Isaac
Years ago

NBA players test positive to COVID-19 ahead of restart

Nikola Jokic has tested positive a couple of weeks after hanging out with tennis player Djokovic, who also tested positive.

Malcolm Brogdon (Pacers) has tested positive. As have Kings team-mates Buddy Hield, Alex Len and Jabari Parker. Comments on r/NBA about Hield playing in a league two weeks ago, so might be a few others to come if NBA colleagues suited too.

All-Coronavirus team picking up some nice depth at SG

All-COVID team looking solid in the paint with Gobert and Jokic now...

Topic #47325 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

tennis player Djokovic, who also tested positive.

Novaxx Djocovid

A fourth unnamed Sacramento player has also tested positive.

Reply #809479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who cares let them play

Reply #809480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^idiot

Reply #809481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ 9480
"Who cares let them play"

What a fuckwit. You've just put yourself in the same stupidity category as Donald Trump.

Congratulations.

Reply #809482 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Novaxx Djocovid.

Nice work Zodiac.

Reply #809484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 'let them play idiot' is probably Victorian.

Reply #809485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any links to the protests?

Reply #809486 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

I heard a few players got the flu virus too. Better shut down the league

Reply #809489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andrew, you really haven't been paying attention to the world the past few months, have you?

Reply #809491 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Yes I have. Imagine the fear if they reported cumulative statistics on everyone that contracts and dies from or was deemed to have died from influenza every single day

Reply #809494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the flu got to do with anything?

Reply #809495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard a few players got a headache better shut it down!

Treat Covid like a hamstring, sit for 14 dats and we kep playing.

The world an't stop everytime someone gets COVID or we'll never get going again.

A bit of herd immunity and survival of the fitess isn't a bad thing

Reply #809497 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Andrew, I suppose you're the dingbat wanting to run a tournament during a pandemic!

Reply #809503 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Treat Covid like a hamstring, sit for 14 dats and we kep playing.
Ah yes, the famous contagious hamstring. That you find out you've got 1-2 weeks after you're hit, having been spread it around during that period.

Obviously players can sit out for a time to recover and then be reevaluated. The reason it's all of interest is that there's a delay on evidence of it spreading.

Where do the "flu people" come from in Australia? It's not either of the major political parties. Are they influenced by shockjocks or is it organised behaviour drifting over via Facebook from the US? Is it a split along class lines? I'm genuinely curious because Hoops is the only place I've encountered it.

Back on topic, Derrick Jones Jr from the Heat has now tested positive.

Reply #809504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, your comment- "I'm genuinely curious because Hoops is the only place I've encountered it."
You must not have too many 20-35yo mums on your Facebook, so much antivax chatter these days it is ridiculous. Those poor kids!

Reply #809506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A bit of herd immunity and survival of the fitess isn't a bad thing

This is the reason places like Victoria are screwed. There was a guy on the news this morning saying so what if I get it. I ain't stopping my life. He was asked what if get contracts it and gives it to his grandmother....he just shrugged his shoulders. Oh well. I'm tipping most people with the above attitude will think differently if and when it happens top them. How is that herd immunity working in the USA right now?

Reply #809507 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

"Where do the "flu people" come from in Australia? It's not either of the major political parties. Are they influenced by shockjocks or is it organised behaviour drifting over via Facebook from the US? Is it a split along class lines? I'm genuinely curious because Hoops is the only place I've encountered it."

Wish I could say the same. I think you're right on the behaviour drift, and I see it on FB and Twitter all the time, despite what has happened over the past couple of months. Want to know what happens if you re-open too early? Look at the US. Want to know what happens if you don't lockdown and "keep the economy going"? Look at Sweden. Want to know what happens if you just ignore it all together and talk about it like it's the flu? Look at Brazil.

I was as big a skeptic as anyone at the beginning, but it takes a special kind of ignorance/stupidity to keep toeing the line on that one. An old bball buddy of mine lives in Madrid about a block away from the ice hockey rink that was turned into a morgue, and early on it was my chats with him that really opened my eyes up.

Reply #809511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two Phoenix Suns unnamed players tested positive also.

Reply #809513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Based on the above are we to keep everything shut until zero cases in Australia?

Do the borders remain shut forever and we became North Korea of the Pacific?

Waiting for a vaccine isn't really feasible based on the fact it might never happen so we can't plan for "What if's" when running a league or country you've got to solider on.

