Anonymous
Years ago

Irving leading push to cancel NBA season

"So, yes, it surprised several of his NBPA colleagues that Irving -- lost for the season with shoulder surgery in March -- was simultaneously lending his voice to a far different discussion with rank-and-file union members on upending the league's plans for a 22-team restart at Disney World in Orlando, sources said.

On a call that included nearly 100 players and several stars on Friday night, Irving made an impassioned plea for players to make a stand and sit out the season's resumption in Orlando, sources said."

Topic #47294 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure the NBA will continue.

Reply #808128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whilst I'm a supporter of BLM, this guy also thinks the earth is flat. The Nets have also had concerns over his mental health this season.

Reply #808134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I find it slightly ironic as he won't be playing due to injury anyway.

For other players I believe it's no play no pay.

Reply #808140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BLM!

Reply #808145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBA will continue.

Reply #808146 | Report this post

A A Ron  
Years ago

Kyrie is an absolute flog of a bloke. He's been absolute poison amongst his teammates since he left his Daddy LeBron, who was the only one who could keep him in check.

Everyone at Boston to a man were happy to see the back of him, and everyone outside of KD and DJ and Brooklyn can't stand him either.

Reply #808155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He would never speak to Delly at the Cavs. He wouldn't even acknowledge him.

Reply #808162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He should go join the basketball league on the underneath side of the world. I don't think corona virus affected them at all.

Reply #808164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBA will continue.

Reply #808165 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I can understand if he wants to cancel the season due to Health concerns.

However how does boycotting the season help BLM movement? Just like burning buildings and looting Chanel stores it doesn't add anything to further the cause.

Players and teams wearing something or doing something on court would raise more awareness.

Reply #808179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said Lovebroker.
Also the NBA will continue.

Why pay for electronics when you can just go looting.

Reply #808182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe his point is that protesting in ways that make white people comfortable hasn't work so far so maybe it's time to try something else. They don't want the past few weeks to go to waste once they start playing basketball again.

Reply #808183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bureau of Land Management.

I googled BLM :)

Reply #808184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems many people value a stolen iPhone over the lives of black people

Reply #808185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3,2,1 Isaac has locked the thread.....

Reply #808187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently Kyrie boycotting the season actually will cost him his salary he would be due if he was injured and not playing, but it could also open the door for the NBA to cancel the current CBA and renegotiate it relative to the revenue they've received or are going to receive for this season which would be bad for a lot of players coming upto free agency over the next few years.

Cj Mccollum who is an NBAPA VP has said as much over the past few days that it will cost the players dearly if a boycott goes ahead so it'll be interesting to see if the rank and file follow the lead of a couple of top players knowing their career earnings could be severely affected by this decision as they have a relatively short window to maximise career earnings in comparison to the Kyrie's, Carmelo Anthony's and Dwight Howard's of the league who have also been mentioned as considering boycotting.

Reply #808190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I don't support going into Orlando," Irving told the players. “I’m not with the systematic racism and the bullshit. ... Something smells a little fishy. Whether we want to admit it or not, we are targeted as black men every day we wake up.”

Reply #808191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Says the man who has earnwd over 150million in playing salaries not to mentio n his current Endorsements which he rakes in 20+m annually.

Imagine being a minimum guy trying to make a living?

Reply #808204 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Kyrie is a bit of a loon, but can appreciate the point that he's making. It's at least worth seriously considering. Obviously though it's a decision that he can accommodate more easily than the entry level players if they've got significant bills to wear (commitment to mortgages, supporting parents/family, etc).

Dwight Howard supports him, saying, in part:

"I agree with Kyrie (Irving). Basketball, or entertainment period, isn't needed at this moment, and will only be a distraction. Sure it might not distract us the players, but we have resources at hand majority of our community don’t have. And the smallest distraction for them, can start a trickle down effect that may never stop."
One counterpoint is that superstars playing and getting paid might be better resourced to fund things like encouraging voter registration or groups pushing politically for changes in policing, etc.

Reply #808214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dwight Howard is a loon as well. Two guys known for damaging every locker room they've been a part of

Reply #808215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly!!! ^^^^. Hypocrites of the highest order

Cant wait for more Stephen Jackson videos! Same
Guy who was on record happily gloating about starting a shootout in Indiana!!!

