anon.
Years ago

Beston/Greenway pod: Is Goulding the best Aussie in the NBL?

One of them suggested Goulding is STILL the best Australian in the NBL...

Am I the only one who is sick of this narrative? Goulding hasnt been a 'great' player for a few years now.

Wondering who you all think the best Australian player in the NBL is right now?

(**obviously there is Creek but have we got anyone else?)

Topic #47456 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding is still good but best, lol.

Kay was last seasons best Australian player. He and his mate Cotton were unstoppable

Reply #813366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He definitely wasn't last year.
Kay, Creek and probably Johnson had him covered.
Subtract Kay this coming year but add Adel and possibly others. If McCarron has a good year, and Brandt joins as the rumours say, he might not even be the best Australian on his own team

Reply #813369 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I thought Creek was the best Aussie in the NBL last season but surely anon you realise radio shows/podcasts want to put out a controversial headline to get people talking about their show?

Reply #813370 | Report this post

Big Country  
Years ago

I think you answered your own question by throwing up Creek as the alternative.

From a purely scoring perspective in the season just gone.
Creek 20ppg
D Johnson 18
Goulding 17
Sobey 16
Kay 15
Blanchfield 13

Creek and Kay are the obvious ones (Kays now gone). Given the amount of other offensive options United have had on their team and who he has had to battle to get shots up you could mount a case that Goulding stacks up as well as any other Aussie.

Reply #813371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay and Bogut were the best the last two seasons respectively. Deng Adel should be up there next season, as will Creek.

Obviously if Cotton naturalizes he will be the best.

Reply #813372 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Come on.

Creek - 20.2p, 7.3r, 3.1a, 1.1s @ 48% fg (35% 3p)

Goulding - 17.0p, 2.1r, 2.3a, 0.9s @ 41% fg (39% 3p)

That's a big gulf, Goulding's not even the best Aussie in Melbourne.

Reply #813373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Obviously if Cotton naturalizes he will be the best." Why?

Reply #813374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ummm, because he's better at basketball than the others?

Reply #813376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why does points automatically suggest you are the best player?

Reply #813381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do these kind of threads actually equate to 'views' for Beston & Greenaway?

Reply #813384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Liz will be at the illegal black lives matter rally tomorrow you can count on it hahahaha so unlikely

Reply #813385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not sure why some people insist on rating Deng Adel so high. He got to play a few NBA games because a team took a punt based on his physical tools and some raw potential, but hasn’t actually shown much.
At least with him in the NBL we’ll know whether or not he’s one of the best Aussies!

Reply #813386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry wrong thread

Reply #813387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a bunch of hacks trying to promote their shitty podcast this way

Reply #813393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep Adel looks the goods but let's see it happen first.

Reply #813394 | Report this post

Sourbroker  
Years ago

Karl Beston - the biggest star farker in Australia. Bogut could be caught committing cold murder and he'd find a way to absolve him. Carries a mouth guard and shin pads at all times on the chance he’ll bump into him.

Reply #813396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, surprised people listen to this podcast. For me, better sources for quality are:

1. Official NBL Podcasts
2. NBL Pocket Podcast
3. Aussie Hoopla

Reply #813398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not even joking, I've never heard of Beston and Greenway.

Reply #813400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone must listen hence the thread.

Reply #813401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No it's Beston posting the thread

Reply #813404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ran out of puff following the World Champs. Up until then, definitely. Now, not so sure but is still in the discussion.

Reply #813406 | Report this post

Midrange  
Years ago

Feel bad for Creek. Deserves to be playing finals. Hopefully SEM can get it right this season.

Reply #813416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek is certainly up there as one of the best aussies as is Goulding so probably a matter of prospective.

