Tassie Timbers
Years ago

Tasmania Wolves/Wild/Pride

Another instance where the community is consulted but the organisation picks their own names.

Looks like it's down to these three.

Why Why Why?

Topic #47440 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Years ago

Why indeed. All four names listed above are awful.

Reply #812798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol might as well be Huskies

Reply #812800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where has this shortlist been communicated?

Reply #812801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There was a tweet today from @nbltasmania with those names shortlisted.

Reply #812812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't know about wolves, same link to Tassie as giraffes, other 2 are passable.

Reply #812813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PRIDE was always the NBL's own idea long ago. We can already see what LK and the NBL do. Have their own way. How about they publish the results rather than publish unsupported names. I could live with WILD. NO mascot I guess.

Reply #812819 | Report this post

Tas devil  
Years ago

To be fair if it wasn't for Larry we wouldn’t be getting an nbl team to start with his the only one that’s given us the time of day. We and our state government should be directing there hate towards the afl for them to trade mark the devils name when they have no interest in putting a team down here is extremely selfish if it wasn’t for them we would be getting the name the whole state wants!

Reply #812823 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

AFL are so evil.

Reply #812826 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I don't know why they bothered.
Should have just chosen the name, and announced it at the time of announcing the new team.
This way you just piss people off

Reply #812829 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Staging a naming competition even though one has already been chosen nets them more people for their mailing list.

Reply #812830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.taspride.com/

So is the new uniform going to be a rainbow?

Reply #812831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well at least they will have flexibility with their mascot.
It/them will be able to change gender and species at whim

Reply #812833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmania Devils play in the NAB League (AFL U18 League for everywhere except SA/WA), also supposed to be in the VFL in the next couple years. So that's what they're doing with that name...

Reply #812835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://mobile.twitter.com/Bartlett_DJ/status/1285858297824727040

Reply #812836 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

That tweet comes with the added bonus of a ClintDogg reply.

Reply #812837 | Report this post

Tas devil  
Years ago

That's the stupid thing the nab team was already called the mariners and I highly doubt the vfl team will even happen they didn’t want another sport to have it that’s all it was

Reply #812838 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Reply #812839 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Not really feeling it. Plus it's not Google-able as any search will result in a whole bunch of LGBT links.

Had to be Devils.

Reply #812840 | Report this post

Tas devil  
Years ago

Yeah the pride part doesn't do it for me I don’t mind the lion but they should just call them the Tasmanian lions buy far though the best one I seen though was island state warriors that had a real ring to it I’m sure why there so set on Tasmania having to be in the name!

Reply #812841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lions are afl.

Reply #812842 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Might be going a bit early here - do not think it has been announced.....only rumours and some getting stuck in to Larry once again.

Reply #812846 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Don't really follow the difficulty here. There are lots of (seeming) duplications.

How many teams share Phoenix? Seems that as long as something IS different in the name, it's ok!

So if Devils is really popular, just change the Location's name, as in, Van Diemen's Devils instead of Tassie Devils or what-ever they (the AFL) don't have registered.

Why is it not that simple?

Reply #812850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because no one wants to follow a team from Tasmania that is called Van Diemen's anything. That's even simpler for you to comprehend.

Reply #812851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It seems an odd choice to contemplate "Tasmania Wild" when we already have the Perth Wild...cats.

Reply #812852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pride is a major fail. As to Wild. Wolves is just bizarre. May as well be Tropics or Fuzz.

Tasmania Streak or Tassie Ambush. Motif some extinct Tigers.

Reply #812853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tibers is sticking with me for a good reason. Tassie is a timber state. It's the Tassie Lions so I see no conclict with that at all.

Reply #812854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Roar or Freeze

Reply #812856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Tasmania

Reply #812857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Had to be Devils"

“Tasmanian Devils Football Club” was registered by a sole trader in June last year, and “Tassie Devils” was registered by a different sole trader in February this year. Perhaps they were hoping to get paid by people like the AFL and NBL to get the names.

See abr.business.gov.au

Reply #812858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmania Tasmanians - Let's go!

Reply #812870 | Report this post

Tjamu  
Years ago

Pride is no good but a lion logo behind it could toughen it up.
Wild is already an NBL name so don't bother.
Wolves is basic. They should have looked into something more like a Bloodhound, Husky or some other species of Wolf.

Island State Warriors as mentioned above by someone is a blatant rip off, so lets not go in that direction. What would the logo be, I don't think theres many big bridges we can stick on the jersey to plagiarize the GS Warriors look.

Maybe they could look at being a violent species of Shark or something, given that theyre a small island on the bottom of Aus, I dunno.

TL;DR, all the @nbltasmania chosen names are dog shit and fuck ClintDogg lol

Reply #812879 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

The pride feels like a rip off of Queensland/Brisbane Roar and how you associate a word pertaining to lions as the name.

I still think they should go Thylacines, Demons or even giant shellfish.

I think I mentioned I liked Demons and having the giant shellfish as the mascot... I'm not sure I want to see what mascot the pride have as the Kings and Wildcats already have big cat mascots already.

