TB
Years ago

Hawks new owners: Colangelo, Kordahi, Proctor

Bryan Colangelo, Dorry kordahi and Michael Proctor. More NBA expertise in our league, great news.

Topic #47304 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully Bryan stays off twitter this time around.

Reply #808460 | Report this post

Sourbroker  
Years ago

Someone in Adelaide is having an aneurysm - and not in the back of the knee kind...

Reply #808462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a long term Hawks loyalist.

This is great news. Far better than the other proposed ownership model.

Reply #808463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6795846/nbas-colangelo-buys-into-nbls-hawks/?cs=2443

Reply #808466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i guess Bryan will run the team Dorry is the money who is Michael proctor and what does he do

Reply #808468 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

'Illawarra' name also dropped. Now just called the Hawks.

Reply #808469 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Weird to drop the Illawarra

But people still being willing to 'invest' in the NBL is great news.

Reply #808470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting bit if their release.. they mentioned how exciting it was to play games in Canberra and expand the supporter base. Then drop the "Illawarra" part of the name. Some ducks lining up I think.

Reply #808471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there should be a grantee of 5 yrs ownership before they sell

Reply #808472 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Ahh yes. I should have read the other article first.

"The intention is for Wollongong to remain the primary base for the Hawks, supported by positive discussions with Venues NSW about upgrading the WIN Entertainment Centre to ensure we have the best venue possible to deliver world class entertainment for Hawks fans," he said.
“There are also opportunities for the Hawks to grow their fan base across the region following their success in taking games to Canberra in recent seasons.

Hawks Set to Soar as New Owners Take Charge

Reply #808474 | Report this post

Three to Make Two  
Years ago

Does this mean Hawks get Ben Simmons?

But, seriously, I wonder how much the Lamelo influence had on someone like Colangelo throwing his hat in the ring?

As to the removal of "Illawarra" in teh name and suggestions that it'll be "Regional NSW Hawks", how many regional towns have suitable venues? Canberra? Newcastle? Anywhere else?

Reply #808482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great news for basketball along the south coast aswell as the canberra region.

Goes to show the NBL is starting to get noticed on the world scene.

Dropping the Illawarra from the name was always going to happen imo they are trying to start something new and keeping the Hawks is a sign they still respect the history of the club.

These guys are all smart men in their own right and hopefully can convince players to join the team.

Makes you wonder who will be the coach surely it's not going to be Flinn

Reply #808483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My expectation from the drop of Illawarra is they will be gone from the region within 2-3 years unless the WIN entertainment centre reduce costs and refurbish.

Reply #808484 | Report this post

Palla47  
Years ago

Wow they really scraped the bottom of the barrel here

Reply #808491 | Report this post

D70  
Years ago

76ers fired Colangelo for what? Maybe its another other Colangelo.

Reply #808492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

are these guys going to spend the money?

Reply #808494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Illawarra dropped to remove any bankruptcy claim on new organisation.

Reply #808496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who thinks Campbell and Flinn are going to have a job next season

Reply #808497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think not , past record I don't think will be good enough for new owners

Reply #808499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a lot time left to sort out roster if new coaching staff is in before free agency.

Reply #808502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good news for the league with people still willing to invest in these tough times.
But I think tough times for the new owners as I think there won't be much to build a team around.

Reply #808503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

808496 get's it...

Reply #808504 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

This sounds pretty good and probably a good idea to drop Illawarra from the Hawks name they've had more than enough chances to keep the team there time to start gradually moving them on.

Reply #808510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibson, you heard it hear 1st.

Reply #808514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely a whole new coaching staff and front office will be hired in the coming weeks.

Moving the team to Sydney or Canberra if the WEC isn't fixed within 24 months seems very likely too imo

Reply #808515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone familiar with basketball in the ACT would know it's not realistic. Stop putting it forward as an option.

Reply #808519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Collars is now in the league!

Reply #808529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this has the bullets type deal to it....lets wait to see if they money settles into the nbl accounts!

Also they won't be in the south coast region much longer!

Reply #808530 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

The lack of suitable stadiums in Sydney apart from the one that's too big for the kings is an issue.

So Ornithologically speaking what's the difference between a Hawk and a Falcon?

Reply #808545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nsw government knocked down the entertainment centre, gave it developers to build units, smashed down a thirty year old rugby stadium to build a new one that nobody goes to. You work it out.
The Sydney tennis stadium has a roof on now and could be turned into a basketball stadium.
My bet is Newcastle if the fans show more passion than Illawarra.

Reply #808551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newcastle have as much chance of getting a team as Kyrie has of running his own league in competition with the NBA

Reply #808553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newcastle oh dear. better off with Canberra but they can't even run a basketball competition. Their last foray in the SEABL saw them winless. Hawks still hapless

Reply #808563 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

This is good news for the league.

Now they just have to get rid of the current management and coaches and start anew.

Every team has a , how can they just be called the Hawks?
Or will there be a big sponsor to come in and they can be called the Mitre 10 Hawks for example.

Reply #808565 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Good news for the team and league, but dropping the name is interesting.
Does this mean the writing is on the wall for a move??

