KET
Years ago

36ers Extend Johnson until End of 22-23 Season

The Adelaide 36ers have signed Daniel Johnson to a new three-year deal, which will see the star centre remain in Adelaide until the end of the 2022-23 season.

"Our absolute priority this off-season was to ensure we kept DJ in an Adelaide 36er jersey, not just for the coming season but beyond. We are so pleased that although he had the chance to 'opt-out' D.J. in fact opted-in, and extended his contract. He’s with us and we’re with him. There are some exciting days ahead and much of what we do will revolve around #21“.

Lots of ways to analyse this (or over think it).

Good, bad, pleasant surprise?

Topic #47207 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

https://nbl.com.au/news/daniel-johnson-extends-with-adelaide

Reply #805027 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Good for him and Adelaide will take him to age 34/35.

Reply #805028 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Very important signing for Adelaide. Without him the cupboard is bare. The Sixers have just TWO players remaining from their grand final team of just over two years ago!!!

Reply #805029 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Does he even age?

Reply #805030 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

As always with DJ he steps up his play in Year 2 of his contracts, opts out and then re-signs to a new 3 year deal. We'll be here again having this discussion in 2022 just hope he doesn't take it too easy next season as he usually does in Year 1 of his contracts.

In saying all that with the departures of Drmic & Froling plus the imports if DJ had have left too it would've decimated the club so they had no choice really but to give him what he wanted. It will be interesting to see how he fits in Henry's system likely a more traditional half court game than Joey's up tempo style.

Reply #805031 | Report this post

Looking Forward  
Years ago

Gee, no championship for DJ in 10 years at the 6ers.

Is he really going to lead the team to the top now?

Hopefully, JVG has some better cards up his sleeve.

Reply #805033 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

No he isn't and we'll never win a title with him as a starter (we almost got there on the stacked 2018 team if not for the Childress injury) but after the Creek debacle and the breakdown with Joey if DJ had left the club would have to rebuild around Jack McVeigh!

Reply #805034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this a way around the opt-out situation? DJ stays for his last year of his contract at half rate, in turn the 36ers load back end of the new three year contract to make up for lost wages as a way to keep DJ?

Reply #805035 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

I suppose it's well done by 36s. The best Aussie players are likely to be premium buys for next season. Lock in anyone you can early.

Reply #805036 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Disagree Zodiac, his stats show a fair amount of consistency year to year. Only exception was 2014-15 which was the season after he had a serious lung condition that absolutely smashed his health.

He's not a perfect player, but he’s consistently been one of the best Aussie big men for about 7 years now.

It’s not his fault his coach proved incapable of getting a good team defence together in the entire time he was with the club, nor was it his fault that every other talented player we’ve had has left the club.

Reply #805037 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

*edit ... because those are the reasons we have fallen away, not some shortcomings from DJ.

Reply #805038 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'll be honest Beantown I doubt any coach could win a title with DJ as a starter. You can't blame Joey or even Marty Clarke for his disgusting defence.

His effort and attitude towards defence has always been infuriating to the point of contemptuous. Last season watching him guard Bogut in the low post he was literally guarding him with his hands down by his waist and letting Bogut back him in and lay it up. I've never seen a worse defensive big man. If Weaver had any nouse as a coach he would've gone down to Bogut on every play and force Joey to pull him out.

A bit like Gaze he refuses to expend any energy on the defensive end and saves it all for the offensive end scoring two points for every four points he gives up.

Reply #805039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Got to agree with Zodiac.

DJ is a good bloke and talented offensively but part of the reasons why the coaching staff has struggled to create good defensive schemes is because of his limitations. 2018 was a great job of roster construction around a piece like DJ.

Part of the reason why Griffin was so unplayable this year was he was so much like a young DJ. Talented offensively, putrid effort on defence (don't get me wrong DJ has improved a bit and isn't as shocking as Griffin). Can't have two guys like that on at once.