I kinda like the sound of the Island State Warriors and certainly thinks outside the box far more than the simplistic 'it should be Tasmanian devils argument'

I'm sure there are many better names out there so keep thinking NBL.... pleeeeeease

Reply #812882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Timbers, not used by anyone.

Reply #812884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmania MUST be in the same. Likely a condition of the Government contract, presumably from a marketing/promotion perspective (and also a way of emphasising that it is not just a Hobart-based team).

Rules out something like the Island State Warriors.

Reply #812912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tassie Titans for me. Doesn't have any real connection to the state but it's got a nice ring to it.

Reply #812914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like Timbers

Reply #812917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Note how Wildcats is spelt. Wild is OK but I am sure there is better. Timbers.

Reply #812924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The crayfish from Tasmania are excellent. So, I say the Tassie Crayfish. Or Trout - also quite nice and plentiful. Tassie Trouts. Names should be available.

Reply #812936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tap into Tasmania's nautical side...Tasmania Seamen

Reply #812939 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Brewers.

Reply #812940 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Pride is too convoluted for a start. Ok sure, its the collective noun for Lions, but one doesn't automatically associate Lions with Tasmania, so you have to explain it's the British Heraldic symbol that features on the coat of arms.
And yeah, I don't think the organisers of "Tassie Pride" will be happy.

Wild? Wild what? I don't care that it's part of the Wildcats name, but WTF is it actually trying to represent. It's like trying to call a team the "environment" or similar.

Wolves?
Meh
It's not a bad name per se, but it evokes no connection with Tasmania or even Australia, its not an alliteration, and it's not even a catchy name.

Reply #812949 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Tasmanian is home to a number of native Raptors, so what about the "Tasmania Hawks"?

Stick that one up your arse AFL.

Reply #812950 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

The Tasmania Dazzas.

Reply #812951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Sydney Kings redoing their logos, oh yeah they have a Lion as a mascot. So why doesn't Tassie get a Lion as a mascot for the Pride.

The Wolves/Wild/Pride options seem really poor the more you look into it.

Reply #812963 | Report this post

HoBart Simpsons
Tassie Tazers
Franklin River Free Throws
Derwent Dunkers
Tassists
Hobart Help D
Tassie Thylascreens
Tasmania Clutch
Derwent D-Fence
Bass Strait Bounce
Apple Isle Turnovers

Reply #812970 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The Sydney Kings redoing their logos, oh yeah they have a Lion as a mascot. So why doesn't Tassie get a Lion as a mascot for the Pride.

Classic NBL.

Reply #812971 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

a Wildcat isnt exactly native to WA, a Hawk isnt typically found in Illawarra... so the geographical element of the team name doesnt need to apply even of named after an aminal.

Will be hard to name one that is a combination of not cringy, doesnt impede on any IP or copyright and isnt a blatant rip off (eg Island State Warriors)

Good luck :)

Reply #812975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmania Stampede
Tasmania Longhorns
Tasmania Thundering Herd

Reply #812977 | Report this post

Glen  
Years ago

What about a boat or ocean themed name?

You wouldn't use Mariners or Dockers because of the A-league or AFL.

Clippers would have a nice link to races like the Sydney-hobart. But would be a rip off from LA. Any similar basketball or boat themed names?

What about Penguins or Orcas or something like that?

Reply #812978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Tassie Islanders... any objections?

Reply #812979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmania Seafarers
Tasmania Whalers (they had a whaling industry for almost 100 years)

Reply #812980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Tasmania Stampede
Tasmania Longhorns
Tasmania Thundering Herd"
Pass.

Reply #812993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Buccaneers

Reply #813034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmanian bushrangers

Reply #813040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terror

Reply #813042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Islanders

Reply #813044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmania "Its all in the family"

Reply #813045 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

^^^^Bushrangers isn't bad, but maybe nolonger PC?

Reply #813056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a cricket team already.

Reply #813058 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The new NHL team out of Seattle has released their name - Kraken. Say what you will but it is original.

Reply #813160 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"It's a cricket team already."

It WAS, but I take your point.
However most names have been used somewhere before, so it's an interesting debate. How far do you go to avoid using somebody else's name?
Obviously duplicating something in the same league is out, as is generally the same state, but again how far do you take it. Taking on existing register IP is out, as is other major sports.
But what about a name once used by the Tasmanian junior Chess team? Is that fair game?
Just as an examle, how many teams do you reckon there are in the world using the name "Lions" or "Tigers"? Thousands?

IMHO the risk, if you push too hard for originality, is you end up with something like the Dockers. I remember when Freo was entering the AFL, there was naturally a lot of talk and many unofficial polls and competitions. The overwhelming consensus was that it should be a ocean related name, and suggestions such as Mariners, Pirates, Sharks, Dolphins, etc, were popular. Instead they came up with "Dockers" and everyone went "WTF?" It then had to be explained that "Docker" was the original term for a Wharfie. And everyone went "WTF?"
Then they unveiled their symbol, a fucking ANCHOR, and everyone went... Well you get the idea.

