Curtley
Years ago

Tassie NBL team name

This is doing the rounds again with voting open only to Taswegians.

A majority of those on the socials seems to be saying Devils or Tigers but can either of those actually be used?

Topic #47410 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope.

Reply #811947 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Tassie Interbreds?

Reply #811948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

can the tas team talk to players now for next season

Reply #811963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maniacs

Reply #811968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brewers

Lock in James Boags as naming rights sponsor.

Reply #811971 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Which names do you like guys Tasmania Pirates, Tasmania Sharks, Tasmania Titans, Tasmania Islanders, Tasmania Mariners, Tasmania Warriors, Tasmania Bandits or Tasmania Wombats?

Reply #811974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing uniquely Tasmanian in those suggestions sorry. Anthony Stewart suggested the Tassie Jack Jumpers last night on TV.

Reply #811981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmania will need management, coaches etc before they talk to players.

Reply #811984 | Report this post

Say what?!!!  
Years ago

Tasmanian Two-Headed Monsters

Reply #812002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers is available ....

Reply #812007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Tigers is available ...."
The state cricket team might have something to say about that...

Reply #812010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ffs, how many times have we gone over this and keep getting the same sad suggestions. Please lock it for people's sanity at least.

Reply #812012 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Titans is a nice alteration.
As is Thunder, but IIRC there's already an NBL1 team?

There's lot of big trees & mountains in Tassie, so what about Giants?

Reply #812018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Turkeys

Reply #812019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really nice Trout in Tasmania. I say Tassie Trouts.

Reply #812020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love a good alteration.

Reply #812021 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Tassie Tiger Snakes

Reply #812023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tree Frogs?

Reply #812024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really?

Reply #812029 | Report this post

Bass Strait Bounce

Tassie Diemens

FanTAStics

Reply #812034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmaniacs

Reply #812038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tassie Tall Timber

Reply #812040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Devils

Reply #812041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huskies

Reply #812042 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Tassie T-Rexs?

Reply #812044 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

What about the Wombats? They are great animals but never seem to get a look in for professional sporting team names. Same could be said for the Platypus. Both are prevalent in Tasmania. While they of course don't start with T or rhyme with Tasmania, I do think that the people of Tasmania will warm to the idea in a way that they would become synonymous with basketball.

Reply #812046 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

I liked "FanTAStics", above, or TASfantics.

Reply #812048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Timbers' or Tall Timbers could work. Although it’s an odd name in a professional sport it’s not without precedent.

Major League Soccer has the Portland Timbers.

You could go something classically American like the Tasmania GreenJackets, giving recognition to the states landscape in a similar way.

Reply #812058 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Why are the devils not an option again?

Reply #812059 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Tassieworld

Reply #812063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Devils is now owned by the AFL.

Reply #812065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"can the tas team talk to players now for next season"

Nope. Based on PNX entry, they are not part of the league until sometime after the 20/21 season and they can only talk to uncontracted players.

Reply #812098 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Tassie Penguins...Done!

Reply #812107 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

I like Tasmania Titans, has a good ring to it.

Reply #812171 | Report this post

Tjamu  
Years ago

the bloke above who said Tassie Diemens is a creative genius, but that name sadly isnt marketable and not many would get it.

Huskies/Timberwolves would be nice but in saying that, I'd hate to see a blatant rip off of Minnesota in the NBA. If we could have a Timberwolves branding that wasnt just a blatant rip of the NBA logo it could have potential.

Maybe look at naming them after a tree. Could be unique and there is lots of different native trees down there

Reply #812307 | Report this post

Aiden  
Years ago

Island state warriors or tas pointers as in white pointer shark

Reply #812317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tassie Tuxedo's or Tassie two steppers. LOcals will get it.

Reply #812336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not just call them the Perth Bandits?

Since we're the ones paying for them.