Where the club is right now they have no choice, they had to sign him. But when I hear people talk about retiring his jersey I think really? Are we putting his career up there with guys like Maher, Green and Davis?

Reply #805040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What kind of coin would this be for? Especially considering he pay cuts everyone's being forced to take.

Reply #805042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Meh.... Zodiac on the money.

Reply #805045 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Great signing if hes on 4th best player money, and the 4th best player on the team come the season. I have my doubts about both.

Reply #805047 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I gotta feeling he's the NBLs highest scorer and top rebounder, also.

Reply #805048 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I think DJ has been the leading scorer and rebounder in the NBL over the last 10 years which says it all really. He couldn't play in any serious league in Europe those coaches would boot him off the team and he went belly up in that brief stint he had in Poland never been a threat to make an NBA roster either.

Big fish in a small pond.

Reply #805051 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Yeah, again, its very frustrating when the NBL announces shit, and doesn't bother to fill in the important details.

How do these salary cuts actually work?
Is there a reduced cap?
Is it hard or soft?
For how many seasons are the cuts in effect?
How do they apply to new contracts?

There is no way you give a 32yr old a 3 year deal, especially when already contracted.
So this is obviously a way to offset the effects of the salary cut.
If clubs are allowed to do that, then what's the point of mandatory cuts?

Once again we see the problem with management that just makes it up as they go along.

Reply #805052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ isn't a starter.

That'll do me. Will be tough to top that for 'opinion' of the decade.

You tit.

Reply #805053 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I share your frustration Zodiac but Beantown also makes some good points. I don't think Joey was the right coach to push DJ at both ends and DJ was still relatively raw under Marty. Maybe Conner will get greater effort from him.
And don't forget, championship teams are just as much about balance as it is talent.

Putting DJ's shortcomings aside, I like the message the signing sends to the general public, the Sixers appear confident they will see off the current challenges and still be competing (albeit maybe in NBL 1, :-)) in the coming seasons.

Reply #805056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D2.0

Yes where are the rules, make them up as you go.

Reply #805059 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Is there a reduced cap?
No.

Is it hard or soft?
Soft.

For how many seasons are the cuts in effect?
This upcoming season only.

How do they apply to new contracts?
Exactly the same way they apply to existing contracts.

Reply #805060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why pick on his faults, of course he's not a great defender. But thats like saying Teys should become a better scorer. If he was a great defender he'd definitely be in NBA as a stretch 4, albeit not playing many minutes. Just let him be, he just needs a defensive big with him for team to be effective. Despite being in end stages of career, we can build a team around him as a scoring big and recruit to cover his weaknesses. Its not like we have anything else to build around.

Reply #805061 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

DJ is consistently our best (or at least top 2) player during his tenure in Adelaide.

The guy is not perfect but what he provides on offence is invaluable, he is a constant threat for his defenders.

His Defence is as we all know sub-standard but he does rebound very well which is part of defence just not the type to take charges, steal or intimidate many shots.

I think DJ can win a Championship but his window is closing and the coach needs to know how to use him, he is good enough as a weapon to cover for his deficiencies on the other end, the team needs some defensive minded people to help cover for DJ as well. Griffin was not it.

Overall I am happy DJ is on for another 2-3 years. As said before affordable talent is an absolute premium this year.

Reply #805062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Johnson is the first peace of the puzzle, who do you put around him ? Imports are normally score first guys so which Australian players can play in the 4 spot.

Reply #805063 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

BigAds, Zodiac, don't get me wrong, I’d love to have a better defensive centre than DJ. But at the same time, I think people are being too critical.

To me, the best defensive bigs are able to prevent their opponent getting good position and DJ has just never had the build to do that. Asking him to matchup defensively against Bogut in the post is setting him up to fail.

On the flip side, I’ve seen DJ absolutely destroy Bogut down the other end, because Bogut can’t defend him either.

Those saying you just can’t ever win a title with DJ should remember that the Sixers made two grand finals with DJ as our starting centre. The second one we probably should have won, but for Childress’ freak injury.

