CT
Years ago

Taipans Homeless

So the local news have just reported that upgrades to Cairns Convention Centre have been delayed due to issues with getting items over from Europe, meaning that the stadium won't be available until Feb 2021.

It'll be interesting to see what happens here: do the NBL schedule the Taipans so that they play their home games in the second half of the season (much like Melbourne a few years ago)?

Townsville have put their hand up to host a few games and I could also see a game going to Rockhampton because of the CQU connection.

Personally I'd love to have a few roadies down to Brownsville again. Those filthy Townsville drinking holes have been calling me ever since the Crocs shut down!

Topic #47283 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

relocate them to t-ville

Reply #807741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if they can sell their home games like a few AFL teams have in the past. Need the money, maybe Perth offers the X amount of dollars to have extra home game or Townsville or Canberra etc offer some as well? Looks like they're stuck and can't really change it, might as well try and get something out of it.

Reply #807743 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Would the Taipans be playing in the Townsville Entertainment Centre or that shitty rec centre the Crocs played out their final days in?

Reply #807745 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

The head of Townsville basketball was suggesting that Townsville had two suitable stadiums for the Taipans to play in. I was thinking no mate you've got one, possibly not even that.

Reply #807749 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Would the Taipans be playing in the Townsville Entertainment Centre or that shitty rec centre the Crocs played out their final days in?
The Crocs played their last season at the Entertainment Centre.

Reply #807750 | Report this post

Buckshot  
Years ago

^ Koberulz is right... saw Nick Kay beginning his journey in that last season

Reply #807752 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Well somebody screwed the pooch.
February?? Even with the delay, the season will be almost over.

I guess the league can try and delay as many home games as possible, but that won't come close to fixing the issue.

I don't now what would be better? Do you ...
Sell games to Sydney, Melbourne, and Perth, and turn a nice profit,
Hire a fleet of busses to transport everyone to Townsville, or
Use a local venue (assuming one is available) with greatly diminished spectators?

Reply #807756 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

It's already looking like the season will be pushed back a month so I hope that the damage won't be too drastic.

We have an uneven schedule where we play some teams only three times so could Cairns miss out on that home game this season (of the teams you play 3 times) and they get those back the season after ?

Or could Cairns have a heavily backended schedule with lots of double headers later in the season and lots of single game weekends until new year.

All the same to the Taipans, I wish you all the luck for the season ahead and even in your recruiting.

Reply #807758 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Wouldn't Taipans be the main tenant in the scheme of things? Why wouldn’t they just delay until August next year?

Townsville for a year would kill cairn’s financially.

Reply #807759 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Apparently what happened is that the new seating on the upgrade is being ordered from Germany and the walk-in freezers come from France. The factories that make those items have closed down because of COVID-19 and are no longer able to get them finished and shipped out to Australia on schedule.

There are no other local venues. The Fishtank (Cairns basketball HQ/Taipans training venue) holds 300 and is basically a school gym.

If they can get the schedule right they can make it work. I'm sure there would be interest for a game or two in Townsville, especially if the Taipans can play a couple of higher-profile teams there. I also wonder whether the convention centre may be insured against delays and the Taipans may see some of this money.

Reply #807761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they have delays which can certainly happening with building at the best of times let alone with a lack of future work inspiring trades to go slow this won't be done by Feb!

So cairns will need to find an alternative venue.

Reply #807764 | Report this post

Rod  
Years ago

Townsville would welcome the Taipans with open arms! I know I woud be doing everything i could to drum up support and get ticket sales. IF, if Townsville ever wanted a NBL team again this would be a great display of support.

And there is one thing us regional Queenslanders unite for, it's us vs the big city :)

Reply #807766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would Townsville people who couldn't even be bothered supporting their own team, turn up to watch Cairns who they have always hated? Yes, diehard bball fans may go but your average Joe Punter won't give a rats arse, and they're the bums on seats you need.

Reply #807767 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Open air games?

Reply #807769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Apparently what happened is that the new seating on the upgrade is being ordered from Germany and the walk-in freezers come from France. The factories that make those items have closed down because of COVID-19 and are no longer able to get them finished and shipped out to Australia on schedule."

Then why not stick with the current seating and freezers for now? Or... heaven forbid... get some local Australian ones!

Reply #807770 | Report this post

Rod  
Years ago

I guess you don't know what you've got until it's gone, Anon. The basketball community here in Townsville is very strong, Townsville Fire have been doing very well in the WNBL and the Heat have done well in the QBL since the Crocs left. The love for the sport is still there and none of the bad taste around the Crocs management will be a deterrent.

Cairns and Townsville have a competitive energy - there is no hate. If there is no competition then we work together to put NQ & FNQ on the map!