Reply #812364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmanian Devos

and the fans could all wear those strange red hats

Reply #812368 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Whatever the name, I hope it has TWO syllables. It seems the only chant announcers know in Australia is "Let's Go ___-___, let's go!"

#=3 syllables is too much, which is why we're stuck with the "Haw-Awks"

Either that, or, just maybe, come up with an original chant?

Reply #812374 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Tjamu, went to a game at Stanford in Cal, USA. They have a tree as there logo and also as their court-mascot. Never understood why, and it's a god-awful mascot.

"Lumberjacks", only if the team adopts the Monty Python version as their team-song and performs it on court as their answer to the Hakka.

Reply #812401 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The iconic "Tassie Devils" name is unavailable as it is trademarked by the AFL, while the “Hobart Devils” trademark is owned by the NBL's 3×3 Hustle rivals CLB3X3.

Reply #812404 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

So their original name of Tassie Devils can't be used, nor can Hobart Devils, how about Van Diemen devils?

Reply #812412 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

NBL really dropped the ball not taking up former trademarks.

Might as well go with Hobartworld, because everybody in Launceston and the north know what's up.

Reply #812414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmanian devils if tassie devils is taken. Once up and running everyone will shorten it tassie but officially Tasmanian devils.

Reply #812419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love the Perth idiot saying we pay for them. Perth can't do that. They are broke.

Reply #812442 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

NBL really dropped the ball not taking up former trademarks.
They actually do still have one of the old trademarks, it's just a particular depiction of the word "Devils". Not sure, but I assume it is/was for use on some retro stuff, as they also hold a few other old ones.

Ultimately, I think they'd still have some freedom in choosing a mascot.
The 6's have a Magpie? Breakers have Cheeky the Kea, etc.
If the name was otherwise not specific to a particular animal, you could still have "Tassie the Devil" as your mascot. Provided you're otherwise careful with your branding, you would probably get away with that. (Although mascot-based merchandise would need to be especially careful.)

You've also got to remember that new teams tend to strive for "new" names, rather than defaulting to obvious choices. Tasmanian is fortunate in having two unique fierce creatures (although hunting one to extinction probably not a smart move.)
In WA we have the Black Swan, and whilst it's beautiful and our widely used state symbol, none of our teams carry the name.

Reply #812490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Tassie Cousins

Reply #812507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tassie Timbers.

Reply #812511 | Report this post

Renata Lacey  
Years ago

Jackjumpers
Pademelons

Reply #813018 | Report this post

Kim Hughes  
Years ago

Reply #813152 | Report this post

Makita-lee barr  
Years ago

Tassieskys

Reply #813273 | Report this post

Makita-lee barr  
Years ago

Tassieskys

Reply #813274 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Hobart Hussle. How many times does Nostraballmus have to tell you that this will be the name ?

Reply #813277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes we know many times yet you can't even spell it.

Reply #813278 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

It's hustle. Nostrilballmuss.

Reply #813283 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Nostraballmus can't knock Nostrilballmuss's hussle. Or Hustle.

Reply #813291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stupidity is a better word.

Reply #813308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Done right, the name Pride could work. If they can own the lion mascot with it and not have the Kings use it.

What should be noted is that the team colours are pretty much already chosen and I doubt they'll beer too much from it.

In the last few weeks we've seen the Washington Redskins renamed to nothing and the new Seattle NHL team named the Seattle Kraken which sounds like a brand of rum.

If you look across the world at new teams, they want an iconic name. Something that not done, overdone.

And if someone suggests Devils again...

Reply #813322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tridents has won me, lot things can be done wa trident.

Reply #813337 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Nostraballmus sees that anonymity and stupidity go hand in hand.

Tridents will become TryHards in no time. so it's pretty appropriate.

Nostraballmus won’t take any suggestions for a team name seriously from anyone who can’t name themselves

Reply #813357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From today's 'The Mercury'.