IMO the club has largely failed to find the right combination of players and appears to have compounded that by causing Creek to leave.

But even bigger than that, the coach has failed on many levels:
- he’s driven out some players
- he hasn’t done a good job of getting our players to back themselves and play with confidence
- he hasn’t been able to instil good defensive habits or get players to learn effective defensive or offensive schemes

Those are the reasons the Sixers have failed IMO. DJ has been a really good player for a long time. He’s just not a defensive stalwart. But winning a title is about the right combination of players working together to accentuate strengths and cover weaknesses. It’s never about one player IMO.

Reply #805064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Johnson is the like the Carmelo Anthony of the NBL.

Great scoring numbers, but you're never winning a championship with him.

Reply #805065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Whereas if you are like Robert Horry you are going to win 7?

Reply #805069 | Report this post

The Ibek-Way  
Years ago

"Imports are normally score first guys"

Boone, McKay, Ibekwe?

"DJ isn't a starter."

He might be 32 but every club in the league would have him start, even if they had to play him at the 4

Reply #805072 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

So if the cap stays the same, what is the point of the cuts to existing salaries???

So Cotton gets cut from $500k to $250k (still not clear if the cuts are marginal or to the total) and he leaves. We then sign Cotton's twin to replace him for $500k.

Now if you're saying that a new salary is also cut by 50%, then ok we sign Cotton 2.0 to $1M.

Or, we do what Adelaide have done. Sign Cotton to a whole new contract.

If the only threat is the super tax, then we get him naturalised and make him a marquee.

Reply #805073 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

So if the cap stays the same, what is the point of the cuts to existing salaries???
The original contract is what counts against the cap.

So Cotton gets cut from $500k to $250k (still not clear if the cuts are marginal or to the total) and he leaves. We then sign Cotton's twin to replace him for $500k.
And since that's more than $200k, Cotton's twin gets a 50% pay cut and only earns $250k.

Now if you're saying that a new salary is also cut by 50%, then ok we sign Cotton 2.0 to $1M.
And the full two million counts against the cap, resulting in an absurd luxury tax bill.

Or, we do what Adelaide have done. Sign Cotton to a whole new contract.
DJ was a free agent.

Reply #805075 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Re: 063;The best Australian 4 man to make up for Johnson's lack of defence is Craig Moller by far. All of the other options are out of budget or would take too many shots away from offensive minded imports + Johnson.

Reply #805077 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

DJ was a free agent.

Adelaide 36ers General Manager of Basketball Jeff Van Groningen said Johnson was due to come out of contract at the end of the coming season

We are so pleased that although he had the chance to 'opt-out' D.J. in fact opted-in, and extended his contract.

Reply #805080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moller had a great season at kings till injury, he's a winner. The Kings never recovered from his loss, got treated poorly at seasons end by not getting a run when clearly would’ve help defensively. Not certain kings would part with him as I think is under an option. Would be a great fit next to Johnson and can play the 3 as well.

Reply #805081 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Well, if it's just an extension to the existing contract then it wouldn't affect his salary for this season.

Reply #805083 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Does he even age?

Maybe lack of D serves as a natural elixir of life?

Reply #805084 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

KET,

DJ had a player option for next season he opted out of it and then re-signed to a new 3 year deal hence now under contract until 2023.

Reply #805085 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I just quoted the 36ers

Reply #805087 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I know JVG was just being a bit cute with his 'opt-in' quote obviously in reference to a few players opting out of the NBL at the moment.

Reply #805088 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Who is under contract at Adelaide for 2020/21?

Reply #805089 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

DJ

Reply #805090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yay?

Reply #805091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dude puts bums in seats. A good deal.

Reply #805094 | Report this post

Looking Forward  
Years ago

In finals, aren't you looking to your best players to step up and get the wins/championship? The really good players find a way (even if that involves playing some defence).

