AnonNBL1
Years ago

Any News on the QSBL (NBL1 North)

Anyone have info on the QSBL condensed season, what teams involved, players, season length etc.

Topic #47443 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

The old QBL was to become NBL1 North this year, which was cancelled due to COVID-19.

I believe you are referring to QSL (Queensland State League) which is different to NBL1 North?

Reply #812954 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

https://basketballqld.com.au/queensland-state-league-set-to-tip-off-on-august-7/

Reply #812955 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

For the condensed QSL season, which most of the southern NBL1 teams are playing in:

Redlands - McDowall-White brothers, Verle Williams Jnr, Froling

South West - Krebs, Hodgson

Brisbane - Cadee

Maroochydore - Robateau brothers, Jon Jansen

robt could probs add more to his thread in terms of who is playing

Reply #812981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Northern teams were not invited so it is def not NBL1

Reply #812999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Northern teams declined to compete, logistically and financially not feasible to travel for this.

Reply #813003 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

For RipCity:
Nathan Aroussi.
Josh & Izzy Tueta, Louis Ilton, a "Blast from the past??", and Juniors.
Chris Cedar (who had committed to the season-proper, won't be be playing this one, really hope he does for next season). So far that's it.

Reply #813007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really wish BenDoes was still going such a good source to follow the QBL!
Looking forward to seeing how the comp goes without all the travel, Capitals will actually have to win some games rather then rely on playing teams on the third game of a triple header.

Reply #813012 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

G'day, agreed re Bendoes. You and I will just have to bombard this site. They, the rest of the posters/readers, will love that!

Seriously though, looking forward to the real thing, when it happens. Even this mini-comp will be good.

Reply #813021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RobT looking forward to it, hopefully can draw a few people back!
Any idea if the Nothing by Net lads are doing any streaming, they do quite a good job!

Reply #813046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Had been told prior to Covid that BQ was not getting the NBN guys back. So unlikely they return for the condensed season.

Reply #813121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any hopes/ roster info? 7 august should start)

Reply #814250 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Our Queensland interim, state basketball season started last night in SE Queensland (the northern-most teams not included. Having their own comp this season).

I went to the Gold Coast v Sunny Coast Uni Rip game. Obviously great to be back at a game and one worth watching.

Rip won a great contest, 83/75. Both teams were crowded with youngsters who were looking to impress and I for one was very impressed with what most of these up-and-comers brought to the game.

Other game results:
Ipswich 87 / Brisbane 86
Northside 82 / North Gold Coast 71
Logan 109 / RedCity (Redlands) 122

I know it's the 1st game after a long and disruptive break and much too early to predict the season but must say, some strange results.

FYI
Gold Coast, USC RIP, Ipswich, Brisbane and Logan are (will be) in the NBL1
Northside, North Gold Coast and Redlands are (will be) QSBL.

More games today. I will post game results, if there is enough (read: "any") interest.

Reply #814603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for posting Robt. Please continue to post results and anything of interest really. I'm not sure about the Northern teams having their own competition though!

Reply #814617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Being in SA I don't have much to add but please continue to keep us updated Robt no doubt plenty of people like myself who are interested.

Reply #814618 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

SBL in WA could learn from Queensland with their NBL1-QSBL split. There are two tiers of clubs here as well so they should be looking into a similar structure.

Reply #814621 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

2 more from last night:
Toowoomba 80 v Sunny Coast Phoenix 102
Southern Dists 91 v SW Metro 84

Today Rip was to host Toowoomba but the national netball comp has the Uni courts so we play next Friday night (shows as a bye week).

Now, some of you went to some of these games. Tell us (and me) about them.

For those that are wondering why the the northern teams are not included it's simple economics, just not worth the expense ATM. Back in NBL1 next year.

Reply #814641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mcdowell-White

34/12/9

Reply #814642 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Looking through live stats there are so many names I just don't recognise, very likely juniors or (prev) SBL players.

Great to see that during this rather hodge-podge and relatively un-important season, that lots of clubs are giving there "lesser" players a chance at better comp.

Also, and just as great, is to see some teams grab the NBL players who are more avail now than ever before (as a result of civid. They also have to look after themselves during this off season).

So, IMO, it sorta works, either way, for different reasons.