"What should Tasmania's NBL team be called?
Tasmania Mountaineers
9%
Tasmania Timbers
12%
Tasmania Jack Jumpers
43%
Tasmania Tridents
24%
Tasmania Pride
12%
348 Voters
An NBL spokesman confirmed the league had registered these five names but said it was not the final short list.
The official competition will remain open until Friday and the list of names could be added to, but the league wanted to trademark these popular names before they were taken."

Reply #814858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tridents please. What's a jack jumper.

Reply #814871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clearly not a Tasmanian

Reply #814882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From today's The Mecrcury" in part. "Name suggestions closed last Friday, with more than 9000 options, inclusive of multiple entries, being submitted."
Brookhouse, who is hoping to return to Tasmania by the end of next month after completing his duties with Golf Australia, said revealing the identity of the club and starting a membership drive for the 2021-22 are two high priorities, as well as finding a "home" office base.

Reply #815813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

jack jumper ant - lol

Reply #815818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmanian NBL snag: Rugby fights to protect Jack Jumper name

Reply #815819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep we know.

Reply #815836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some wanker said earlier "Why not just call them the Perth Bandits. Since we're the ones paying for them." Pretty sure Perth are broke and Clive Palmer is suing the WA government for $30 BILLION !

Reply #815882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"ANOTHER building block has been put in place in the creation of the Tasmanian NBL team with a the appointment of the yet to be named club's general manager commercial and marketing.
Christine Finnegan, who has previously held senior commercial and marketing positions at St Kilda Football Club, Melbourne Storm and the Melbourne Rebels, will start her new role next month.

"I’m thrilled to be joining Tasmania’s new NBL team and to be part of what is one of the most exciting opportunities in Australian sport," Finnegan said.

“I’ve spent a lot of time in Tasmania over the years through my family connections there and I’m looking forward to working with the local community to build a team all Tasmanians can be proud of."
"“We will announce further appointments over the coming weeks and months as the club starts to take shape as we look forward to Tasmania’s entry into the NBL in the 2021-22 season.”
The team will shortly announce the shortlist of names for the new team following a campaign asking Tasmanians to nominate their preferred names."

Reply #816206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting choice for sure. I hope the NBL realise that this is a Tassie side and price their sponsorship, boxes, merch etc at sensibe pricing, not mainland prices. If they got the mainland way that will be their first fail. Equally they need to get out to the grassroots of the kids out their and I unsure how they will do that at all.

Reply #816332 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Interesting point, and upon reflection, I hope they have considered demographics when choosing the name and image.
Even If I were Tasmanian, they shouldn't be listening to old farts like me. Need to get the kids and young parents, they are the future of the club.

Reply #816339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

100% correct Dazz. The NBL right now are going down the wrong path.

Reply #816352 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Tassie Lions is the way to go.

Make them green maroon yellow white

Reply #816364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have suggested LIons all the way through however the competion is now closed. Awaiting (maybe this week?) for the final names to be released and then the naming. The longer the name isn't announced the harder it will be to get to the grass roots. How that will happen I don't know.

Reply #816413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL has announced the shortlist of names for the new 10th team in Tasmania.

Last month the NBL asked Tasmanians to nominate their top three preferences and received almost 10,000 names. The NBL has now shortlisted the following five names:

Tasmania Tridents

Tasmania Timbers

Tasmania Pride

Tasmania Jack Jumpers

Tasmania Mountaineers

Reply #816670 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

"Tassie Tridents", "the Mountaineers", "the JayJays" (Jack Jumpers)

which sounds the most right

Reply #816672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terrible group of names. Mountaineers probably the best followed by Timbers. Interesting that Stewart nominated Jack Jumpers and Bartlett Tridents. Trying to keep a couple of vocal people happy?
Expect them to go with Tridents although it isn't a great choice.

Reply #816678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow what a terrible group of names!

Reply #816681 | Report this post

The latest here.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/nbl-nsw-government-says-homebush-and-wollongong-are-perfect-nbl-hubs-to-get-season-underway/news-story/cff4d1a01068435a215f17e0aaadab5a

Reply #816683 | Report this post

Wrong topic. Please delete.

