Winston does his Olympic bit...

After reading countless posts on the Boomers loss to the USA containing cheap shots at the usual suspects, I thought it was time to brush off the cobwebs and say my bit.

I'm afraid that not many people will be able to take SA Ball very seriously if the crux of arguments are based on Goorjian being a 'Tosser', Sydney jealousy and 'Lovechild' remarks. This doesn't mean that I disagree with all of them; it's just that few have bothered to explain in any more detail than schoolyard lingo.

Firstly, it was an entertaining game of basketball and the Boomers gave it a good crack. Without stating the obvious, it is universally agreed that our fourth quarter effort was lacking and got what it deserved ('our' meaning the whole team, including coach).

While Team USA are not the strongest team to represent America at the Olympics, player for player they still are an impressive assortment; A fact I believe many have forgotten. Their indifferent attitude is perplexing but it was always inevitable that at sometime they would focus long enough to make a run. As it turned out all they needed was 4 minutes.

The player rotations were a concern (and have been for ALL the games) to say the least. When Nielsen was in foul trouble, what better time than to go big with Rogers, Bogut (he is a gun  that left handed hook is beautiful to watch) and Anderson to clog up the middle? Rogers is one of the more experienced European campaigners and unlike some have suggested, played very well at Sydney 2000.

Team USA haven't shot jumpers well so it would have been a better time to test this part of their game rather than their transition game - which was working just fine.

Of course transition is created from defense and our shot selection made that pretty easy. Now in general, I have little time for Heal but against my better judgment can't blame him entirely. He is a 3 point shooter, and he was left on court. Our offence structure was so one dimensional and stagnant that his shots were sometimes the only option.

He did shoot some shockers but think of the scenario if he didn't. Someone has to assume leadership and take charge. If Heal didn't take the shots, who was on the court that could have shot better - in the offensive structure we were running? Worse still, if he had not shot how many shot clock violations would we have had? Even with Brett in his place, it would not make up for the shamble of an offence we were running.

Now we come to the real problem - the coach. To qualify: Brian Goorjian is one of my least favorite basketball identities in this country for a myriad of reasons (but I won't elaborate as many are probably the same as all of you). He did have moments of brilliance early however. Mixing up our offence and defense was done at just the right time and some early substitutions worked well. He also kept faith in his players and game plan long enough to make adjustments and get it right.

What was unforgivable was re-injecting Nielsen into an unchanged defense late in the fourth that was starting to see the US attack and get to the charity line. It was no surprise when he fouled out immediately. Why not go big - make them earn it with a few pointy elbows from fresh legs (ie Rogers) and inject Nielsen back in as a scoring threat once the US had retreated back to first quarter uncertainty?

Why not try a combo of Saville and Cat as a taller 3 point option? They can both swing the ball quickly and have quick release shots. I won't go on as there are many other 'what if' scenarios but the point is what we had, and continued to go with was not working and needed to be changed.

It reminded me of a super structured magic outfit that didn't know what hit them when their plan wasn't working against the Sixers in '98. Yes, that was the same Goorjian and a strikingly similar result.

Now comes the point I found most disheartening (this has been mentioned in other posts) - the final 2 minutes. I believe that we resigned ourselves to defeat when Nielsen was fouled out (The significance of that play cannot be underestimated). Our body language showed the world with 2 minutes to go that we were happy with 'a pretty good' effort against a mightier foe.

This is not the Australian spirit I remember, but more amazing is that the game was still there to be won. The last play was not the problem (the game WAS really over by then, we may have been practicing a last shot play in case we need it again?) but it was the minute beforehand. I will never forget watching Denver win an NBA game after being down by 9 points with 8 seconds to play - it's called the will to win. If the players were tired it's a coaching responsibility.

I believe the heavy criticism of Saville and Bruton is harsh and that they played the role they were required to. Remember LeBron, and Jefferson (among others) also looked a shadow of their regular club form - the Olympics is a different ball game. Brett and Cat do deserve a better run but we can only hope that our esteemed coach can learn from his mistakes - again.

To bring the tone back to a more positive note - nothing still should cloud the fact that the Boomers played one of their most memorable games. Not even the Sydney-biased team, the 'lovechild' or that tosser Goorjian.

Note: The 92 USA team was officially dubbed the Dream team. The subsequent teams have tried to shed that title.

ps Isaac - great site.

Topic #475 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I agree with all of this. I don't think too many people are that far off the general consensus with their criticisms.

I think what makes it so frustrating is that this was our best chance at picking up a huge win and will remain that best opportunity for another four years. Will the coach remember to learn from his mistakes four years from now? (I didn't see the game against Greece but shouldn't Goorjian have learnt from that last quarter?)

Reply #3877 | Report this post

solid gold  
Years ago

Winsten you could become a crowd favourite. nice shut down on Cortez. Gold pure gold

Reply #3880 | Report this post

Archtung  
Years ago

Great post Winston, would like to read more from you and may be a good idea to send your CV to the Advertiser!

Reply #3888 | Report this post

Stats  
Years ago

I concur

Great post - you have managed to put into words what I (and I assume a lot of others) have been thinking about this isuue

Hope to hear more from you

Reply #3891 | Report this post

Thanks all for the feedback. I hope to post more often.

Isaac - You bring up a good point in that 4 years is a long time between drinks to learn from your mistakes. We need a quick thinking strategic coach who can adopt on the fly. Remember it took Goorj 2 grandfinal losses in the NBL before he adjusted - that doesn't leave me with the biggest Colgate ring of confidence.

Cheers,
WG

Reply #3935 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I am concerned at the Boomers "succession planning" (to coin the current corporate buzz phrase).

Who is going to run the point in 4 years?? Heal wont be there, Maher will be retired, which leaves CJ as the only guard with Olympics court experience.

That was also poor planning from Goorjian, along with his lack lustre second half coaching decisions, and seemingly general lack of knowledge on the opposition.

The fact that Australian media ranked the Boomers at 4th, and they have failed to even get out of the pool matches to me shows a HUGE under acheivement.

Reply #3938 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

I think there are some very talented point guards coming through (my call is Markovic and Black will be the Boomers PGs in 2008).

Winston - great post. It's about time someone tried to put some sort of positivity into this Olympic campaign.

(But, and I'm sorry to do this, Denver lost that game. They did score 9 points in 8 secs to come from 8 down to 1 up, but they then fouled Hornacek, who hit both free-throws and Utah won by 1pt.) However, your point about the will to win remains valid. The Nuggets could have just quit, but they didn't, and it still remains one of the most extraordinary things if seen in basketball.

Reply #3953 | Report this post

solid gold  
Years ago

Yogee you dont pick players for the next Olympics. You pick the best 12 available. Goorijan can use the World Champs if they qualify, to ready the next group of guards. Goorijan can be criticised for many things but this is not one.

Reply #3965 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Thats funny solid gold, because that is what Smyth tried to do...get a new group through because of 5 retirements (Heal, Gaze, Bradtke, Longley and.....sheesh last one escapes me for now)....lost to NZ with the best team he could assemble, and got pushed out for his troubles.

It IS about succession programming, you need to whilst play your "main core" players, you also need expose the next generation to that level of competition.

Reply #3972 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:25 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754