The Spider
Years ago

BWA West Coast Classic

Why are some clubs allowed to play import/restricted players? I thought BWA - SBL stated the comp would be without these players. Seems like some clubs have adhered and others not. Not a fair competition.

Topic #47484 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Years ago

Nobody ever stated that. It was rumoured a few months ago but they've never said anything officially.

I believe it's limited to WA residents, so imports who live here outside of SBL commitments are eligible to play.

Reply #814244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are no rules. It's not an SBL competition it’s basically a glorified domestic comp

Reply #814246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

clubs willing to pay those perth-based Americans were more than welcome to. They are literally playing for nothing.

Reply #814249 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

As opposed to a normal SBL season where they play for...what, exactly?

Reply #814251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ The SBL championship, you numpty.

Telling someone you won the WCC will be no different to telling them you won wednesday night b grade.

Winning the SBL championship is clearly different to that.

Reply #814255 | Report this post

Annonn  
Years ago

Is anyone actually aware of clubs paying players - or are you just making assumptions.

If I was an import who needs to find a next contract - I would want to stay match fit and play for free - rather than sit on my ass and do nothing.

Reply #814257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Telling someone you won the WCC will be no different to telling them you won wednesday night b grade

Spoken like a true spud that in the midst of a pandemic, still couldn't even clamour a roster spot on a WCC team. Plenty of perth academies around to help you get better for your real season next year :)

Reply #814266 | Report this post

Baller  
Years ago

Out of the 100 odd Academies in Perth, how many of them are actually worth anything development wise? Alot of them seem like nothing more than pure money making ventures with little to no REAL development being done aside from maybe improving little Johnny's shooting form or teaching little Jenny how to dribble with her weak hand a bit better. The fact that one of the more popular Academy's in this city is actually run by a guy who has purely a S&C background and nothing in the way of basketball qualifications or playing history, it says alot for the 'value' parents are willing to pay for

Reply #814274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The fact that one of the more popular Academy's in this city is actually run by a guy who has purely a S&C background and nothing in the way of basketball qualifications or playing history, it says alot for the 'value' parents are willing to pay for"

There are a some around run by players who cant even get a gig with a WCC team. Scary

Reply #814275 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

But if you watch basketball trainers on YouTube, you don't have to have any experience just copy what they do!

Reply #814285 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Anyway, back to the WCC.....

Reply #814623 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

koberulz got called a numpty. Be nice fellas. He has his insecurities and likes to type while holding his grammer checker security blanket but he is a great guy.

Reply #814661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4 rounds in, what do people think so far? Is there going to be end of season awards at all?

Reply #814817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thoughts so far

its great to see basketball back and people getting around it.

well done to BWA to get WCC off the ground and provide an avenue for senior players to get back on the court

Malek from Giants is the front runner for MVP right now. He probably should be on an nbl roster somewhere with his size and skill set.

Elliott from Senators Rookie of the Year (I know in SBL they dont acknowledge a Rookie of the Year but it doesnt mean we cant haha)

Senators are my pick to win it
Hawks runner up

Matt Parsons coach of the year

Reply #814828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks runner up? Pull your head in, they got smashed by the young kids at lakeside a couple of weeks ago

Reply #814835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Gavin for your incessant Elliott love

Reply #814837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, Mayo Malek would certainly hold his own against some of the stiffs found on some NBL rosters last season. He was a Taipans DP at once stage I think, but ended back at Toowoomba before heading to the Giants. Not as wide as Majok Majok but taller, has range, and a better skillset. Nothing against Majok, but the Wildcats would be no worse off if it was Malek instead of Majok.

Reply #814842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks did get smashed by Lakeside but not entirely young kids when you consider Ferguson has 3 years at a D1 college under his belt, with Michael Vigor who is a pro level player and played in international competition, Corey Shervill who has 3 years at one of the best D2 college programs in the country under his belt and Rowan Mackenzie who is one of the best up and comers in the league and also off a red shirt year in college at a very good D2. Josh Davey also back from freshman year at same D2 College as Mackenzie. Palleschi into his 4th-5th season now so not exactly a kid.

Hawks then smashed Redbacks the next game who had Tevin Jackson and Caleb White both who have had D1 college careers and Dennis Tawhiti who is a veteran big.

Hawks also sit on top of the ladder at 5-1 and have the best coach in the league so maybe its not the most outrageous claim after all?

Reply #814869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks did get smashed by Lakeside but not entirely young kids when you consider Ferguson has 3 years at a D1 college under his belt, with Michael Vigor who is a pro level player and played in international competition, Corey Shervill who has 3 years at one of the best D2 college programs in the country under his belt and Rowan Mackenzie who is one of the best up and comers in the league and also off a red shirt year in college at a very good D2. Josh Davey also back from freshman year at same D2 College as Mackenzie. Palleschi into his 4th-5th season now so not exactly a kid.

Hawks then smashed Redbacks the next game who had Tevin Jackson and Caleb White both who have had D1 college careers and Dennis Tawhiti who is a veteran big.

Hawks also sit on top of the ladder at 5-1 and have the best coach in the league so maybe its not the most outrageous claim after all?

Reply #814870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ Redbacks also had Marshall Nelson NBL experience

Reply #814873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont think Nelson played that game but they still had enough to make more of a game of the end result 93-65 to the Hawks

Reply #814876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ Nelson did play but struggled with foul trouble and otherwise had minimal impact

Reply #814878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks also without Smith for the Lakeside game

Reply #814879 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Wolves were missing Huntington and Ironmonger on Saturday vs Senators.

Reply #814880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can redbacks gel as a team?

Reply #815041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"There are no rules. It's not an SBL competition it's basically a glorified domestic comp"

Yes there is you numpty! They are using fiba rules, the governing body of basketball with 3 officials for every game

Its a quality competition thats better than domestic, if every pro league worlwide falls into that same category youd be a real numpty to be calling them glorified domestic competitions. I wonder how Lebron James went in his glorified domestic game today lol

Reply #815046 | Report this post

Frog  
Years ago

I have managed to see a few WCC Games and think the games have been exciting and of a good standard. I do see some younger players getting more opportunity and thriving on the additional court time. There are some clubs I havent seen yet but assume that most are using the comp in preperation for next year. I also see a few new refs getting the opportunity that maybe they wouldnt have received and doing a good job. Again, this I hope would encourge them and give them the confidence to continue next year. I can see a few young players with the potential to go further in SBL/NBL/WNBL - we should be encouraging and supporting this (IMO).

Reply #815050 | Report this post

JP  
Years ago

We gonna mention Shaquille Maharaj at all? WOW.

Reply #815056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most NBL ready in that comp right now....Shaq that is

Reply #815061 | Report this post

JP  
Years ago

Hope to see Shaq in the NBL next season - Wildcats could use an athletic wing like that off the bench.

Reply #815102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not convinced. He has inflated numbers against a few sub-par WCC teams to date.

Reply #815110 | Report this post

JP  
Years ago

22 and 11 in short mins (due to illness I believe) vs Redbacks isn't bad. I guess these next couple weeks will tell vs Cockburn, Rocko and Willo.

