Anonymous
Years ago

NBL money not high enough: Brandt

From The West Australian:

Former Perth Wildcat Angus Brandt says the NBL's recent pay cuts would likely push him back to Europe despite his firsthand experience of the Italian coronavirus crisis.

The centre in Perth's 2018/19 championship says global uncertainty means he couldn't rule out an NBL return but the financial loss at this stage, following the league's recent austerity measures, would likely be too great.

"I man I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a factor," Brandt told The West Australian.

"If I come back I'd have to take a significant pay cut.

"That's not what they're doing over there (in Europe), each club is assessing what their financial impact is and looking at what they can offer.

"Obviously the contracts in Europe are usually in US dollars but if I play in Australia I have to pay tax and take a pay cut.

"Unless an NBL team comes along and blows me out of the water with a great deal I can't refuse then I think it would be Europe."

Topic #47222 | Report this topic

Cornholio  
Years ago

Don't blame Brandt for looking after himself.
These pay cuts are a slap in the face.

Reply #805548 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" but if I play in Australia I have to pay tax"

God forbid we have to pay our taxes hey? What a shmuck

Reply #805549 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Brandt doesn't seem to understand he still pays tax in Italy it's just the deals are negotiated with players in nett not gross figures by the clubs. Classic athlete brain.

Reply #805551 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

30,000 people have died in Italy, but muh taxes

Reply #805552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well that illustrates that even with 30,000 deaths Italy (and other countries) have not become hell holes that everybody wants to leave

Reply #805555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He left cause Trev said he was getting an import big and he would be coming off the bench. So he'll consider the NBL, just not the wildcats

Reply #805557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Brandt doesn't seem to understand he still pays tax in Italy it's just the deals are negotiated with players in nett not gross figures by the clubs. Classic athlete brain."

Pretty sure he understands how it works. His salary here is gross, so not only are the base salaries less, he has to pay tax on top of it. It made perfect sense to me.

Reply #805558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He left cause Trev said he was getting an import big and he would be coming off the bench. So he'll consider the NBL, just not the wildcats"

Ah no.

Reply #805559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imports get paid in US dollars in the hand, Brandt would probably get between 20k and 30k a month, you work it out. Even before the pay cuts you can understand why he's going back. He had a very good season in Italy by the way.

Reply #805561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It will all be good when Cotton comes back as an Aussie. Fools.

Reply #805562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How will that change things?

Reply #805563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think if Brandt is unlikely to return to the NBL, then it almost would be impossible for the higher level Aussies based in Europe to return. This article would indicate that Euro leagues are going ahead and will be paying top dollar.

Reply #805565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I think if Brandt is unlikely to return to the NBL, then it almost would be impossible for the higher level Aussies based in Europe to return. This article would indicate that Euro leagues are going ahead and will be paying top dollar."

This is my take-away from it. With all respect to Brandt, if this class of player is saying the NBL is not an attractive proposition, then maybe there is some cause for concern about the standard of next year's league. Hopefully just a short term thing though.

Reply #805569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is simply stating the facts.

NBL is gonna basically be a semi pro league as these guy would get paid more working the night shift on a road gang than playing in the NBL!

Reply #805571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this can't be right. someone who knows everything already told us there would be no leagues overseas for people like Brandt and Ware and Cotton to play in. why is Brandt telling these lies is he trying to push his salary up?
"There won't even be leagues overseas, never mind money."

Reply #805574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So reality kicks in that you only get paid what is available in the counties economy. I would love to get paid $1m to do my job to, but the company can't afford it, so I get paid what I do in the industry I am in.
The money in our country isn't available not just in the NBL.

People wanting more money to be paid more, how do we do that? Where does all this money come from?

Reply #805575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't worry Koberules said there will be no normal until mid next year. Brandt is talking shit clearly.

Reply #805577 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Pretty sure he understands how it works. His salary here is gross, so not only are the base salaries less, he has to pay tax on top of it. It made perfect sense to me.

You've missed the point like Brandt has - he still pays tax in both countries.

Reply #805582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No shit.All he said was that the base salaries are lower, and thats before tax. he didn't say he doesn’t pay tax.

Reply #805585 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I think the point he is making is that he doesn't have to pay the kind of taxes like he would in Australia, more money in his pocket, in addition to being paid more money generally anyway.

I don't have a problem with someone chasing the higher pay check.

Look at tennis players' "residence" - including the Aussies. Blatant tax haven - it's a disgrace!

Reply #805588 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Whatever way he wants to see his net/gross income its the same, coming back to Australia is a massive hit when he is at his peak.

Can't blame him or anyone for wanting to avoid the NBL.

When you have reached the income he has, it is hard to come back down from that.

We wouldn't like to do it either.

