Reply #813052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What at Stamford..child please.

Reply #813053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wow star is a strong statement....

This hawks team might be worse than last years team which is a hard task!

Reply #813054 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A Goorjian style player, I imagine?

Reply #813055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is Goorjian's style? 10 + years since he coached in Oz.

Reply #813057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really smart signing by Illawarra. Shot 40% in the pac 12 and was in the rotation of one of the best defensive teams in the whole of America.

Bit of a sneaky one as I believed he was going to back to college.
Goorj building a great roster and mix of players right now to be competitive plus build into a power team into the future.

I've read and heard about a bunch of kids from Adelaide coming into the NBL in the coming year or 2. Great chance for Adelaide, if they're smart to finally pickup some cheaper local talent and develop them to compete with the big budget teams for a title.

Reply #813059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope he likes running all of a sudden because he was a self centred Prima Donna in Premier League before he went to Stamford to sit on the bench.

Reply #813060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was transferring to Cal Baptist before he got the call from the Hawks. 40% from 3 at 4ppg shows he wasn't really in the rotation and started 13 games over 3 year most early when the team was riddled with injury.

Reply #813061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plumlee next

Reply #813062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He can shoot ,but what else will he bring. Not a smart defender & won't be strong or quick enough in this league

Reply #813063 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

What the hell is Stamford?

Reply #813064 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Don't blame any player leaving college early given situation in the U.S.
Adds to a good rookie class.

Reply #813066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That would be autocorrect KR. Not everyone is perfect

Reply #813067 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Nostraballmus suggests that the white elephant in the room be addressed

Reply #813069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Janx an assistant coach in the Gong?

Reply #813073 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Janx would be #813059 I assume

Reply #813078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

doesnt have the decision making/composure for the 1 spot, doesn't have the size/strength for the 2, stats don’t tell us anything other than what we already know, he shoots, that’s it.
however am glad Adelaide didn’t waste a rotation or DP spot on him, I’d go out on a limb and say I’d perfer Harris

Reply #813079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Word out of the inner circle of Hawks camp is another very good scoring PG with the name White is joining the roster and not McDowell-White. If what I heard is true we will be in for a great addition."

So I guess this was the outcome of that rumour.

Reply #813080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea Harris is really good too.

Not sure if valid comparison between him and White tbh.

He came out of juniors underdone, struggled into mens basketball and then seemed to really kick on with his development one he became a DP with the 6ers.

Definately one to look at.

Reply #813082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

White is a 2, strictly that. Hawks already have Naar, Grida, probably another Aussie guard and hopefully a decent Import guard on that roster ahead of him. End of bench, cheap signing, we'll see him back in the NBL1 next season, Doyle would be a more effective backup point.
Harris and White would be playing for the same position, expect Harris has more versatility to to play/guard the 3 in smaller lineups (not that I ever want to see that), White is a more "statistically" better shooter, but he averaged less than1 3pt make a game through 3 years of college, hardly a shooter, as opposed to Harris, who made just under 3 in the Premier League last year as essentially a 4th option.

Reply #813085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please don't use the word defence and Harris in the same sentence

Reply #813089 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Most likely Goorjian's style is unchanged.
80 percent defence at training.
Frequent subs at games.

Reply #813090 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

.... "That's the style we'll be going forward with."
He told me one time ago.
(Talking onair@5aa)

Reply #813103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't use White and Defense in the same sentence either.
Again, I am just glad Adelaide had the slightest moment of sense and didn’t sign him

Reply #813104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One thing you have to admit is White is a hard worker, just got found out at a high level Div 1 school like all the rest of Jantkes prodigies. He started fantastically in his first few games then as has been mentioned he's a shooting guard in a point guards body. But as what looks now like a terrible team it looks like the best move for him.
But if Koen Sapwell can get a dp spot in Cairns then White looks like Trae Young.

Reply #813105 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

What is Goorjian's style?

Sludgeball.

Reply #813111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not the biggest fan of Isaac, however gotta give him props for working hard and being signed by The Hawks.

Something that 99% of people posting haven't accomplished - playing Div 1 basketball and playing professionally.

Isaac’s game is most suited to an up tempo style - will be interesting to see how The Hawks play.

Reply #813116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The nbl has fallen away badly this hawks roster looking terrible right now!