Reply #814654 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Me again. We (Rip) lost tonight to Toowoomba, 77/79. Another good game with the lead always in single figures. Paul Aleer (Toow) was the stand-out with 20pts and a whopping 23 rebounds. Izzy Tueta had a very ordinary night for RIP with just 8 pts. He did have as many assists (as points) and 6 rebs. Oh well, shit happens. Our young bench scored 33, with Elias Cato making 14 of those.

3 more games tomorrow and 3 more on Sunday.

Reply #815311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could only read the headline in the Cairns Post today but it seems some sort of competition between Cairns and Townsville is going to happen.

I think Central Qld also has one at present but don't hear anything about that.

Reply #815651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hancock has impressed me early for RIP RobT, thoughts on him?

Reply #815676 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Touchy to ask me that. They are all my fave sons!! Seriously, Matt came from up north(???know not where). He has slotted in very well. Scores at a handy 43%, not shot-hungry, and boards well. His D is a bonus, so yes, I like his inclusion.

But in all honesty, the youngsters (I call 'em that) have been a revelation. When we put the roster together for next years (true) entry to NBL1, whom do they leave out? You're bringing in 2 imports, (1's decided) & Chris Cedar, hopefully retaining Matt and Tyler (Allen), Izzy, Josh, Louie & Dane. That's 8 + 1 import to add. Not too much room unless you drop Izzy, Josh & Louie (that last statement shows how little I really know!).

Have you watched/seen our games or are you going to stats?

Reply #815689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've mainly been following the live stats, will tune in this week to the stream! I think the Caps will get them by about 10 but should be a good game!

Hancocks a Melb boy (played against him a decent amount) but played QBL a few years back for Gladstone, coming off a bad knee injury last year so glad to see him doing well.
I think that team is a pretty strong local contingent, with a couple solid imports will be a threat next year with Arousi at the helm.

Reply #815736 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Rip v Caps. This week will be tough, no doubt. So be it! I foresee a real belting. But it'll do Bris good to lose occasionally!

Reply #815746 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Thanks for ups, by the way.

Reply #815747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whos stopping M Rocci tonight, Rip women should win big

Reply #815793 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

They tried stopping her and yes, Rip women did win big, 70 to 58. Maddi Rocci's 36 pts, 11 rebs and 3 asts led all stats. But the Caps men more than made up for it with a 92 to 65 thrashing of the home side. Enough about them!

Rips men were literally boys tonight. No Izzy (fracture in a toe) and Josh (fracture in bone in the foot), both from last week's game. Louie had to lead the team with Ty Allen and Matt Hancock the only senior support.

The rest of our bunch are between 16 and 20 years. They did admirably. Special mention for Kai Bloom who played his first senior game (he's the 16 year old) as a last minute call up as Izzy's replacement. He contributed 6 pts @ 60% and a rebound. Elias Cato had a great game with 19 pts, 9 rebs and 2 asts.

Sat we go to Boondal to play North Side. Hoping for a better result there. Won't have the Tueta bros for a couple of weeks at least.

Reply #815854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drmic a huge inclusion for the Spartans RobT, saw he was announced Wk2 and didn't play vs GC thought his deal may have fallen through.
Capitals Women look a lot better then prior years so props to Rocci and co for the Friday win.
I thought the lanky 3 man for RIP looked to have some potential

Reply #816181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like a pretty ordinary standard comp with a sprinkling of good talent here and there.

Reply #816190 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Yeah, that's Elias Cato. Going to college next year so won't be avail for NBL1, most likely.

Other news is that Josh Tueta poss out for the season (broken bone in foot). No more news on brother Izzy's broken toe.

We (Rip) have Pirates this weak. Should be a good hit-out.
Other Games:
Brisbane over Northside
Ipswich over Logan
SC Phoenix over Gold Coast
Southern D's over North Gold Coast

Reply #816191 | Report this post

JJ  
Years ago

At least Qld has a comp #816190

Reply #816197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rocci destroying teams on her own. Ups has been good too.
Certainly need a lot of pgs coming through in opals ranks.

Reply #816198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wnbl needs a brisbane team ASAP.

Just a bunch of qlders
In years to come year eg...

Mangakahia/Cann
Wallace/Goodchild/?
Karatiana/Woods
Froling/Purcell
Ruef/Hannan/Essex

Others...

Reply #816199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

K Purcell still playing for the Spartans? I Haven't seen her in the box scores since week 1.

Reply #816317 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:11 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754