D2.0
Years ago

When will Cotton Naturalise?

Obviously this is a huge question for Perth fans, but could also be an issue for the Boomers.

There is some interesting general information here:
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/citizenship/citizenship-processing-times

Given he has an Australian spouse and child, my basic understanding is that Citizenship should be relatively straight-forward. But obviously there is a massive bottleneck of applications. 126,294 applications on hand as at 31 May, with 75% of applications taking upto 18 months for approval.

Now it also says that from approval to ceremony can take another 8 months, but I figure The Lord Mayor of Perth is already on standby.

From day one, the Cats have been very vague about the timeliness of this, publicly saying "oh well when it happens it happens," and recently there has been almost no mention.

But lets get real. Rightly or wrongly you've got to figure they know people who know people. Everything I heard says that whilst his body is showing its age, Dr Jack's mind is razor sharp, and you can bet he has more than a few influential people on speed-dial...

Naturally, had Cotton naturalised in a few months, there would have been talk and umbrage, but it's coming up on a year. Any point from now on would seem "reasonable" and within the expected parameters.

Topic #47381 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

When he naturalises

Reply #811137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He can play as an Aussie for boomers but not for Perth

Reply #811138 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

He wouldn't get a game for the Boomers.

Reply #811140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My personal experience with visa and citizenship applications in Australia is that you just don't know. It’s slow and expensive, even if the case is straightforward.
Not sure basketball administrators have any pull with immigration. Maybe with the council to get a seat at the ceremony though.

Reply #811141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no Lord Mayor of Perth currently.

Reply #811142 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

"He wouldn't get a game for the boomers"

Lmfao.

Reply #811144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's mills backup.

Reply #811146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He can carry Mills' bags.

Reply #811147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The afl got a couple of mates au pairs in with a quick phone call to Dutton, surely a quick phone call can solve all this. Maybe he doesn't fit the Dutton type that should be let in though.

Reply #811149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He can be Mills' au pair, then.

Reply #811151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is he guarding internationally? Guys a liability in the NBL. Not getting a walk up gig at boomers

Reply #811152 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Takes about a year as mentioned several times before in other threads.

Also not sure why Perth lord mayor keeps getting mentioned. Every council runs citizenship ceremonies so it can be used to your advantage to be part of one sooner.

Reply #811154 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I figure The Lord Mayor of Perth is already on standby.
Research really isn't your strong suit, huh?

Reply #811156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton would average a 27 and 9 in boomers

Reply #811162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers needs scorers other than Mills.

Reply #811163 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Has he skulled a yard glass of West End yet?

Reply #811164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's just not at the international level. Imagine him lining up against Rubio. Get ripped apart. No defence, and too short.

Reply #811165 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Cotton is due to be naturalized on Australia day 2021.

Reply #811166 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

A, it was joke, meaning that I'm sure waiting for a ceremony would not be an issue.
And B, I assumed they would have found a new one by now? Last I heard Baz was going to run? I'm sure he'd be happy to help out.
But no, local government politics are about as interesting as watching an ant-farm with one ant.

Reply #811168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is Cotton a liability on defence?

Reply #811172 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Im hopeful Baz doesn't become lord mayor or Perth. But even still, what difference does it make who the mayor is regarding Cotton's citizenship?

Reply #811175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who can he guard internationally? Rubio

Reply #811181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet he's the best player in the Nbl but can't hack it internationally. He's not going to be focus of team but considering the team Lemanis put together for world champs he's not the worst player. At least he won't have to join Brisbane to be a chance to be a boomer.

Reply #811185 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

Despite my missus being from the same city as Le Bron, it still took years for the whole permanent residency and citizenship thing to happen. Then again, her jump shot and post play is bloody terrible.

Reply #811186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton to replace Simmons! (Simmons wont play anyway)

Reply #811187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons / Dellavedova or Exum
Mills / Cotton / Thybulle
Ingles / Broekhoff
Landale / Kay / Maker or Bolden or Magnay
Baynes / Bogut or ?(hard to tell)

Reply #811188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton is back up to mills and is a jack it up spark plug only.
He won't play big minutes and certainly can't defend anyone so not sure why the rush when he simply might not even make the team.

Reply #811191 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Cotton is obviously terrible at defence, because Perf is the worst defensive team in the league and Trev, besides being a flog, hates defence. Cotton only won a championship, MVP, and finals MVP, because people like his Mom Vonnie.

He will never get a Boomers singlet because studs like Sobey, Cadee, and Gliddon are much better options.

Reply #811285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This sentence of pointlessness applies equally to Steindl
"Cotton is obviously terrible at defence, because Perf is the worst defensive team in the league and Trev, besides being a flog, hates defence."
So you must think Steindl is also a Boomers level defender.

"Cotton only won a championship, MVP, and finals MVP"
Yes Jerome Randle, Gary Ervin, Corey Williams, Rotnei Clarke, Brian Wethers and Andrew Gaze were all elite defenders too as proven by their MVP awards.

"He will never get a Boomers singlet because studs like Sobey, Cadee, and Gliddon are much better options."
None of those 3 are his competition for Tokyo.

That was an even bigger strikeout than your usual mindless waffle Dazz

Reply #811307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why are people suggesting that Cotton can't or doesn't play defence? It's just untrue.

Reply #811309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trolls dude, ignore them.

Reply #811311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gus I know the rules have changed a lot since your Missus naturalised. It's always been something that no one can predict. BA used to be able to get thinngs done relatively easily but not sure the same thing applies to the NBL currently.

Reply #811343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He won't naturalise before this season. He would be lucky to naturalise by the start of next season. Wait in line like anyone else buddy.

Get your hands off it Perf fans

Reply #811453 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I'm not sure that Cotton is tall enough to be a wise choice for Olympics - already have Mills who barely scrapes 6ft.

Goulding as a 10th man was tall and strong enough to handle the euro defences

Australia has a well built side, with decent height and physicality to handle euro sides. The two aspects they missed in WC was a sharpshooter (Broekhoff) and lengthy athleticism for handling African sides (Bolden and Simmons)

Reply #811456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one is asking for his citizenship to be fast tracked. People are just speculating in what Perth's options are depending on when it comes through.

Reply #811458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha Bolden

Reply #811460 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Cotton should be a lock I think. Goulding was way more solid than I expected at the World Cup, but if we'd had Cotton at the World Cup would have made all the difference, especially when fatigue kicked in during those last couple of games.

Reply #811464 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:12 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754