This dude avg 4ppg and hardly saw the floor wow this could be a year of towel waiving work for mr white

Reply #813117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But if you put Harris in same situation at Stanford would he do any better, would get outmuscled on defence all game. And only spot up shooter as well there.

Reply #813120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He can shoot, so teams will recruit players like Isaac. Intelligent enough to get a scholarship at Stanford. This appeals to coaches!!!
To win game,White over Glover, Grida any day.

Reply #813123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^thanks Jantke

Reply #813127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one on here is denying he can shoot, all the YouTube shooting drill videos from Jantke show that. But I have zero confidence in him being even a moderate level player in this league.
And yeah coaches like the academic stuff, its always nice to have the booksmart guys on the end of the bench to help keep the team GPA up.
Also absolutely not. Grida and Naar are proven players in this league now, they both came into the league with more credentials, and have proved they belong absolutely. I'd much rather have that backup combo can Dillion/Teys.
My player comparison, White and Erik Burdon, both spot-up shooters, with shaky defence and handles (though Erik’s became sufficient over time), but ultimately undersized and not strong enough to play their natural positions in the NBL.
White absolutely could go into have a good, even great, NBL1 career (re Burdon, Tom Daly, ect) with maybe an occasional call-up, but ultimately thats what my forecast is for him.

Reply #813129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*also Glover ^

Reply #813130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some "interesting" comparisons for sure and more "interesting" comments for sure too. I'd compare him more to a modern version of Shane Heal. Think about it.

I'm not sure Eze had dropped 20 pts on UNC or 15 on Kansas or 20 odd points on Bayern Munich etc by the time he was 21. Let's also not forget he was averaging almost 15 mins a game in a college that was set to go deep in the NCAA tournament this year, so the pundits have said. He was only a junior at that point too.

Harris is real good now. Legit chance to play NBL if he sticks at it. Out of juniors he was in the shadows of these guys like Isaac that played ahead of him and he would not have been anywhere a high major prospect out of High School. He got better once Joey Wright gave him the opportunity he got and worked on his game with him A LOT. Plus of course all the S&C work etc etc Mike has been doing.

Eze could have played NBL if given the opportunity too I believe.

The path is complex one to navigate and so many decision points and you can't stop growing along the way or you will get passed by.

Reply #813132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shane Heal? Shane Heal? Your comparing a kid who's only averaged 4ppg over 3 year against college kids, to the guy who averaged 15ppg as an 18 year of rookie against grown men? Your comparing arguably the greatest shooter Australia as every produced, who was an Olympian by the same age, to a kid who’s had more than twice as many 0 point games, as he did double figure games. I don’t need to think about, I’d laugh about, the comparison doesn’t work.
There is not comparative aspect, Heal was a point guard, there was no doubt that he belonged in the league and would do better, if was also clear that he could lead a team in his rookie year, hence the ROY. By White’s age, Heal was averaging 20 and 7, and again, AN OLYMPIAN. I’m at a loss as to that comparison.

And I don’t know what "pundits" your referring too, Sanford had already lost their 1st round conference tournament game (Against California no less!) before everything collapsed. Oregon, UCLA, USC , both Arizona’s, and Colorado all at better records, and stronger schedules. Stanford weren’t 1st in conference, had an average record and schedule, and couldn’t have been conference champs. So I have to ask in what world would Stanford receive a tournament bid before any of those teams?

Eze did has is opportunities in the NBL, 3 years with Adelaide,1 with Perth. 51 games worth of opportunity on the end of a bench, which ultimately lead to a very nice SEABL/“NBL1” career, and how I very much see White’s career fading into. I still think Eze is the best currently comparison to him.

Reply #813133 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Not sure what Gorj's style has evolved into since he's been out of the league but I certainly remember his style when he was in Sydney. Winning. Winning was his style. For some reason other teams fans didn't seem to enjoy his style. But as a Kings fan at the time I loved his style. Winning style.

Reply #813136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Many Sydney fans didnt enjoy his style either because crowd numbers dwindled during his time there.

Reply #813137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time will tell.
Just on 1 year

Reply #813138 | Report this post

Under a Rock  
Years ago

I think current comparisons would be Adnam and Bruce. That's the level of player I think he'll be, an impact player coming from 7-9 on the bench

Reply #813158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, pretty much Adnam with poorer handles but better shooter.

