Anonymous
Years ago

Dejan Vasiljevic signs with the Sydney Kings

As reported by Olgun Uluc.

Huge get, wouldn't be suprised if he averages closed to 20 ppg as a rookie.

Topic #47372 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can shoot the rock and his game is suited to the NBL, but average 20? This dude put up 13 a game as a senior at Miami. Not happening.

Reply #810644 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

As a multi year deal could see him starting straight away. So 15ppg or more is possible.

Reply #810645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His defence is going to need to improve a lot, a lot of the guys coming out college struggle defensively, certainly early in the nbl.. kings certainly building a younger squad though.

Reply #810646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney Kings-Weaver
5'10 C.Ware(I)/6’3 A.Bruce
6’3 D.Vasljevic/6’4 A.Glover
6’5 D.Louzada(NS)/6’7 B.Newley
6’4 J.Tate(I)/6’8 C.Moller/6’10 D.Kickett
6’8 X.Cooks/6’10 J.Hunter

Reply #810651 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

A huge get for Sydney and the league.

Has a great bball resume coming thru the junior ranks and then really adapted well to the role he had at Miami.

I think you will see him do a lot more in the NBL then at college where he was purely a spot up shooter.

Athletic level is definitely higher at the Major D1 levels which didn't suit his game.

He may play a bit of PG which he has done well at the international level.

I look at a lot of the younger aussie talent that has done well in the NBL and Dejan has probably out performed them at the junior level so will now see how he translates his game going forward.

Reply #810653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to hear of a young solid contributer. Lets not have Ware or Kickett back please.

Reply #810654 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

How about
Import/ Bruce
Vasilijevic/ Glover
Moller/ Newley
Cooks/ Kickert?
Mathiang or import/ Hunter.

Would they really want Casper back.
If Louzada returns then he start at SF backed up by Newley and Moller plays backup 4.
Kickert could play backup 4 and 5.
If Mathiang or another big name local doesn't sign use that spot on an import.

Reply #810656 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Moller would get time at both forward spots.

Reply #810657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings looking like a good roster, should make finals, Perth and NZ looking better at present and United very quiet.

Reply #810660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

possible 3 Senior College players in the nbl next season

Jack White United or SEM
Kryin Galloway Breakers
Dejan Vasijevic Kings

Any more news

Reply #810665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Peatling as dp somewhere.

White also Perth, cairns, hawks

Reply #810667 | Report this post

SourBroker  
Years ago

The rumours of Smith tightening the purse were way off....

Reply #810669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not a bad senior class 4 or more in the nbl

Reply #810671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Kickert would be great for everyone

Reply #810672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Krebs possibly united

Reply #810673 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

It's weird, I was looking at this guys yesterday, almost bumped an old thread. Was going to ask "is this guy a chance for an NBL spot?"
Well I guess that answers that! LOL

Nice to see young turks coming home and getting contracts.
Honestly, my gut says predictions of him starting and getting 20ppg are probably off, but hopefully he adapts quickly.

Reply #810675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The rumours of Smith tightening the purse were way off....

Love it!
People want to deny that Sydney spent big last year,
deny that Sydney are spending less,
but will still deny they are spending big

> By default, everyone without a new contract gets a pay cut.
> Bogut, whatever your delusions, was on massive coin for the NBL.
> Ware also was on massive coin
> Even Lisch, pre cut, would have been on reasonable money.
> College grads don't get huge salaries, nomatter how awesome Hoops posters think they are

Reply #810677 | Report this post

Sourbroker  
Years ago

Glovers deal is 'big'. Three years. Really hope he spurns them. It’s the 90’s all over again for the hawks.

Reply #810680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Krebs has signed but isn't saying where yet.

Reply #810682 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Overtime "LIVE" just "broke the rumour" of Vasiljevic signing with the Kings!
Did they pre-record this yesterday?

Reply #810686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Glover would be better staying at hawks now and let me tell you it's less than the hawks offer. Kings rebuilding and as previously stated guys straight out college and young guys don’t get big money.

Reply #810687 | Report this post

Sourbroker  
Years ago

It's not less.

Reply #810691 | Report this post

Sourbroker  
Years ago

How are the kings rebuilding? They could potentially bring back everyone other than Lisch - who they've covered for, and some.