Reply #808217 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

If Irving doesn't wanna play for non-basketball reasons, then he shouldn't be getting paid. His contract should become null and void.

If he wants to make a stand, then I'd suggest the following is a more effective approach:

- Put #BLM on his sneakers prominently

- Donate entire salary to appropriate organisations

- Use his public status to constantly raise awareness for the cause (his public status which will increase if he become a top 5 NBA player and decrease if he doesn't actually, you know, play basketball)

Reply #808222 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And yeah, I realise he's injured anyway, so my statement applies to all players- refuse to play for a non-basketball reason, contract void

Irving and Howard stand out as two of the biggest nut jobs of any NBA stars, ever. Not sure they're the first two guys who I'd listen to for thoughtful, rational commentary on responding to these meta type issues

Reply #808224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thankfully LeBron who is more respected in the NBA has different ideas to Irving.

Reply #808226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lebron standing up for Hong Kong were the quotes of the year. Human rights and all yeah?

I have posted them below.

Reply #808227 | Report this post

Macca  
Years ago

If you support BLM then you are a Communist, that's a fact ( You Lefties don't like facts I know ) and if you support Communism then you are my enemy!!

Reply #808228 | Report this post

HJ  
Years ago

I am already your enemy. My burgers are better.

Reply #808229 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Well said LV

Thank you HJ that made me laugh!

I'm wondering how many players will put their money towards this cause, I highly doubt any will want to use their $millions in this way.

Reply #808230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV, you're actually telling black people to protest in a way that is more suitable to you. I don't know if you realise how ignorant that is.

Writing stuff on sneakers does what exactly? And why does he have to donate HIS entire salary? It's white people who are responsible for the systemic racism in America yet you want black people to write the cheques. Now I'm not suggesting white people start donating their salaries, I'm just pointing out the ridiculousness of your comment.

You've basically just said black people can do stuff as long as it doesn't impact you.

Reply #808231 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[You've basically just said black people can do stuff as long as it doesn't impact you.]

All I said was that all NBA players- black, white, or other- don't deserve millions of dollars per year if they refuse to do what they agreed to do when they signed their contracts.

Reply #808233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did he ask to be paid if he didn't play?

Reply #808234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^Would he be doing the same if he was a rookie, or a minimum salary player??

Reply #808235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At the end of the day protesting and setting things on fire can only accomplish to much. It brings attention to the matter, but it doesn't necessarily resolve it.

If the players want to not play basketball until racism is over, they won't be playing for a long time. It will be a gradual process.

I think LeBron is setting a good example by starting groups of high profile people encouraging young people to vote if they care about these issues. Trying to influence change by educating rather than just showing anger.

Reply #808243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not if Lebrons influencing of peoplw to vote, vote opposite of what he would want!

No political side will fix racism.

Reply #808247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Irving is such a cancer he luck Lebron made him famous at the Cav's otherwise he'd be a highlight guys on a poor performing team.

Reply #808251 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"LV, you're actually telling black people to protest in a way that is more suitable to you."

LV was *suggesting* what an *individual*, Kyrie Irving, could do to *more effectively advance the movement*.

Just curious, was that a trifecta of failures in your comprehension skills, or a willful attempt to misrepresent him to suit your political agenda?

Reply #808324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didn't misrepresent anything he said.

Reply #808330 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

You are effectively arguing against a caricature version of an opposing view. Not only that, you are basically arguning LV isn't entitled to airing his opinion.

In this context, you are arguing that people (or is that white people to you?) aren't entitled to sharing opinions of how Irving could more effectively promote his activism. Can you not see the problem with this?

Reply #808340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBA will continue.

There is a real risk of lockout for 2020/21 if the current season is not completed.

Reply #808341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There was a guy who silently protested about police brutality a few years ago, but he was told that was disrespectful, he was blackballed by his employer and called a son of a bitch by the president, so no conversation took place about his message. Here we are a few years later with no solution in sight, only this time the method of protests was initially violent, but overall loud and persistent, and the general message is that enough is enough.

LV suggested that Irving write BLM prominently on his shoes, so really we've gone full circle, so in reality if we keep on allowing white people to dictate the correct method of protesting then nothing will change.