Reply #815116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bloody hell, NBL?! Some of you seriously underrate how big the leap between the SBL and the NBL is. Hire averages damn near a 20/15/10 in the SBL. In the NBL hes 3/3

Reply #815152 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Agree with above anon.
Marshall Nelson has had huge SBL games but can't crack an NBL roster.

Jury is out on Maharaj but this is a watered down SBL competition.

Reply #815157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6'5 shooting guard that hits from a decent clip from deep......worthy of a look in the modern NBL. Not knocking Marshall or Hire and also not suggesting Shaq would be an NBL star but out of the WCC crop he is the most intriguing

Reply #815164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nelson doesnt crack NBL because of a lack of talent. he is an elite scorer. his ability to play in a system has been questioned both in the SBL and even more so in the NBL. This may have more to do with it than his individual ability. Heck, Nelson would murder Hire in a 1 on 1. probably win 20-0. But Hire can play in a system and do the grunt work and was a great team guy.

Malek is the real NBL talent in WA right now in my opinion. his size, athleticism and skill set would be so handy at that level. Thinking back to how Tom Jervis used to play in the SBL which went unrecognised for many years before getting his NBL opportunity, Malek for me could have a similar impact at that level. Not necessarily an NBL superstar but someone who more than belongs at that level. He seems to fit super well in the Giants system and Coach Creek is bringing out the best in him.

Reply #815229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nelson doesnt crack NBL because of a lack of talent. he is an elite scorer. his ability to play in a system has been questioned both in the SBL and even more so in the NBL. This may have more to do with it than his individual ability. Heck, Nelson would murder Hire in a 1 on 1. probably win 20-0. But Hire can play in a system and do the grunt work and was a great team guy.

Malek is the real NBL talent in WA right now in my opinion. his size, athleticism and skill set would be so handy at that level. Thinking back to how Tom Jervis used to play in the SBL which went unrecognised for many years before getting his NBL opportunity, Malek for me could have a similar impact at that level. Not necessarily an NBL superstar but someone who more than belongs at that level. He seems to fit super well in the Giants system and Coach Creek is bringing out the best in him.

Reply #815230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jervis got his NBL start with Forde. And that's the unfortunate situation these guys find themselves in. They need someone to vouch for them and get a foot in the door.
Would Sunday Dech be where he is if it wasn’t for that same situation? You don’t have to go to far back when he was criticized for getting a DP spot back in 2013/14/15 while only averaging 6 points in SBL.
Travers and Wani are different as these guys played on Australian rep teams, so it’s not like they are a hidden gem. But Malek is going to have a long road, especially in a regional team without any direct NBL contacts.

Reply #815316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lako creates NBL talent

Reply #815317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think last nights game can put to rest any of the 'Shaq at nbl level' talk please. Daylight between him and Travers. Travers is 19? Shaq early to mid 20’s.
Let’s just appreciate the season for what it is.

Reply #815331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I overheard the import for stirling telling some people at the game that the Wildcats are watching his games closely. He said he's confident he could kill it in the NBL. Anyone else think this has any possibility?

Reply #815369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a chance.

They are watching Wani - that's all.

Reply #815370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But he trains with Connelly ! This guy trains NBL talent like Lewis Thomas and Jackson Hussey

Reply #815378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#coachblows

Reply #815379 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

I agree about Shaq. Looked like a 1 trick pony last night. Just put his head down and kept driving to the hoop and getting blocked.

Reply #815392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can anyone explain how Lakeside women barely use a timeout in a game they only score 30 points after quarter time?

Reply #815397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's such a same to see established SBL players playing so many minutes in blowout games. Gero, Stirling, Wolves playing starters big minutes in games that are blowouts. While kids sit on the bench and watch. I thought this competition was supposed to be able playing the kids

Reply #815399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are some young guys playing well that could get a look in as a Wildcats DP or training player??

Reply #815432 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

That's Joondalup just wanting to win everything at any cost. And that cost will be their juniors leaving. This would be the year to develop them like other clubs are. Their own fault when they are shit in years to come

Reply #815446 | Report this post

jp  
Years ago

Shaq is on an u/23's WABL team basically. He is getting all the attention, double teamed, hit etc and still a scoring machine. Dude is definitely a look for an NBL team, 6'5, 3pt shooter, jump out the gym, handles.

Reply #815684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of names said to be nbl standard, let's pump the breaks. Many are averaging double they usual sbl numbers in this comp it’s a glorified domestic comp things change big time with imports on court

Reply #815688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol jp

Reply #815690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nbl teams aren't looking for the best scorers in minor leagues. The already well established boomer level aussies and imports are there for the scoring at the next level.
Obviously would have some major flaws in his game compared to the next level.

Reply #815703 | Report this post

jp  
Years ago

Most these kids like Travers are party boys, no work ethic.

Reply #815722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Shaq

Reply #815748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Travers a party boy? Have I missed something??

Reply #815756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha travers has no work ethic?

have you seen the transformation in his body? the kid has probably put on close to 10kg of muscle since joining the wildcats. im fairly certain you don't do that without a fair amount of hard work

Reply #815817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow jp clearly you have a great eye for talent. Shaq is probably not making quite a few SBL teams let alone NBL teams lol. Enjoy him for what he is. A volume shooter on one of the worst Teams in the last 5 yrs in the comp.

Reply #815853 | Report this post

The Spider  
Years ago

Why is Godfrey not playing for Rocko?

Reply #815912 | Report this post

jp  
Years ago

10kg of muscle?!?!?! LOL ok Ronnie Coleman. He wouldnt even have 10kg of muscle on him

Reply #815971 | Report this post

pj  
Years ago

Tough game for Shaqqy Boy JP. The Willo boys were all over him like flies on horse manure. His team is possibly the worst ever, would be nice if they could actually get him the ball or know when to get him the ball. That team isn't even an A Grade Thursday Night Lakeside team. To anon - someone averaging 20+ ppg will get on any SBL team no problem, what a dingbat.

Reply #815972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

obviously haven't seen Travers in person recently then JP

hes looking more like a man than a kid these days

Reply #815981 | Report this post

JP  
Years ago

Saw Travers a week ago chief - beanpole.

Reply #815984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems a very large gap between the top teams and the bottom teams.
40-50pt beltings.

Reply #816000 | Report this post

Frog  
Years ago

Yes there have been some large wins by some teams. It seems to me that most teams have a reasonable 5-6 players but after that there is a significant drop of in talent. Then when one or two of the starters are injured there have been some blow outs (ie Flames in the weekend).

Reply #816002 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

I watched Travers play against the Eagles a couple of weeks ago and was thinking that he had filled out a fair bit since last season.

Reply #816011 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Haven't bothered with this competition.

Wolfpack will still dominant I assume.

Reply #816051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haven't bothered with the competition but logs into the forum thread for the competition to tell us about it

Reply #816146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol Perry lakes choke job

Reply #816356 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

The hawks certainly did choke.... especially considering Hall went down in the first and Cummings was ejected in the third it was theirs for the taking.

Reply #816357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hence why parsons isn't COY, poor use of timeouts and had no answers

Reply #816360 | Report this post

Wilbur  
Years ago

Perry Lakes and Joondalup are the teams to beat.

Reply #816361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chuck lakeside in to the mix when they're fielding their best team

Reply #816366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks have to be at best third or fourth. They haven't beaten the other teams at the top with them.

