Aussie
Years ago

Glover to Kings, Dech to Melbourne club

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6830172/kings-swoop-on-glover-in-latest-poaching-raid/

Topic #47386 | Report this topic

LoveBroker  
Years ago

The article suggests that Xavier Cooks was poached from Illawarra, is that right?

The article also states the Hawks are getting a High Performance Coach, that is akin to putting in 98 Petrol into a Hyundai Excel.

Reply #811236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Illawarra developed him - which they did through their junior program - with the obvious view of him progressing to the nbl then yep, that clarified as poaching.

To the sane anyways.

Reply #811238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats not poaching. He may have played his juniors there, but then went overseas for college, NBA tryouts and euro gigs, and then the Kings made him an offer. He had no professional ties to the Hawks.

Reply #811239 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

I can understand the Dech hype to an extent.
Glover not so much it's not like when Kay and Norton went to Perth.

Reply #811240 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting that anyone would claim 'poaching' in a professional competition.

The whole idea of Free Agency is to allow a mechanism for clubs/players to move.

By going into administration, the Hawks really only have themselves to blame for the contracts being voided.

TBH, not sure the Hawks looked like an attractive option for Cooks when he arrived back to Australia.

Reply #811243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Dech was good but one reasonable season doesn't make him a star. United or Sixers I’m hearing. Dech born 1/1/94 so still youngish but no junior

Glover to Sydney is probably good for both parties.

Reply #811245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dech gonna get over paid and turn into a below average NBL player

Reply #811247 | Report this post

Cats Fan  
Years ago

'Latest Poaching Raid'... jog on Illawarra.

Reply #811248 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I do recognise that Sydney have a previous record of signing / poaching / taking Illawarra players.

Glen Saville.
Justin Withers.
Hubbard ( I forgot his first name).

Reply #811255 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The Kings win the Angus Glover sweepstakes!

Moller, now Glover the world is their oyster.

Reply #811256 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Greg Hubbard

Reply #811258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's the Illawarra Mercury for you. Controversial headlines to get clicks. Still sulking at Lamelo not being awarded the license.

Xavier wasn't poached. Kings offered a better deal, and a better chance at winning last season.

Hawks wanted Glover, but Kings offer and situation seems to have suited him better.

Reply #811259 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Greg Hubbard that's right. Kept thinking Ron Hubbard for some reason.

Reply #811260 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I really hope this will be a break out season for Glover. 3 ACL injuries must be tough for a young professional. Felt sorry for him hearing the last 2.

He deserves a good injury free year.

Reply #811263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tim Morrissey

Reply #811269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings looking good on there budget signings, Hunter, Moller, Bruce, Glover, if Didi comes back another freebie. Newley and Cooks won't be on top coin either, leaves good money for a point guard and five man.

Reply #811271 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Cooks won't be on top coin???

Reply #811277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cooks wasn't that great and was coming off long injury when he signed with the kings, obviously didn’t get any offers there for next season so stayed a king.

Reply #811280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you the same numpty that thinks 37% from deep is poor? To suggest Cooks didn't have offers from Europe is ridiculous. Get educated.

Reply #811281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cooks wouldn't be playing for the kings after saying he was looking elsewhere when his wage is going to be cut by 40%. No other offers.

Nick Kay had plenty of offers to make his decision and he’d be earning a lot more money in the nbl or Europe than Cooks.

Maybe you should hand your education back because it’s not good.

Reply #811286 | Report this post

The Contractor  
Years ago

Cooks couldn't sign with another NBL team after opting out. It was overseas or Kings.

His situation is probably similar to that of Bryce Cotton, opt out of contract that would have seen a Covid pay cut then renegotiate higher to still get paid.

Anon, you’re the one that needs educated.

Reply #811292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the Hawks this past season they had to have players play more minutes than they should have. Glover will fall victim to the Kings curse, Dech will be the most overpaid 9th man in the league and Ball will be another bust with the Knicks.

Reply #811306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cooks could not get job overseas so decided to take a 40% pay cut and stay in Australia. Kay left and Cotton resigned for an extra two years after his existing contract finishes on massive money. Cooks contract wasn't extended like Cotton.

Reply #811315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sadly, I fear that's what will happen with Gus... He'll get 10 or so mins, playing as a back up, back up guard & Sunday will earn some coin, but struggle to consistently make the offensive contributions to warrant a starting spot anywhere else.

Reply #811319 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Dech doesn't look 6’5 to me either. I wouldn’t want him playing the 3 for the Sixers. Having said that, I’d be quite happy to see him replace Dillon in the lineup. Use him at the 2 with Teys and give Giddey and Mudronja more opportunities at the point.

Reply #811329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure what u guys are watching but Dech is at least 6'3-6’4.

Reply #811330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mudronja more opportunities at the point. Can you spell wooden spoon lol

Reply #811331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've stood next to Sunday on a few occasions, I’m 6’1 and I’d gauge he’s no taller than 6’2. Not that it matters.

Reply #811392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course it matters. 6'5" or 6'2". I guess you don't play basketball either. It doesn't matter.

Reply #811393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dech looked ok in spots but might devleop into a role player.

Its scary we are hyping guys fro the Hawks when that roster would have been lucky to make the NBL1 finals.

Reply #811398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#398 now you're just talking rubbish.

Reply #811399 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I do not know Dech's height but what I saw last season was, he is a capable defender and he can hit the 3 (33%) if you sag off him.

No he cannot create his own shots yet, but he is a prospect worth taking a chance on.

Reply #811404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dech looked very average most of the time. Corrected for accuracy.

Reply #811414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's shown improvement each year he's played. Not sure what more you'd expect from him in mostly limited minutes

Reply #811417 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:21 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754