Reply #816685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There ok but why just Tasmania, can't they be called Tasmanian Tridents or jack jumpers etc.

Reply #816687 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Gotta love it when they run a competition, but don't actually publish the results. Note that they have been scrupulously careful to only say "The NBL has shortlisted these five names." They want people to longer that they were the most popular, but that's not what has been said.

As an outsider looking on, they all seem really terrible choices, so I'm curious which one they're actually angling for.

Reminds me bit of the 70's when some nong decided we should adopt the nickname "Sandgropers" after some blind terraneal insect nobody had ever heard of.

I just hope that the good folk of Tassie actually like one of those names, and that's the one they go with.

Reply #816731 | Report this post

NOt many people like any of the names on FB. Pride was always the preffered name by the NBL. No one out side of Tassie knows what a jack jumper is, the Tridents? What about the West coast of Tassie? The Timbers many people in Tassie hate the Timber industry. They had "10,000" name subbmissions. 3 in one vote. So that means only 3000+ people voted and that includes multiple votes. I am sure that there were many non Tasmanian votes (which don't count) plus I know of many people submitting multiple times. Piss poor NBL.

Reply #816742 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

IMHO it would be different if JJs had a snazzy name like "Fire Ants" or "Red Devil Ants". But Jay-Jays?

Tridents isn't completely terrible. I'm not sure I completely understand the proposition that Tassie has 3 (and only 3) regions, but the name itself isn't too bad. Just means that come "Super Hero" round, they get stuck with Aqua Man. Lol

Timbers, I can see the connection, a lot of magnificent forests in Tassie. But as a name?

Mountaineers is just kind of meh. Doesn't really roll off the tongue.

We just have to hope its not Pride.
Nobody anywhere is ever going to associate that name with the collective noun for Lions, much less comprehend the tenuous link to an antiquated English Heraldic symbol.

Reply #816760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a shame that they can't have names that are synonymous with Tassie like devil's or tigers. Instead we have bullshit names like Jack jumpers (wtf) and tridents. Surely it's not that hard. Hell, go with Bearcats, never seen one down port Adelaide but that didn't stop West.

Reply #816762 | Report this post

Tas AFL owns the rights to The Devils. It is not in use afaik.

Reply #816770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Tas AFL owns the rights to The Devils. It is not in use afaik."

This falsehood is a zombie that will not lie down. 'Tassie Devils' is registered to a Tasmanian sole trader called Luke Summers. He registered the name from 28 February 2020. See https://www.abr.business.gov.au/ABN/View?abn=74561448644. So AFL don't own that version of the name.

'Tasmanian Devils Football Club' is registered to a Victorian sole trader called Giovanni Molluso. He registered the name from 10 June 2019. See https://www.abr.business.gov.au/ABN/View?abn=31470468911. So AFL don't own that version of the name.

It's most likely that 'Devils' is not available to the NBL because it's in use by the 'South East Launceston Devils Basketball Club Incorporated', who registered that business name from 1 July 2000. See https://www.abr.business.gov.au/ABN/View?abn=56843796727.

There are a shedload of sporting clubs and associations registered as 'Devils' in the Australian Business Register. They appear in most, if not all, states and territories, including Tasmania. They also appear for multiple sports. So, please, can we kill off the fiction that AFL owns the rights to 'Devils'?

Reply #816771 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

ABR is a business name search database. Business names aren't trademarks.

Reply #816774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Business names and Trademarks are two different things.

The Trademark for the name 'Tasmania Devils' is owned by the AFL/AFL Tasmania. It’s held under trademark number 2009841.

Easily identifiable by searching on https://search.ipaustralia.gov.au/trademarks

Use of the ‘Tasmania Devils’ name would infringe upon that trademark.

Reply #816775 | Report this post

It's not in current use. The Tas Govt should say to them you are using it we want it. Probem solved. We will compensate you (a token amount).