Reply #809521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'm tipping most people with the above attitude will think differently if and when it happens top them."

That's not really the most damaging scenario for these folks. It's the difficulty they'll have of finding an ambulance, hospital bed, ICU bed when they're filled with people with COVID-19. e.g., they have a serious injury or illness (not COVID-19) and need a hospital/ICU bed. People dying of septic shock because EDs are so overloaded that the sepsis wasn't detected soon enough, etc. Sepsis is one of the biggest killers every year, possibly the biggest. It's highly lethal and progresses rapidly (death often within 48 hours). Detecting it or not in ED or shortly after admission has a massive impact on outcome.

The other thing they forget is that the economy would be crippled by letting the pandemic loose. Picture most of your favourite restaurants and retail shops closing because too many staff are too sick or too frightened to work; some owners are too sick/frightened to open up; most customers are too frightened to go there and be served by apparently symptomatic staff. The imagine not being able to access welfare and support services for the same reasons; airlines closed down because not enough people are willing and able to pay for flights; similarly most of the travel and tourism industries; etc.

If some people feel frustrated by the current management of the pandemic, they would be devastated by the impacts on their wallets and lifestyles if we went down the "survival of the fittest" path.

PS - it's worth noting the COVID-19 impacts have been greater for men than women. The working hypothesis is based on a known biochemical mechanism involving male sex hormones (androgens). The androgens make it easier for the virus to penetrate cells within the body. Men usually have more androgens than women and children who've not yet reached puberty. So men get the virus more easily and suffer more severe impacts and a higher death rate. So the fittest in a COVID-19 ravaged world would be women and children below puberty. Interesting, given we're seeing quite a few, high profile, male athletes getting this thing now that the restrictions have been loosened.

Reply #809526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Based on the above are we to keep everything shut until zero cases in Australia? "

No it means we practice social distancing and take other precautions while there are active cases in the community, which most people seem to be able to do. If we see cases drop, we can re-open things. If we see spikes in cases, things will need to close down again because the potential for exponential spikes is massive.

Reply #809527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Based on the above are we to keep everything shut until zero cases in Australia? "

No. No-one is saying or doing that in government. And the restrictions that have already been removed demonstrate that. Hell, we didn't even close 'everything' when the most severe restrictions were in place, back in March and April.

But international borders will remain restricted until there's a vaccine or widespread, accessible treatment that reduces the health impacts of COVID-19 infections on mortality and hospital resources (beds, staff, ventilators) to manageable levels.

Within Australia, how the Victorian outbreaks progress and whether they can be brought under control will have a lot to do with how far governments go with removal of restrictions. The biggest factor will be how well people can modify their behaviours to minimise the risk of transmission of the virus. Experience to date in Australia, USA, and other western countries is that too many people are ignoring the need to take some individual responsibility for their own health and that of others. That's not surprising - it's really hard to change some of our ingrained social practices.

So we'll have varying levels of restrictions for the foreseeable future (12-24 months). Levels and nature of restrictions will reflect locations and severities of outbreaks as and when they will occur. Just like is happening in Victoria at the moment.

Reply #809528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So life is hold for 12-24 months? just can't see that happening as there'll be nothing left to come back to and society will start to fall apart.

The international travel is massive as that direct foreign investment or purchasing of foreign services etc happens face to face or with people flying into to review significant investments in the mid tier SME sector particularity.

The financial services sector is already seeing this with internal capital invest,rent into Australia drying up as these deals are usually done face to face to build/establish relationships (zoom dont cut it!) as those other countries open up as we are seeing we'll be left behind which could take years to recover from if we recover at all.

Reply #809532 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You must not have too many 20-35yo mums on your Facebook, so much antivax chatter these days it is ridiculous. Those poor kids!
I don't use Facebook which is why I wondered if this was the primary vector, and also where they get it from. Can't think of anyone antivax in my circles. I know this stuff exists on Twitter but I don't see any of it (presumably social graph, or algorithms masking some of the replies to tweets if I go looking).

Does the flu stuff arrive from elsewhere (e.g., first exposure is seeing it in social media) or is it an innate thought (first exposure is something else) bolstered by external commentary?