Reply #816381 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Anyone know why Lee Roberts wasn't playing last night?

Reply #816386 | Report this post

Just Wondering?  
Years ago

Lee Roberts gone overseas (Israel?).
Why did Cummings get ejected last night or was it foul related?

Reply #816398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Parsons about to choke again

Reply #816406 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Wonder if you want to say that to his face or just quick to post? Lakeside and Joondalup with losses tonight too would you like to comment on that ?

Reply #816407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These young boys from the Slammers play hard!!! Shame they'll lose three quarters of the roster at the end of the season like they normally do.
They’ll start again and go again I guess

Reply #816408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

slammers women to fold after this season

Reply #816415 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Cummings got ejected on Friday due to a double tech. There was a bit of a scuffle.

Reply #816417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Slammers women hoping to bring back 3 overseas players from last season, plus another local or two. Develop a couple of young ones this year and they'll be ok. Maybe not elite but ok.

Reply #816422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope for the sake of the comp that slammers don't fold

Reply #816424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^why there are too many teams in the comp anyway and its a pain to travel down to play in a no atmosphere stafium

Reply #816425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's a bit of atmosphere, there was even a streaker on Friday night. Couple of people in the bar don’t mind a spray either occasionally.

Reply #816426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well keep them in then if they do that every week!!!!

Reply #816427 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

More atmosphere and bigger crowds in Bunbury than at most other stadiums, Hawks, Eagles, Redbacks to name a few

Reply #816428 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Male or female streaker?

Reply #816429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#426 what a great atmosphere to promote. People in the bar willing to give a spray. Awesome lol douche

Reply #816430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not really a spray, more just a bit of banter. At least the crowd isn’t completely dead, East Perth, Perry Lakes etc

Reply #816431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hawks always get a crown when it counts

Reply #816434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Main issue is slammers have no coin and completely reliant on imports to be competitive

Reply #816435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was at the wolves v hawks game on Friday night and for those saying parsons choked you have to either be a hater or know little about basketball. he was actually the reason they were even in a position to win that game.

it was really ben purser who choked missing 4 straight free throws and taking a terrible mid range jump shot attempt that had no hope of going in.

Wolves on paper have a much deeper and experienced team. they had more size inside which showed down the stretch on the glass. All that aside the hawks boys played so hard and so well together as a unit that they almost pulled it off. Realistically Wolves should have been well in front with the roster they have.

Cummings ejection was horrible. really poor outcome. the refs missed a blatant foul on a 3 point attempt by cummings, knocking him to the floor. Cummings reacted and put his hands in the air, then a foul occurred in transition at mid court where there was some minor pushing and shoving. one of which involved cummings. It was really Maxwell that was the aggressor in the shoving from wolves as he ran in to protect his teammate. Somehow cummings got a tech and an unsportsmanlike in this exchange and was ejected where really he should have been shooting 3 free throw attempts. it was a shame to see 1 poor missed call turn into 3 poor calls.

None the less Wolves brought in Matt Teale who had an instant impact on the game defensively and really swung the momentum back to the wolves before the end of the quarter. Im not sure why he didn't get more burn but he was doing a great job on Cassir.

Young Kade Muru was big on the glass in the 4th quarter and whilst wasn't active on the scoreboard during the game came up with 3 huge free throws in the clutch. With Muru going 3-4 from the line when Purser went 0-4, this really nudged wolves in front.

Cracking game to watch and great atmosphere in the HBF Arena

Reply #816467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was at the wolves v hawks game on Friday night and for those saying parsons choked you have to either be a hater or know little about basketball. he was actually the reason they were even in a position to win that game.

it was really ben purser who choked missing 4 straight free throws and taking a terrible mid range jump shot attempt that had no hope of going in.

Wolves on paper have a much deeper and experienced team. they had more size inside which showed down the stretch on the glass. All that aside the hawks boys played so hard and so well together as a unit that they almost pulled it off. Realistically Wolves should have been well in front with the roster they have.

Cummings ejection was horrible. really poor outcome. the refs missed a blatant foul on a 3 point attempt by cummings, knocking him to the floor. Cummings reacted and put his hands in the air, then a foul occurred in transition at mid court where there was some minor pushing and shoving. one of which involved cummings. It was really Maxwell that was the aggressor in the shoving from wolves as he ran in to protect his teammate. Somehow cummings got a tech and an unsportsmanlike in this exchange and was ejected where really he should have been shooting 3 free throw attempts. it was a shame to see 1 poor missed call turn into 3 poor calls.

None the less Wolves brought in Matt Teale who had an instant impact on the game defensively and really swung the momentum back to the wolves before the end of the quarter. Im not sure why he didn't get more burn but he was doing a great job on Cassir.

Young Kade Muru was big on the glass in the 4th quarter and whilst wasn't active on the scoreboard during the game came up with 3 huge free throws in the clutch. With Muru going 3-4 from the line when Purser went 0-4, this really nudged wolves in front.

Cracking game to watch and great atmosphere in the HBF Arena

Reply #816468 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Good writeup, thanks.

Reply #816470 | Report this post

The Spider  
Years ago

Crikey!! A fair and balanced report on a game - and without bagging anyone except the 13 year old who reckoned Parsons choked. Great to see, hope it catches on.

Reply #816474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CRikEY! A clearly one sided account for the Hawks. Parsons did choke. He maybe needs to wave his fist harder and or give them a different footy half time speech about blood sweat and tears.

Reply #816488 | Report this post

Mic Drop  
Years ago

WCC refs are hacks and something needs to be done about them. - worried fan

Reply #816540 | Report this post

Wayne Simmons  
Years ago

Off topic but I have to say I love the guys trying to expand and enhance on the basketball culture in Perth.

Reply #816541 | Report this post

The Solo Groover  
Years ago

Well said Wayne.

Reply #816544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe you could take up the whistle then Mic Drop?

Reply #816545 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Apart from the sleeper hit single Solo Groovin' wasn't there a sports show hosted by Wayne and Moose on Channel 31.

Reply #816546 | Report this post

Wayne Simmons  
Years ago

Balls and All my friend, Balls and All.

Reply #816562 | Report this post

The Solo Groover  
Years ago

Wayne has made a significant contribution to basketball in WA. He's helped a lot of kids get better and realize their potential.

Reply #816563 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Wayne Simmons was MCing an SBL game last season at Herb Graham. He was dancing around and dropped the mic.... when he was picking it up he said...

"It's ok to drop the mic at a basketball game... but never drop the soap in jail"

Was gold!!

Reply #816565 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Balls and All my friend, Balls and All.

How's Moose going?

Reply #816568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What was the one liner Moose would say, was it "and how you goin" or something like that?

Reply #816576 | Report this post

Mic Drop  
Years ago

Not a bad idea show these very unprofessional refs how to do it.

Reply #816612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Travers playing this week?

Reply #816722 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Travers isn't playing tonight

Reply #816728 | Report this post

Just Wondering?  
Years ago

Went to watch Wolves v Eagles last night, Eagles are terrible, was horrible to watch!!

Reply #816778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They beat lakeside the night before so what does that make them?

Reply #816784 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

The Eagles beat Lakeside that didn't have Fergusaon playing.
I am sure the Eagles were pretty tired from Fridays tough game though.