He also suggested that Irving donate his money to improve the cause. I'm not against that although I don't know why LV is putting the onus on Irving to spend the money to solve the problems. Maybe he wasn't purely suggesting that but it's noticeable that's his initial position on the matter.

I know you're a person who refuses to believe white privilege exists but these sorts of "suggestions" sum it up perfectly. Forgive me for taking a position that it's not the place of white people to tell black people how to protest anymore.

Reply #808342 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yeah, the message is basically "only protest in a way that we can safely ignore".

Reply #808347 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"I know you're a person who refuses to believe white privilege exists"

Again, you are arguing against an imagined counterposition.

"Forgive me for taking a position that it's not the place of white people to tell black people how to protest anymore."

I don't see the benefit of introducing further discrimination based on race, as you are ironically advocating, as a response to racial issues. That is overstepping the mark. That is tribal. That is creating *more* racial division. That is advocating *exactly* what you should be against if you want racism to end. That is, how are you not *against* allowing one's race alone to limit one's freedom and behaviour?

Reply #808348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Telling white people that it's time to listen for a change, is creating divide and being discriminatory? Ok then, I didn't realise you were that precious.

Reply #808349 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"Yeah, the message is basically "only protest in a way that we can safely ignore""

How so? Deciding to not play is removing public attention from athletes, which seems like a good way to ignore them.

Be wary of extreme protests because they create counter-responses from the opposing side and a general distaste from the middle. This will create more division, not unity with the cause. The players union could negotiate to promote the BLM movement in a far more prominent way, bringing the mainstream with them, far more effectively than just sitting out, which creates resentment and division. Social movements require unity. Do you believe this kind of argument is also saying "only protest in a way that we can safely ignore"?

Reply #808350 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"Telling white people that it's time to listen for a change, is creating divide and being discriminatory? Ok then, I didn't realise you were that precious"

Do you want to be ideologically consistent or not? Make your choice.

Reply #808351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry rjd, I'll stop oppressing you now. ALL LIVES MATTER!

Reply #808355 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Is it too much to ask you to respond to the points raised? It might be more convincing than whatever that is meant to mean.

Reply #808359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I did respond. I think your attempt to find equivalence between centuries of mistreatment of black people, and me telling white people to sit this one out, is nonsense.

Reply #808360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Protest any way you like. But violence and looting will not solve the problem in any way shape or form.

Reply #808361 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

It's called expecting one to have consistent principles, no matter how big or small an issue. Without consistent principles you undermine your own argument.

Reply #808362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Question?
Do trailer park living white people who are dirt poor have privilege?

Reply #808363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not as much as Lebron James

Reply #808364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Do trailer park living white people who are dirt poor have privilege?"

They have more privilege than trailer park living dirt poor black people that's for sure

Reply #808365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do explain.....^^^^

Reply #808368 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Deciding to not play is removing public attention from athletes, which seems like a good way to ignore them.
Right, nobody has noticed the lack of NBA over the past few months and these players have no other platforms.

"Ignoring them" doesn't mean not listening to them, or not being aware of their concerns. It means continuing their current practices - in this case continuing to hold and broadcast NBA games while making millions of dollars.

Reply #808369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It's called expecting one to have consistent principles, no matter how big or small an issue."

Why should I apply the same principle of equality to these situations? In one case, one group of people has been treated poorly for centuries. Another is apparently being treated equally poorly by not being allowed to dictate how protests should occur. The severity of the two situations is not comparable so I am in now way obliged to be "consistent."

Aside from being ludicrous, I've already provided an example of how similar silent protests suggested by white still don't work, hence my position that they need to sit this one out.

Reply #808370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes poor white people have more privileges than poor black people. For one, they are less likely to be stopped by police for no reason. They'll also be treated better for any medical issues, and they probably won't have their voting rights suppressed (unless they live in the same trailer park as the black people).

Reply #808373 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to 'order' than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice

- Martin Luther King

Reply #808374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And please tell me how protests such as burning down the restaurant where Brooks was killed or the fortress in Seattle where a warlord is handing out assault rifles helps the cause? All it will do is either A) get more black people incarcerated or B) if Trump sends the military into Seattle get more black people killed.

Reply #808375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"please tell me how protests such as burning down the restaurant where Brooks was killed"

It won't.