The idea of expanding the appeal is, IMHO, BS. People outside the area won't suddenly start supporting a random team just because it has no area identifier. At the risk of drawing yet another ill-fitting AFL comparison, it reminds me of the period when North Melbourne simply became the "Kangaroos". It didn't work, and they didn't finish up relocating.

OR, are they just trying to pt pressure on the respective governments, to upgrade the venue??

Reply #808570 | Report this post

Wilbur  
Years ago

Arise the Canberra Cannons

Reply #808573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Games in the Gong, Canberra and Newcastle how will that work with sponsors and season seat holders? So much for all the Ball BS.

Reply #808603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Local Hawks die hard are ropable, can't see this working.

Reply #808606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 4 diehards will get over it

Reply #808607 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Local Hawks die hard are ropable, can't see this working.

Maybe if these 'die hards' attended their games, the Hawks wouldn't be in this situation.

The anger or loss of support from 'die hards' is hardly going to move the needle.

You guys didn't support your team, now you can personally witness the transition away.

Reply #808609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The few die hards who turned up good on ya. The pretend ones bad luck. This or nothing.

Reply #808612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dropping the name is stupid, I understand changing Wollongong to the greater area of Illawara years ago but now what, south coast hawks?
Like that would make any difference to supporter growth.

Canberra, Newcastle, Wellington, Geelong, Townsville, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Western Sydney are the only other options that could ever be.

Reply #808613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As previously said, name had to change so the new ownership doesn't take on previous owner debt. Business 101.

Reply #808616 | Report this post

Three to Make Two  
Years ago

"Maybe if these 'die hards' attended their games, the Hawks wouldn't be in this situation."

The "diehards" do attend the games. But either not enough of them or not enough casuals to satisfy the owners.

"I understand changing Wollongong to the greater area of Illawara years ago but now what, south coast hawks?"

Actually , it was "Illawarra "in the beginning. Some marketing guru got involved and changed it to Wollongong before it was changed back .

But how about "South East Australia Hawks"? Seahawks for short.

Reply #808619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks had a lot Monday night games last season, it's a horrible place to get to and park, the food was crap and expensive. They have 2500 solid supporters but the casuals don’t bother to go due to these problems.

Reply #808621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South east Melbourne too similar.

South coast or greater south or southern coast or south sydney or southside

Reply #808624 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Eastside Hawks or Central Hawks

Reply #808626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As previously said, name had to change so the new ownership doesn't take on previous owner debt. Business 101.

I realise this may sound ironic, given the very nature of this forum...
but maybe stop making silly comments about things you clearly don't understand.

A new owner is never liable for the debts of a prior owner, unless they take control of the existing legal entity (in which case they're not actually a new owner.)
What they have to do is purchase the necessary assets, including the IP, from the previous entity, at fair market value, and that previous entity must then settle its debts in accordance with the legal priorities. (Keeping in mind that for a perennial loss-maker, the fma of the IP will be extremely low.)

Since the licence (and possibly other assets) were surrendered to the NBl, those assets may pass through the hands of the NBL, but the process is still the same.

Reply #808631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" and that previous entity must then settle its debts in accordance with the legal priorities." So the last owners have to pay all outstandings?

Reply #808639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kordahi was on Perth radio last night saying that their first priority is a head coach, so Flinn is obviously gone. Thank goodness. Should never have been a head coach in the first place.

Reply #808652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any rumours on new coach?

Reply #808661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibson

Reply #808664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Hawks asst coaching has been a joke for a quite a while now...its really been lucky they had Gordie & Rob

Reply #808678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do we think NBL twitter goes after "Collars" to see if we can gt his "Wife" into a bit of friendly banter.

Reply #808679 | Report this post

J Bags  
Years ago

If the new ownership was serious about their investment they'd take the WEC & Stadium off the hands of Venues NSW and make it a beachfront precinct.
However, I see it spelling the end of the Hawks in Wollongong. Looks like they'll play a few token games here and the majority will be Canberra.

Reply #808711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strange how business & the Illawarra aboriginal Group are pulling their sponsorship from the Hawks because Illawarra has been taken out
I get Illawarra Hawks are the last original club standing but seriously by pulling their sponsorship out only means the end of the franchise & moving on. If the people of Illawarra want the team to stay they need to get behind it in both business & fans

Reply #808757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fans definitely do but a local business would invest with the expectation that local people see their sponsorship, otherwise what is the point?

Reply #808759 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Hmmm yeah, you have to wonder if this isn't a ploy, to keep the "history" of the Hawks, whilst moving them to a more lucrative location??

Or at the very least to put the pressure on the respective governments to upgrade their venues.
I honestly don't see the idea of sharing games as working. Move too many to Canberra, or wherever, and you just piss off what's left of the local support, without anybody in Canberra getting on board.

I don't know anywhere near enough about NSW regions and demographics to say what would work.
Also have to remember that whilst widespread support is nice, it doesn't always put bums on seats. Whatever the name, they need to work on getting those within easy reach to actually stump up and come to games.