Reply #816786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just pick one and get on with it. It'll be the shot in the arm that basketball needs after the covid interrupted season.

I like tridents, there is a lot you can do with it from advertisements to merchandise.

Reply #816789 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

That sucks that the AFL has control of that name even though they still haven't expanded into Tassie after all these years. The Devils were a basketball team first! Maybe the new team could be the Devils but replace the 'l' with an image of LK's middle finger? ;-D

Reply #816798 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Disappointing shortlist there. I wouldn't be happy choosing from those if I were a Tassie basketball fan. Jack Jumpers is probably the best because it is uniquely Tasmanian. But it doesn't really roll off the tongue.

The Mad Ants is an awesome name, but then you lose the Tassie connection.

Tasmanian Diemen's is the best one I've heard, since Devils and Tigers don't seem to be available.

Reaching a bit here, but would Tassie fans go with the Tasmanian Lakers? You have Lake Gordon and Pedder and your state is powered by the hydro from those lakes.

Reply #816799 | Report this post

Nope

Reply #816807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it will be Pride - not sure if that is a pride of lions. Is a group of Tassie Devils a pride?

Reply #816833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cant wait to see tassie nbl in 2022

Reply #816834 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

The AFL/ Football Tasmania, do notionally use the name, to apply to any representative team from Tassie. Now of course I can't remember the last time such a team played? Maybe the U18s?? Tassie sends a team to the national championships each year (not this year due to covid) but I don't recall them having a name.

It's a pity the AFL won't either put-up or shut up. Give Tassie a team, or release the trademarks

Reply #816857 | Report this post

Dave Marshall  
Years ago

The under-18 AFL team (NAB League?) were using Devils as of last year. I think they were called the Mariners before that.

Reply #816866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tridents looming. Paywall article unfortunately.
https://www.themercury.com.au/sport/basketball/tridents-the-most-popular-choice-for-new-tasmanian-nbl-team/news-story/bd0e3952cc70ffcfbb89d2ffef679a5b

In part "The "Tridents" has emerged as the frontrunner for the new Tasmanian NBL team after five names were released last week.

Controversy reigned when the NBL announced a shortlist of names for Tasmania's return to the league in the 2021-2022 season.

The likes of Jackjumpers, Timbers, Pride and Mountaineers all copped criticism, but Tridents seems to be the most popular pick.
NBL Tasmania Advisory Board Member and former Tasmanian premier, David Bartlett, would like to see Tridents given the green light as the team’s name.
“I’m a very big supporter of Tridents,” Bartlett said.
“The thing that I learnt out of running the Hobart Chargers back in NBL1 and SEABL is that you have to put a face to the club for the kids.
“The mascot has to have a face and I don’t believe that mountaineers or timbers works in that respect.
“But that Neptune face would be an awesome mascot and the trident works because it has the three regions of north, northwest and south.
“The three would never come together, expect for if they are in a trident as one weapon to rule them all.”...

Reply #816889 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

As it says, Tridents works with Neptune as your Mascot, and is brilliant from a merchandising perspective with everyone waving their inflatable tridents behind the goals

and, of course, it passes the most important test in the NBL:
"let's go Trid-Dents, let's go"

Reply #816924 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I'm not surprised that Tridents would be the frontrunner. There's a lot that can be done from a promotional and conceptual standpoint with the name and it's certainly my favorite from the suggestions that have been given.

Reply #816929 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Dazz, WTF is a Triddent?

Reply #816933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tassie, Tassie, Tassie, Oi, Oi, Oi.

Reply #816942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does Trident relate to Tasmania ?, I would take mountaineers over Tridents ( most people need to google it )

Reply #817116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So with the waek list of names selected what happened to the "eliminate one a week" propsoal that should be happening right now?

Reply #817117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does kings relate to Sydney, bullets to Brisbane, wildcats to Perth etc, very poor argument.

Trident has plenty of options for fans, media, commercials etc.