However there is a big difference between the top of the pack and the bottom of the pack.

Lachlan Cummings rolled his ankle at the beginning of the third quarter and didn't play any further.
Hope it's not too serious.

Reply #816787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big difference between the west coast classic and quality basketball in general

Reply #816791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After Shaquille Maharaj and Kieran Berry Eagles have no one

Reply #816803 | Report this post

Justin  
Years ago

Went to watch Eagles vs Wolves. Seb didn't leave Shaq at all, faced him up the entire game, didn't help, didn't sag, nothing. Eagles had no chance when Shaq couldn't even get the ball.

Reply #816859 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Yeah Seb did a great job on Shaq. He was basically a non factor. All he was able to do was force up some really bad shots for 5 points

Reply #816862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Giants are playing some nice bball right now.

Damon Ballantyne is looking like a great fit. The Centre for Giants would be a great pickup for an NBL team.

Creek doing a great job in stabilising that program with some nice youth in his roster. Would love to see how they went in a full SBL season with some high level imports

Reply #816879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Giants with an import pg and import forward with the current team would most likely be a playoff team. Wcc really pot luck never no who will play eacH week. Mandurah some nice young talent Atkins a surprise and Josh Hunt

Reply #816891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I watched the Magic v Giants yesterday and it really stood out how much the Giants players were enjoying their basketball.

All getting around each other, it was very positive and great to see. They seem to be having fun.

Reply #816894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's great to see how many teams have used the season for what it is. Looking at how many players have hit the floor and you can see even the top four sides have had between 15-20 different players get a run.
One team has only suited up 11, and not going to make finals, what was the point of their season?

Reply #816896 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Doesn't it depend on who those 11 are?

Reply #816912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The Centre for Giants would be a great pickup for an NBL team."

This forum loves throwing out stupid random statements

Reply #816915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how is that stupid or random?

the guy is 6'10, mobile, athletic, great hands, can play inside and out

averaging 14pts 14rb a game and 4th in league in blocks

Reply #816925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deng Acouth averaged better numbers in the nbl1 and doesn't even get on the court for the 2nd worse team in the NBL.

Reply #816926 | Report this post

Mic Drop  
Years ago

Probably because of factors other than basketball sadly

Reply #816930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

14 points in a league that virtually has no pro players and no imports isn't enough to warrant NBL interest.

Reply #816937 | Report this post

Factors like racism? Is that what he is saying?

Reply #816992 | Report this post

Vincó  
Years ago

Buy my gear boisssssssss

Reply #816993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its not the volume of points that warrants NBL contention.

Corban Wroe has never put up big numbers either in the NBL or SBL. Does he belong? some may argue no but many would say he played a solid role for the cats.

Brad Robbins was another guy who didn't put up big numbers in the SBL but was a legitimate contributor at the NBL level.

Rhys Vague, before moving to East Perth could barely put up numbers in D league let alone SBL whilst he was a DP in the cats. Likewise with Sunday Dech.

Guys like Sam Harris and Paul Rogers weren't big scorers in the SBL either.

Garang's size, athleticism and how he scores is as much about what he has to offer at the NBL level than just his averages in WCC.

Reply #817001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol you cannot throw Paul Rogers name into that mix.

He played like 3 games and was 100 years old

Reply #817002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corban Wroe was only ever a DP. Never had a contracted spot. Only played big mins with wildcats had both Kenny and Martin out.
Robbins played SBL post retirement.
Rhys Vague and Sunday Dech got their opportunity because the head coach of SBL was an assistant for wildcats.
Sam Harris and Paul Rogers are legitimate 7footers.
Garrang would get a chance if he had someone vouching for him, like if his head coach was a wildcats assistant. Otherwise he isn't doing enough to warrant NBL interest.

Reply #817003 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Majier Garang Iii is too old to be a development player so doubt he will get too many opportunities

Reply #817005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Robbins played for Willo before he went to the
Wildcats. He was aggressive.

Reply #817006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excerpt from a very informative Wikipedia page. Robbins has had quite a lot of involvement in the SBL and also during the peak of his NBL career.

After not receiving any NBL contract offers for the 2005-06 season, Robbins moved to Perth in 2006 and joined the Willetton Tigers of the State Basketball League (SBL). Following the 2006 SBL season, Robbins joined the Perth Wildcats for the 2006–07 NBL season and became a tremendous servant of the club. In his first season as a Wildcat, Robbins averaged 3.4 points, 1.6 rebounds and 1.4 assists in 34 games. He became a crowd favourite and impressed with his work ethics, as his gritty actions on court earned him the nickname "Angry Ant". He subsequently returned to the Willetton Tigers for the 2007 SBL season.

Robbins played 67 games over his first two seasons as a Wildcat, increasing his averages to 6.1 points, 2.7 rebounds and 2.4 assists in 2007–08, but was restricted to just three appearances in 2008–09 due to a knee injury.

Robbins returned to full health for the 2009–10 season and formed a tremendous point guard duo with Damian Martin, helping the club win a record-breaking fifth NBL Championship. In the 2–1 grand final series win over the Wollongong Hawks, Robbins played through broken ribs, a calf tear and sore hips to drag Perth across the line. In 32 games for the Wildcats in 2009–10, he averaged 4.5 points, 2.3 rebounds, 2.1 assists and 1.1 steals per game. He was then named co-captain for the 2010–11 season and led his team from the front to another playoff appearance, this time a thrilling semi-final series loss in three games to the New Zealand Breakers. He averaged 5.4 points, 2.3 rebounds, 2.1 assists and 1.1 steals in 31 games during the 2010–11 season.

Robbins returned to the SBL in 2011, joining the Wanneroo Wolves and helping the team win the championship alongside Wildcats' teammate Greg Hire. In 15 games for the Wolves in 2011, he averaged 13.5 points, 5.1 rebounds, 4.6 assists and 2.3 steals per game. He went on to have a career-best season for the Wildcats in 2011–12, celebrating his 200th NBL game in Game 1 of the semi-final series against the Gold Coast Blaze, and averaging a career-high 7.0 points per game. The Wildcats made it back to the Grand Final in 2012, where they were defeated 2–1 by the New Zealand Breakers. In 34 games for the Wildcats in 2011–12, he also averaged 2.9 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game.

Following a successful stint with the Wanneroo Wolves in 2011, Robbins returned to the side for the 2012 season but played in just seven games, averaging 10.0 points, 5.7 rebounds, 4.7 assists and 2.4 steals per game.

Off-season wrist surgery forced Robbins to miss the first three weeks of the Wildcats' 2012–13 season, but upon returning to action, he managed just eight games before his long-running battle with various injuries began impeding on his ability to perform. Consequently, on 11 December 2012, he announced his retirement from the NBL effective immediately, citing his ailing body and a fatigued mind were the main reasons in his decision to walk away from basketball. He continued on with the team in an advisory role, but following an Achilles injury to Damian Martin in Game 2 of the Wildcats' semi-final series against the Wollongong Hawks, Robbins came out of retirement in April to fill in the back-up point guard role for the 2013 Grand Final series against the New Zealand Breakers. He played in both games of the Wildcats' 2–0 series loss to the Breakers, finishing his NBL career with 215 games and averages of 4.5 points, 2.1 rebounds and 1.7 assists per game.

