RJ
Years ago

Coloured Shirt Program

Some of you may have heard on the radio or read in the paper something about a Clolured Shirt Program. An initiative of the South Australian Government and the Office for Recreation and Sport this program will commence in Term 4 and will include all mini-ball and Level "0" Saturday morning referees.

Aim/Objective of the Coloured Shirt Program

The aim of the Coloured Shirt Program is to make all beginner/inexperienced officials easily recognisable to all players and spectators with the objective being that people will identify that these officials are 'learners' and may make mistakes. It is believed (based on the SANFL 'red shirt' program) that the abuse received by inexperienced officials will be reduced and in turn this will contribute to a greater retention rate of 'inexperienced' officials, officiating at the grass roots level of the sport, decrease the level of harassment experienced by officials and increase the awareness of both athletes and spectators about the importance of respecting officials.

The onus is on all players, coaches and spectators to back off and allow these guys and girls to develop their refereeing skills without the added pressure of abuse from the sidelines.

Topic #4733 | Report this topic

FLY  
Years ago

I don't really see the point in that. That's like when you're driving, on your L and P plates the cops always pick on you more. I know it's a different concept but I still don't see why an angry spectator is going to reduce his abuse just because of a different coloured shirt.

Reply #54575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As far as I know the guys in special shirts are untouchable. That means by putting them in a different shirt everyone knows who they CAN'T talk to or abuse.

If you as a player, coach or spectator still abuse or question them expect some immediate consequences.

Reply #54587 | Report this post

AussieMj  
Years ago

The funny thing is that the colour of the new refree's shirt will make spectators stop abusing them and feel sorry for them as they are lime green!!!

Reply #54595 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Yeah, we can all join hands and stand in a circle and and sing "I can sing a rainbow". As long as everyone is happy and we have world peace how cares........

Different coloured shirts is BS. Let's get back to old fashion grading of refs. Start in low level social, if you can handle that then goto junior district, if you can handle that then goto U16/U18/U20 district and so on. Wearing a different colour shirt is garbage, you accept the job and challenge when you sign up. Learn to deal with it early when it doesn't matter in junior/school comp.

Oh Oh, he's wearing a pink colour shirt (it ain't pink, it's salmon). oh oh we can't talk to him cause of the coloured shirt....total crap. Wearing a different coloured shirt is just going to make you stand out in a crowd. Make a BS call, and 'oh, he's a JAFO, look at his shirt' Talk about exposing someone.......

Don't know what a JAFO is, watch Blue Thunder or ask someone wearing a blue shirt and drives a car with blue and red lights......

Reply #54616 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Fly, get your facts straight sunshine.. Cops don't pick on your more cause you are wearing a L or P. Cops usually pick on you (and I use the term 'pick' very loosely) because you are fanging around like a a-hole with 4 other peole in the car trying to be the next Alonso.

Try telling a mother that her son/daughter is dead because of some goose trying to be hero regardless of a P or L on the rear bumper..........

Reply #54617 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

TR, thats crap, even the regular sensible P plate drivers get picked on. Its a fact, been stated by the police that they are on extra lookout for P plate drivers doing antyhing wrong. You lose your licence for doing anything 75 or over in a 60 zone while a regular driver can get away with 120 in a 60 zone. (Get away meaning keeping their licence). Ive been pulled over 9 times while ive had P plates up, only one i was doing stuff wrong (72 in 60 zone)- when i dont put my P plates up i never get pulled over.

Reply #54637 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Doctor B- TR is closer to the mark than you are. The speed limits are law and the tolerances are lower for P Platers because thay are inexperienced drivers, despite their opinion that they could win Bathurst 2 weeks after getting the plate. BTW any driver exceeding the limit by 60 kmh automatically loses their licence, except the dickheads who steal a car, smash it up, then admit they have no licence.
Back to the thread, any move to encourage young refs should be supported and some tolerance given

Reply #54652 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Doc B, Trust me, Police have better things to do than target and waste time with P platers.

regardless of a L or a P or a full licence never believe that people are targeted. Do something stupid or become known to Police as an idiot driver then you'll get pulled everytime.....

Reply #54658 | Report this post

MM  
Years ago

Here's an idea how about the spectator's or coach's who continually abuse refs , have to wear something to show , I can't control myself and would rather sit on side lines yelling abuse.
Make them stand out.

Reply #54660 | Report this post

Misty  
Years ago

I am thinking about personally setting up a website which will have photo's of parents abusing umpires in it's Hall of Shame.
However I think that the coloured shirts are a good idea, the 'little one's' have to start somewhere and they shouldn't have to deal with the abuse at all.
The coloured shirts will highlight the fact that they are LEARNING and when some 40 year old, has been, living through his child, parent decides to abuse the learner then I would assume he will be dealt with harshly.
Spectator abuse is something that needs to be dealt with and this is a good start.
MM I don't think that labelling an abusive spectator will work as unfortunately some of them would see it as a badge of honour. The "I enjoy yelling at 14 year old children, it makes me feel big" Badge.

