Years ago

Obi departure... 36ers 2nd Import.

Obi Kyei is set to depart the 36ers, which is set to be announced later in the year. The decision was mutual as Obi has been offered a 3 year deal on another team. Wow I'd guess the Kings, however I saw a post saying Melbourne on hoops?

36ers will sign a second import and have agreed to terms with Jaren Lewis who last played for Schwenningen in the German Pro A.

Anyone know much about that league? Is he a decent get or is this an import likely to play limited minutes or role play?

This leaves the Sixers looking like

Mack/Giddey/Dillon
Dech/Teys/Mudronja
McVeigh/Lewis
Johnson/Pinder
Humphries/Johnson?

Topic #47463 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide 36ers-Henry

6'3 S.Mack(I)/6’7 J.Giddey(NS)/6'5 A.Mudronja
6’5 S.Dech/6’4 D.Dillon
6’6 J.Lewis(I)/6’4 B.Teys
6’11 D.Johnson/6’8 J.Mcveigh
7’0 I.Humphries/6’9 K.Pinder

DP
6’5 M.Harris SG

Have to assume they are after a pf or c dp or getting rid of another like teys or Dillon for Aussie/kiwi big.

Reply #813597 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm not sure replacing Kyei with a shooting guard is the way to go. The roster is already too guard heavy as it is needs to be a big if not an import just a local.

Reply #813598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if Asian import counts as another roster spot.

Reply #813599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks I'm guessing for kyei

Reply #813600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Dillon decided to retire and it's...

Adelaide 36ers-Henry
6’3 S.Mack(I)/6’7 J.Giddey(NS)/6'5 A.Mudronja
6’5 S.Dech/6’4 B.Teys
6’6 J.Lewis(I)/6’8 J.Mcveigh
6’11 D.Johnson/PF/C (open)
7’0 I.Humphries/6’9 K.Pinder

DP
6’5 M.Harris SG

Reply #813601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its a rumour ffs.

Reply #813605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was a Comets junior and is known to Jacob(Assistant Coach) through juniors and would play in their Youth League Mens teams when he was home from college.

Reply #813606 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It may technically be a rumour but if an NBL employee like Liam Santamaria is saying it you can treat it as legit as he only ever says stuff that he knows for a fact is happening.

At the end of the day Kyei was a starter here last season with the signing of Humphries he knew he was going to be demoted to the bench this season and with only one year remaining on his contract with the Sixers if another team offered him a multi-year deal with the chance of starting it would be silly to pass it up.

Reply #813607 | Report this post

Looking Forward  
Years ago

Great to see that Teys is still growing.

Reply #813610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pro A is about nbl1 standard possibly slightly better. Dion Prewster played there after his kings stint. Marcus Thornton has signed in pro A for this coming season. It's ok but not nbl standard.

Reply #813611 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

How much later in the year would Obi announcement be made?
Sounds like more rumours, If he is going elsewhere wouldn't that announcement be imminent.

Reply #813612 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Great to see that Teys is still growing.

Ha that anon always gets the players heights wrong. Teys is 6'2.5" so 6'2" or 6'3" is acceptable 6'4" however is not.

Reply #813613 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

There are aspects of this that does not make sense.

Obi was a starter last year, wants to continue being a starter but could be replaced by Humphries or Import 4 or Pinder.....OK.

Then why is he going to Melbourne?

Melbourne United won't want to downgrade from a Shaun Long, to Obi starter.

SEM may put Obi as starter but then they'd be no better off than having Pineau there.

Decision was mutual would mean the Sixers also had no place for Obi? I find that hard to believe, I think it is 90% on Obi wanting to leave.

Reply #813614 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

LB, the anon OP is writing this clearly from a Sixers insider perspective hence name dropping a potential 2nd import. They're trying to get on the front foot about Kyei's departure hence calling it 'mutual' oh and btw "we're probably going to sign an import SG to replace him". Just sounds like the usual bone headed stuff from the Sixers admin.

The rumour is not Kyei going to Melbourne it's the Hawks or Sydney. The Melb part is probably his agent trying to create a market for him to ramp up his price.

Reply #813617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's been training at kings, but so have a few hawks players and others.

Reply #813618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL lists teys as 192cm 6'4, wiki he’s 6’2 188cm.

If Kyei goes to hawks... I still don’t think he starts as I don’t see Bairstow as solely a 6’9 Centre.
They were close to getting mathiang but he’s playing in Europe. Maybe continuing with Ogilvy.