Reply #810692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sour broker, you got no idea. Bogut gone lisch gone, Newley is old but the rest side under thirty if Kickett doesn't come back.

Reply #810693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dejan effectively replaces Lisch and Cooks was cheap last year as they backloaded his deal for this year.

Glover going would be a mistake with Goorjian coming in. Expecting something like

Import/Bruce
Didi/Dejan
Newley/Moller
Cooks/Walker or local
Import/Kickert/Hunter

Reply #810697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

5'10 C.Ware(I)/6’3 A.Bruce
6’5 D.Louzada(NS)/6’3 D.Vasljevic/6’4 A.Glover
6’4 J.Tate(I)/6’7 B.Newley
6’8 X.Cooks/6’8 C.Moller
6’10 M.Mathiang/6’10 J.Hunter

Reply #810700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tate can't defend the three spot, I’m aghast at some of the opinions around here. I know one thing is that Tate and Cooks are glad Kay is in Spain.

Reply #810701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tate can't defend the 3 spot? I’m not sure what you watched all last season.

Reply #810702 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

First of all, he couldn't sign as it is not allowed. Second, the article says 'agreed in principle' which can go both ways.

I think the only reason he came back is due to uncertainty in Europe/NBA, so I don't think we will see him after first year if he signs formally.

Reply #810720 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

First of all, he couldn't sign as it is not allowed.
Huh?

Reply #810721 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

Can't sign before July 15th, in case you didn't know.

Reply #810722 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Untrue.

Reply #810723 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

You wanna bet?

Reply #810724 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The free agency date applies to players with other NBL teams, not to all players everywhere. SEM signed Creek during the 2018/19 season, for example.

Reply #810726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can sign anyone anytime if they don't have a contract.

Reply #810727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

but can it be announced

Reply #810728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Off course it can, you are a free agent.

Reply #810731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so are u say Isaac Humphries signing with 36ers is a rumour

Reply #810733 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

KR, obviously we are not on the same page - I'm not talking about the rule book, I'm talking about the discussions and what has been agreed in principle. My 'sources' tell me that this info was leaked from the NBL office since the Kings sent a draft of the contract for clearance a few days ago. There are still a few things to iron out but it has not been fully agreed or signed. If all agreed it will be signed on or after the 15th, that's what I was told. Take it or leave it :) Too bad you didn't want to take the bet.

Reply #810734 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If it's an incomplete draft that hasn't been signed, why is it going to the NBL at all?

Reply #810736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Alpha someone is telling you porkies, maybe Dejan S people are leaking this so he gets a bartering war going. Don't believe anything till it’s official.

Reply #810740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the rumours are correct I think Vasiljevic & Glover are good signings for the Kings
Vasiljevic will probably play 2 / 1 & Glover anywhere from 1 / 3 but prominently 2
If Didi doesn't come back I think Glover will start ahead of Vasiljevic in the 2 as he is more athletic & a better defender
Still a lot depends on whether Bogut comes back in whether they get a import 3,4 or 5
Kickert is still a good back up in 4 so if Bogut & Didi don’t come back I think the team looks like this

Import/ Bruce
Glover/Vasiljevic
Newley/Moller
Cooks/Kickert
Import/Hunter

Reply #810741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut is not coming back

Reply #810742 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Ppl talking about Glover like he's the next Moller... :P

Reply #810744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's a good thing.

Reply #810746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If all agreed it will be signed on or after the 15th"

If they agree to it tomorrow, why would they wait until the 15th to sign? That makes no sense.

Reply #810747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Import. Bruce
Glover. Vasiljevic
Didi. Newley
Moller. ?
Cooks. Hunter.
Don't think Moller would’ve resigned if he was going to be used like the finals series.
Good squad and lot more youthful. Only two players over 25.

Reply #810750 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

"If they agree to it tomorrow, why would they wait until the 15th to sign? That makes no sense."

Obviously you haven't done much of negotiations - you can agree anything in principle but only when you sign it, it becomes binding (some would say verbal agreement is as good). For whatever reason my understanding is this will not be signed before, and they are still in negotiations. Also the contract needs to be cleared by the league too. Hypothetically MU decides to come to the board and offers DJ more money today, he can accept that deal without any ramifications.

