PyroCross
Years ago

South East Melbourne sign Yanni Wetzell

https://nbl.com.au/news/sem-phoenix-sign-yanni-wetzell

Flavell brings the goods again - another North Shore product heading to Melb.

Import / Pineau
Creek / Wetzell
Te Rangi / Stephens
Gliddon / Gibson
Import / Adnam

Surprised to have Wetzell and Pineau both be bench bigs for this season - definite difference in their respective games, I just see Wetzell as a 5 rather than a 4/5.

They're definitely putting a large burden on Te Rangi's shoulders here at the starting wing spot - perhaps too much?

Topic #47459 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

Agree. They could cover for Te Rangi if they had a good enough set of 1-2 guards e.g Play Gliddon at the 3 where required.

But you don't want to be relying on the likes of Gibson and Adnam to pick up a lot of minutes at the 2. Yikes.

Overall a pretty disappointing team even with quality imports.

Reply #813444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pineau's obviously going to be starting & they’ll pick up an import athletic 4.

Reply #813445 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Can see Stephens getting some time at backup 2 spot.

Reply #813448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can you elaborate Macdub on why you don't think SEM can have success with Adnam and Gibson logging a lot of (not sure your definition of a lot, 10? 15?) minutes at the 2?

There’s obvious an import PG to come. But, Adnam backup PG plus rotating into the two and vice versa for Gibbo, with Gliddon, Stephens, Terangi and Creek all able to rotate the 3 plus play minutes at the 2 (Gliddon) or 4 (creek, terangi). Plus, another import spot, am guessing a big to replace Wesley.

I think they’re shaping up pretty well. I think Pineau starting isn’t a problem, he had to play too many minutes last season. Now with the addition of Wetzell, he’ll get more of a chop out.

Reply #813464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Over hyped Kiwi...BUST

Reply #813466 | Report this post

Jeff  
Years ago

Not sure I agree that it is underwhelming line up. There is more hype on Jack White and Issac White. The research suggests that his achievements and involvement with Tall Blacks point to that this maybe a coup. I like his versatility and the way the roster is looking balanced.

BTW the comments on Adam and Gibson above show a lack of respect for what both of those guys can do for teams.

Reply #813470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dreaming, but...

(I)/6'1 K.Adnam/6’2 A.Gibson
6’6 C.Gliddon/(NS)/6’4 W.Hickey(DP)
6’6 R.Te Rangi/6’7 K.Stephens
6’5 M.Creek/6’10 Y.Wetzell
6’11 J.Landale/6’9 D.Pineau/7’1 J.Perry(DP)

Reply #813471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good signing. He looks like he will be a 5 in the NBL not really a 4.

Reply #813472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

11ppg and 6rpg on a top 5 college, Tall Blacks squad. NBA workouts. How is that bust? Amazing how many keyboard warriors are on here, actually watch him play, then you'll see.
Arguably the best college returner after Vasiljevic

Reply #813474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is he a centre or pf

Reply #813475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pf/c

Reply #813476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's 75 percent of Magnay.

Reply #813477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They needed a better centre than Pineau who's shown he is a nice bench guy but if you want to win can't be your starter so they hoping this guy can be.

Reply #813479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is Pledger and AJ finished in the nbl

Reply #813489 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

This season is going to be a great watch.
Hopefully everyone can play injury free and Covid can piss off.

Reply #813499 | Report this post

Jeff  
Years ago

They still have an import 5 to fill. Wetzell is a NZL so treated as a local, Stephens is a local and Te Rangi is a local. Do you suggest they will recruit an Import 3?

Reply #813500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great signing, on potential alone this kid looks like he's got a bright future ahead of himself. SEM will need an import 1 and 5 to have any chance of competing this season. Hopefully, Greer can turn things around this year because last season's roster was disappointing.

Reply #813503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adnam nah. Gibbo every year getting slower.

Reply #813507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kid has a bright future, he only started playing formal basketball when he was 17.

As an aside, Te Rangi is not a North Shore product.

Reply #813509 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Sem gets wetzill

Nzb gets trust

Ummmm..

Reply #813514 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I would think Creek would be wanting to spend more time at the 3 to keep his NBA aspirations alive next to Pineau and an import 5 (or Wetzell, depending on how good he is). Te Rangi best used as first forward off the bench.

Reply #813525 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:09 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754