Zodiac
Years ago

Brisbane Bullets Sign Anthony Drmic

Drmic signs a 2 year contract with an option for a third year.

https://nbl.com.au/news/bullets-fire-early-free-agency-shot-with-drmic-signing

A shame but it's official now good luck to him in Brisbane I enjoyed having him on the Sixers even when he was losing his mind.

Topic #47398 | Report this topic

D2.0  
Years ago

Always thought it weird that Adelaide let him go, but I guess this was the most telegraphed FA signing.
Brisbane seem to be accumulating a good spread of Aussies.

Reply #811520 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Reply #811524 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I like Drmic but always felt he (to this point in his pro career) either underachieved or was over hyped.

For someone coming out of college touted as a shooter his %'s have never been great. These were his %'s last season.

29.5 3P%
64.9 FT%

He struggles to finish at the rim at times and whilst active on defense is only a mediocre defender (imo).

A new environment might be good for him though and I hope he reaches his potential.

Reply #811531 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Agree with Tornado.

He had his chance when Creek left and also Sobey however never stepped up consistently like he should have.

Added to that he probably wanted big money.

Now that he is gone he will probably actually hit his shots on a consistent basis.

Reply #811533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes always overhyped, new scenery might do him good. Brisbane list looking very middle of the road unless Patterson returns, no match winners on that team so far. I guess with Lemanis it's always about team.

Reply #811535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have some key [arts to a squad that took Melbourne to 5 games

36ers offered him a deal that he accepted, then the 36ers pulled it

Reply #811537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guy thinks he is tough and really is lucky to still be in the nbl

Reply #811539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Brisbane seem to be accumulating a good spread of Aussies"

Well, a spread of Aussies.

Reply #811545 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

If as rumoured Harry Froling signs with them too they could put out a decent starting five of just ex-36ers players.

Hodgson
Froling
Drmic
Sobey
Cadee

Reply #811548 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Plays best as the 3rd or 4th option, hustling and hitting big shots when required so should improve on last season with the Bullets.

Reply #811549 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

So the Bullets are about to overtake the 36ers as the most hated team in the NBL? Drimic, Froling and Sobey are all hot heads.

Reply #811550 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"So the Bullets are about to overtake the 36ers as the most hated team in the NBL? Drimic, Froling and Sobey are all hot heads."

I used to think that, but in recent years feel it was Wright pushing that "chip on the shoulder" mentality. Sobey and Creek haven't been like this at all since leaving the 36ers.

Reply #811557 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Hopefully they will adopt the calmness of Lemanis

Reply #811560 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Drey pilfering from Adelaide now instead of Cairns!

Reply #811569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully they don't adopt the ineptness of Lemanis.

Reply #811572 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I gotta feeling he'll go pretty good against the 36ers.

Reply #811574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely didn't take the steps up last year that most thought he would. 30% from 3 isn't great, but did he have someone getting the ball to him in correct spots. A lot of Randle 1 on 1 then he'd take some tough shots late in the clock. And probably not as athletic or fast as a starting NBL 2 guard. Playing opposite Machado would have been good for him, just run to his spot and get set up.
Now nearly the carbon copy in McVeigh will get his chances. High energy guy but is he ready or good enough for big minutes.

Reply #811575 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

From what I have seen, McVeigh is a better, more reliable shooter that Drmic.

Reply #811579 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I think he has always been a bit of a streaky/up and down shooter.
Even his college stats fluctuated quite a lot - was basically a 40% 3-point shooter one season then a 30% 3 point shooter another season (on almost identical 3PA per game and MPG in both seasons).

Reply #811584 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Hopefully McVeigh can step right into Drmic's minutes, at 37% 3Pt% not too shabby, higher than the 'eye test'.

Reply #811586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not certain relying on McVeigh to shoot a percentage of threes is a winning policy. The new coach has to get Adelaides defence right first for major improvements.

Reply #811594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really happy for this news, as a somewhat jaded 36er fan. He was not great, overpaid, and became dead wood. Clean house.

At same time, happy for him as a person, that he has a new contract.

Reply #811607 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Just watching Drmic's podcast interview with Gibbo earlier this evening he gave a 'shout out' to this forum (SA Hoops as he called it) in regards to all the shit he used to cop in his rookie season.

Reply #811613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's huge Zodiac I honestly thought nbl players didn't read this forum.

Reply #811614 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Drmic just never stepped up when required. Would miss open 3's at pivotal moments. Had the yips with free throws. He missed about 6 in a row in one game. For someone who is touted as a good 3pt shooter, he missed a lot wide open.

Reply #811617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide is now

Adelaide 36ers-Henry
(I)/6'7 J.Giddey(NS)/6'5 A.Mudronja
6’5 S.Dech/6’4 D.Dillon
6’8 J.Mcveigh/6’4 B.Teys
6’11 D.Johnson/6’9 O.Kyei
7’0 I.Humphries/6’9 K.Pinder
DP
6’5 M.Harris SG

Just the import pg to go.come

Reply #811623 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Ditch Dillon have a second Import and they might be competitive if both imports are studs lol

36ers lack shooting and length and defence

Reply #811624 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Come on.... starting SF cannot be McVeigh.

Reply #811625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They said import vet 1

Reply #811626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Dillon is old now

Reply #811627 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Lovebroker...McVeigh just needs to be a 3 & D guy and make hustle plays. If you'd be happy starting Drmic you should be happy starting McVeigh - he's as good as Drmic now and has been improving each year.

Reply #811629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McVeigh is a horrible defender, I don't agree with a lot LB says but he’s on the money here.

Reply #811630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just waiting for one more person to mention Brandon Jennings, there's a reason he's not in NBA people. Would make Randle look like John Stockton.

Reply #811639 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

The highlight of Jennings career was his 55 point game as a 19yo. It's been all downhill from there.

Reply #811641 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I don't think McVeigh is in Drmics level yet.

Bit disappointed they let Drmic go would have liked finances permitting:

C Humphries/Pinder
F Johnson/Kyei
F Drmic/McVeigh
G Dech or Import/Teys
G Import/Giddey/Mudronja

Reply #811642 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Drmic is active defensively but he's not a good defender either. You lose nothing with McVeigh in that spot, if anything you gain a better clip from the arc and stripe.

Reply #811648 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I think Drmic is better defensively and at this stage more potent offensively than McVeigh too wildly inconsistent he was though.

Reply #811652 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:19 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754