Robbins' 2013 NBL Grand Final return sparked a want to continue playing at a lower level, and just days after completing the NBL season with the Wildcats, Robbins joined the Wanneroo Wolves for the rest of the 2013 State Basketball League season. He played an important role on the Wolves' squad, leading them back to the Grand Final where they lost to the Lakeside Lightning. In 20 games for the Wolves in 2013, he averaged 4.7 points, 2.3 rebounds and 2.8 assists per game.

After not playing for the Wolves in 2014, in April 2015, he re-joined the team. He left the team in early July prior to the playoffs. In 10 games, he averaged 3.0 points, 3.2 rebounds, 1.7 assists and 1.3 steals per game.

In October 2018, Robbins came out of retirement to sign with the Rockingham Flames for the 2019 SBL season. He came into the season six kilograms lighter than he was when he was with the Wildcats. A hamstring injury suffered during pre-season forced him to miss the start of the regular season. He made his debut for the Flames in round nine. He went on to miss the back-end of the season, including the finals, with an Achilles injury.

Reply #817007 | Report this post

Mic Drop  
Years ago

I don't think you should be correlating stats to production. Some guys can play at a higher level and produce the same stats. There are other factors involved. Not everyone is an elite scorer. Gotta look for traits that help a player stand out.

Reply #817044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ANy chance this still happens? West says NBL close with SBL>

https://thewest.com.au/sport/basketball/sbls-move-to-nbl-rebrand-gains-momentum-nationwide-second-tier-play-off-tournament-revealed-ng-b881662971z

Reply #817124 | Report this post

Fan  
Years ago

What happened in the Magic- Flames men's game? A 75 point loss in a 40 min game means it would be close to 100 in a 48 min game.
Whilst I mention the Magic- I notice the women’s team have gone from championship contender to awful prettt quickly.

Reply #817220 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Mandurah's women's team this year is mostly 14- and 15-year-olds.

Reply #817222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A bunch of 14/15 year olds?

Which of..

Rachel Halleen
Kelly Bailey
Kasey Miegel
Rachel Pettitt
Olivia Bassett-Scarfe
Jaide Britton
Georgia Haines

is 14 or 15?

Don't get us wrong they're young, but not that young. And not very good.

No excuses for them.

Reply #817233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WRwick I think ya thinking of, has a few 05s and an 06.

Reply #817234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most teams are very young

Reply #817246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so are the final 4s set for the mens and womens?

will there be a all-star 5?

Reply #817302 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

4th / 5th for the mens depends on Wolves and Lightning's result this weekend. They are on the same win/loss record

Reply #817307 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

Senators will finish 1st.
Hawks will finish 2nd.

Redbacks, Wolves, Lightning and Tigers can all finish 3rd or 4th.

Reply #817405 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

So...anyone know the math to figure it out?

Reply #817569 | Report this post

Billy Bob  
Years ago

It's simple, percentage is the tie breaker this season

Reply #817570 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's easy enough once the results are online, sure. They weren't when I posted.

Shame the Hawks women won. Ruined the drama completely.

Reply #817571 | Report this post

Billy Bob  
Years ago

Thoughts on the season? Abit random with no imports and different teams having different agendas.
How does everyone feel each did team based on what their purpose seemed to be?

Reply #817586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warwick drew the short straw. Lakeside sneak in to fourth and will field their full team of two imports + Vigor and wildcats DP

Reply #817606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lakeside sneak into finals without 2 of their guns Shervill and MacKensie but have to play Senators with their full team + one import + fully contracted wildcats player + former 36er DP + former Wildcat

Reply #817632 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

plus former fully contracted Illawarra Hawk and former Wildcats captain as coach :)

Reply #817633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anybody actually care about this league?

Lets put everyone out of there misery and end it now.

Reply #817668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

league is boring. crazy lopsided with some teams having "unpaid" imports and other teams playing their under 20s team

Reply #817671 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Sure it's not as exciting as it usually is but it is all we have. I choose to support it. I have been to at least one game a week every week. Cheap night out at $5 a ticket.

Reply #817672 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Strange that those who bag it still manage to post in this thread.

Reply #817673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes the knockers seem to know a lot about the league given they don't care about it! total dicks!

Reply #817674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm extremely grateful that this company has gone ahead. I’ve seen some cracking games for both the men and women

Reply #817681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

people just hate for the sake of it. when the rest of the country is in disarray for sport, BWA were out there giving those in WA an avenue to actually play! sure its been a bit top heavy at ends of the talent spectrum, but they all still get to play and keep getting better!

i have lakeside defeating hawks in the mens grand final and wolves defeating senators in the womens. hopefully get a good turn out to the games

Reply #817707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks in the GF? Gotta get past Wolves b4 that. Wolves beat them without Lee Roberts and they have Lee back this week. Will be a good game tho.

Reply #817745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Though Roberts had overseas gig so wasn't playing

Reply #817756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lee Roberts not back

Reply #817819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the last battle between hawks and wolves was a ripper game

hawks had wolves down double digits in the 3rd and wolves clawed their way back into it. it basically came down to the final 2 minutes of play where hawks had plenty of opportunity to win the game.

purser missed 4 straight from the free throw line. took a horrible jumper to try and make up for it and that was the game.

that finals series could go either way!

Reply #817820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the last battle between hawks and wolves was a ripper game

hawks had wolves down double digits in the 3rd and wolves clawed their way back into it. it basically came down to the final 2 minutes of play where hawks had plenty of opportunity to win the game.

purser missed 4 straight from the free throw line. took a horrible jumper to try and make up for it and that was the game.

that finals series could go either way!

Reply #817821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

re roberts https://twitter.com/fermartinezlar/status/1308128657735647245

Reply #817826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like wolves open cheque book or using gov grant money? Haha

Reply #817828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way Lee Roberts is playing. Even if he was back, he is going to be in quarantine for 2 weeks

Reply #817839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Got turned around at the Israel border 2 weeks ago upon his arrival. Cleared quarantine back here yesterday. Full strength Wolves to beat Hawks and lose in the final to Senators is my tip.

Reply #817840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard few wolves are unavailable. Group holiday!

Reply #817844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Got turned around at the Israel border 2 weeks ago"

ummm no. good try but

Reply #817845 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Some conflicting Wolves news in those last few posts.

Reply #817846 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

As long as they get beat who cares

Reply #817848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4 mins to go and Warwick down 31.. Yet haven't played anyone past their first 7 athletes.

Not long before mass exodus of juniors - only playing Forster and Clark because has no choice

No idea Dion

Reply #817857 | Report this post

FMD  
Years ago

Seems the windpipe obstruction syndrome has remained with the Wolfies. Pumped in another final. Spend more money.

Reply #817859 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

Did you see the Wolves lineup? Did well to remain competitive

Reply #817861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wolves had only 3 guys who have ever played SBL before this season. Basically a D-League team and got it to 6 in the last QTR. Full strength wolves destroys hawks tonight.

Reply #817862 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

Wolves had only 3 guys who have ever played SBL before this season. Basically a D-League team and got it to 6 in the last QTR. Full strength wolves destroys hawks tonight.

100% agree!

