Isaac
Years ago

Vince Carter announces his retirement

No surprise given the situation and previous statements, but he's now confirmed it.

After 22 seasons in the NBA, Vince Carter is hanging up his threads and calling it a career.

The 43-year-old on Thursday announced that he is "officially done playing basketball professionally" on his podcast "Winging It With Vince Carter."

Carter had previously announced that the one-year deal he signed with the Atlanta Hawks for the 2019-2020 season would be his last. However, after the season was abruptly suspended on March 11 due to the pandemic, his playing career was left hanging in the balance.
Carter began his career in 1998 with the Toronto Raptors, where he won Rookie of the Year in his first season. He would go on to make eight All-Star teams.
Across his 22-season career, he played for the Toronto Raptors, New Jersey Nets, Orlando Magic, Phoenix Suns, Dallas Mavericks, Memphis Grizzlies, Sacramento Kings and the Atlanta Hawks.
Have to admire the fact that he went from dunker/scorer to such a long stint in the league. Having the three-point shot in his arsenal would've helped, but no doubt being able to adapt to a declining/veteran role after having such a showy reputation was a factor also.

Topic #47327 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

Honestly, if you told me 20 years ago that Carter would finish up in 2020 after 22 years I would have laughed at you. He would have been one of the last guys I would have thought would last that long.

As you've said, its a testament to him that he was able to constantly adapt and find a way to still help a team;

Reply #809510 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Interesting that he never ring chased either. Just seemed happy to be able to play a role wherever he went. He could easily have joined a Warriors or Cavs team in the last couple of years but decided to go to teams like the Kings and Hawks instead.

Reply #809512 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Great career .
Transformed his role as he got older.

Reply #809517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More respect for him not hanging on and chasing a ring.

It degrades a number fo the x stars that go chasing rings.

Reply #809520 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Will history care about ring chasing?

History will show Clyde Drexler with 1 ring and John Stockton 0 and less than Drexler requested a trade to a contender where Stockton stayed loyal to the Jazz.

Reply #809552 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I feel really happy for Vinsanity it was such an incredible transition he made over time. From a high-flying rookie to an absolute superstar player a few years later to then transition to a quality role player is such a credit to him. Who would've thought back in the late 90's VC would end up having the longest career in NBA history?

I said it at the time but I'll say it again Vince Carter of the early-2000's with his freakish athleticism and gun 3pt shooting was (for a brief period) the best player I've ever seen not named Michael Jordan. And prime MJ would've have real trouble trying to guard peak VC.

Reply #809555 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

Tracy Mcgrady has said he regrets leaving the Raptors. Raptors would have had more success and contended for championships if he stayed. And Vince Carter wouldn't have likely asked for a trade so quickly when things went pair shaped.

Reply #810345 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:09 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754