DJ hasn't been able to do this. And is less likely to get it done now. He will continue to leave the responsibility to others.

His signing seems to say that the 6ers continue to accept that not winning a championship is ok. As one of the leading players on the team for a very long period of time, shouldn't he have been held accountable, rather than being gifted two more years?

Do many players get 10+ years on a roster, on starters money, without winning a championship?

Reply #805097 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

DJ, McVeigh, Giddey, Mudronja and presumably the options have been picked up on Teys, Kyei and Dillon. I doubt Randle's option was picked up as likely to miss most if not all of next season.

White's option wasn't picked up, Drmic & Froling are both FA's and not coming back and Griffin & Moore are FA's too.

Reply #805098 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

His signing seems to say that the 6ers continue to accept that not winning a championship is ok.

The club didn't exactly have much choice or do you suggest building the team around McVeigh? Teys perhaps?

Reply #805099 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I had a feeling that Cotton & Kay leaving would give some other clubs an extended johnson

Reply #805100 | Report this post

The Ibek Way  
Years ago

Spatial jam suggests that Adl have

Randle / Dillon / Giddey
____ / Mudronja
Teys / McVeigh
______ / Kyei
Johnson / _____

Is it true that they are cutting roster size by 1 (specifically the import) this season? so should be 10 + next star?

https://spatialjam.com/contracttracker

Reply #805103 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Dillon / Giddey
Import / Mudronja
Teys / McVeigh
Defensive import/ Kyei
Johnson / ????

36ers really need to remove Dillon.

Mudronja is pretty small isn't he?

That’s a pretty crap team. Especially if they struggle for imports

Reply #805105 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Mudronja is pretty small isn't he?

About 6'5" I think and funnily enough a big PG like Giddey.

Reply #805106 | Report this post

The Ibek Way  
Years ago

It isn't something to inspire no but, assuming Randle is out (injury) then the rest really shouldn't be costing much with Johnson the only player I would guess is on decent coin. Giddey is next star so he doesn't take a roster spot meaning they have 4 spots to fill and a bit of money to do it.

I think the quality of the roster will come down to getting another talented local

Reply #805108 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

There was that rumour during last season that the Sixers were in talks/close to signing an Aussie NBA free agent that I think most assumed was Deng Adel.

Reply #805109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deng Adel, another great defensive player, lol.

Reply #805110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On an interview Connor Henry said, they would likely go an import PG and either a SF/SG who can help handle the ball, which seemed to be his preference or the other alternative was an 4/5 as the second import

He said he was hopeful of signing a boomer level Australian, didnt say any names though.

I hope they look at someone like Bairstow or Brandt to pair in the big man spot with DJ and add some much needed toughness.

Reply #805112 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

The biggest issue with DJ is not DJ himself. It's the players around him that make his job harder. You need to put quality smart players with him. Not Wiley types. If he has to shoulder too much of the load at both ends of the court it becomes a detriment to him. He needs the freedom to play offensively. At NBL level his range is hard for opposing defenders to counter.

Reply #805113 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Double that for needing to remove Dillon. And Teys needs to become that Hire type bench player who only comes on to fill a gap for very short periods of time.

Reply #805114 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

That roster posted by KET does not look good at all. Teys and Dillon starting...yikes.

Reply #805116 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Yup it's scheisse

Reply #805118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think they would be aiming for something like

Star Import PG
Import 1/2/3 - an all rounder who can help handle the ball and run some point,
McVeigh - hoping he steps up and fulfills his potential over next couple of years
? a aussie big like Bairstow as effectively the 3rd import to replace Griffin
Johnson

Giddey
Dillon
Mudronjara
Teys
Kyei
? Aussie back up C

If we land a good big like Bairstow or Brandt, and 2 quality imports i think guys along the lines of Machado and Newbill then that could be a decent team.