Reply #808761 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Interesting to read that Colangelo is really just an investor who will act as a 'consultant' when needed.

The NBL announced the move in a press release. Colangelo is co-owner with Dorry Kordahi, a former part-owner of the Sydney Kings, and Michael Proctor. Colangelo will not have a day-to-day role as GM/President but will serve as a consultant and advisor to the basketball operations side.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/06/17/bryan-colangelo-now-part-owner-of-lamelo-balls-old-australian-team/

Reply #808762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wollongong will be the home base and they will play a few games in Canberra probably 2 to 3.

Newcastle has been mentioned as another place aswell as Western Sydney.

Alot of people are having a say at the moment but did they actually even attend games when the club needed them to.

Politicans are piping up having a go at the NBL but did they help with getting the NSW gov to actually fix the WEC.

Now we have a sponsor pulling out due to a name change seriously that is rather pathetic imo.

They should be thankful the NBL actually went through the process to find the right type of people to push the club in the right direction.

Reply #808766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree, I am a regular "Hawks fan" and I will be over the moon if we get new young fans in Canberra, Newcastle jumping on board,

There needs to be a little honesty here, we have 300'000, Sydney have 5 million people, you would have to be a marketing wizard to convince sponsors to ignore those numbers

8 games - Gong,
6 games - Canberra / Newcastle ( 3 each)

Finals in the Gong

Reply #808776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Long time Hawks fan here also. I was a bit surprised when they dropped Illawarra from the name but doesn't mean that its not gone forever.

I am more interested in how they are going to re-build the team and it has to be from the ground up.

They have got to get the back room staff right then bring in a coaching team who has experience and last of all the right type of players.

Dech, Froling, Glover and Harris are all young and have talent if they can add some veteran experience and get some good imports they can be more then comeptitive.

Reply #808791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The newspaper is on the war path with some kind of agenda. Probably due to the fact they had been sprouting on about La-melo was a done deal as owner and completely blindsided by the announcement and realising they didnt have the real inside information like they thought.

Reply #808803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree on coaching staff, the quality of the people they bring in with show how serious they are

Reply #808808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could they get?

Import/Naar
Dech/Glover
Adel/Blanchfield or Coenraad
Cooks/1 of those Aussie kiwi pfs from college or overseas (M.Maker, Mayen, Wetzell, Freeman etc etc)
Import/Ogilvy

Also grab another big as NS imo like okwera or jones

Reply #808809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Idoubt AJ or Blanchfield will be back and i think the club can do better.

Coenraad has had his time and also should look past him.

If Crooks gets the flick i doubt his sun would come and i thought he would chase money in europe.

I also think Naar will move on also and Grida is done for a while.

Reply #808812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's alright to say move on but not certain some Illawarra players have got what other clubs need. Some might get some relatively low offers that might keep them.

Reply #808829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MOst of the previous players were good but not really elite NBL players. Still an aloso ran side and talk of finals is very premature.

Reply #808831 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Dech is returning to Perth after his current contract

Reply #808833 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He doesn't have a current contract.

Reply #808835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe hawks had four players under contract that the nbl said they would honour so they remain at hawks. Dech is one of them.

Reply #808836 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Those contracts were with an entity that no longer exists. They're all free agents.

Reply #808839 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Agree, I am a regular "Hawks fan" and I will be over the moon if we get new young fans in Canberra, Newcastle jumping on board,

Why?

When Dr jack took over the Cats, one of his directives was to take BBall back to the community, and the Cats do that. When they've the championship, they take the trophy on a tour, the length and breadth of the state, with community and school appears. And that is just the tip of the iceberg. We have fans from Esperance to Wyndham.
It's great, because the Cats can afford to do that. And who knows, there's probably a few fans in those tiny towns who actually buy merchandise. It's nice, but its in no way profitable, and it certainly doesn't put bums on seats.

Maybe The Hawks should have leapt in when Sydney were out on their arse, changed their colours, and become the NSW Hawks. If somebody from outside the Gong magically decides to support the Hawks that's wonderful, but it's not going to generate money unless they actually start going to games.

And as for relocating games, it doesn't work unless somebody is paying you. Back in the pre-Jack dark ages, the Cats sold games to the NT and Singapore governments.
The AFL routinely pays their basketcase teams to play in bumfuck nowhere, and in fact gives money to Tasmanian so that the Tasmanian govt can "sponsor" the Hawks and Norths.

Who the fuck is going to pay you to play games in Newcastle??
If you're relying on crowd support, it just doesn't work. These aren't extra games. You LOSE the money from not playing at home, and so you have to sell even more tickets just to break even.

So if you've got say 2,000 fans at home in the Gong, you can spend money trying to generate 2,000 more fans in Canberra, split the games, and still lose money on the higher costs.
OR, you could try to generate an extra 2,000 fans in the Gong, which should not only be easier, but is a pure profit add.

Reply #808841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D2.0 flog

Reply #808842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But another overpriced wildcats shirt D2.0 to show your Twitter friends that you don't have in real life

Reply #808843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's Dazz. Nuff said.

Reply #808873 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:24 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754