Reply #807771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

According to Wikipedia, the Fish Tank holds 732 people. Although I'm sure there have been around 1000 people there for Marlins/Dolphins games many years ago.

Reply #807772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not in the wet season.

Reply #807773 | Report this post

GordonG47  
Years ago

Rod speaks the truth - we may not like each other but we like everyone else less, so we are always happy to band together against the rest of the nation :)

Seriously, we do work together, but forget any ideas about combining as an NQ team - the distance (400km) is too great.

And yeah, you can pack nearly 1000 people into the Fishtank, but not under social distancing regulations.

There will be a media conference this afternoon (Tuesday) at 1.00pm.

Reply #807776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Then why not stick with the current seating and freezers for now? Or... heaven forbid... get some local Australian ones!"

Because they're long gone. It's hard to renovate a stadium and leave the seating in place.

And you may just have to accept that globalisation is a thing now and that sometimes an overseas company can do things better than a local company. Just like we do some things better than they do.

Reply #807780 | Report this post

Rod  
Years ago

what was said in the media conference today Gordon G?

Reply #807796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack Toft its WET season up north so nothing in thew open air up here during the bball season

Reply #807801 | Report this post

GordonG47  
Years ago

Dunno yet, Rod. I wasn't there. As soon as they make an announcement, I'll post it.

Reply #807810 | Report this post

GordonG47  
Years ago

No media release as yet, but the headline from the Cairns Post is:

"Cairns Taipans rule out relocation

BASKETBALL The Cairns Taipans will not relocate for the NBL 2020-21 season as fears grow they will be left homeless this summer."

The article itself is behind a paywall, but partly says that the Taipans are working with the State Government to get some of the works re-scheduled.

If you have the option, here's the link (should work, I think):

https://www.cairnspost.com.au/sport/cairns-taipans-rule-out-relocation-for-nbl-as-home-court-upgraded

Reply #807824 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

What if there are existing contracts in place with time lines?

If I were the government I would refuse to move the construction if penalties are involved.

Reply #807826 | Report this post

GordonG47  
Years ago

Media Release is a video and I'm not sure if I'm allowed to share it here.

"Hon. Curtis Pitt & Taipans President Troy Stone

CQUniversity Cairns Taipans President Troy Stone has stood with the Speaker of Queensland Parliament and Member for Mulgrave Curtis Pitt today regarding delays to the Cairns Convention Centre redevelopment, and the potential impacts on the Taipans' 2020-21 NBL season.

Additional comments from NBL owner and Executive Chairman Larry Kestelman:

"The NBL and the Cairns Taipans are in discussions with the Queensland Government about the timing of the upgrade of the Cairns Convention Centre. While we welcome the redevelopment, we have asked the Government to schedule the relevant works after the NBL season is completed so as to minimise disruption for the Taipans and their fans.

“We intend to have fans back in venues when our season is scheduled to start later this year and the Convention Centre is the only viable venue to host NBL in Cairns and it would be disastrous for the competition and the community if it was not available. We look forward to reaching agreement with the Government as a matter of urgency to ensure that we can continue to bring world class sport and entertainment to the people of Cairns this season."

Reply #807829 | Report this post

GordonG47  
Years ago

https://www.taipans.com/news/hon-curtis-pitt-and-taipans-president-troy-stone

Reply #807834 | Report this post

Rod  
Years ago

I like the leverage they are using. Smart

Reply #807863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I were Cairns I wouldn't move either.

Reply #807876 | Report this post

Rod  
Years ago

I'm positive they dont want to!...

Reply #807881 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Townsville people would show up if done right, Townsville crocs become defunct due to pis poor management they go from being a power house through the early and mid 2000's to dieting an extremely slow death, as the quality of the league went down and the quality of the team lowered the crocs prices sky rocketed, the game nights become boring outside of th basketball hence losing such a fan base, id have with no doubt if the crocs come back and was done right they would be successful, they just need a financial backer, by bringing cairns here for a few games im sure that would show, especially with ex tvs Mike Kelly coaching he will get followers, cairns are a team many didn't think would be good to watch but became very exciting to watch and they could be responsible for assisting Townsville regain a team in the next 5 years.

Reply #807883 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

"Townsville people would show up if done right, ... and they could be responsible for assisting Townsville regain a team in the next 5 years."

The league already use that tactic with their Blitz in Tassie & Brisbane before that. Why not try it in T/ville? If Cairns' games in T/ville work, then maybe follow that up with a T/ville Blitz, and 2 years later, back in the league. If none of that is convincingly positive, and 2 tears later, stays out of the league.

Reply #807903 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Townsville crocs become defunct due to pis poor management

There was an element of poor management.

But the fans didn't support the team.

That last season where they played out of the RSL stadium, they have to block out a massive portion of the seating of a SMALL stadium due to crickets in there.