Reply #805120 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

DJ crap at defence, need a defensive big alongside him

Reply #805134 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah roster is a mess. Way too many guards and none of them starter material. With only two import slots, there's too many holes to fill this season. Getting a defensive Aussie big probably the most important need. Then could get imports at PG and SF.

Will be a rebuild season. Give McVeigh, Mudronja, Giddey lots of opportunities and see what they can do. Hope like hell they’re able to sign that 'Boomer level’ Aussie and then build on that.

Reply #805155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers will only run one import next season

best of luck with that

Reply #805157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not to many boomer level Australians out there, hopefully McVeigh shows more than he achieved under Joey, good chest pumping though.

Reply #805158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Giddey has also been guaranteed minutes in his deal, so not only is the team stacked with guards one of them will block out a huge chunk of minutes regardless of how well they are playing.

Reply #805159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Giddey has guaranteed minutes? Surely nobody is stupid enough to put that in a contract these days.

Reply #805161 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Sounds exactly like a JvG/Kelley type of thing to do. Pray for Adelaide.

Reply #805163 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Without knowing for a fact I suspected that would likely be the case either a guarantee of starting or big minutes at least. Giddey lives in Sydney and is from Melbourne the Sixers don't have the ability to compete with those teams financially so how else do you think we got him to come to Adelaide?

Reply #805164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 6ers taking short cuts again if this kid has guaranteed mins built in. If they play the long game Adelaide could be title-town.

They look at example of the Melo and RJ crowds and think this will help bring in short term gate takings. Sacrificing the long term for what think will have a Melo and RJ effect. Problem is it won't. Ferguson could barely even play at NBL level and he's a long way ahead of this Next Star.

Will not end well unfortunately. There other kid coming in from St Marys will struggle for mins assuming this Next Star kid has a guarantee. The Next Star kid is a great NBL prospect and potential long term NBA player. Definately not a lottery pick!

Reply #805166 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I don't know the facts either but if true its a calculated gamble.

The team needs to attract talent, and show that we can attract talent to bring more talent.

I just hope the guaranteed minutes is something reasonable like 20 mins a game, and the coach gets to choose when. If he cannot hit free throws or can't defend, I don't want him on at the end of the 4th.

Reply #805167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lovebroker - you attract talent by building a sound base which takes time, guaranteed minutes that is misguided is a method that will always backfire.

Reply #805168 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Except in our case JVG knows the owner has severely damaged the team's ability to recruit talent with the Creek debacle so the club has no choice but to guarantee minutes to hot property kids or give someone like DJ the contract he wants.

Reply #805170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just keep digging a deeper and deeper hole.

Reply #805171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Money attracts talent with the help of a good coach of course.

Reply #805173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So team is down by a point with 1 minute to go and he's guaranteed 20 and only played 19 and playing like crap, he contractually has to be subbed into the game? What a load of bullshit, especially before a coach was selected.

Reply #805174 | Report this post

Nate  
Years ago

Not sure people realise how good Giddey is.
He's 6’7, a great passer (which everyone complains about not having passers) and a high basketball IQ especially for only being 17/18.
He doesn’t rely on athleticism...which means the kid must be able to do something else to be getting all this attention.
I have no problem playing him minutes.
But they have to get the rest of the roster correct!!
A rebounding/defending 5 (Aussie)
A 3 who can do it all (Prather/Hobson etc) or Broekhoff
A 1/2 import that can defend and create (Newbill)

Reply #805176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has the chance to be a very good NBL player in 4-5 yrs, could get a crack at the NBA if he is in the right environment for his development.

I am not sure you/they realise how good he isn't.

Reply #805178 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He's viewed as a potential first round pick in the 2021 NBA Draft.

Exciting young Australian NBA prospect Josh Giddey has signed with the Adelaide 36ers as part of the NBL's Next Stars program.

The 17 year-old, who has been touted as a potential first round pick for the 2021 NBA Draft, will play for the 36ers in the 2020-21 Hungry Jack’s NBL season.

