Air Delay
Years ago

Cooks Opts Out Too

As per Kings Facebook.

Came in chasing the cash, now leaving to do likewise.

Topic #47193 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's going to be no one left. Maybe I’ll get promoted from NBL1

Reply #804581 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I'm guessing we're going to need an opt-out thread shortly, as player-specific threads won't be workable with the numbers.

Reply #804582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL has killed itself. Lots are going to opt out now. All this great work by the NBL has been for nothing.

Reply #804583 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Playings opting out doesn't guarantee they play anywhere else. It simply opens the door to them looking at their prospects. I don't think you could blame anyone for doing that right now.

But having said that, what other leagues are going to be viable by October and can those leagues support the amount of NBL players who'd be looking at those options? Not many I would think.

When the dust settles, the exodus wont be as bad as it appears right now. But we're going to lose some talent. Of that there is no question.

Reply #804584 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Wise words ME, I agree.

Reply #804589 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Question though... once a player opts out, just because the club retains their rights, the club wouldn't have to have them back if they signed another player in their place, would they?

Reply #804590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He wasn't that good, Nick Kay took him to the cleaners at the four spot and he struggled defensively at the three.

The league probably has shot itself in both feet.

Reply #804591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good for him chasing the cash as it was put.

Reply #804592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exodus? 5 or 6 players maximum league wide will opt out......

Settle down

Reply #804599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But didn't Cooks sign for virtually nothing, according to Bogut and the Sydney blind faithful? He would have had to, since he replaced one of the lower paid players.

Reply #804604 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

NBA announced that Combine and draft has been pushed back, wondering what that will mean to the NBL if Summer League is also pushed back. Lots of our remaining top players may take a mid season break to go and play over there.

Reply #804606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both players have the same agent. No surprise who.

Reply #804614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes they can still opt back in if they miss out elsewhere, there could be less leagues so I'm not convinced either cooks or Hodgson are that great to get big money deals.

Reply #804618 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Air Delay's point raises some good questions - is there a time-limit by which they have to opt in?

Otherwise doesn't it basically become a situation of: I can opt back in anytime but you can't replace me. Don't know how that's fair for teams who aren't going to be able to recruit that position until whenever the person opts back in or signs overseas;

Reply #804664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ware has now opted out too.

Reply #804703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why stay on a 50% wage cut when you have other opportunities to make more money?

If your boss asked you to do the same job but earn 50% less you'd be pissed and look elsewhere as well.

Reply #804707 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:28 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754