- Kuany Kuany 1 year deal
- David Barlow 1 year deal
- Jack White multi year deal
- Mason Peatling (DP) multi year deal

Melbourne are also expected to announce the release of Casey Prather

Topic #47396 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

That side way weaker than there premiership team.

Reply #811508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder what centre the Cats are working on recruiting. I assumed Brandt would always return to Perth. Maybe some bad blood there when he left.

Reply #811509 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Goulding for three years if the OP is accurate is a bit of a surprise I thought he would go to Tasmania.
Brandt is a good signing.
Prather is cooked anyway and Jack White is also a great signing.

Reply #811510 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Damn I was hoping Brandt would come back to Perth too

Reply #811512 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Reath? The list of local centres is fading for Perth.

Reply #811513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is this from United facebook

Reply #811514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't Brandt say there was not enough coin in the NBL for him to play here this season?

Reply #811515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe that if you sign an nbl contract your seasons pay is guaranteed even if you play in empty stadiums and that's part the reason that wages were cut but euro league clubs are only paying one month then on reduced salaries for two months and nothing after if covid stops their seasons.

Some players will want to take risk in Europe and others back the nbl.

Reply #811516 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I assumed Prather was going to be released after a new poster started hyping him up on here big time last week.

Reply #811517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which Kuany Kuany? The one who has previously played NBL in Cairns/Sydney or the college one?

Reply #811518 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Peatling I believe is a good pickup. Once again great to see young Aussies joining the NBL, plus from the little I have read he's had some good performances in college.

Brandt, s discussed elsewhere, is a valuable commodity in the NBL.
And yeah, I'd say there's every possibility he was unhappy with the way things finished in Perth, and if the offers were otherwise similar that could be a factor. MU are good team, and look like being very competitive next season.

Vicko was pretty honest when discussing Prather, and his inability to last a full season. With two import slots, its a bit of a risk.

Reply #811525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What was Brandt unhappy with? The last interview I heard with him early this year stated the opposite - said he loved it and simply wanted to test himself in Europe.

Reply #811526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McCarron finally going to be the staring pg?

Reply #811528 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Goulding on 3?

Big commitment from both

Reply #811544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone decided to start spreading stories that Gleeson wanted Brandt to become a backup centre to a new import. Considering he'd been the starting centre on a championship team, and the Wildcats recruited Dario Hunt, there is no way Brandt was given that ultimatum.

Reply #811551 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The original rumour when Brandt left was that there was a personality clash between him and Gleeson.

Reply #811553 | Report this post

Wilbur  
Years ago

Wildcats are going for an import PF, so Brandt will be able to slot into the starting Centre role. Talk is Plumlee will not be back.

Cam Oliver or similar is what Perth will be looking for.

Reply #811554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brandt left because Trev was going to recruit over him. That's the truth, you can ask him that yourself. Perth fans just getting upset because they think everyone wants to go there . But reality they don’t. They missed all their recruits so far

Reply #811556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Perth fans just getting upset because they think everyone wants to go there"

That's about as dumb as saying Perth fans think their players play for free.

Reply #811559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#559 they do on both accounts

Reply #811561 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Brandt left because Trev was going to recruit over him. That's the truth,

Could that be simply they couldn't agree on a salary figure?

It is understandable if Brandt was looking to be paid more. The Wildcats under the Gleeson era have not really needed a dominant Centre, much of the game revolves around Cotton. They were even rock bottom one year on blocked shots.

Their Championship Centres to date were Knight, McKay, Jawai, Brandt, Hunt/Plumlee. So it is clear they don't have Centres at the top of their list, this is not a blight on those I have listed by the way. So if Brandt wanted more, they probably felt they could survive with Hunt.

Reply #811562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Selling knight short.

Reply #811564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think his point was that they don't value a dominant centre as a focal point. Knight was a PF playing the C spot, Jawai is probably the most talented of that bunch but couldn't play big minutes, the rest of serviceable role players.

"#559 they do on both accounts "

Thank you for proving you are full of shit.

Reply #811565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is alex pledger returning?

Reply #811566 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Knight was a solid 5 man in that era. Not sure it would work the last few seasons.

Reply #811567 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Selling Brandt short too IMO. He was a legit weapon for us.
Very good get for Melbourne.

Reply #811570 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Wouldn't think Pledger is coming back with Brandt and Lual-Acuil on board, not after the role he found himself in last season.

I like the college signees from United. No guarantee either of them (assuming Kuany is the ex-Taipan/King and not the guy at Cal university) becomes a major contributor, but it's a solid gamble, especially with one less import making it maybe a little easier to find minutes.