(I)/6’1 E.Naar
6’4 T.Harvey(I)/6’2 I.White/6’6 D.Grida
6’7 D.Adel/6’8 D.Deng
6’9 C.Bairstow/6’9 O.Kyei
C/6’11 S.Froling

Harvey looks more of a jack it up sg over a run the show pg so I put him at the 2.

A couple of solid next stars pfs about also.

Reply #813619 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Zodiac, Sydney may not make much sense either. Hawks do.

Obi isn't start quality for a contender just yet. Sydney will want an NBL 1st teamer level for their 4 man plus Cooks at the 5. Bogut may even come back.

I'd be happy if the replacement is DJ Newbill who can cover the 3, bring defensive hardness to the team and McVeigh may have to do spurts at the 4 if small ball is in Henry's repertoire.

Reply #813620 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

A speculative thread in other words.

Reply #813621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remember kyei saying something about missing he's family and friends in nsw.

Reply #813622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if he goes to the hawks i guess tim coenarrd has retired

Reply #813623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lewis who looks like a poor mans Mitch Creek on film is a good defender and I reckon will spend time at the 4 over McVeigh, given his strength and rebounding. His height is 199cm which is SF/PF in the NBL. Don't think he will play heavy minutes though.

Sixers are fine with the rotation of 3 bigs.

Reply #813625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ware(I)/Bruce
Vasljevic/Glover
Louzada(NS)/Newley
Cooks/Moller
Plumlee(I)/Hunter

Reply #813629 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Zodiac, Sydney may not make much sense either. Hawks do.

I agree Hawks make more sense but if you're really only in the frame with one team it's always best if your agent brings a second team into the picture so they think their is competition. I can't imagine the Kings would be a great situation for him other than he's from Sydney and maybe a multi-year deal on offer. He would likely get more opportunity at the Hawks even if they do sign Bairstow.

Any situation is likely to be a step up on what he would be facing at the Sixers this season. DJ & Humphries locked in as starters no possible chance of starting, he would've known with DJ re-signing for 3 years and Humphries allegedly highest paid Aussie in the league that at least one of those two guys will be on the floor at all times and then the Sixers go and sign Keanu Pinder on top of it.

Reply #813630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes think Lewis and Mcveigh will both play some 3 and 4.

Reply #813631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dech will also be playing some 3 with Giddey at the 2.

Reply #813633 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Lewis who looks like a poor mans Mitch Creek on film is a good defender and I reckon will spend time at the 4 over McVeigh, given his strength and rebounding. His height is 199cm which is SF/PF in the NBL. Don't think he will play heavy minutes though.

He's 6'7" and the position he plays is shooting guard. Sure he might be able to come up to SF but he won't be able to go up to PF. McVeigh as the back up PF wouldn't be great either.

Reply #813634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mack 1
Mudronja 1
Dillon 1-2
Giddey 1-2-3
Teys 2-3
Dech 2-3
Lewis 3-4
Mcveigh 3-4
Pinder 4-5
Johnson 4-5
Humphries 5

Reply #813635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's highlights show he plays pf in Germany sometimes.

Reply #813637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United just had some spots open up.

Reply #813638 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Brutal lol

Reply #813640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So he's Australian?

Reply #813683 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Yes, born in Australia and is a dual Australian-British citizen.

Reply #813684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he'll play for gb if they know of him.

Reply #813689 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Still don't think Adelaide can make the playoffs granted some rosters are not complete.

Reply #813691 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Agree looks unlikely at this stage but a second import might straighten us up.

Reply #813692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet another fake news story to go along with the Machado one.

Obi is staying out for the season.

Reply #813696 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Sitting out despite being under contract to the Sixers?

Reply #813698 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

When Liam santamaria talks we listen intently

Reply #813707 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Looks like Lewis played well in their NCAA tournament loss to Kentucky. Blocked Tyler Herro a couple of times and put up at least 17 pts. Looks like an undersized power forward, but he's a good athlete. Could be okay if he can play some good D. Would obviously prefer a guy like Newbill though!

Reply #813713 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

He has been seen training with the Kings

Reply #814033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why not a player swop Newley for Obi

Reply #814035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newley loves Sydney, he's very settled in a lovely suburb.

Reply #814037 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I wasn't an Obi fan. That's just me, for I liked Eric griffin.
Wouldn't mind David Anderson.
Would expect improvement in Obi if Goorjian coaches him.

Reply #814215 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:20 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754