BeeGee
Years ago

2020/21 Hungry Jack's NBL Season to Tip Off in December

The National Basketball League has been working closely with its key stakeholders including the nine Clubs and the Australian Basketball Players' Association (ABPA) as it plans for the 2020-21 Hungry Jack’s NBL Season.

NBL Owner and Executive Chairman Larry Kestelman said: "After consulting with the Clubs, ABPA, relevant government authorities and acting on the advice of the NBL’s Medical Officer, we are aiming to start the 2020-21 Hungry Jack’s NBL Season on or around December 3 and for the regular season to conclude by mid to late April 2021.

“We believe this gives us the best chance to be able to accommodate as many fans as possible into venues and gives some certainty for our Clubs, players, sponsors, venues and fans as they plan for next season.

“We are also heartened by the progress other sporting leagues have made as they have returned to play, in particular the easing of restrictions in some states to allow fans back into venues in a limited capacity. We will continue to monitor their progress and work with the relevant government authorities as we plan for our season.

“The lifeblood of the NBL is its fans and we will be doing everything possible to start our season in front of our much loved fans. This includes working closely with government authorities to ensure all the appropriate protocols are observed. We cannot take anything for granted and we all must remain vigilant over the coming weeks and months."

NBL Commissioner Jeremy Loeliger said given the later than normal start to the 2020-21 Hungry Jack’s NBL Season, the NBL and the ABPA have agreed for the free agency period to now begin on Wednesday July 15.

Loeliger said: “This will allow players more time to prepare for free agency as they consider their futures. It will also allow extra time for Clubs, including The Hawks who have transitioned to new owners over the past week and are currently finalising coaching and staffing arrangements.

“With the current uncertainty around other basketball leagues, we are confident the NBL will remain a highly attractive option for players from both Australia and New Zealand as well as around the world. The NBL is one of the best leagues in the world outside of the NBA and Australia and New Zealand will be among the safest places in the world to play.”

Topic #47328 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

'sets up clash NRL/AFL clash'
smh

Reply #809516 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

This is expected and reasonable.

Reality is, if they want fans in stadiums, December gives a solid 5 months for Australia to reduce its levels to a point where having full stadiums does not present much of a risk (ie, community transmission of Corona gone).

Reply #809519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty hopefully re the crowds...seeing at Melb are a key market and the current premier is running a sh*tshow they can't start the league without crowds in Melbourne.

Reply #809522 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Years ago

The season normally starts in late October right? If so, that's not too bad of a delay, especially compared to AFL / NRL. Also, should be right around the time AFL and NRL do actually finish.

I wonder if there will be a Christmas day clash and more games per week?

Reply #809524 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The NBL season normally starts in early October.

Reply #809530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The season is finishing later so I'd doubt more mid week games and I’d be very surprised if there was a Christmas Day game

Reply #809531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe sport on Christmas Day would save us from people having lunch with 40 of their closest family members...

Reply #809533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you can sit in an indoor stadium with thousands of strangers

Reply #809534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In respect of the Premier of Victoria, he isn't running a sh*tshow, people are selfish and not following the rules to social distance, stay at home, don't go to parties.

Reply #809536 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

That's what, an 8 week delay?? Yikes

It's all very well to say let's delay the start to after the AFL & NRL has finished, but what happens at the end. Highly doubftul those codes will delay next season.

I also think the league needs to look at scheduling, and include more doubles.
Rather than have the scenarios where a team plays at home on Friday, then flies across the country to play on Sunday (or vice versa) I would rather see a team travel to Qld, and play both Cairns and Brissy, NSW for Kings and Hawks, and Melbourne should be a no-brainer

Reducing travel would not only save money and reduce fatigue, but has got to become the new normal post covid.

Reply #809537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to See that Cal Bruton spewing hate on facebook.

He just called NBL foundation club the Nunawading Spectres racist on facebook for not having enough Black imports? (Seems like reverse racism from Cal)

The logo is the grim reaper and that racist too?

Can someone check on Cal make sure he is ok?

Reply #809539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The logo is actually called Spook. Do some research on that word and you might find it also has some racial undertones. May also explain why black imports actually don't want to play at Nunawading.

Reply #809546 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Good to See that Cal Bruton spewing hate on facebook.

He's not spewing hate, but I agree that it's good to see so thanks for mentioning it so I could go have a look.
It's unfortunate that some people are so fragile that they can't even cope with having patterns pointed out to them - such as how many of the top players passing through the NBL's playing ranks are black, yet how few administrators, coaches, etc. are black - without getting defensive and lashing out. That type of response is not helpful.

Kavossy Franklin didn't hold much back when he commented:
Calvin Bruton I can honestly and sincerely say brothers like yourself, Rodney Warren Overby CJ Bruton kevin brooks Darnell Mee etc, etc got me thru it all bro. The racism there is real but most know how to hide it well but its definitely clear that it's there. And the ones that's saying it's not is the very ones that's racist and they dont even know it. I fought hard just to be myself and myself only and always got hated for it. By the players and coaches and more. I always said you can do whatever you want but one thing you cant do and will not do is "BREAK ME".... And you know what I mean when I say that. Most wont agree because they've never experienced it.... I loved Aus and still do. I love all the people that KNOW ME and love me.

Reply #809549 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Few people have done as much for Basketball in this country, as Cal Bruton. So I feel he has earned the right to speak his mind.

And frankly, I think he does raise an important question.

For me, there are a couple of aspects:
Firstly the lack of Indigenous participation in Australian Basketball.
Now its been a long-time since I was involved, in any way, so maybe things have changed. Perhaps the Sudanese kids have forced a few doors open?