Reply #813417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's certainly best at taking the most selfish shots and not defending, rebounding or any thing else that may help his teammates

Reply #813418 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Sobey is better, Goulding was once better but not anymore

Sobey Can Shoot Sobey can get in the Lane Sobey can defend and sobey is a lot more athletic, if I was picking a side right now sobey is picked well ahead of Goulding as is creek, Kay, Daniel Johnson

Reply #813421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey is certainly in the convo thou as the top 3/4 are all pretty good and teams certainly need top 5 Aussie talent to win the league as has been shown over the journey.

the biggest key to winning the NBL is the local talent, you need 2/3 top 10 Aussies on your roster to win the league and the imports then fit around them.

Reply #813422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Karl Beston was a rippin bloke when he was younger. A poor man's hooper, but I am not sure why these guys get any airtime. His opinions are outrageous bordering delusional at times.

Reply #813423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aussie Hoopla is where I go for my basKKKetball news.

Reply #813424 | Report this post

Who?  
Years ago

Who is Beston and who is Greenway? What currency do they have in the game?

Reply #813427 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Going on current overall ability, success and flaws in their game.

1. Kay - good scorer, good defender, hard worker, good passer, championship winner, added the 3pt to his game, makes his teammates better. No flaws?
2. Creek - good scorer, good defender, good passer, hard worker, made the cut to the NBA briefly, makes his teammates better. Dumped from Boomers due to attitude? No consistent outside shot. Can go missing at times?

Then you have Bogut/DJ and Goulding/McCarron/Sobey after that. These guys have more flaws than the top 2 above I feel. All can go missing, some don't work as hard especially when things aren't going their way.

Reply #813430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There must be a different Sobey than the one I see cost Adelaide and Brisbane games, reasonable player, not in top ten though. Turn overs down the stretch and trying to win the game with iso ball doesn't make you top of the tree, his side rarely play finals as well.

Reply #813433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you're into it and want to hear the biggest suck job in history listen to the Beston Greenway episode with Paul Smith, they cant get enough of any bs he comes out with and slurp it all up.
They are desperate to be corporate big dogs though so I guess it makes sense.

Reply #813437 | Report this post

anon.  
Years ago

..... ok so just Creek then? maybe Sobey but not really?

And apparently no one likes the podcast... but Beston was a nice kid?

Think I am all caught up.

Reply #813442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have only listened to one episode of their podcast. It felt like a name dropping love fest so I didn't bother again.

Aussiehoopla is probably the better NBL podcasts going around. Although full of ads but you can't blame them. That's the name of the game.

Reply #813449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aussiehoolpa now plugging there podcast! Great job boys! Perhaps get some listeners so people will post and respond about what you are talking about!

Reply #813501 | Report this post

anon.  
Years ago

Dude, I have 0 clue what you are talking about.
I am neither Beston or Greenway, I was just trying to have a basketball/NBL conversation surrounding some stuff I heard on their pod.

And as for Hoopla, its fine. It aint the best NBL podcast, in my opinion, that would be the NBLpocketpodcast. Hoopla is a great spot for interviews as the dude obviously has great connections, but thats about it.

'whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaats up hooooooooooops tragicssss and we have some great stuff for your hoops loving ear holes...'

Reply #813505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoopla went rubbish. The chick they had writing all her political bs (not sure if still there)Had me switch off. I use to be a fan in the early days

Reply #813526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The chick that wrote one piece on Boguts view on transgender people? It was a fair opinion piece, something mainstream media avoids with Bogut. He's a bloody numpty.

Reply #813529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay best last year, but a fit Bogut changes the game significantly. If he was fit second half of year and playoffs can see that Kings would have won it.

Reply #813534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know anything about the podcast but Aussie Hoopla "employs" an out and out racist to write for them.

Reply #813546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah, did no one else see the slur he made on facebook after the yudai baba signing?

Reply #813547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Na didn't see it. What was it?

Reply #813550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What who are you calling racist and what proof do you have of that statement?

Reply #813578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should get a Hoops Forum podcast going. That'll be interesting

Reply #813604 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I want a full season of Xavier Cooks and make a judgment on just how good he is, I've liked aspects of his game but is he an out and out star or just playing a role?

Reply #813879 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:28 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754