"the fortress in Seattle where a warlord is handing out assault rifles"

That isn't happening. What is happening is the people have had enough of the lawlessness of the police.

Reply #808376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also, Trump just can't send in the National Guard.

Reply #808377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe watch the news re-seattle

Reply #808378 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Burning down the Wendy's because Brooks died outside is one of the worst things I have seen in this whole saga.

Not only did the Brooks incident not happen in Wendy's, Wendy's has ZERO to do with it.

Reply #808379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe dont watch Fox News re-seattle.

Reply #808380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed it was wrong but it was also a white person who did it. I would normally say that white people shouldn't be burning things down but rjd might think I am oppressing white people again.

Reply #808381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackkelly/2020/06/14/meet-raz-simone-the-alleged-warlord-of-the-capitol-hill-autonomous-zone/#74163ffa523f

Reply #808382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Burning down the Wendy's because Brooks died outside is one of the worst things I have seen in this whole saga."

I think the ongoing police brutality during protests of police brutality is pretty bad too but I get, that Wendy's building was nice.

Reply #808386 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

" rjd might think I am oppressing white people again."

You can't help but needlessly insert racial descriptors while also playing along with these pathetic strawman arguments. I never talked about "white people" nor "oppression". I have only pointed out the inconsistencies in your own position. It is so ironic that the only person to advocate racial discrimination in this thread has been you!

Reply #808389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And I've already explained why it's not inconsistent. If you don't like being mocked, don't come up with ridiculous arguments.

Reply #808390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stats dont back up the riots. Period.
Less Black ppl die at the hands of police than whites.
Oh you want the per capita argument?
Now look up crimes per capita between the same 2 metrics.

You also might argue that blacks get longer sentences than whites for same crime. I totally agree.
The cause is not what you think though.
Generally more white people can afford better lawyers and reps. And usually a higher % of black people who commit the same crimes have a state appointed lawyer, who usually suck. This is FACT.

There are absolute dickhead cops, and even a few racist ones, sure. But to throw this on every cop, and better yet every white person will further divide the cause. As we are seeing now.

I was hoping Donald was gone, but I fear this whole saga will get him re elected.

Reply #808396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Idiot.

Reply #808397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blacks and Hispanics are nine times more likely to be stopped and searched than white people.

Reply #808398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just read the first few paragraphs.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1300/J076v30n01_01?journalCode=wjor20

Racist idiots exist

But so does Data.

Reply #808400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats your point?

Reply #808401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no point just providing data if you're going to ignore the context.

Reply #808402 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If you only investigate black people, of course you're only going to find evidence against black people.

Reply #808405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obv you didnt read it.
These are not petty crimes.......But homicides.
Stats dont lie.
Are Chicago crime figures white privileges fault?

Are there racist cops/people? FOR SURE.
Is every cop or non black racist? NO

Reply #808408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stats don't lie but you don't have any idea how to interpret them.

It's funny that you're happy to see an over representation by black people in crime figures as justification to tar them all with the same brush while at the same time saying its unfair to judge all cops by a select few.

Did you see the cops in Buffalo who pushed the old man to the ground, then refused to render assistance? And then when the two cops were stood down, a further 22 resigned from the squad to show solidarity for their workmates? Two cops knocked an old man to the ground, were rightly punished, but the rest of them didn't approve. Don't give me that "not all cops" crap because it is all cops who have allowed this lawlessness by police to exist for decades.

Reply #808411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the old man had moved back like he was told to (repeatedly) there would have been no need for contact. At some point people must take responsibility for their own actions/decisions. He was told to move back and didn't. Should they have called in a wheelchair (wow look at this frail old man protesting and not listening to instructions, best we stop moving forward) and have escorted him away whilst ordering him a cup of tea and a muffin? Give me a spell. They are in a riot situation pushing people back. Do as you're told and move back. It's pretty simple really.

Reply #808413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, you're actually blaming the old man for the police action. No wonder police brutality continues to occur.

Don't 40% of police families experience domestic violence?

Reply #808415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ dont give me that "not all cops" crap.
By the same logic, dont give me that not all blacks crap.