Reply #817863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hawks to win WCC double #westernsuburbsrules

Reply #817864 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Wolves were missing

Rob Huntington
Reece Maxwell
Trian Iliadis
Lee Roberts

Reply #817865 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

I think the Hawks will lose to Senators for the men's and the Wolves in the women's.

Reply #817866 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Hawks also full of juniors. Difference is they are local juniors. Roberts is an import. Hawks missing Dan Hickert and Pete Hanson too so that's evened it up.

Reply #817869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ haha nice try

Reply #817870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahaha I love the anonymous hawks coach posting

Reply #817871 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Yes, we know the Wolves were badly undermanned. But we can't let a chance go by now, can we?

Reply #817872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wolves using the old adage of #BoughtNotBuilt to win the WCC Grand Final tonight. Not one starter a Wolves junior, and even their first two subs were part of the ching ching cheque brigrade the club spent on after the choking hazards of years past in the Men's program. What kind of message does it send to a Wolves junior female player at the moment when the ring in coach who's been involved with more SBL teams than Justin Eckhart, doesn't play any of their juniors aside from Geel and even then she gets minimal minutes.

Reply #817882 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

AHWOOO!

Reply #817883 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Jeez - I'm a Hawks person and I thought I was bad. Saltbush Bill, come on down.

Reply #817884 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

Wolves using the old adage of #BoughtNotBuilt to win the WCC Grand Final tonight. Not one starter a Wolves junior, and even their first two subs were part of the ching ching cheque brigrade the club spent on after the choking hazards of years past in the Men's program. What kind of message does it send to a Wolves junior female player at the moment when the ring in coach who's been involved with more SBL teams than Justin Eckhart, doesn't play any of their juniors aside from Geel and even then she gets minimal minutes.

SOUR MUCH? Who bought got in WCC - their ain't no money in it !

Reply #817887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wolves players who were at other clubs pre-2019 - 67 points
Wolves players who weren't - 5 points

So out of those seven players, how many weren't getting paid to drive up the freeway 'just for the love of the game' to play for an unproven coach? Not sour or salty, just THE REAL TRUTH. It is evident to everyone south of Hodges Drive that there is truly is a level of arrogance and toxic culture within the Wolves and it is just great that karma has played a large part of the club not being as successful as they would want others to believe. Heaven help the recently advertised Basketball Development Coordinator when they start in the position as SBL aspirations for Wolves juniors are non existent unless they are happy playing sixty seconds per game whilst the front office recruits heavily outside of their own program. There is a major reason why the Senators and Hawks have well and truly surpassed Joondalup now in terms of WABL/Development and this will further be proven in the next 2-5 years by results along with an impending junior player exodus to clubs who can offer them more on their development journey's.

Reply #817888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^amen

Reply #817889 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

It's hard to argue against that.

Reply #817893 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I understand the romantic notion behind the idea of juniors playing on as seniors for their association but the reality is SBL is now a semi-pro league rather than an association-based representative competition where you play for the club that developed you for life. Each side has a different budget so players will naturally move when offered a better deal. What is a successful entity like Wolves supposed to do - not spend the money it has? In 2022 we move into yet another era where a NBL1 national title will be up for grabs. The existence of clubs like Joondalup means WA won't be embarrassed at the next level so the state is actually fortunate to have an organisation like it. Imagine if every SBL participant was as strong commercially as Joondalup, it would be a much better league like the old SEABL, instead we have East Perth type mediocrity.

Reply #817905 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

2021 not 2022.

Reply #817906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just to add to the discussion, the wolves Dleague team is 1-9 last on the ladder.

Reply #817909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Parsons choked

Reply #817924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Parson chocked???

Against full strength Warwick team cmon. Enjoy your first championship that don't mean shit hahaha

Reply #817925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My takeaway from the WCC
- Cody Ellis is definitely not an NBL player so there should be zero talk of him going to tassie.
- Justin King is an average import
- Matt parsons had no idea purser was on 4 fouls
- missed layups and missed uncontested shots show how average development is in WA. Hence why you guys don't Medal that often at nationals.
- hardshow in PNR is over rated , especially when switching doesn’t provide any mismatches and no one can’t beat their man one on one.
- Justin king really is average

Reply #817926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah keep your import here and then put 3 former nbl players and can only beat a hawks team by flopping and paying off Morgan Hughes #nice

Reply #817927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks would have won if they had any discipline. Cole and Cassir were disgraceful. Purser with dumb fouls

Reply #817929 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Having Morgan Hughes ref tonight is a discredit to the league.. Plenty of experienced referees sitting courtside

Reply #817931 | Report this post

OldTimer  
Years ago

Interesting take on the WCC now that it's concluded.

The rhetoric on it all from the league is that it’s just a comp to get people playing, games would be watered down, nothing like a typical SBL game, but after a couple of weeks it was far from it.
Such a huge discrepancy between the teams due to the fact "local" imports could play, and no out of state recruits could be used, so it was always inevitable who would play finals.

Now after the finals have finished and after viewing photos from the last two nights, the champions now have a championship banner to hang in their stadium for a supposedly non-meaningful comp.

I understand they should get something, but a banner? I think a trophy would have more appropriate, based on the circumstances.
Nothing against the Senators or Wolves, but I think these banners will have more than an asterisk against them.

Reply #817932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Purser was by far the best player tonight. Shame he got those dumb fouls in the fourth. He could have willed the Hawks to victory.

Wroe was ok, considering Clarke was his opponent. Ellis was average, Davis was average, King got a few shots at the end but also average.

Hawks lived and died by the 3 tonight, which was odd. Smith missed a number of key shots, as did Hamilton.

Congrats to Senators.

Reply #817933 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I understand the romantic notion behind the idea of juniors playing on as seniors for their association but the reality is SBL is now a semi-pro league rather than an association-based representative competition where you play for the club that developed you for life. Each side has a different budget so players will naturally move when offered a better deal. What is a successful entity like Wolves supposed to do - not spend the money it has? In 2022 we move into yet another era where a NBL1 national title will be up for grabs. The existence of clubs like Joondalup means WA won't be embarrassed at the next level so the state is actually fortunate to have an organisation like it. Imagine if every SBL participant was as strong commercially as Joondalup, it would be a much better league like the old SEABL, instead we have East Perth type mediocrity.
This is Joondalup's first championship from six attempts, and it took entering a pro team into an amateur competition to achieve it. Hardly a shining example of excellence.

Reply #817934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahaha senator were $1.10 from day 1 to win with that team in watered down comp.
Hawks down really wellmwith just the local kids.

I cant beleive they gave out banners hahaha hilarious

Reply #817939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are they going to be doing season awards for this comp?

Reply #817946 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

No because it's not a real season. Or a real championship. Keep posting Wolves.

Reply #817950 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Just finished watching the grand final. The Hawks certainly did not disgrace themselves by coming up short against a team fielding an import and 3 ex nbl players against their none.
They did fall in love with the quick 3 which backfired. But it is hard to be critical when they are in the game right up to the last 3 minutes or so with inferior talent.
Parsons continues to prove he is the best coach of his generation. The consistency of his teams performances year after year speak for themselves. Their game style was far superior to the Senators and a lot more up to date on both ends. They just have to find a way to score front the free throw line as well as the 3pt area and penetration.
Stirling did a great job drawing fouls and scoring from the post area with the mismatches they had and deserve the win.
But next year the Hawks add imports, they look great for the short to medium term future.