At the end of the day, I think that people will get behind the team regardless. But if you really want them buying in, buying and wearing merchandise, and spreading the word, then I think it helps to the branding right. IMHO Tassie faces an extra challenge, to appeal to all Taswegians, north and south, so getting the name and colours right is very important.

Obviously I NFI what resonates with the people of Tasmania, but I just hope that the NBL LISTENS to those people, and not to some committee.

Reply #813164 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Obviously I NFI
Yup.

Reply #813165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor old Kobe. Struggling.

Reply #813192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hobart hoops

Reply #813194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Saw some posts on twitter suggesting they be called the tridents I personally love that name

Reply #813196 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

The Dockers example Dazz is interesting. Actually as original as it might sound, they also their issues with use of the name.

There's a mens fashion label called Dockers. They claimed it was theirs only and legal matters forced the Dockers to only refer to themselves as Fremantle Football Club, and not use the Dockers nickname.

That all changed years ago, and now Freo can use the name Dockers in all their official stuff, but initially they couldnt use that name in their early years.

Reply #813201 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Nostraballmus knows they must be called the Hustle

Reply #813202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tridents linking all 3 areas of Tasmania together. Nice name.

Reply #813207 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Make it Lions, Green/Maroon/Gold as their colours, or would a lion interfere too much with the kings?

Reply #813208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes , Tridents is perfect.

Reply #813210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have suggested Lions since day 1. However if there is to be an alternative and something totally new Tridents is fantastic.
The Lions links with the lion in the flag and the Uni of Tas. Perfect alignment.
The Tassie McKay Timbers is also pretty sweet. Inbuilt sponsor too.

Reply #813211 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

What about the Tassie Tigers, they could get a bunch of members in Melbourne and Gaze as coach

Reply #813219 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Yep I like Tridents

Reply #813222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Peter Tassie Tigers isn't available and Gaze cant' coach.

Reply #813223 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

It was tongue in cheek Anon

Reply #813224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yEAH, nAH.

Reply #813279 | Report this post

Tjamu  
Years ago

Tasmania Periwinkles?

Reply #813350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am sold on Tridents.

Reply #813351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get on the wagon and submit tridents, the more the better. It's a fantastic name.

Reply #813352 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Tassie Twinheads is the only truly identifiable Tasmanian name left really

Reply #813355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not being smart I like the sound of trident but what is a trident?

Reply #813359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Three pronged type fork , google my friend google.

Reply #813362 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Submitted Tridents.

Really like it:

The word "trident" comes from the French word trident, which in turn comes from the Latin word tridens or tridentis: tri meaning "three" and dentes meaning "teeth", referring specifically to the three prongs, or "teeth", of the weapon.

Reply #813365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was the weapon of Neptune and other Greek gods. It's ideal, fantastic.

Reply #813368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Tassie Twinheads" That shit went out in the 80's. Get on board or STFU.

Reply #813375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why does it need to be identifiable, wildlife or even based in reality?

The latest nickname to professional sport is the Kraken (Seattle NHL).

Close to home we have had the Giants, Magic, Titans, Dragons, Blues, Storm, Arrows, Thunder, Spectres. The list goes on.

Reply #813378 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Never stopped being relevant!'

Reply #813380 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

I don't mind Titans from the NBL but if The NBL go with their own names like Wild, Pride, Jackjumpers? Wow just terrible names, great job NBL.....

Reply #813397 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

I prefer simple names like Sharks, Lions, Pirates or Wombats. At least the mascot would be good for the kids. They can't go with a no mascot name and just have a creepy mascot like Carltons. I still don’t even know what Carlton’s mascot is?

Reply #813399 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Nostraballmus suggests that unless they are going to be the Hobart Hoopers-from-Home we wont be seeing them anyway

Reply #813419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WE will be lucky to have an NBL by then.

Reply #813420 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I like Tridents. Not a fan of any of the others I've seen, Pride least of all the 'official' ones I've seen.

Reply #813432 | Report this post

Fairsy  
Years ago

I would go Trailblazers, name suits the mission of the NBL and being the first Tasmanian team in a top level league in any sport since the Devils disbanded in the 90's.

a person who makes a new track through wild country.

a person who is the first to do something; an innovator.

Reply #813454 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Nostraballmus thinks there may already be a team called the TrailBlazers in basketball somewhere ? The Ballmus is not sure, but he thinks they may not be too happy - legally - with the Hobart Hustle stealing their name.

Reply #813512 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Isn't Trailblazers already taken by Portland in the NBA?

Reply #813517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TRIDENTS.

Reply #813521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the votes close tomorrow? Nothing about this from the NBL pretty lame. Also what's happening with the positions they have advertised? NO announcements there either. Will there even be an NBL by then?

Reply #814261 | Report this post

Baller  
Years ago

Still a week to go I think according to their website, but agree been interesting that nothing coming out of HQ

Reply #814314 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:59 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754