AngusH
Years ago

Madgen retiring

According to NBL on FB. But surprised by it, his shot fell off a cliff for a large stretch of last season but I think he still had something to give as a bench spark plug at worst. Thought Sydney might sign him

Topic #47387 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

That is a bit surprising I thought he might have one maybe two years left in him as a veteran presence off the bench. I was thinking going back to the Kings or even the Hawks might have suited him.

Reply #811264 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Might have come down to what's best for him and his family, could earn more in regular job than an NBL bench contract.

Reply #811266 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

If true, thank you Ben Madgen for a great NBL and international career.

All the best in the future.

I really enjoyed Ben's breakout year in Sydney, and I dislike the Kings.

Reply #811267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great player but last season showed he was past it.

Reply #811268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know what he's going to do now? He still could’ve got an above average wage for an Aussie for 1-2 years playing hoops.

Reply #811270 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He said in the press release his son has Autism and the constant moving around each year was difficult for his treatment and taking it's toll so can understand why he wasn't keen to move again for what might only be one more year of basketball.

Reply #811272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair enough. Despite the flack he got I always loved the intensity he played with. True professional

Reply #811275 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I don't know where his wife is from, but I guess with his siblings there's a bit of family in Melbourne. Maybe they've decided to make that their home and just can't be bothered moving again?

I honestly thought somebody was going to pick him up.
It's going to be interesting to see where players land once FA starts. Does this indicate there wasn't much love out there for Ben? As a bench option? Which indicates coaches must be happy enough with their other options?

Reply #811279 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Mentioned he has a son with autism and would like to spend more time at home.

Congratulations and good luck to him.

Reply #811289 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Oops, missed Zodiac's post.

Reply #811290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Family and little money for role/bench guys makes it difficult for guys with young families to make a living and even harder for those with children with special needs

Reply #811366 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

From his social feed, he seems to be in Sydney (where he met his wife, when playing here) so I guess that with all the time she has spent raising a family overseas, it was good to come back to where she can have some of her family supporting her as well...

Disappointing to see him hang up his boots, but as he said in his post, he's had a great journey and the game has taken him all around the world and it's time for him to (gladly) spend some time being more hands on with his family...

Was always one of my favourite Kings players, from being signed but not guaranteed a spot, but working super hard to not only make the team, but start and by the time he was done, earn a bench spot on the all-time Kings team as voted by the fans... Was always a great person off the court and always had to be dragged away from the post-game fans catch ups, which is unlike a lot of the recent players, very few of which who didn't look disinterested...

All the best to him and his family...

Reply #811379 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'm always gonna look back at Ben Madgen's career and think 'he wasn't the most naturally gifted player but through his desire, hard work and (as anon said) intensity, he crafted out an amazing career. Shame he didn't return to the Kings as it would have been awesome seeing his jersey get retired.

All the best Ben

Reply #811445 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:43 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754