Silly, very silly.
I simply stated facts about crimes in the US.
The rhetoric around cops killing only black men at high numbers doesnt show in the stats. Sorry

The US has a trigger heavy dickhead cop problem.
Not KKK cops just looking for a black man to kill like the media makes out.

Hate and division makes $$$$& and the brainwashed that won't even look at stats put under their noses keep fanning those flames

Reply #808416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you're admitting you think all blacks are a problem?

Reply #808417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the old man moved back like he was instructed to does he get pushed over?? Simply question really. With an equally simple answer. No he does not.

I was taught to do as I am told and obey the police. If I get told to get back I get back. It's not a difficult concept. The old man should have got back. The force the policeman used was hardly brutality...fucking left wing PC wankers ffs

I didn't see much outrage from you lot about the policeman who got shot in the back of the head at point blank range at the Las Vegas protests...very silent there.

Reply #808418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next time you get robbed or mugged or your house get's broken into make sure you do not call the police. They are all dogs.

Reply #808419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok so it's political correctness now to not want cops to bash people and knock old people over and leave them with head injuries. Gotcha.

Reply #808420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As stated if the old man moved back like he was instructed too he would not have been touched. Pretty simple concept even for you.

I see you ignored the Las Vegas policeman shooting...didn't suit your one sided argument I guess. No surprise

Reply #808421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No I ignored it because it was an entirely irrelevant comment to make when we're discussing solving the issue of police brutality.

The old man approached two police. There was no immediate threat to the police. One pushed him back, he fell down and hit his head, then not one single officer rendered first aid. Then when the police were stood down, other police quit in solidarity. If your only response is that it's the old man's fault instead of understanding why it's a callous act by 22 cops, then you're probably just a bully yourself.

Reply #808422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about Breonna Taylor? Want to talk about her? I guess that was her fault that she was sleeping while black, and not the cops who killed her, arrested her husband, then falsified their police report?

Reply #808423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No it just didn't suit your rhetoric

Reply #808424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And if you're going to dribble a lame argument get your facts right. 57 members of the emergency response task force quit in solidarity. But facts aren’t high on your agenda

Reply #808425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My bad, I was going off the top of my head. But happy to be corrected that over twice as many cops in that unit are pieces of shit.

Reply #808426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Calm down Matty A.

Reply #808427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow this thread is now rubbish.
Please close.

Reply #808428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most of Matt's takes are....

Reply #808431 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

RIP Cops 1989-2020

Reply #808436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They had a good run! Like BLM..... time to move on!

Reply #808440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another airball there Perthworld Richards.

Reply #808444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld is that flog Richo?

Reply #808445 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

No I'm not.

However the psycho stalker above in post #444 is Bruce AKA curious.

Reply #808449 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Why can't anons just choose a username? Any name will do, just stick to it. It's makes it easier to understand the flow of discussion. Although I can understand why some avoid doing so: some of the weakest and most inconsistent arguments come from those that don't want to be scrutinized.

Reply #808453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bringing attention to a matter is one thing, but it isn't enough alone. How do you effect change

Reply #808454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sad to see gang violence in Deer Park Melbourne last night with a 16 year old stabbed to death walking home from school.

Reply #808457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's that got to do with police brutality?

Reply #808459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing but there is also nothing wrong with the anon bringing the tragic Melbourne event to our attention.

Reply #808480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shut up and take photos.....

Reply #808481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Take photos???

Reply #808487 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Getting back to the Kyrie NBA boycott thing, imagine two scenarios:

1. Kyrie leads a push to boycott the remainder of the season.

The entire continuation of the 20-21 season is cancelled due to the players wanting to advance the BLM movement.

Other players are unhappy, and make it well known that they thought the best approach was to play out the season. But the number of players boycotting with Kyrie made it impractical to continue, so the NBA has no chance but to cancel.

2. The 20-21 season continues. The NBA finals is a massive hit for sports starved fans. The basketball storyline is Lebron continuing his quest for comparison with MJ. Many top players use their voice to continually talk about BLM in the media throughout the playoffs. Some put prominent messages on their uniforms or sneakers. Others publicly pledge to donate their salaries to BLM associated organisations.

In both scenarios:

Moving forward into a shortened offseason, with a US election in November and the re-scheduled Olympics next year, many top players continue talking about BLM at every opportunity, bringing their message across America and the Globe.