Reply #810752 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

"If the rumours are correct I think Vasiljevic & Glover are good signings for the Kings Vasiljevic will probably play 2 / 1 & Glover anywhere from 1 / 3 but prominently 2
If Didi doesn't come back I think Glover will start ahead of Vasiljevic in the 2 as he is more athletic & a better defender"

For Weaver's style of play, Vasiljevic is a better fit+better shooter and will start. It also depends on imports. Will wait to see about defensive ability, but someone who spent 4 years chasing extreme athletes in ACC will definitely be up to the challenge in NBL.

Reply #810753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way is Vasiljevic a better player to suit Weavers style, Weaver wants players getting to the rack for lay ups, not a strong point for Vasiljevic. Alpha you seem to have be very confused, get out before you get further behind.

Reply #810754 | Report this post

Sauce  
Years ago

Alpha = Full of Shit

First of all, he couldn't sign as it is not allowed.
Can't sign before July 15th, in case you didn't know.
You wanna bet?

I'll happily take the bet

Reply #810755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Obviously you haven't done much of negotiations - you can agree anything in principle but only when you sign it, it becomes binding"

That isn't what you're saying though. You've gone from saying he isn't allowed to sign until the 15th, to even if they agree to terms they will just sign on the 15th for the hell of it. Now you're saying negotiations are still ongoing, which sounds like its the most likely case, but you had a few bites at the cherry to get to that point.

Reply #810756 | Report this post

maxymoo  
Years ago

I hate having to agree with KR ....

Reply #810758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Alpha thinks he's getting more money for his mate, relative by trying to create a bidding war. This is hoops man only tragic die yards read this, certainly not anyone in negotiations with players or clubs. Lmao.

Reply #810759 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Glover has a great playing future ahead of him but wouldn't start him over Vasilijevic.
Down the track Vasilijevic will likely go to Europe and Glover will be a starter maybe.

Reply #810760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Glover has already played against men, DJ hasn't proved that yet, college is a lot different to professional basketball.

Glover would be smarter staying at the hawks and getting more time.

Reply #810761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watching Dejan in college, I think he will actaully be more dangerous in an offensive system where there is more movement / continuity. The Miami offence revolved around their Point Guard going 1:1 with whoever happened to be guarding in with 10sec left on the shot clock.

Reply #810901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am hearing intersting times ahead for the Kings. Maybe things will change and Bogut will play. But that's subject to a few things to fall in place yet.

Reply #810913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That read like a horoscope.

Reply #810914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut living on the Gold Coast, can't see that happening.

Reply #810916 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

"That isn't what you're saying though. You've gone from saying he isn't allowed to sign until the 15th, to even if they agree to terms they will just sign on the 15th for the hell of it. Now you're saying negotiations are still ongoing, which sounds like its the most likely case, but you had a few bites at the cherry to get to that point."

Well, the topic states that he signed, doesn't it, but he didn't. I'll have to go back to correspondence with my "source" to clarify why and who told him to hold on till the 15th. Whether he was dragging his feet waiting for United to come knocking is everyone's guess :) but certainly has nothing to do with the free agency.

The other anon, in the up-tempo game the preference is on transition 3s not taking it to the rack, ask Weaver what his preference is. Vasiljevic was I believe second in NCAA in this category two years in a row (attempts/makes). You want points, you must have a shooter/spacer on the floor, the more the better. With Glover they need to protect the lane, with Vasiljevic they won't know what to protect.

"Glover has already played against men, DJ hasn't proved that yet, college is a lot different to professional basketball."

Won't comment on men vs boys, a futile argument - just for the sake of argument, which of these two played against lottery picks every year? Every lottery pick that came out of ACC is by far better than any man in NBL (bar imports). How many they were in the past 4 years? Didn't Glover play behind Melo last year and Melo was 18!? There is another topic debating whether NBL1 teams would beat college teams - most likely all mid majors, not sure about high majors, some great talent at that level.

Personally I think Vasiljevic was underutilized in college, he is extremely good ball handler, a passer and a rebounder but was in a wrong system. It is my understanding that Sydney has gone in lengths to get him, which means they made some concessions and have a plan. If they want to retain him, they will make sure that the plan works.

Btw, I get paid to be full of shit :)

Reply #810944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

full of shit :)

That's the only bit of truth in all you said.

Reply #810950 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:20 am, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754