Reply #813159 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

agree, never liked Goorj's smart casual style. That's why I stopped going.

Reply #813161 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Someone forgot their third person reference.

Reply #813162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's getting too easy to spot Jantke posts these days, comparing White to Heal but also being able to suck up to Joey and giving him credit for Harris.
Just wait for his North kid highlights on Facebook now!

Reply #813180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i wonder if one day the 36ers make it their mission to retain local talent

Reply #813206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You only retain local talent if it's actually up to standard

Reply #813213 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

How do you retain someone who hasn't played for you.

Reply #813217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He means retain and Adelaide local

Reply #813218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gotta love all the consistent Jantke haters lining up on here..pompous connected parents bitter cause their kid wasnt good enough & they couldn't ass kiss or buy a spot in one of his teams so they pot shot him in the shadows. He must be doing something right.
Keep doing your thing Jantke, great talent ID & tireless development & effort for your players.
I’m sure Guys like White would be very grateful for your help with his career.

Reply #814385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is White, Kevin's brother?

Reply #814395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gotta love all the consistent Jantke lovers lining up on here..pompous connected parents loving it cause their kid was good enough & they could ass kiss and buy a spot in one of his teams so they worship him in the shadows. He must be doing something right.
Keep doing your thing Jantke, great talent ID, going to best talent age groups & tireless self promotion & effort for your website.
I'm sure Guys like White would be very grateful for your help with his career, despite him doing all the hard work himself.

Hilarious that people still think he is main reason his teams win. They're already stacked with talent and if a better option presents itself he jumps. Would have way way more respect if he goes to a club that is struggling and builds their culture and talent instead of it handed to him on a plate. And still claims credit for kids from other clubs that he only has limited time with. If you even think for a second the only reason White has succeeded was because of Jantke you're seriously deluded, it was his own hard work and dedication that has him where he is.

Reply #814402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strange that I have never heard of him. I know he hasn't heard of me, but whom ever he is should be well known around Aussie b'ball circles? Who is he and what are his credentials? PLease let me know.

Reply #814417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow 402. Sound jealous much?

Reply #814422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So being "stacked with talent" is the only factor in achieving success?? SA Metro Boys had an absolute dream team in the Nationals a couple of years ago....they finished 8th. The Coach of that team got promoted to Head of High Performance!!! Haha! Work that one out! Jantke should be in that role every day of the week.
That's the problem with the game here...Boys club looking after their own...little Johnny can’t catch the ball but Daddy’s a CEO so get him in the div1...farcical.
Jantke is slowly breaking down all that corrupt crap... he knows what type of players he is looking for..competitors with manic workrate & desire to improve & he consistently develops them for big national/international opportunities...happens too often for it to be a fluke.
The success his teams & players achieve is forcing change & that’s a great thing for SA Basketball.

Reply #814469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for posting Jantke

Reply #814471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jantke go to a club like Mavs and build a program, then the self promotion will be warranted.

Reply #814472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think we can blame the coach of the team 2 yrs ago for that result, he was a victim of circumstance, did his best and contributed to the athlete's journeys. The players in that group have also gone onto learn from the experience and are collectively doing very, very well. The new HP is an outstanding administrator, systems guy and smart enough to surround himself with good guys that can coach. Whilst it has a long way to go to being great, the HP program is vastly improved now. We should all be appreciative of the work being done in that space.

Having said that, let's get some perspective. We are facing a world-wide pandemic and I think if the kids across the state just get a full season we are going to be VERY LUCKY. None of this other rubbish about Jantke or anything else really matters right now.

Yea good point re: Isaac not being a Shane Heal. I should have said more like Patty. Yea, that's a better comparison ;P

Reply #814481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Outstanding administrator systems Guy??? Huh? Surely you want Phil Jackson running your High Performance, not Jerry Krause.

Reply #814513 | Report this post

Jock  
Years ago

Being academic and having an IQ is one thing, but having the skill and ability to rough it up with the big boys is another!

A lot of doors were opened up for kids like Isaac White and others locally (and you know who they are) by the likes of Jantke and the rest of his posse. But where are they now? Some have dropped out of their college commitments or couldn't hack it, or simply weren't as good as they thought...

Reply #820457 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:20 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754