Reply #54666 | Report this post

MM  
Years ago

Unfortnuately your right Misty, there are some parents who forget it's just a game and believe it's a matter of life and death out there.

Reply #54678 | Report this post

Bandit  
Years ago

Hey MM

It can't be compared to "life and death" it's far more important than that!

Reply #54729 | Report this post

MM  
Years ago

Well said Bandit

Reply #54780 | Report this post

Phantom  
Years ago

BACK TO THE TOPIC AT HAND

I think the shirt thing is a GREAT idea. It will make parents think twice about having ago at jnr ref's. But at the same time who decides when they graduate to the Black and White shirts

Reply #54804 | Report this post

RJ  
Years ago

Phantom,

Black and Whites on District games will be gone by the end of the Summer Junior Season (if we can still call it that). Gradually all black and whites will be replaced with grey shirts.

Once a Level 0 Progresses to Level 1 they will have the option of moving onto the grey shirt. If they and/or their UIC do not feel ready to move on then they may choose to remain in green until they feel ready to take the next step.

Reply #54808 | Report this post

Grog Bog  
Years ago

This concept was trialled nearly 20 years ago with a squad of referees taken under the helm of John Beames. He set up the "Elastoplast junior referees squad" and they were made to wear teal blue shirts. How do I know? - I was one of those referees and it has taken nearly all of that time to lose the stigma involved with parading these shirts around. Some of these blokes actually went on to become successful refs believe it or not.

Reply #54812 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

The difference with elastoplast squad was that the blue shirt was suppose to represent the fact you were part of a junior referees program and that meant you had been identified as someone with potential. This program was followed with Howard's 36ers Junior Referees Squad (Grey Shirts).
I thought I learnt a lot from both programs and the most important thing was it made the senior referees know who was interested in developing their refereeing compared to those who were just in the game for the cash.

The problem with identifying referees is that you normally partner them up with experienced or other program referees and we only tended to referee Div 1 games. I never really had that much trouble with Div 1 games, more problems tended to come from lower grades. I can remember the good comments that use to come out though 'Wait till I speak to beamsy about this' or 'What did Howard see in this kid'.

The problems that exist with officiating now comes down to the gaps that have been left. 15 - 20 years ago we had 2 programs for our junior referees, but I am not sure how long it has been since SA had any other junior referee programs. As a junior ref I had the gnome, batty, caroline, ET, Robin, Weeksy and greg who would come out every week to offer great mentorship and guidance. Who does this job now?

Reply #55366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i know of 2 kids who have taken up umpiring,and because of the green shirts have decided to continue.the abuse they had to put up with last season was disgracful.they are trying to do their best,but with the shortage of refs they are asked to do 4 games in a row.if they get abused this season they wont wait for the parents to get kicked out, they will walk out mid game themselves.its pathetic for parents to abuse young refs .

Reply #55458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one likes to admit that they are part of the cause of the problem.

I know I don't perform any better when I'm critised at work - why would teenagers react any better than professionals?

The shirts are a change - give it time and assess the pros/cons later.

As for mentors - Filmer/Wieland/McDonald to name a few who are regularly seen involved in Juniors.

Reply #55474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the green shirt on a whole are a sensational idea

in the limited time i have seen green shirters in action my only comment would be umps in charge or trainer etc need to emphasise the need to RUN up and down the floor and get into good early position, surelt that is a skill that can be picked up early without a lot of thought required and as a past ref certainly helps the rest of your refereeing

Reply #60592 | Report this post

Misty  
Years ago

Another bonus of the green shirts are that you can tell the difference between the learners and the lazy refs...

Reply #61441 | Report this post

Rhys the ref  
Years ago

I am a umpire myself and i started bout 4 years ago and the abuse back then was terrible it didnt matter wat u called most of the time u would get abused by either team it just seemed like parents went out there to abuse refs no matter how old. but since the coloured shirts i have noticed a dramatic change with parents and coachs and their abuse. as i am a experienced and confident ref i wear black and white and i would of loved to have the coloured shirts in when i started because i took some much abuse which made me unhappy to ref and lose of respect for alot of the different basketball clubs in SA. But the sad thing to see was the past saturday when i went out to help umpire on a saturday morning 1 of the first things i saw was a coach screaming at a coloured shirt ref just because she had made a little mistake which wouldnt of even impacted the game results at all. i think there should be a punishment system for those parents coachs and even players who continully abuse coloured shirt refs.

Reply #62259 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Make the coaches wear a coloured shirt too?

Reply #62260 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:29 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754