Reply #817965 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Be careful JR, too much common sense applied. And you've even headed toward unbiased.

Reply #817967 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Why not give credit where it's due and without bias.

You know what was really startling? The lack of fundamentals of most players offensively and all of the players defensively was shocking to me. That is not a criticism of the 2 head coaches, far from. It’s more a reflection of the state of play in WA over the past few years, in particular in juniors. Grown sbl players are usually quite set in their habits by the tome their sbl coaches have an input.

Now there is some old school logic.

Reply #817968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With senators team they had they could have turned up Thursday had 1st scrimmage for the year. Met each other and learnt thier names. Played the semi and Gf this week and still won.

Reply #817978 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Given that the Hawks were in front for much of the game, and it was still a contest with a couple of minutes to go, I doubt that.

Reply #817994 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Anonymous I think you are being unkind not only to the Senators, but the rest of the league as well. You are underestimating their levels of structure too.

Ok hear is the reason why.. Coaching 10- There are 4 ways to score the ball in basketball- one of the is thru the post. This is where the game was won for Stirling. I don't have breakdowns but i would guess: a) 10-15 fouls drawn there- and the subsequent scored free throws not to mention foul trouble plus b) the amount they actually scored field goal wise and c) the offensive rebounds they obtained and scored (or drew fouls) from due to collapsing and forcing rotations on the defense..

If you added it all up it was probably worth over 50% of their entire offensive output for the game. Again it’s an educated guess.

Now remember I said there are 4 days ways to score the ball? Working thru the post is the only one that requires an entry pass usually to a player in advantageous position. The rest can happen 1 on 1 with no set up. Now the entry pass can only occur at certain spots on the court. Long story short it requires intelligent scheming to get that sort of output from post ups. There has to be a concept of spacing, movement (ball and player), timing, etc. So the senators had an intelligent game plan that catered to their strengths vs the Hawks. And it was executed well so believe me Mike Ellis did a great job to exploit the advantages he had.

Reply #818009 | Report this post

logan v  
Years ago

My take from the grand final:

- Ben Purser stays in they win
- Female ref has a phattyyyyyyy
- King is super average
- Mitch Clark should not be training with the cats

Reply #818010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^all four points spot on haha

Reply #818013 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Better still try coaching the game sometime and then find out why your team had its heads handed to them by an opposition team of far lesser talent that were much more in tune with their own games.
It happens to all coaches at some point and it would absolutely change your perspective. A Lack of preparation and then winning grand finals by half hearted effort levels never happens in the real world I can assure you, no matter the talent. Even the US Dream Team has lost games

Reply #818014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

King is mediocre.

Reply #818018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

koberulz
Yesterday

Given that the Hawks were in front for much of the game, and it was still a contest with a couple of minutes to go, I doubt that.

Kobe that's a credit to the Hawks!!

Reply #818029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahaha four ways to score the ball?! That has to be the dumbest thing I ever heard

Reply #818033 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Let's hear your theory then genius.

Reply #818034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's keep this dumb thread going ...

Reply #818036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Transition
PnR
Drive and kick
Drawing fouls
Off screens
Cuts
Spot up
Flogs

Reply #818037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pick and pop
Pick and roll
Short roll
Re screen
Pick and roll with shooter lifting out of corner
Pick and pop into another pick and roll
Pick and screen away
Pitch and screen
There is another eight just out of on ball actions

Reply #818039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wide pin down
Staggers always
Curl and pop
Flare
Split screen
Curl and re screen
There's six for off ball actions
Should I keep going Anon?

Reply #818041 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Saying exactly the same thing ten different ways isn't the same as saying ten different things.

Reply #818042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bump..
It's school holidays

Reply #818043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wolves no good again.

Reply #818044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sure it is because it's different things.
Saying pick and pop vs. pick and roll are two different things.
Not like saying "you are an idiot" compared to “you’re an idiot” which is the same - but still relevant to you

Reply #818046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love the losers talking about us on school holidays but they comment on a forum during "work hours". What is the chances koberulz is from Perth and on the dole

Reply #818047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I highly doubt koberulz is on the dole.
Suspect he does live in WA.

Reply #818048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JR is clearly parsons trying to talk himself up. Go back and read the posts

Reply #818063 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Koberulz is from Perth, is a Warrick supporter. He is loyal to his teams, but he does hate both Perry Lakes and Joondalup.

Reply #818066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Makes sense! Haha

Reply #818069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

koberulz
Earlier this week
This is Joondalup's first championship from six attempts, and it took entering a pro team into an amateur competition to achieve it. Hardly a shining example of excellence.

That was not a pro team. Who exactly was paid? Don't just have a guess for the sake of it. Which player is a professional who hasn't been playing in the SBL for numerous seasons and was bought in professionally to win the championship?

Joondalup as a club have 8 championships, 3 for the men and 5 for the women, the only clubs with more success are Willeton and Perry Lakes. Joondalup have been attempting to win a championship since they joined the league in '89, just like every other club.

And for all the salty parents who thought their kids junior wabl career was going to guarantee them a spot on a talented SBL team, sorry it doesn't work like that, just like you dont spend 5 years in the sbl and think your a shoe in for the nbl...your kid should give social bball a try, lakeside and bendat are good comps

Reply #818114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bump

Reply #818117 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That was not a pro team. Who exactly was paid? Don't just have a guess for the sake of it. Which player is a professional who hasn't been playing in the SBL for numerous seasons and was bought in professionally to win the championship?
Why does playing players not count if they've played SBL previously?

Which players were professionals? Steindl, Pirini, Williams and Miotti off the top of my head have had WNBL experience.

I'm not about to publish anyone's salary information, but the claim nobody at Joondalup was paid to be there is absurd.

Reply #818129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absurd.

Reply #818131 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Why does playing players not count if they've played SBL previously?
*paying, obviously.

Reply #818133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no one got paid. not a cent. you cant publish anyones salary because there was none to be paid and you arent privvy to that information anyway.

Reply #818150 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

And you've got proof nobody got paid? Give me a break

Reply #818185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can confirm Wolves hawks and Senators did not pay anyone a cent and made and won finals. Yet clubs who finished bottom half of the league threw money around. Great investment. Ever think if you're a good club and treat your players right that maybe just maybe they would play for free?

I know that's hard for people from crap clubs to get their head around.

Reply #818190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can confirm L Cummings went to Wolves for the money, so claiming Wolves paid nobody is simply not true.

Reply #818198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This just got interesting. I want to know if being paid by a third party counts as salary towards the cap. I'd be keen to see which players may have gotten paid that way.

Reply #818199 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Wolves aren't even pretending they didn't pay anyone this year, they've been quite open about it.

Reply #818200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's just here say if nobody can provide proof.

Reply #818206 | Report this post

Annonn  
Years ago

Cummings was offered $ for sbl season - I think everyone knows that is fact. From what I've been told it wasn't the highest offer but everyone knows that he was going to be paid at whatever club he played for - he wasn't going to Wolves for no money for sbl.

One of the players told me that when WCC was announced they were given the option to either play for no $ or to take it off as a break. It looks like they all decided to play for nothing and I would think that includes Cummings as well.