What would happen in each scenario?

Here's some thoughts

Under the cancellation model, there would be an initial media frenzy as the public realised "Wow! The season has been cancelled", but after a week or two, this initial frenzy would die down, and the boost to BLM might prove to be short-term.

Under the cancellation model, Fox News and conservative figures use this as an opportunity to extend the culture war nature of the debate. Of course, this would happen anyway, but the debate would become particularly vitriolic and divisive once the season was cancelled. Some NBA players comments- like Lebron, who wants the season to continue - would be used to fuel a debate and create a storyline about division amongst the NBA's stars. The public would become even more divided.

The continuation model has a better chance of getting the entire public on board and getting widespread support for BLM. Of course the debate would remain divisive, but to me, it seems continuing creates a better opportunity for a non-partison, uniting groundswell of support for a critical society-wide analysis of issues around law enforcement and racial inequality generally.

Reply #808488 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And of course, the other elephant in the room regarding the cancellation model is what type of long term damage to the game of basketball and the NBA would be done by losing the playoffs, and what impact does that have on the ability of guys like Kyrie to have a platform in the first place?

What of the cost structure of the NBA- would cuts need to be made to the NBA's social programs like NBA cares, etc?

Also, many younger players would lose earning opportunities and the playing group would generally become more divided- this would be a genuine reality, wholly apart from the media beat up that Fox News etc would likely generate.

Reply #808489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For the first time ever I agree with Kendrick Perkins. Kyrie shouldn't be saying he is willing to give it all up, he should just do it. What does saying I am "willing to" mean or even achieve. Do it or STFU.

Reply #808490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Him giving it all up by himself probably won't achieve much. All players giving up the season will, so I guess he is saying he is willing to give it up, and who else is joining him?

Reply #808493 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"Right, nobody has noticed the lack of NBA over the past few months and these players have no other platforms."

By the way, was this sarcasm? Are you suggesting the potential for attention while not playing would be anywhere near the attention while playing? Can we not all safely agree that playing opens up so many more opportunities for activism for the players.

Reply #808535 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

And so many fewer opportunities to actually achieve anything.

The only way to effect change is to hit those in power in the hip pocket.

Reply #808538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

koberulz, don't forget the players will be writing BLM on their sneakers so that will definitely solve racism.

Reply #808539 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[The only way to effect change is to hit those in power in the hip pocket].

You don't think this would shift the whole media narrative towards a story about the division amongst NBA players, between players and owners, players and the public etc?

Fundamentally I think the cancellation idea would mostly serve to create extra division in the media and therefore the public.

And the other question is, how long should the boycott go on for? We're talking about a rescheduled playoffs that's due to run from 31 July - 12 October. OK, so boycott that. What then? The next season starts December 1.

Does any NBA player really think - by refusing to do what they're paid to do, and by massively reducing their brand and their goodwill amongst their paying fan base- that they'll manage to change the entire American law enforcement system and create equality in society between now and 30 November? Clearly not. Surely not even an airhead like Kyrie thinks this....

What do they hope to achieve- what are the concrete goals? If they don't achieve those goals by 30 November, what, boycott 20-21 season as well?

The owmers would probably take them to court and rightfully refuse to pay them too - surely their contracts wouldn't allow them to simply refuse to play indefinitely?

I'm surprised there's so many people on this forum actually seriously considering this as a legit idea

Reply #808577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps they do need a stated goal so they can be seen to be working towards something, but two of the biggest political reforms in US history (Civil Rights Act and Voting Right Act) came of the back of large marches and violent protests, and were signed into law within months after their first introductions.

We've already seen some states ban certain policing methods (NY banned the chokehold for example) within weeks of the protests starting. So I guess with the progress made thus far, continued protest will see more action taken.

Reply #808586 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You don't think this would shift the whole media narrative towards a story about the division amongst NBA players, between players and owners, players and the public etc?
Well of course, the media is just as much a part of the current ruling class as the politicians are.

But again:
I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to 'order' than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice

Reply #808598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wheres Matt s hot takes?

Reply #808618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shut up and take photos...

Reply #808622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree! Failed NBL player has found his calling!

Reply #808630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are we talking about now?

Reply #808657 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:36 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754