The people that are distressed about lockdowns or "there'll be nothing left to come back to and society will start to fall apart", roughly where are you living and what industries are you working in? e.g., the vibe in Melbourne is likely to be quite different to Adelaide where things have relaxed significantly in recent months. Working in hospitality or meat packing, you might have a different reaction to white-collars working from home.
I was as big a skeptic as anyone at the beginning
But what would make you at all skeptical? You don't barricade suburbs indoors and roll out drones with loudspeakers unless it's a big deal. When news first started breaking here, and you could see that the numbers and response were serious, a colleague and I were talking about the inevitability of it hitting and what would happen. We stockpiled gear well before panic-buying was publicly evident.

And though I don't work in hospitality or even have a formal job and can easily work from anywhere, I lost a few tenants and we cut the rate for others, I'm exposed in terms of risk to hospitality and tourism (via Serio) and general marketing budgets (via Triplezero, Hoops ads, etc). Cancelled a significant trip overseas, plus some domestic travel. The workfront was a wasteland for a while there so I had reason to gripe about the impact of quarantine, but I feel that unchecked, this virus would do a lot more damage and it's likely necessary pain.

Maybe the sentiment is vastly different if your peers suffered serious job losses or you work in the arts and lacked a government support package or travel out of state/country a lot for work. As I said, I'm genuinely interested in understanding some of the comments and reactions people have had.

Reply #809540 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

So life is hold for 12-24 months?
My kids are at school*, youngest at childcare. I'm still working at my office or home. I swapped a planned international trip with intrastate trips. Going without packed stadia or making do with Zoom calls isn't quite "life is on hold" and "there'll be nothing left to come back to and society will start to fall apart." Distancing or masks in public or small-mid venues isn't a huge imposition for the public and should exist even without formal restrictions.

Even before there were restrictions on travel, we canned our proposed trip to the US because the risk in terms of medical costs was too extreme. That sort of response or market dampening is independent of restrictions. They could open up full sports or concert crowds, but you couldn't pay me to go to either for a while yet.

*At some point, I messaged a doctor (and former basketball player) about it all. He said he'd already pulled his kids out of school. That was confirmation for me, so we followed suit. Trying to work with a toddler at home is a huge pain, but not end of society even if many parents implied as much at the time...

Reply #809544 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Isaac, I think you're defining "the beginning" rather later than you could be. I too was skeptical at first - I've seen SARS and bird flu and swine flu and whatever else get hyped up and blow over in my lifetime - but I was also one of the first on board for cancelling the grand final. So by the time lockdowns were actually happening I was absolutely taking it seriously. And all that without having Darren Ng on speed dial.

Reply #809562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bigger picture is the human cost of the collapse that happening because everyone is scared to leave the house.

In the end life must continue and the world will move on whislt we remain stuck in Australia.

The financial system needs the international money/supply as we are yet a pimple on the world so without those global mechanisms we'll go into a self inflicted depression.

Ask anyone international deals are done on a face to face basis by developing relationship over time which can't be done working at home.

I'm seeing this in the financial sector i work in with backing from Europe/US reducing and the ability to complete new deals non existent until you can pitch it in front of them.

Hence we need to open the doors and get going again.

Reply #809566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^

Except the US and a number of the European countries are among the worst in the world and will end up having to shut their borders whether they like it or not.
How anyone could think that it is reasonable to refer to the US as who we should listen to or follow WRT the corona virus and its management is beyond me.

A country imploding with a leader that is a complete nuff nuff.

I suggest if they are your reference point for how to act - go live there

Knob head

Reply #809599 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

US has closed borders to some large countries. Europe considering closing off the US. Almost every country has closed off or restricted travel in some way.

Maybe try the "Zoom's just not the same" argument with the PM? Dare say their balance of top-tier economic and medical advice has recommended the current path forward and that the government would be keen to favour the business case if the repercussions weren’t serious.

Reply #809600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just can't understand the stupidity of comments like "... as there'll be nothing left to come back to and society will start to fall apart."

Based on what? You really think some isolation and shutting down of non-esential activity is going to destory society. WHat a supperficial life some lead.

Reply #809602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I find it funny how the press isn't reporting Covid deaths anymore, just infections. The death rate has plummeted world wide yet infections are higher than ever. Could this mean we are building an immunity already?

Reply #809712 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"I find it funny how the press isn't reporting Covid deaths anymore, just infections"

The press I'm seeing are still reporting deaths.

"The death rate has plummeted world wide yet infections are higher than ever. Could this mean we are building an immunity already?"

