you actually unaware how much LK underwrites the league and it's teams?

Since LK took over ownership of the league he's lost/invested over $30 million so far.

Reply #803525 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

That was me forgot to put my name in.

Reply #803526 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

People not understanding "lean on". Yes, they have a broadcast deal but it doesn't make the league any money. The NBL needs fans for the teams to be viable. Larry can't prop every individual team up on his own, and even if he technically could afford to, I think that would be just a little too much to ask - especially when considering that we don't know when fans could practically return to games and how long this issue will linger on for.

Reply #803527 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The NBL needs fans for the teams to be viable.

The NBL isn't viable as it is, most sports leagues aren't.

Larry can't prop every individual team up on his own, and even if he technically could afford to, I think that would be just a little too much to ask

Are people intentionally being ignorant or what? LK props up United, the Bullets (until this season), the Hawks, the 36ers and has been speculated SEM Phoenix.

LK has already pumped in over $30 million. He has a fortune of over $800 million.

The league regardless continues financially as long as he wants it to continue.

Reply #803531 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"Are you actually unaware how much LK underwrites the league and it's teams?"

No. Are you actually unaware that there's a limit to LK's wealth and willingness to lose money, and that these limits could be tested if clubs had zero revenue?

Reply #803540 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm not arguing with you any longer you and I both know LK could finance the running of this league including all 9 teams on his own for decades if he wishes.

Coronavirus may be a barrier to the league going ahead next season money from TV deals or no fans in attendance are not.

Reply #803541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the sporting landscape so barren ATM, pity NBL couldn't land a tv contract to just attract any sports fan. With AFL and rugby having so many players and coaches, logistically to have a hub would be enormous. Nbl can have 10 players, 3 coaches and some managers/physios etc.
Having 8 teams, in one city that play behind closed doors for a couple of months, get some TV money since no network is spending and see what happens. Even have a big brother behind the scenes if they want, I assume hotels are pretty much empty so give a floor to each team and let them run amok.

Reply #803542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rules of hoops.com.au forum

1. koberulz is never wrong

2. If koberulz is wrong, refer to rule #1

Reply #803547 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

I don't know that Zodiac, but curious how you do.

I wasn't intending to argue - just elaborate on Kobe's posts.

Much like everyone else on here, I don't know that the league will fold, but LK's financial commitment could be tested (understandably so given the current economic climate), which really isn't an outrageous statement.

Reply #803549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"koberulz is never wrong"

He wasn't wrong here...

Reply #803551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He never wrong 551.

Reply #803553 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

So the worst case scenario presented here is that the league folds. The NBL would be considered a vulnerable business with its model in this climate.

if the league folds, that will obviously be a disaster for the sport through all levels from top to bottom, not just the NBL only.

Therefore, what is a reasonable alternative to the worst case scenario? Take a year off entirely then come back the following year? Play a mini-season in say February which might serve as some kind of placeholder competition, just to ensure some revenue is made, then restart properly the following year?

Surely we aint folding! But I am very concerned that we might if things dont go back to normal this year.

Reply #803554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks got money from the tax paid by clubs over the cap, they have never got money from LK.

Reply #803556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul Smith just wants to play 60% of the season

Reply #803557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^
And pay 60% of the money.

Reply #803559 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Paul Smith went the unsustainable route by doing things like buying billboard ad space for millions in only his first season. He'll be the first to bail out if times get tougher but in the meantime he why not camouflage his all-in by declaring to the media that it's the league's fault. No one forced you to spend the amounts you did.

Reply #803573 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Paul Smith went the unsustainable route by doing things like buying billboard ad space for millions in only his first season. He'll be the first to bail out if times get tougher but in the meantime why not camouflage his all-in by declaring to the media that it's the league's fault. No one forced you to spend the amounts you did.

Reply #803574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or is it his interest in being owner that has folded?

Reply #803578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can say that again Perfwerld.

Reply #803579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK could graciously exit the NBL by blaming Corona

NBL teams would wash their face if the salary cap was less than 1mill for the most part. Or at least owners could scrap through dropping a few hundred each season.

