JP32
Years ago

AAU junior tournament in Melbourne next week

AAU Australia are running a junior tournament next week during a Corona outbreak. Kids from all over Melbourne will be travelling and playing. Is this really the right thing to do given what's going on. I know kids can play but is it the responsible thing or is it a cash grab?

Topic #47326 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure It's a cash grab surely no body is signing up to play.

Reply #809492 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

What is AAU, is it like a basketball subculture?

Reply #809493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People still allowed to earn a living so they can run the tourney.

If you worried don't go

Reply #809496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the recent changes by Dan Andrews to counter this potential 'second wave' which to lowers the amount of people who can gather in groups indoors, I would think this can’t go ahead legally

Reply #809499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andrews stuffed up but its clear the state needs to get working or the cost will out weigh the benefit.

Its hardly a second wave when you look at the numbers vs the population etc

Reply #809501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They expect kids who have been on the Xbox for the last 3 months to play 6 games in 2 weeks on zero training. Hope they have the 000 on speed dial.

Reply #809505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AAU is Amature Athletic Union. American concept. Massive out of school tournaments for kids. Big exposure. They are selling this in Australia as a way of getting noticed by all of the colleges that will be watching the livestream (that you and I pay for). Just a tip. They aren't watching.

Reply #809508 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

How does this line-up with quality of VJBL - are these kids playing at VC level or is it quite varied? Thanks

Reply #809515 | Report this post

Tjamu  
Years ago

I'd hope AAU doesnt take off in Australia. It ruined American basketball and is a breeding ground for bad habits.

I'm not saying every player has to be elite at everything, but with AAU you fast get guards just playing isolation all game, shooting 15 threes and not even trying on D. Nobody plays any D, people score 50+ points on cherry pick passes and its bullcrap. Kobe Bryant, Gilbert Arenas and many others have voiced concerns with the fact that Europeans are better players (skillwise) because theyre raised playing structured team ball from the jump. American kids are put in systems where they fight with their team and the opposition to stand out.

Team play, open shots, intangibles and hustling for loose balls (literally the staple of all Aussie players not named Ben Simmons) are exactly why were getting more and more guys into the NBA and our local NBL guys are improving.

I'd hate to see it all go down the drain due to a culture change and some cash grabbing being done

Reply #809545 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Yep that doesn't sound great.

Reply #809579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #809614 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Wonder if this is going ahead. Are they, for instance, asking people from Vic hotspots to not attend? If I was playing (and I'm not) then I’d be asking that question of the organisers.

Reply #809726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's going ahead. Just checked and raps are online. Pretty sure of you’ve played the money they done care where you’re coming from. Hot spot or not. Should be cancelled

Reply #809738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let them play!

Free country

Reply #809740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One positive case out of this joke and it will ruin it for everyone who have taken the right path back. It's just selfish!

Reply #809741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Free country!!! Bring back guns and legalise drugs!!!
(before the idiots comment, that was sarcasm)

Reply #809748 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:55 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754