And then Cal does ask a very pertinent question: We've seen many great imports come through the NBL over the past 40 years. Quite a few stayed around and made Australia their home.
The majority of those players were Black, that's just a numerical fact.
Yet how many of those have developed into Senior coaches or GMs???

I'm not saying it IS racism. Only that it's a question worth asking.
Maybe it's a different mindset amongst Black players? A generally poorer standard of education, or even a lack of confidence to pursue a coaching career??

I'm the first one to say that we should leave American problems in America, and for the Americans to sort out.
But when these guys come and live in Australia, they become our responsibility. Leaving those problems in America, means saying that we don't have them in Australia and/or that we address them here on our own terms.

Reply #809551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re the "colour" of imports many clubs in the 70/80's often only had 1 or 2 contacts in the US from which to get players so recruitment of imports is more related to the netwrok of trusted people in the US than any direct racism in recruiting

The old saying re "Pacific Shrink" was a real problem so you really needed to trust the scouts or the 6"6 centre was a 6'1 guard!

Its not like they had Youtube to scout so it was old VHS and trusted coaches/agents as opposed to now when its easier to scout and cast the new wider for the best talent (regardless of color!)

Reply #809553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No hate, just asking the question. How has Cal Bruton positively contributed to the game in the last 20 years?

My last memory of him is running the Canberra Cannons like a circus.

Reply #809554 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

My last memory of Cal is him threatening to fight me via PM on a forum just because I ripped CJ in a post for flopping. Absolute knob.

Reply #809556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd rather our finals compete with the start of the footy codes regular season than have our start compete with their finals. Smart move

Reply #809561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cal run the joint like a circus is the nicest thing you could say about his time running Canberra.

Was a great player but certain not a candidate for Mensa
*(Cal will be madly googling "Mensa"!)

Reply #809563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Bruton 3 import Canberra rule still didn't help them. Dave Thomas comes to mind a great player.

Reply #809571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"My last memory of him is running the Canberra Cannons like a circus" Go and do some research, it's pretty easy nowadays. Try Bruton Basketball for starters.

Reply #809576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats his coaching record?

Reply #809595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So I googled Bruton Basketball. The only hit was a facebook page which lacks any meaningful content and is pretty much Bruton hype.

If I had to guess though, it would be some kind of coaching service/camp, which he likely gets grants from the government to conduct.

So....what has he done that's meaningful again?

Reply #809597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Highly successful African American player makes observation about comparative lack of meaningful opportunities in basketball for African Americans.
Random poster completely unironically asks what the guy has done lately in basketball that is meaningful.
Self ownage doesn't get much faster and cleaner than that. What a moron.

Reply #809603 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Without guys like Cal, we wouldn't have an NBL.

Reply #809607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great player Cal was.

Like after basketball for him has been all piss and wind though. No substance.

Reply #809609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Winning coach for Perth and then pfffft.... Gorn Still a chip on his shoulder since the, Allan Black similarly I recall?

Reply #809610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Slap in the face for the Tassie franchise. It was always going to happen. 22/23 it seems now assuming Kestleman still exists then and the NBL.

Reply #809611 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

...what?

Reply #809612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ask anyone who has done business with him or involved in any businesses w him and you will get your character reference.

Reply #809649 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

WTF are you talking about?

Reply #809650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the nbl is starting in December is what I get from this thread.

Reply #809652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another crap thread.
Cal Bruton was relevant years ago bu tf is insignificant now.

Reply #809664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are so out of touch with the real world KR. Stick to your Covid crap and let the rest of the NBL world continue. Kestleman's the problem. However you nkow nothing.

Reply #809667 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

So your claims is that the delay to this season is bad for the Tasmanian team and anyone who can't understand that is an idiot?

I don't even know how to respond to that. It's too dumb to even come up with an argument for.

Reply #809668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#667 likes to speak in riddles that makes it sound like he's knows what he's talking about.

Reply #809676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It really doesn't make him sound like that. maybe someone should tell him. it makes him sounds like the type of person who tries to burn down 5G towers.
December is a very annoying late start date but I guess with the covid containment fail they had no choice but to go the latest possible date. now we all need to hope everyone can follow basic rules because a season with no fans or very little fans would set the league back a lot of years.

Reply #809683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Western Australians should have crowds.
We are a bit smarter than Victorians and won't spread the virus.

Reply #809686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The biggest advantage WA had with this was that no one wants to visit WA so hardly any Covid ever got there. Sometimes it pays off to be boring and unpopular.

Reply #809687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Worst attempt at a troll ever

Reply #809688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Na he's right. The entire Sydney team refused to visit Perth for game four of the finals.

Reply #809691 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's not even about refusing to visit, Sydney and Melbourne have a lot of people going through even if that isn't their actual destination. They were always going to have a harder time of it.

Reply #809700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney and Melbourne also have well over five million people cramped on top of one another, hard to control epidemic in those circumstances. Politicians telling everyone to get on with it was poor advice before it was controlled.

Reply #809701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cool let's wait till it’s 1000 % controlled and 5 million people are out of a job, no one can afford their mortgage and the economy dies. Brilliant. There has to be a tipping point. But the reality is the community need to do as they are told. Follow the rules, apply good hygiene, apply social distancing. If they don’t we will never kick it.

Reply #809703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should we all stay in lockdown until covid19 goes away.

Reply #809704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's impossible to control it 1000%, by definition 100% is the most you can do anything. Just saying.

Reply #809707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tassie in 21/22

Reply #809775 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:24 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754