Reply #811571 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Could that be simply they couldn't agree on a salary figure?

Correct

With Kay in great form, and the rotations Trev liked to go with, Even as a starter Brant only averaged around 20 minutes.

He was out of contract, worth more than the Cats were prepared to pay for a 20min player, and he was receiving lucrative offers from around the league and world.
The Cats at that time had an import slot up their sleave, and the reality was that Trev could get an import cheaper than Brandt.

Now I do know that prior to this, Brandt was happy in Perth.
Also there were reports that Trev was still talking to him about a return.
I don't know. Maybe he'd love to play for Trev again, maybe he wouldn't.
I think he would slot in well, but maybe MU just had a better offer. Maybe they want a 25~30 minute starter, and Trev still wants only a 20.

Reply #811577 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Please note that I did not set out to sell Knight or Brandt or any of those guys short.

I purposely left out names like Derek Cooke Jnr and Luke Schensher because of the inevitable response of 'Derek Cooke Jnr / Big Bird should not be in the same sentence as Brandt and Knight'.

Knight and Brandt were dominant at times, but neither were the focus of the team like an Early / Prime Redhage, Lisch, Ennis, Prather, Cotton and Kay (more so in the playoffs where oppositions focus on Cotton) were.

Reply #811578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love the experts.
Wasn't salary.
Recruited over.
Ask him.

Reply #811580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D2.0 acting like he's in the know.

Reply #811581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed. D2.0 more wrong than right

Reply #811582 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Perth fans just getting upset because they think everyone wants to go there . But reality they don't.

they do on both accounts

So I'm guessing you're the same anonymous that keeps claiming Perth only gets players by paying more, even though your own logic contradicts that.
Perth is an attractive destination, and you can certainly understand why some players with a choice, choose Perth.
But obviously not everyone does. Different players have different goals, and TBH the league is full of good destinations at the moment. Even if you're chasing what Perth normally offers, we're not the only competitive team out there, and if anything the league is looking very open for next season.

They missed all their recruits so far

Well if that's true, lets hope we keep missing.

Reply #811589 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

D2.0 acting like he's in the know.

You too could be, just use your brain, and read.
The only claims I have made are easily verifiable historical fact.
The only piece that is conjecture is my belief that Perth did not match the offers Brandt was getting elsewhere. So sure, I suppose its possible they offered him more money, more than they would normally pay for 20 minutes, and more than a Dario Hunt, and he still went to Europe.
Agreed. D2.0 more wrong than right

If you need to agree with yourself, you could save time and space and just put it in the same post.

Reply #811591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just asked Angus.
He said the anon is full of shit.

Reply #811599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha D2.0 gets so butt hurt. Typical perf fan

Reply #811600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is Gus. Anon is right

Reply #811601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding to se Melb. 1 yr deal announced tomorrow!! Watch this space.

Reply #811603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually heard this today at the physio I go to. The guy did a physical with cg last week. Big get.

Reply #811604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is the physio. Anon is right

Reply #811658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't get the Kuany signing, been around and never kept his spot.

Reply #811659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would they get Goulding...
They have Gliddon, Stephens, te Rangi and Gibson.

They need a 1 and a backup 5

Reply #811660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OP 1 post in it's life. Probably should be called Blowjob. Get's it done in a short period of time. Insider trading.

Reply #811663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard Angus refused to sign with perth as jack bendat slept with his missus.

Jack told me

Reply #811665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After Macca reneg. his deal at top dollar. Hard to see how they are fitting all of above in without cheating the cap (which Larry will let his team do)
Goulding is not taking a discount.
I wish the nbl would release salaries, as the cheating is a joke to the Hawks and Taipans of the world

Reply #811680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you know Goulding isn't taking a discount like all the players?

Reply #811681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding management are asking 900g, so it's a discount with the 50% cut, not against the cap though.

Reply #811685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$900,000 hahaha school is definitely out

Reply #811686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because all Marquees have not taken a discount

You really think if Macca didnt take a discount, Goulding would?? Same agents too.

United will cheat the cap, heavily. How will Larry call out Larry for cheating the cap?

Reply #811704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again just someone with no idea talking rubbish. "United will cheat the cap. Heavily" Pure opinion without any shred of evidence. I might as well say I am CG43's personal assistant. Comes with exactly the same weight and believability as your statement.

Reply #811705 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There isn't even a cap to cheat, WTF are you idiots talking about?

