HD
Years ago

Shooting percentage

Looking for a general indication of the differential you would expect to see between training / uncontested shooting percentage versus a game for u14/16 kids (both 2pnt jump shot / 3pnt). Understand it will in large part depend on the ability of the individual to deal with the contest / pressure, but any views based on studies or general knowledge appreciated. Thanks heaps!

Topic #47461 | Report this topic

Joseph Campbell  
Years ago

Most simply (some may want to complicate):

At and above 50% jump shots at training for that age group is good.

I'd expect/be happy with 30-40% shooting at games (2pt jump shots)

With 3pters, I expect 33% at trainings and games. If they're consistent at trainings and games then I'd say they're a 'good shooter'. I guess I'd accept 25% at games if they literally went 1 of 4. 2 of 8 is not a good look and probably led to a change of possession. Unless your team dominates o-boards, then green light 'em!!

Reply #813531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I could not disagree more with this statement - U14/U16 in a game from the 3 point line (boys? Girls?) if they are shooting above 30% sign them up. Ray Allen and Reggie Miller Rank all time NBA 3 point shooters shot at 40% and 39% so if you can find a 15 year old that can shoot near this then he is superstar.
From a 2 point spot look at your local senior comp - The best in your local comp shoot around 50% (incl layups).

My rule is
Layups dominate hand U14 up 9 out of 10
Weak hand 7-8 out of 10
then number start to drop the further you go back.

Reply #813580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^you seriously compared the defense of the NBA to u14/6? bruh

Reply #813586 | Report this post

HD  
Years ago

Thanks for your comments.

Reply #813733 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Nostraballmus thinks this is some truly high level analytics

'Layups dominant hand U14 up 9 out of 10
Weak hand 7-8 out of 10
then number start to drop the further you go back.'

Nostraballmus thanks you for your razor sharp insight

Reply #813748 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

At that u14-u16 junior level you probably looking around 30% in games from shooting 15ft and out as a 2 point fg as being pretty good. To get that the players need to be around 50% in shooting drills in training. 3 point percentages are lower again. I've coached that level successfully many times, personally I worry much less about the stat numbers than reading what is the best shot by ball movement, fitness and defense. Defense and fitness will win you games and championships with better than average talent. The fitter they are the better %’s they shoot in games for numerous reasons.

Comparing to nba? Well Larry Bird once said what he considers a good shooter is one that once warm and ready can hit 60-70 in a row from 15-18 feet in practice shooting drills. This is light years away from u14-u16 juniors no matter who they are.

Reply #813770 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:36 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754