No, its that we're identifying more infected people than previously due to better testing regimes which was something that most experts said was the case at the time.

Also, in places where they've managed to flatten the curve somewhat, they're now able to dedicate more resources to helping those infected, and those places that have been hit later (ie, current hotspots in the south of the US) are better prepared than those affected earlier.

Reply #809715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We'll see what happens in two weeks after the death rate is expected to rise along with the increase in cases.

Reply #809717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#712 Herd immunity requires between 70% and 90% of the population to be immune to a virus. For most virus you require a vaccine to reach this number. The World and Australia are a long long way from building immunity

Reply #809719 | Report this post

Triton 26  
Years ago

The problem with Herd immunity is that it relies on people actually developing immunity after being infected. However, there is little to no evidence that this actually occurs. Like none.
The UK started trying to do the herd immunity idea and then abandoned it. Sweden tried it, only to find out that the numbers of people who seemed to have any trace of immunity was incredibly low. It was a disaster.

The reality is that without a vaccine, the virus will be continuing to circulate for some time. Any thought of International travel is a long way away.

Reply #809722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So i guess we'll hide and people will go hungry pretty quickly with no work/income.

Those who are employees won't like it much when the government can't keep paying jobkeeper and reduces jobseeker you'll go broke real quick so hence SME employees will hurt the most.

Its a tough call but to protect the middle and lower classes we need an economy as it will hurt them most while comparatively upper class will be better off so if you are an employee have fun in line at centrelink...but you'll have your health but no where to live!

The only great thing about the shut down is we are flooded with applications and I'm putting people on at 30% less than others we've had on for a longer period so pay cuts for everyone or they can head to centrelink!

Reply #809723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you're hiring people but paying them 30% less than what they'd normally get? And then threatening the rest with paycuts because you can?

Reply #809725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess some of us have morals, and others don't #809723

Reply #809727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#723 is basically saying we need to ignore the virus for financial reasons because he doesn't want his company to go broke, but at the same time he's happy to see individuals go broke if he doesn't get his own way. What a cunt!

Reply #809729 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I'm not supporting Anon'723 but right now its a hirer's market.

Candidates far outnumber roles, and yes, I have seen rates drop (not by 30% yet) but significant drops nonetheless.

If a worker happily accepts an offer to work for less than what was paid previously, does that make the boss a bad person?

Reply #809731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he's threatening them with their jobs during a pandemic and this economic crisis, then yes.

Reply #809732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can't threaten people directly but its clear when you outline the situation in the wider economy and what salary ranges new employees and applicants will accept.

In the end this is great for employers in the medium/long term but terrible for the country but hey lets all sit at home and not work....enjoy being poor forever

Reply #809734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ you sir are a first grade asshole and I hope your company goes belly up

Reply #809735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually COVID been great for my business, lower cost/salary base and increased business in the front end.

That will slow down as my clients are forced to stay closed but we'll just chop more heads to make op for it in the coming months once we can't pay them any less due to minimum wage laws. (Which we always comply with!)

In the end the employee looses as i can scale back and still make plenty just means i'll have to do some actual work again but that wouldn't hurt in the medium term.

Reply #809737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh look another wanker. Hope you get outed! And I will laugh my fucking ass off. But good for you hero

Reply #809739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you're such a ruthless businessman, why do you pay above minimum wages now?

Reply #809745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Back on topic. Total of 16 NBA players have tested positive now, in the first week of testing.

Reply #809749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gotta love the "Aussies" who use the word ASS.

Reply #809750 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

"Ask anyone international deals are done on a face to face basis by developing relationship over time which can't be done working at home."

Absolute bullocks.

Reply #809751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They hot message on singlet now so they'll play cause BLM gives you immunity to covid

Reply #809753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Right...

Reply #809757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another crap thread has deteriorated.

Reply #809758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With minimal interference from Dr KobeR. Amazing.

Reply #809762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DeAndre Jordan tested positive!

He been playing like he is sick for a while so no great loss.

Reply #809787 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Another Net:

[Charania] Nets guard Spencer Dinwiddie (@SDinwiddie_25) tells @TheAthleticNBA he has tested positive for coronavirus and has symptoms, creating doubt over his status for NBA restart.

Reply #809794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

has adel deng got a chance to get on the nets team now

Reply #809795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kyrie got into eeveryone ears at the NETS so they sending a Gleague team

Reply #809798 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:43 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754