Giddey was the youngest Australian to debut for the Boomers since Ben Simmons when he lined up against Hong Kong last month.

https://nbl.com.au/news/josh-giddey-to-become-nbl-next-star-with-adelaide-36ers

Reply #805179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nawwwww that's cute Zodiac.

Reply #805181 | Report this post

Nate  
Years ago

Maybe people should do some research on what he's done and how good he is as a 17year old.
I know it was Mickey Mouse against Hong Kong but he still got a game.
He will have flaws because he is 17 but he’s not a DP type

Reply #805182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great signing by the 6ers forsure. Yes, has done more than most DP and you'd give him a roster spot to develop him into a future player.

If they got him on basis of mins guarantee though they made a big miscalculation and error. Not saying the kid is not a great Aussie player in the future but is not a lottery pick in 2021 and minutes guarantee will backfire. We will watch and see, it will be obvious once they start playing. As Corey says, this "this is not a cupcake league".

Reply #805185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wish Giddey all the best, he's a promising prospect.

But I've seen plenty of promising overhyped juniors, who hit a wall when coming to the big leagues.

I saw him at Nationals and Classics. Is he promising? Yes.

Do I think he can contribute right away....nnnnnoooo.

I want wins from my pro team, not a babysitting service.

Reply #805186 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

To the anon continually shitting on the signing and downplaying his potential, if scouts view him as a potential first round pick next year it means he's almost a certainty to be drafted.

Depending on what happens in his one year at the Sixers he could possibly drop to the second round but it's highly unlikely potential first round picks drop out of the draft altogether in the span of 12 months.

It's very likely this time next year he will be in the NBA that of course doesn't mean he's going to offer anything of value to the Sixers look at Ferguson for example but people who's job it is to evaluate talent know better than some idiot anon.

Reply #805187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The perfect example here isTerrance Ferguson

Reply #805188 | Report this post

Nate  
Years ago

Totally different players. Ferguson and Giddey.
Ferguson couldn't dribble. At a stretch still can’t.
He defends and shoots the 3 and is athletic.

Giddey will be in charge of a team (which ever team that might be). Some (so called experts) describe him as a poor mans Doncic. High IQ type/not that athletic.

Not saying he’s the saviour or will be the best player but until we see who else signs he might have the best court vision on the 36ers roster.

A 6’7 point guard!!!

Reply #805190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The point is Ferguson did shit and then went to the NBA. I expect the same from Giddey

Reply #805195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac - I am one of the anons. There are multiple.

And in my criticism I did not suggest he wouldn't be drafted. In fact I wish him all the success. I suggested he's not going to help the 36ers win games now. I don't want our team to be a glorified farm. I want to win.

Have you actually seen him up close at juniors? I've seen him and plenty others over the years up close from those who have made it to the NBA to those who flame out. He is definitely a exciting prospect. I have seen guys touted as first rounders not even end up having solid NBL careers (a kid from country Victoria comes to mind who slipped fast), guys touted as the next Andrew Gaze whose careers end with them being about 15kg overweight and others who have been late bloomers and become long term pros.

I would love nothing more than to be proved wrong and see him be amazing at BOTH ENDS of the court for us this season. How about before we proclaim him we wait and see how he performs first.

Reply #805196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He'll probably be very good but coach will have to work out away cover him defensively.

Reply #805197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nate and Zodiac, not playing down the kid. Just that not a lottery pick. Has NBA potential for shizz.

You have seen the kids that get drafted right? You have watched Doncic play right? Did you see Ferguson much? Did you see Lamello or RJ? They WERE lottery picks and it was obvious. You are basing what "scouts" say on what you read in an article on NBL.com.au. Which draft board in the world is the lottery pick for 2021 on? Find a scout quoted that says he will be a lottery pick in 2021. They don't exist - Why? because he will not be.

