hoopie
Years ago

NZ NBL news

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/300008651/saints-southland-sharks-nonstarters-as-innovative-kiwi-nbl-battles-to-achieve-liftoff

Any impact on our NBL?

Topic #47216 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is some merit in a hub style "event" made for pay tv.

Reply #805378 | Report this post

anon905  
Years ago

Biggest concern is for the clubs based outside of Auckland having to fund moving to Auckland for a month or two for the comp where as the teams based in Auckland will not have to take on those costs.

Reply #805812 | Report this post

anon905  
Years ago

There should be announcement shortly even if the 2 clubs drop out, there will be 2 additions making it still viable for the shortened tournament style event to go through i.e. Tall Blacks development team (similar to the Aussie CoE in State Leagues) and adding Otago (will see it as easy way to gain licence back into the league by agreeing to the tournament).

Seems the clubs will keep whatever squad they assembled and be no draft or imports

Reply #805813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huskies are in.

Reply #805816 | Report this post

anon905  
Years ago

Would it be under the Hobart Chargers or is it still the Huskies cause I thought the Huskies fell apart

Reply #805824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Auckland huskies

Reply #805828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Auckland HUSKIES. Same owners. Lust a relocation to Auckland, who didn't have a team.

Reply #805834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same owners and the NBL let them in?

Reply #805883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From The Mercury. "It was believed the Huskies owed up to $150,000, and they were asked by the Government to provide an exit report into how they spent a $200,000 interim support package." These guys are cowboys. Both coaches haven't been paid in full and there were times when the players were not paid on time.

This Justin Nelson character knew exactly what transpired in Hobart and yet allows these same guys to enter the NZ competition. Very strange.

Reply #805898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nelson running thw show probably says all that needs to be said really!

Reply #805943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

/me agrees

Reply #805944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 of a kind.

Reply #805956 | Report this post

Anon905  
Years ago

Would Aussie's i.e. NBL players be able to join the NZ NBL and get exception to travel ??

Reply #806243 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

I think the only person may be Jarrad Weeks (since he predominantly lives in NZ anyway).

I'm skeptical about the league quality - the top-three teams from last season are out, no imports. Its basically top-end amateur ball for Aucklanders (there's a strong doubt that basketballers on the fringe with day-jobs will commit to it)

Reply #806304 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:22 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754