Reply #818208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't see what the issue is about players being paid? If they're good enough to warrant being paid then good on them.

Reply #818226 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

According to the BWA press release on 12 June, the WCC competition was supposed to be amateur. Under those circumstances, paying players would be cheating.

Reply #818227 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

There was no salary cap for the WCC clubs were able to pay players anything they wanted

Reply #818231 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I don't see what the issue is about players being paid? If they're good enough to warrant being paid then good on them.
Crowing about a championship in a league where you're the only club paying anyone is a bit silly.

Reply #818234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For the record Koberulz I'm not a Joondalup supporter, never have been, never will be. This year was always going to be different. I just can't see the big deal in whether or not players got paid. If you could be paid or not be paid, which one would you choose?

Reply #818236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The clubs wanted a strict no payments allowed rule but BWA didn't have the balls and left it up to the clubs to do what they felt was in the spirit of the game.

Reply #818238 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Well, that would explain why Joondalbuy paid players.

Reply #818246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not a Joondalup supporter either.

Reply #818248 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I just can't see the big deal in whether or not players got paid.
The big deal is Joondalup supporters claiming they got this amazing team for free because of how special they are.

Reply #818251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joondalup were allowed to pay players. Every club in the league could. Can't get upset at them for taking advantage of it. They clearly didn’t do it well enough though. Maybe if they did their core group wouldn’t have rack off before finals for a birthday party.

Reply #818273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who won this classic thing anyway

Reply #818274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warwick won the men's and Joondalup won the women’s

Reply #818275 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Joondalup were allowed to pay players. Every club in the league could. Can't get upset at them for taking advantage of it.
Nobody is getting upset at them for taking advantage of it. The issue is the false claims that they didn't.

Reply #818277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no one has claimed anything, except you claiming that players have been paid? talk about butt hurt

Reply #818304 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

We're not amazing or special just rich.

Reply #818312 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Below was posted a couple of days ago. Koberulz is correct. And you should already know that.

Can confirm Wolves hawks and Senators did not pay anyone a cent and made and won finals. Yet clubs who finished bottom half of the league threw money around. Great investment. Ever think if you're a good club and treat your players right that maybe just maybe they would play for free?

I know that's hard for people from crap clubs to get their head around.

Reply #818315 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

So Anon come on then. If you're so much in the know, who paid their players? Back yourself up with proof

Reply #818316 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Wasn't me who made the claim, dumbass.

Reply #818318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon v Anon classic battle

Reply #818320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there are 4 ways to pay someone in the wcc

Reply #818331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SBL rumours thread up yet? Alot of movement in the WSBL already going on.

Reply #818332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh god please no. You guys please take a break

Reply #818333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anons arguing with anons.
Perthworld still a Gronk.
Koberulz always right.

Happy holidays.

Reply #818335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go on who's moving in the WSBL
Start the rumours

Reply #818337 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Tom Knowles to Rocko women

Reply #818338 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Now remember I said there are 4 days ways to score the ball? Working thru the post is the only one that requires an entry pass usually to a player in advantageous position. The rest can happen 1 on 1 with no set up.
This got buried but I am curious as to what you think they are, given that you go on to say post touches are the only one that isn't a 1 on 1 thing. Absent that, I'd have thought the other three were isos, on-balls, and cuts/off-ball screens. But only one of those is a 1 on 1 thing.

Reply #818340 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Warwick WSBL looking for a new coach.

Reply #818356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any rumours guys

Reply #818358 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Kobe, the 4 ways to score the ball are: Postups, 3pters, off penetration and the free throw line. Any balanced offence tries to get a spread at least across 3 of these areas. So it's areas of the floor referred to here rather than actions which you should speak if. And yes any coach needs to know their most efficient actions offensively and the biggest threats defending.

Many times in games I used to pick an opposition having trouble defending a type of action and we would start to use that more and more.

These scoring areas also describes how the game has changed since the 80 and 90’s. Back in those days the order of importance was: Postups, free throws, penetration and 3 pters. Today is almost the exact reverse which is due to the defensive changes and analytics which recognise the higher Pts per possession a 3 gives.

So my take the SBL Grand final (or whatever it’s called instead) the Senators feasted at the post and free throw lines. Well planned and executed, however how sustainable is this against a Hawks team loaded with imports though? Or increased size thru restricted players.
The Hawks game style is pretty good, they score prolifically from 3pt and penetration (pass penetration much of the time, their back cuts are almost their trademark). If they find a way to score form the free throw line by drawing more fouls, add in their extra personnel next year.. they are going to be a handful to beat. Very well coached and a great club culture that goes back 30+ years.

Reply #818362 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

And it got buried did it? Haha maybe that's why I hardly ever check in, a very small minority seem to positively contribute. I won’t comment on the rest.

Reply #818363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is the dumbest things I have ever heard

Reply #818364 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Nice try :)

Reply #818365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jessie Edwards to Cougars

Reply #818373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's hardly breaking news.

Reply #818379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's still news.

Reply #818381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Kobe, the 4 ways to score the ball are: Postups, 3pters, off penetration and the free throw line....

Many times in games I used to pick an opposition having trouble defending a type of action and we would start to use that more and more."

You found my weakness, I suck at defending someone shooting free throws, my go to defensive move in this instance is to fart and hope the bad smell puts the shooter off

Reply #818433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Farting.
More of an offensive smell than an offensive foul.

Reply #818435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, Jessie(Cockburn) and Tom(Rocko) gone down the hill. Who knew the Cougars had the money to spend?

DD out at Warwick. Might be an opening at the church to.

Reply #818448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tom who?

Reply #818449 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Knowles.

Reply #818451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tom Knowles?

Reply #818454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who knew the Cougs had money?

One look at the program and it's clear they’ve been deliberately conservative for a few years. Smart strategy for long term gain.. big improvers on both sides next couple of years #sustainable

Reply #818455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cashed up Cougs been going hard to get Isenbarger too

Reply #818459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How cashed up are these clubs.
I mean what is the so called salary cap amount?

Reply #818460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Salary cap? does that even exist?

Reply #818462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is cashed up in SBL terms?

Reply #818463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

all you guys better bring that same 'boUgHt a ChAmPiONshIp" and "wHaT aBoUT oUr JuNiOrS" energy to cockburn like you do every other club that is actually a successful

Reply #818464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Opening at Kalamunda. Don't have to be Einstein to figure out that Mansfield's back at the helm. I wonder how many players he'll poach this time around

Reply #818466 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Willetton MSBL will be looking for new coach also

Reply #818467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's happening with Stephen Black?

Reply #818468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They realized he rather play his average performing brother over actual talented players

Reply #818469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

s black to hawks alongside wife?

Reply #818473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about Parsons?

Reply #818487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking forward to Tigers new stadium.

Reply #818488 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They're getting another one already?

Reply #818489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry Kobyrulz my bad.

Reply #818499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rockingham flames jumped the gun on the appointment of tom Knowles.
he has had some good teams and hasn't got it done . anyway good luck to tom and the flames there track record is second to none but I believe there is better coaches out there.

Reply #818516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The church have parted ways with Steve Bezant. Lots of vacancies on the women's side

Reply #818559 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:03 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754