Old mate not into taking a 50% paycut.

Reply #803601 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

http://www.wildcats.com.au/news/article/bryce-cotton-signs-in-italy

Reply #803602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton played for that team a couple of seasons ago in the NBL off season. Are you sure that press release isn't from then and has been dug up now?

Reply #803604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well this is horrid for Perth fans and the league. This decision could undo years of growth.

Reply #803605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Use some common sense guys. Good trick by the guy who started it though.

Reply #803606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just goes to show in this era where people get their news from social media, people don't really think any more

Reply #803607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's an old article.

Reply #803608 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

I tweeted a screen and link this morning and a bunch of question marks.

Screenshot was sent to me by a friend who thought it was real. I was questionable (especially because of the old picture).

Googled "Cotton signs in Italy" and the wildcats site link popped up. Was on mobile device so couldn't see dates.

Confirmed it's from 2018 thanks to some twitter users and a bit deeper googling.

Reply #803611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was a quality troll

Reply #803612 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

There's too much uncertainty right now

I doubt any Italian teams are making signings given their situation right now

But, the following circumstances would create a situation where top Aussies go to Europe:

- COVID19 has infected more Europeans than currently realised, due to inadequate testing and because more people are asymptomatic than we realised

- This results in a type of herd immunity taking place in Spain, France, Germany, Italy

- Europe goes back to life-as-we-know-it quicker than Australia, where we successfully flattened the curve but haven't reached the herd immunity

- Therefore NBL more impacted than Euro leagues, Aus salaries remain impacted due to no mass gatherings here

All the COVID research is ongoing and there's lots of uncertainty. But the above scenario is one of many possibilities.

Reply #803614 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And when I say "top Aussies" I meant top NBL players obviously, not just Australian local stars

Reply #803615 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

I didn't mean to troll with this one. Got trolled myself as I was actually questioning if it was real.

Reply #803616 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

How hard is it for the NBL website to put dates on their articles?
When you open the article it says 'Latest News' and is listed first in the article list. There's nothing there to suggest it's an old article.

Reply #803618 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Won't matter, 10 flags is enough for anyone to reminisce over for years to come.

Reply #803620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

flags?

Reply #803622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flags is AFL terminology for championship banners.

Reply #803625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Italy will be open?

Reply #803626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Italy can hardly afford pasta atm.

Reply #803627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol imagine traveling to Italy now

Reply #803632 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

This is more of a troll of non-Wildcats fans giving them false hope.

Reply #803633 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

yeah, its a weird quirk of the NBL website system.
If you browse the website, the articles are correctly presented.
But if you search, and/or go direct to an article, it is shown at the top as "latest news" ROFL

Reply #803642 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

It's great seeing so many want to keep him in the league as he is such a talent and outstanding role model so losing him to NBL would be massive

Reply #803677 | Report this post

Wilbur  
Years ago

Don't worry fellas. Cotton isn't interested in going anywhere. Head Coach Trev is right.

Reply #803719 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Bryce just put a massive teaser on his instagram, 45 second video of him talking abut his big thing he's been "working on" which has been "slowed by the virus" but it's "still happening" he hopes we are "all excited" when he can share it soon

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_OtXdvDfAGWetzdy4zz1nWyyFFojKK6lKVRrg0/

Reply #803727 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Bryce just put a massive teaser on his instagram, 45 second video of him talking abut his big thing he's been "working on" which has been "slowed by the virus" but it's "still happening" he hopes we are "all excited" when he can share it soon

Reply #803728 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Reply #803729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

tell us the story again grandpa! please!

Reply #803730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't do Instagram, but a mate mine just rang who’s up on Instagram saying that both Cotton and Ware want to either play elsewhere or renew the deals there on. A big crack happening as obviously these two are not taking pay cuts. New deals or gone.

Reply #803731 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They can't get new deals.

Reply #803733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't blame them. These guys have only a few years at their peak earning potential so if they can set themselves up for life in that time then they should.

Reply #803734 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Would the big thing he's been working on be citizenship??

Reply #803736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They can get new deals, there is a two week sabbatical for players to opt out. The whole thing looks like a restriction of trade to me.

Reply #803737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you a commercial lawyer?

Reply #803738 | Report this post

maxymoo  
Years ago

Have any other players not signed in Italy yet?

I have it on strong advice that Mitch McCarron has also not signed in Italy.

Reply #803740 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They can get new deals, there is a two week sabbatical for players to opt out.
No, they can't. If they play NBL next season it has to be under the terms of the original deal. Opting out only allows them to sign with another league or sit out the season.

Reply #803741 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I assume so

Reply #803742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm hearing McCarron is open to the euro market and Cooks as well. There is no basketball going on in Europe at present but with not all leagues over and the possibility of it finishing closer to the start next season the jockeying is already beginning for top players. Oliver is another, agents are not sitting on there hands.

Reply #803747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Ware, Cotton, Cooks and McCarron looking for out already and I'd say more to come. The whole thing got to complicated, as noted sports players earning money is short certainly in basketball when most are 22-24 when they finish college.

Maybe they should have just done 15% off the cap and each player as you can see these four are in the top earners and obviously don’t like a 50% cut.

Reply #803751 | Report this post

Cool howie  
Years ago

OP is a wang chomper. Fake news

Reply #803771 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:18 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754