Townsville did not treasure their team and therefore do not deserve a team.

Reply #807905 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That last season where they played out of the RSL stadium
Their last season was played at the Townsville Entertainment Centre.

Reply #807913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should push home games back as much as possible, then play the other games all over the place, so the novelty doesn't wear off. Darwin and Townsville seem like good options, could also play down south on the Sunshine Coast and the Gold Coast. But 1 or 2 games max per location.

Reply #807915 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

The Blitz strategy was used at Townsville as well and got minimal support.

They moved back to the TEC in their last season, after the Blitz and it seemed there was 500 odd people at tip-off at their home opener from my view watching online. That was the death rattle right there.

Yes there was bad management, but it also seemed like the economics of Townsville changed and the core supporter base of basketball fans wasn't there to sustain the team.

Reply #807916 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

They turned their back on the team due to the poor management like screwing over their best player Brian Conklin who I think was the NBL MVP at the time too. The locals still support the Fire and their QBL team strongly.

Reply #807919 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Honest question, what did they do to screw over Conklin?

Reply #807924 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Was he the one that "accidentally" elbowed people?

Reply #807926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Elbows Conklin, only lasted a season at hawks, doesn't stay long at clubs, not certain why but always on the move. A bit of a journey man. Can’t see how he was going to be Townsville saviour.

Reply #807929 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Yes he smashed Damian Martin's jaw then later almost concussed Mitch Creek.

Both players ran into his elbows of course.

Reply #807934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In those last couple of seasons for the Crocs there were many mid week games so not surprising fans didn't show up!

Reply #807938 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

A lot of the supporters bailed after the free carpark access ended.

Reply #807940 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

yeah Townsville aint an option really

Reply #807941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mid week games, poor management etc, that's all well and good but at the end of the day the support wasn't there.

Other clubs have been through the same at times. During the life of a club there would always be a time when management will make mistakes, the stadium deal will be poor etc and crowds will suffer.

Teams like Perth, Adelaide etc have had down days. They still manage a few thousand people a game. Enough to justify continuing and some ray of light. Townsville didn't.

I love Townsville when it was pumping, but don't blame the league, blame the lack of supporters when it mattered.

Reply #807943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If everyone new the stadium was getting refurbished at end of last season, why would you not have all the new seating, fridge equipment in the country as soon as the season finished. This is probably not Cairns fault but who ever runs the stadium has missed the boat.

Reply #807945 | Report this post

J Bags  
Years ago

Cairns needs the jobs now. NBL will be about 76th on the list of considerations when decisions are made for the stadium upgrade.

Reply #807999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Rod's probably sick of explaining this one:
- no money and high unemployment in TSV over the last 10-15 years = less discretionary spending + fewer sponsors and cashed up locals willing to pay for premo seats
- car parking disappeared, stadium almost impossible to get to by public transport and who wants to walk in the wet season
- Cowboys just kept growing

Shawn Dennis did a great interview on the Aussie Hoopla podcast that covers it in great detail.

There's still loads of interest in basketball locally, just look at the crowds they get to the QBL games and the number of quality players they push through the rep program. This won't translate into another NBL team anytime soon as the city has sky-high unemployment and all the local opportunities dried up.

Reply #808017 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Is Dennis' Computers still in business? Crocs were lucky to have such a loyal sponsor.

Reply #808019 | Report this post

Wilbur  
Years ago

Their last season at RSL Stadium was fun to watch.

Reply #808034 | Report this post

GordonG47  
Years ago

Would you mind signing this petition (if you haven't already done so)?

Thanks.

https://www.change.org/p/queensland-government-save-our-cairns-taipans?recruiter=3512920&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_petition&recruited_by_id=2a41e9e0-ccd8-012f-6951-4040acce234c

Reply #808276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Signed. Considering chipping in some $ but curious what it is used for?

Reply #808280 | Report this post

GordonG47  
Years ago

Considering chipping in some $ but curious what it is used for?

Any money that is put into the Club normally goes into the 'Spend to the Cap Fund'. Doesn't go into the day-to-day running of the Club. Just allows us to spend more on player salaries.

Reply #808289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If everyone new the stadium was getting refurbished at end of last season, why would you not have all the new seating, fridge equipment in the country as soon as the season finished. This is probably not Cairns fault but who ever runs the stadium has missed the boat." Why would anyone spend money before it's needed? New reno's equals a mess and where do you store all that stuff before it's required? They have done the right thing and Covid got in the way like it has for so many.

Reply #808290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harping on the Conklin elbows. When you're taught as a big man you stick them out, guards fault if they run into them. Oh, that's right, in the age of everyone has to be friends and hug after games and unsportsmanlike fouls handed out all the time.
Tried to explain bumping the cutter recently, kid looked at me like I was a psychopath.

