Zodiac
Years ago

NBA Draft Expert Chad Ford Praises Hampton, NBL

NBA Draft expert Chad Ford has spoken glowingly about the Australian National Basketball League as well as RJ Hampton's development during his time with the New Zealand Breakers.

Ford, a former ESPN NBA Draft Insider and host of the NBA Big Board Podcast, has described the NBL as "a step above" US college basketball and outlined why the league provides a viable alternative for elite pro prospects.

Speaking on the Locked on Bucks Podcast, Ford stated that he also expects Hampton to be a lottery pick, thanks largely to his elite athleticism and a strong year of development in the NBL.

“I know there are a lot of people who criticize these young American kids when they go overseas and feel like they’ve copped out of college or they’ve sold out,” Ford said.

“But the Australian league, in the minds of most NBA scouts that scout both college and international basketball, is a step above what you’re getting in college basketball.

“I know that’s hard for college basketball fans to hear. They think that basketball at Duke and Kentucky is just one step down below the NBA but it’s multiple steps down.

“The Euroleague and what’s happening in Spain, for example, or even in Germany is a level that’s higher than the NCAA. I think Australian basketball has reached that level too.”

https://nbl.com.au/news/nba-draft-expert-praises-hampton-nbl

Topic #47208 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

That makes me feel less inferior about being Australian. Thanks for sharing. I needed that.

Reply #805111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did very well till injury, won't be a superstar but will be excellent nba player.

Reply #805121 | Report this post

Essen  
Years ago

If and when he gets to workouts, he will impress. That Breakers environment, on and off the court, was tough.

Reply #805133 | Report this post

Obviously  
Years ago

Of course there are professional leagues other than the NBA which are above the NCAA.

People who think NCAA is 2nd best after NBA are usually clueless Americans who believe the USA is the only country that exists.

Heck, even the G-League is superior to the NBA.

Reply #805148 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I know that's a typo but lol

Reply #805149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was Ford the one who got caught going back over his old draft boards and adjusting to make himself appear more knowledgable?

Reply #805165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think so

Reply #805225 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The mere thought of comparing Euroleague and NCAA is worth a good chuckle

Reply #805229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love how the scouts don't want to travel down to Aust anymore so thats the main reason the G-League expansion is gonna happen

Reply #805232 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Hampton was a very impressive young man and I wish him all the success for the future.

As far as Ford is concerned, I'm happy to hear the praise about NBL for sure.

Reply #805931 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:41 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754