Rule of thumb is income needs to be 3x salary cap

Perth do well because they get roughly 3 x the attendance other teams do

Reply #803580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings averaged 10800 so does that mean Perth 32400 at home games or are supporters still talking shit. Adelaide average 8000. Do the maths, still talking shit.

Reply #803583 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

It's simple.
There is no point in a closed competition. End of story.
If restrictions have not lifted to allow crowds into games, then the season will be delayed or postponed until they are lifted. If that appears unlikely, then they will skip a season.

Reply #803587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Take the averages of Illawarra, Brisbane, SEM and NZ into account. Guessing the was Kobe dick bag forgetting to add his moniker to his shite above

Reply #803588 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

"There is no point in a closed competition. End of story."

Agreed. Players have already agreed to a hefty pay cut, my guess is that the front office of many clubs are going to be decimated in the near future.

Sucks.

Reply #803592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like him or not Smith is spot on.

Taking a year off will set the league back massively as venue owners etc.

Taking a year off with void lease agreements at venues, who says we get them back on favorable terms, do SBS still want the product? Vet's will get work elsewhere and might not be back in a years time so perhaps the league is a significantly poorer standard etc etc lots to consider with the "just take a year off" opinion.

Reply #803597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Take a year off. Everyone can regroup and literally start again. Tassie might be ready too by then as well. Everyone then has a fair shot at all uncontracted players.

Reply #803599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baseball took a year off once in Australia

Reply #803609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The nbl is a league like all the others in australia and around the world. They are now forced to go back to the drawing board and figure out their next move because of the coronavirus.

Fortunately, the nbl does have someone on there side in LK, who can financially back it. But let's be clear, he is a business man that's about making money on his investments in the short or long term, and in the nbl case, it has to be long term.

With that said. It's now vital the nbl owners individually, show LK they can come up with a plan on how they can get thru this coronavirus situation in time enough to kick off the 20/21 nbl season. IMO the ball is in the owner's court.

Who knows what will happen if LK is forced to make a business decision on his involvement in the nbl based on his lack of confidence, in his fellow owners.

Reply #803619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did anyone notice?

Reply #803621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I really don't understand the optimism being displayed by some of the posters here.

There is less money. Less disposable income. Less money from sponsorship. If the economic downturn hits small companies, it hits big companies in the same way. LK doesn't come out of this unscathed either, just because he has a vast financial empire. He will take a hit somewhere with his other businesses. Someone has mentioned on here he has interests in Asian countries whose economies will also look completely different. His ability to splash cash will be lessened - there will be less sponsors for all sports, let alone the NBL and its teams.
Owners of sports teams in a league with little to buttress against a severe economic downturn are going to cut costs wherever they can.

I just don't see how the NBL looks the same - it will be very very different. I don't see the Americans of the same calibre coming if the money is less. I don't see sponsors queuing up. I see people with less money deciding not to go to games.If the AFL is struggling, if NRL is struggling, the the NBL will be worse off.

Reply #803668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What would the league look like if LK took his bat and ball and went home? Would it be back in the hands of BA?
What would happen to NBL1?
Does the NBL go back to semi pro status with massively reduced payrolls? Let's be honest, before LK showed up the NBL was nearly defunct.

Reply #803703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It actually wasn't. The league made a profit, and most teams were growing sustainably. Unfortunately they needed to use that profit to bail out the Hawks and the Crocs (again) or else their TV deal would be scrapped.

LK came along willing to invest a lot of money straight away, and he's done some really good things, but still hasn't achieved a ROI so it might just be papering over the cracks.

Reply #803707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Papering over the cracks on the Titanic.

Reply #803715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would suggest without LK running the show a lot of the owners would bail. 36ers being one of them.

Reply #803718 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

NBL has the advantage of scale over NRL and AFL.

Fewer players. Lower costs. Easier to adapt. Australia might be seen as a safer place for imports to play, compared to US and Europe.

All sports will have to adapt.

Reply #804316 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:39 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754