Great signing by 6ers. It would be great to see him get stitched up once they realise he is not going to the NBA for a few yers. I sure hope minutes were not guaranteed that would just show a total ineptness to assess talent and write of the program for future recruits. No one would want to play where minuntes are guaranteed to guys not yet up to it for bums on seats. Doubt they were guaranteed but we will be able to see.

Reply #805198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Funny that Zodiac calls people idiots but believes everything he reads in a press release.

To put even more context to things on the back of the previous anon, look at what Ben Simmons and Dante Exum looked like in juniors and look at what Giddy looks like in juniors...

As I said I hope Giddy is amazing straight away. But I don't expect him to be.

Reply #805199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guys that skip college and head overseas for a year still are generally picked on their high school career and potential. Jennings and Mudiay were drafted in the lottery despite not showing much their 1st year. Here's Jennings year in Italy and he went 10th.
In the Italian Serie A 2008-09 season, Jennings averaged in 27 games, 5.5 points, 1.6 rebounds, 2.2 assists, and 1.5 steals in 17.0 minutes per game. He shot 35.1 percent from the field and 20.7 percent from 3 point range in Serie A play.[15] In 16 Euroleague games, Jennings averaged 7.6 points, 1.6 rebounds, 1.6 assists, and 1.2 steals in 19.6 minutes per game. In the Euroleague he shot 38.7 percent from the field and 26.8 percent from 3 point range.
Here's Mudiay who played in vastly inferior league.
Mudiay managed just 10 regular season games for Guangdong, only returning to action for the team on March 1, 2015 in Game 3 of their semi-final series against the Beijing Ducks.[11] He played in Game 4 as well, but Guangdong lost the best-of-five series 3–1. In 12 total games (10 regular season and two playoff), Mudiay averaged 18.0 points, 6.3 rebounds, 5.9 assists, and 1.6 steals per game.
So Ferguson sitting on bench most of the year for Adelaide and still being a 1st rounder wasn't a surprise. Exum just had one good junior tournament then shut it down and was high pick.
Even a lot of Euro guys, apart from someone like Doncic, didn't really play much senior euroleague, drafted because someone wanted the next Dirk, 7 foot white guy that looked like he could shoot like Bender.
I don't think Giddey has enough hype for him to sit and be a first rounder, but with watered down league and an even more watered down Adelaide he should get a chance to play and contribute. 10 points and 5 assists should get him there with an ok shooting percentage. If he sits he might get an early second round selection.
Ball will be the biggest bust since Bennett, would never have put those numbers up on any other NBL roster and depending how/if teams can do private workouts someone should get a bargain late lottery/middle first round. Everyone is always a good pick for Spurs for development and culture, and they have great history of success stories with big guards, he'd be ideal there. Knicks will show how they're worst franchise in NBA and take Ball with a top 4 pick.

Reply #805200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Hampton being that bargain. Put on 15-20 pounds of muscle and good workout should make lottery for sure.

Reply #805201 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Anyone here go back far enough to have seen Ingles and Newley as juniors? How does Giddey compare to them? Ingles was 18 when he debuted for the Dragons and I think Newley was 19. Both were a year or more older than Giddey will be, but they both starred in their first season. What comparisons can we draw between Giddey and those two?

Reply #805205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Import / Dillon / Mudronja
Import / Giddey
Adel / McVeigh / Harris
Motum / Kyei
Johnson / Aus/Kiwi centre (Plenty of options)

Reply #805207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would be going after salt as backup c. Very strong defensively.

Reply #805208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not surprised DJ resigned. He's been comfortable for the last couple of years with the 36ers, having an occasional big game and lot of average ones and hardly ever criticized to avoid hurting his feelings. You would have thought by now after missing out on the Olympics and world cups squad, he would step his game up and shows some emotions of anger and passion and dominate on both ends of the court.

But yet, he still just played games like they were meaningless. He was one of joey's many frustrations over the years. Rest assure Conner will light a fire in him if he doesn't play hard every game.

Reply #805209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ & Creek clearly best to currently signed players in the NBL right now!

Reply #805224 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:46 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754