Reply #817118 | Report this post

Dave Marshall  
Years ago

#817117, it happened yesterday. Timbers was cut.

Reply #817119 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yeah very few Australian sports teams have any real connection with their nickname. Freo Dockers is probably one of the best from that perspective.

I think Tridents is a solid name and as everyone has said above there's plenty that you can do with it from a branding and merch perspective.

Reply #817121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://mobile.twitter.com/nicktan77/status/1287043701705908226

Reply #817122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks fantastic, really like it !!!

Reply #817129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't even make The Mercury Dave Marshall that I can see.

Reply #817133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jackjumpers is different and unique. No doubt known as the 'Ants'. Quite a bit merch wise there as well.

Reply #817141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack jumpers is the tas rugby union team so no....

Reply #817142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Business names and Trademarks are two different things. "

Thanks for that clarification. Given the two trademarks to 'Tasmania Devils' owned by AFL are both showing as pending acceptance, what does that mean for anyone else wanting to apply for the same trademark? Can they contest it on the grounds AFL aren't using it and won't for some years? Also, they've had 'adverse report correspondence sent' as part of the application process.What does that mean?

Reply #817150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the bet that none of the names get selected and at the last minute they buy the Devils name that everyone wants. Everyone I speak to hates all of the names selected. Jack Jumpers is still favourite btw.

Reply #817151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is everyone so caught up with the Devils name?? They folded more than 25 years ago, and were only average at best. I only remembered them being easy beats. Do they really need to reinstate that name?

Its absolutely a new franchise for Tasmania. Why not go with a new name?

Devils is taken/owned. Move on!

Reply #817156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^

Yep

Reply #817159 | Report this post

Dave Marshall  
Years ago

https://nbl.com.au/news/timbers-chopped-as-tasmania-name-search-narrows-to-four

Reply #817162 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Jack Jumpers, basketball connection: as in, "All the Jack Jumpers do is jack jumpers".

Reply #817168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mountaineers gone.

https://nbl.com.au/news/mountaineers-go-missing-as-team-tasmania-name-narrows-to-three

Reply #817400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Announcement this Thursday with the CEO now out of quarantine.

Reply #818049 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Welcome to the NBL JayJays

Reply #818050 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

the remaining names don't do anything..
Tassie Diemens best, as mentioned on hoolahoops...

Reply #818054 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Jumping jack they've chosen a crap name!

Reply #818058 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

It is pretty obvious the NBL will go with Jack Jumpers because the NBL are crap at picking names. Private business and don't care what other people think?

I know I might be bias but I dislike Phoenix’s name. They really should of consider Magic to bring back some history. There must of been a copyright issue with the NBA’s Orlando Magic. Now most NBL teams play against NBA teams in preseason. There can’t be Magic against Magic. It would of come done to Orlando if that would be okay but who knows? The NBL never considered it like how Tridents will be this Thursday. : /

Reply #818059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack jumpers already there rugby union team, makes no sense.

Reply #818062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I know it's been talked about previosly and I saw a Paywall article just now on The Advocate website trying to stop the NBL using thier name. So maybe it will be the pathetic Tridents name?

Reply #818064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Use this topic as the correct one to move the lunatic fringe on.

Reply #818067 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Hopefully the NBL can not use Jack Jumpers because it is used for their Rugby Union team. Tridents may not be the best name but it does have a nice catch to it. A shame the AFL have taken the iconic devils name.

Reply #818083 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Bogut and others have trashed the name ... 7minutes ago on adelaidenow...

Reply #818271 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

To be fair Bogut's opinions on anything are irrelevant I'm sure we can all remember the 'pizzagate' conspiracy theory nonsense he used to push, I wouldn't ask the guy for his opinion on the weather.

Reply #818272 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Tasmania Einsteins

Remember the movie, Young Einstein ?

Reply #818280 | Report this post

Jon  
Years ago

The Tassie prides

Reply #828060 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:26 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754