Lovebroker
Years ago

Goorjian : Most clubs broken Free Agency Amnesty

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-16/nbl-clubs-accused-of-free-agency-amnesty-breach/12453996

He is essentially having a dig at Sydney and Adelaide (being the front runners for Dech).

My response would be :
1) Those players were contracted to the Illawarra Hawks, that organisation does notexist anymore. Those players do not have a connection to that old club.

2) The NBL offered to take the contracts over. The Hawks' adminstration would have taken back those contracts hence preserving the relationship, they CHOSE not to,

3) BG has had the pleasure of questionable budgets under FirePower Kings, now bitch that he is on the other end.

4) This is no different to Adelaide allowing Froling and Drmic to go to market. Illawarra Hawks was not even solvent and their contracts were nullified. Players should be free to 'talk' but not sign.

Topic #47413 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone has discussions players when under contract.

Reply #812064 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Trash take by Goorjian - sounds like he didn't have a good feel for the landscape of the player market he was entering.

Reply #812067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Translation: "we're going to need to spend more money!".

Reply #812068 | Report this post

Midrange  
Years ago

Agreed with #068

Might be a push for his own owners to spend some money on players
he wants.

Reply #812069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is a bit dodgy when you have signings on first day of free agency. Means discussions likely happening for weeks.

Either NBL enforces or it dont bother with an amnesty.

Reply #812070 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

This is no different to any other free agency period. Well all know about major free agency signings well in advance. Hardly groundbreaking insight here.

Reply #812071 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Unfortunately it highlights a frequent issue with Administrators & Liquidators. They are supposed to minimise loss and maximise the realisation of assets, but instead they just slash & burn.
The existing contracts should have sold to the new owners. The league offered to honour the contract sin the interim, but the liquidators simply cancelled them all.

Reply #812073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Been happening for years. Nbl stuffing around selecting new owners didn't help, yes they were blindsided. There might be a few players under contract that could start there looking for outs.

Reply #812074 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

But there was always this danger when bringing Goorjan back to the league. He's too arrogant by far, and too accustomed to having things all his own way. He thinks the whole league should be listening to his opinions, but he's not the doyen any more. He's bloody great coach, and so he's a threat, and nobody is going to give him an inch

Free Agency has never worked like that, it can't. It's not only impractical, it would probably be considered restraint of trade in Australia.
The NBL doesn't allow the registration of the contracts until the given date, that's the best they can do. And in effect that means that you do have the opportunity to engage with those players even if the "deal" is already done.

I heard that Dech was one of the players working out with Goorj in Melbourne, a couple of weeks back, so how does that translate to him being already gone??
Again, I suspect Goorj felt he was in control and players would wait to see if he wanted them, and would all be thrilled to be offered a chance by the Great Goorjan. Being able to rebuild from scratch is a double-edged sword, they needed to move much faster to secure the players they wanted to keep.

Reply #812076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If true and the nbl own between 75% to 50% of the hawks, the nbl are the ones that should be asking how's it happening. The new owners didn’t have enough money to keep the kings so I’d say there is a fair bit truth in it.

Reply #812078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again, where's the source that the league owns 50-75% of the Hawks?

Reply #812080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The local news paper but I believe it's well known in the Illawarra community.

Reply #812083 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Dan Trist was announced by the Breakers 28 minutes after the start of free agency. There's no way no conversations were had prior.

Reply #812086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would fire your agent if he waited to discuss deals with other teams the minute FA opened.
Do you forum dwellers understand how business works at all?

Reply #812087 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

In Trust's case that conversation is possible under 28 minutes.

0:00am Shamir : Hello Dan.
0:01am Trist : You had me at Hello.

Reply #812088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well known Kesselman owns majority of the Hawks and wants to move them eventually, preferably to Sydney.
Hence why they dropped the name. Nothing to do with liquidators.

Reply #812089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All it is is Goorjian having a whinge because he isn't getting what he wants
Yeah the Hawks were always behind the rest of the clubs because of the announcement of the new owners but to me they had plenty of time to convince Dech & Glover to stay
Sounds like both Dech & Glover have found other opportunities like anyone else would & now because they have gone Goorjian & co are finding it hard to replace them with Australian players
It’s not like Goorjian would’ve approached players players off contract when he was in the league before

Reply #812090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where does Goorj mention budgets? Keep to the facts Lovebroker.

Reply #812091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Welcome back to the nbl!! Ha ha NbA can't police it how the hell would the NBL considering most of the muppets that work at head office more interested in Twitter than the games themselves

Reply #812094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trist was released before free agency began, his agent could talk to anyone he likes, same with Illawarra players as they were all released due to previous owners going bust. I actually know an agent that does follow the rules. Most clubs with a good recruiting structure ask agents who is on there books and who is available straight after season is complete.

Reply #812096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will see how good of a coach he is with a average team. Same as gleeson in Perth.

Reply #812109 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

None of it matters. Players are going to sign as per the rules. Discussions will always take place outside of them.

Reply #812110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know for a fact that Goorj is fully aware of how much they need to spend to compete. He's been here for a month of so and I am sure he has spoken to player agents in that time.

Reply #812111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Legit - what would someone like Trist earn? Basically emergency big man. $60k?

Reply #812114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the bottom salary amount is 58k.

Reply #812115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dech is gone, especially if a 3 year deal is being offered. Interesting to see how his style has evolved, used to be defensive orientated, some would say ugly ball. But with emphasis on scoring now, has he adapted. And coming from inferior league, how will he settle in. Always had best teams money could buy, will be a whole lot different unless he pulls a few rabbits out of the hat.

Reply #812124 | Report this post

Hawk head  
Years ago

The league needs to just say that signing players before FA starts is agaist the rules, but talking to players isn't. It's a joke that they pretend they don't know clubs are breaking the rules.

In this case, Goorjian said he thought the owners had met and agreed to actually respect the rule for once in the Hawks instance to give new owners a fair chance at recruiting previous players. He said they didn't and that was a tough lesson he learned.

Reply #812136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you believe that Goorj was the only one 'doing the right thing' you’ll believe anything

Reply #812151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh, this is too good! Goorjian complaining that people are abusing the rules!

pot...kettle...black

Welcome back to the NBL, Mr No Whistle-No Foul

Reply #812152 | Report this post

Triton 26  
Years ago

Goorj may be correct, but far out, this is the same bloke that happily built his reputation on teams that were so far over any sort of budget, it sent two franchises bankrupt!

Reply #812155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm glad more people are awake to him now than during his Sydney era when all the Kings fans thought he was Mr Perfect and the sun shone out of his arse. I am not questioning his ability as a motivator of people or a basketball coach btw and I hope he will be good for the Hawks especially with getting the public re engaged with the team.

Reply #812156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TBF all coaches need the right cattle to be successful. It's fine for Goorj. and not people like Gleeson which really gets on my balls.

Reply #812160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"it sent two franchises bankrupt!" So how did Goorj cause this!!!

Reply #812164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brian to previous GM's "I want player X,"
GM: "But he's too expensive, we're already spending too much"
Brian :"I don't care, we won't win unless we have him. Plus I want a better import."
GM: "But this will send us bankrupt "
Brian:"I'm going to hold my breath till you say yes!"
GM:"Ok Brian, here you go"

Reply #812169 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:25 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754