Reply #808305 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Conklin wasn't sticking his elbows out, he was swinging them. He concussed three different players in the space of one season. Somehow every other big manages to muddle their way through seasons without even concussing one.

Reply #808319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Conklin wasn't sticking his elbows out, he was swinging them. He concussed three different players in the space of one season. Somehow every other big manages to muddle their way through seasons without even concussing one."

Except for Matt Knight, he managed to concuss himself every other game. :p

Reply #808387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conklin was a thug.

Reply #808435 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Take a look at Conklin's actions and tell me they are natural human mechanics of landing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaby6lryByE

Creek is a tough nut and even he was staggering, he's no petal like Knight.

Reply #808443 | Report this post

Three to Make Two  
Years ago

Cairns could play in Illawarra. I would go to the original Snakepit to watch Cairns. And Mike Kelly has an Illawarra connection

Reply #808620 | Report this post

GordonG47  
Years ago

Advice today that we won't be able to get into the Convention Centre until February 4th...

Reply #809866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yesterday's Cairns Post paywall article - What the Fish tank needs to be ready for NBL games.

Today's CP paywall article - Taipans sign three players prior to free agency.

Reply #810664 | Report this post

GordonG47  
Years ago

Tomorrow's paywall Cairns Post article:

New Cairns Taipans home court revealed

A brand new basketball arena is proposed to be built in FNQ to keep the Taipans in Cairns to start the upcoming NBL season.

(The old Bunnings building is being converted to make a 'pop-up' basketball stadium)

Reply #811022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2000 seat lol.

The new ccc upgrade, does it include more seating?, hopefully it goes up a couple thousand to 7000-7500.

Reply #811024 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

2000 seats haha wtf

Reply #811026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They will be homeless alright and be sold off to another city

Reply #811027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks playin Newcastle Wollongong, Canberra. Stupid...

Now you've got cairns moving to bunnings, maybe Townsville. Stupid.

Heard Knox arena will be pushed back, could be 4-5 years before we see a home for the Phoenix.

Reply #811034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2000 people is a joke.

Reply #811035 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Do they deserve anything better than a 2000 seat shack?

Cairns are in no place to make demands yet saw fit to refuse to relocate, refuse to do that.

The powers that be have been gracious enough to give Cairns an interim solution, something they were not bound by law to do at all.

Now can you afford Machado still? He can always come to Adelaide.

Reply #811036 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Hawks playin Newcastle Wollongong, Canberra. Stupid...

What is more stupid for the new management? Appeal to the same trash supporters in the same trash court fielding a trash team with a trash coach?

Or broaden the supporter base, bring in a respected accomplished coach?

Now you've got cairns moving to bunnings, maybe Townsville. Stupid.

That's a win, just in case you failed to understand. The CCC is not usable next season, that is not hard to fathom one would hope.

Reply #811037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Multiple rectangular stadiums need to be built aus and nz wide, we have plenty of round ones already.

Reply #811038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns are getting the temporary home all paid for by Queensland government, the short fall in revenue for bums on seats is also going to be met by Queensland government.

Reply #811039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"the short fall in revenue for bums on seats is also going to be met by Queensland government." Where is that info coming from?

Reply #811045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There was a petition run through the Cairns basketball community and sent to the government, the government responded to it and made it clear that they would fund the whole project including loss of revenue due less numbers.

Reply #811048 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

This was the email I received yesterday from the change.org petition

PETITION UPDATE
Result!
JUL 10, 2020
The Queensland Government is paying for the old Bunnings site in Cairns to be made into a pop up basketball court. It will have temporary seating, the court moved from the Convention Centre, air conditioning, TV grade lighting. It will seat 2000=2500 and the deficit in ticket revenue will be compensated.
The best result we could hope for next to the Convention Centre being available.
A Win for the people of Cairns.
Thanks for your support everyone!

"Deficit in ticket revenue will be compensated" is kinda vague, but it's something.

Reply #811049 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

https://www.change.org/p/queensland-government-save-our-cairns-taipans

Reply #811055 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Amazing effort by Coleen Lander. We'll done.

Reply #811057 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

This is BS. Why should the taxpayers of Australia compensate the Taipans for something not of their fault?

I abhor entitlement.

Reply #811062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The tax payers off Australia fund a lot shit they should not, at least this is good for the community. Twiggy just sold the government $200 million worth of testing kits that are basically useless from China but that's all ok.

Good on you Cairns.

Reply #811064 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

At least those taxpayer dollars will stop the Taipans from being trash which is a trait you abhor.

Reply #811078 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I have a feeling LB is an entitled type

Reply #811080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So will there be an NBL competion this season. The stupid Vics have fucked it up again.

Reply #811081 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

I abhor misleading topic titles.

Reply #811082 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:06 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754