Reply #805589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im just here to see how everyone thinks Brandt should handle his playing career and finances lol

Reply #805593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it proves Moldovan was right, pay cut to severe.

Reply #805594 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Moldovan is only right if the league can pay more and still survive. Who does or does not end up playing here next season is irrelevant.

Reply #805595 | Report this post

Nate  
Years ago

Can someone tell me how these players are getting back to Europe if they are in Australia?
I'm not sure Australian citizens are free to travel?
Overseas travel won’t be open for a long long time for Australians.
I’m aware of some European people who were in Australia had to get their country’s approval to return and with struck guidelines.

Reply #805600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why does Australia care if people leave? It's only coming back into the country that will be difficult

Reply #805601 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Leaving will be difficult if there aren't flights.

Reply #805602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's cruise ships

Reply #805604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And there are still flights operating to Europe. So leaving isn't a problem

Reply #805605 | Report this post

Nate  
Years ago

I might be wrong, but I think it's not as easy as there’s flights to Europe.
How many Australians are on those flights?

As for why would they care. If there’s another wave overseas and they kick Aussies out do you think the Australian government would want to go through all this again?

Internal boarders will open before international travel and last time I checked that’s still a long way away.

Reply #805607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure if its same now but years back players were given luxery apartments, cars and other perks on top of salary. And in some countries there was SFA to do outside of playing and training so they didnt have anything to spend money on. On the other side of things their pay was often late or not at all. Then if teams lost a few the foreign players copped the blame, especially imports and got sacked.
If Brandt gets the sack is he going to stay in Europe or will we have to foot the bill to extract him on a mercy mission from Transylvania or wherever he's playing because there's no flights. And if there's an outbreak in Europe again they are going to come down hard on letting people into other countries. I don't think he'll be able to pop into somewhere like Britain and ride it out for a year.
Sure players need to earn while they can because they have short career, but where does greed rank when they can earn a very liveable salary in maybe the most protected country in the world. Lots of other people haven't got that chance.

Reply #805612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Not sure if its same now but years back players were given luxery apartments, cars and other perks on top of salary. And in some countries there was SFA to do outside of playing and training so they didnt have anything to spend money on. On the other side of things their pay was often late or not at all. Then if teams lost a few the foreign players copped the blame, especially imports and got sacked."

Thought you were talking about the Sixers for a minute.

Reply #805615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If there's another wave overseas and aussies want to come back, they’d go into quarantine like they would now. No big deal

Reply #805618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fewer sponsors.
High unemployment.
Less disposable income.
Restrictions on crowd sizes.

Please tell me again how most nbl teams will meet their operating costs without these kinds of massive cuts? Player pay cuts are entirely justified which is why 45 out of 50 players opted in.

Olgun Oluc needs to get Moldovan's balls out of his mouth.

Reply #805620 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

If there's another outbreak in europe they could always go play in Tajikistan. There are no reported cases there and the sporting leagues are still in progress.

Reply #805621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No outbreaks in Vietnam either. I think North Korea as well ;)

Reply #805632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you don't this virus will be out in Australia over the next few years as travel will open up and a vaccine might never happen its here so lets get on with it.

If you go play in Europe it a risk you accept and no different to terrorism if you play in Israel or Turkey etc its a risk you take and a factor to consider.

Reply #805635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Leaving will be difficult if there aren't flights." Are you serious?

Reply #805649 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Teams can only afford what they can afford.

There's a change in circumstance, the pay variation reflects that. If it means losing talent so be it, better than being unsustainable and crashing to become a broke league with unpaid debts and players getting screwed for payments

Reply #805674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teams can only afford what they can afford.

Yes so Sydney and Perth were happy to pay the full amount why are they being held back. It's the way sport around the world operates. Lower the bottom end of the cap if you have to but leave the rest alone.

Reply #805679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

League looking lot less interesting. Stars fill stadiums.

Reply #805739 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yep, it's going to be so much worse because a player who wasn't playing here anyway still won't be playing here.

Reply #805753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll certainly miss Casper and Bryce, entertaining stars those two. The balance of imports could be a lot worse or non existent, this could give some other good Australian players a shot on the positive side though.

Reply #805757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton may not be lost to the league just yet...

Reply #805758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oliver is, just signed in Israel, that an entertainment factor gone.

Reply #805759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

League was very entertaining two years ago without Oliver. The NBL knows how to present its product and market its product, and the people doing that haven't left, so the product will seem just as good next season.

Reply #805762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep Krislovic can entertain like Oliver, lmao.

Reply #805764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those people may not have left but probably laid off in cost cutting. And to say a watered down league with lesser players will be better is extremely optimistic. Depends I suppose if you like watching div 6 under 16s in the last minute when scores are tied at 22 each, exciting that last minute for all but the previous play is horseshit.

Reply #805766 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:51 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754