Reply #811708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice call KR

Reply #811711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is a bottom five player cap, you can't pay them all millions. There is also a tax for going over the salary cap which clubs don’t like giving money to the league.

Reply #811714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is a cap to cheat KR. Try reading a little more.

If you go over the cap the league taxes you and is meant to split that up to small market teams as part of "equalization"

We have never had a figure come out per club about being over/under and we have never known whether the total taxed money ends up where they say. ( I highly doubt it does)

So in saying that, clubs are HEAVILY INCENTIVIZED to report under the salary cap to save themselves $$$.
Its a pretty easy formula even for you KR

This is why clubs like Melb United pay players w car deals off the books, US $ from their US bank account (for imports) that goes unnoticed, and yes, funnily enough a certain property developers brand new shiny apartment. Ill let you guess which one.
That clear enough for you re cheating the cap?

Reply #811721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Its a pretty easy formula even for you KR" Hahahaha

Reply #811725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#721 more unconfirmed opinion disguised poorly as fact.

Reply #811740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unconfirmed opinion Yep. Check which building one of uniteds star players lives in and owns.
But even if it was 100% confirmed?
Are other clubs going to report United (Larry K)to the NBL (Larry K)
So I would agree, it doesn't matter. Larry funds the NBL and all the sheep are ok with no transparency because he has spent millions.

Just remember the league is even for all!

Reply #811743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes boss, smh

Reply #811744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Check which building one of uniteds star players lives in and owns. "

I asked Angus Brandt but he wouldn't say.

Reply #811745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well we know Prather will be back and cheering the team on from the bench again

Reply #811748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that star player or players lives in and owns? I just want to make sure I understand correctly what someone with all the facts and knowledge is saying.

Reply #811749 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Oh no, you've seen through Larry's dastardly plan to...pay United players instead of giving the money to himself.

Reply #811766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coming from a bloke who didnt know how the salary cap worked....

Reply #811767 | Report this post

Angus Brandt  
Years ago

Do I know you anon 811745?

Reply #811768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that star player or players lives in and owns? I just want to make sure I understand correctly what someone with all the facts and knowledge is saying.

^^ One star player in particular. Do the maths.

Reply #811769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I couldn't do the math because your English was so poor.

Reply #811770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#767 that's kind of funny

Reply #811771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Math. US
Maths. Aus

Reply #811772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Meth. Adelaide.

Reply #811773 | Report this post

Wilbur  
Years ago

Another thread with posts giving Koberulz crap?

Oh boy. He is ok guys. He's quite intelligent actually if you've ever met him in person.

Reply #811775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats why they dont like him. These anon bullies are intimidated by someone who is far more intelligent than they are.

Reply #811779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FMD what a bunch of losers. Nobody cares about your sad internet personas. Talk bball or GTFO.

Reply #811785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry Mr Tough guy

Reply #811796 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

CG, McCarron, Brandt, Ili, Lual Acuil, Barlow, Kuany, White

Not a bad local group if true

The question of McCarron' s position comes up again.

Reply #811814 | Report this post

blownjoan  
Years ago

Told ya - 3 years offical now.

Reply #811834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 imports to go sf and pf or cg

Reply #811838 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Coming from a bloke who didnt know how the salary cap worked....
I know exactly how it works.

Players are assigned a value, and that value is put against the cap. Luxury tax is paid if those values add up to a number over the threshold.

The actual salary is irrelevant, so dodging around it by making under-the-table payments makes absolutely no sense. Not that your theory that LK was doing dodgy deals to avoid paying himself money made any sense to begin with.

Reply #811840 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Great for Melbourne if all these local signings are true with the right pair of imports would be the early title favorites.

Reply #811847 | Report this post

Ryan  
Years ago

If this is true then I can't see the roster looking anything other than

Ili / McCarron / Short (DP)
Goulding / McCarron / Kuany
Import / White / Kuany
Import / Barlow / Peatling (DP)
Brandt / JLA

ideally with the SF being play-making focused to cover Ili's offensive limitations and the PF being an athletic defender

Reply #811923 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Great signings if true Melbourne so far has 2 deals done with Jack White and Chris Goulding today.

I see Barlow's deal being done next week and not surprised if Kuany gets sign with Melbourne. Kuany was training with them when he got cut from the Kings. United told me they were happy with his process.

Fingers crossed with Brandt and Mason Peatling.

Reply #811972 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Bugger, *Progress

Reply #811973 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Why so long with Brandt confirmation?

Reply #814803 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:50 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754