Luuuc
Years ago

Wildcats sign import John Mooney

Wildcats sign college star John Mooney

The Perth Wildcats are excited to introduce its latest import player signing, American power forward John Mooney.
Standing at 206cm and weighing 111kg, Mooney is a beast on the boards, leading the NCAA in both defensive rebounds and double-doubles last season.
The 23-year-old is excited to begin his professional career with the reigning NBL champions.
"I'm humbled and flattered for the interest Perth has given me and I couldn’t be more excited to have signed my deal. I understand the Wildcats organisation values winning, working hard and setting a great example for the community. All of these values align with mine and I can’t wait to help Perth compete for a third-straight title," said Mooney.
“Fans can expect a player who will give it 100 per cent all every game and every possession. I am a guy who is very coachable and wants to improve in between games. I’m extremely passionate about the game and will help my team win in any way I can.
“I’m looking forward to learning from a championship organisation. I’m excited to be a member of the Australian community and I’m very much looking forward to meeting the Australian people, whom I’ve heard are awesome!”
John Mooney attended Lake Brantley High School in Florida and, after fielding offers from numerous elite basketball schools, committed to the University of Notre Dame.
His output improved in each of his four collegiate seasons with the Fighting Irish and, in his senior year, averaged 16.7 points and 12.7 rebounds per game, as well as 1.7 assists, 1.3 steals and 0.9 blocks.
It took him just 15 games to grab 200 rebounds, making him the quickest major conference player to reach 200 rebounds in a season since NBA legend Tim Duncan in 1996/97 (14 games) and superstar Blake Griffin in 2008/09 (15 games).
He and Duncan are the only Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) players to average 12-plus rebounds per game in consecutive seasons since 1988.
Mooney is also a strong finisher around the rim, converting at a rate of 46.2 per cent from the field, and has the ability to connect from three - going at 35.8 per cent from long range throughout his college career.
Wildcats coach Trevor Gleeson believes Mooney is the perfect fit for his side.
“John’s versatile, can play the four or five and shoot the ball from the three. He’s six-foot-nine, he’s strong, he can score and obviously rebound the ball, but he also has a very good basketball IQ,” he said.
“Those rebounding stats transfer straight to professionalism, and he’s been producing those numbers in the best college conference in America. John also has a strong work ethic, he wants to keep improving, he has a team-first attitude.
“We believe John has the tools to play in the NBA in the future and we are excited we’ve got his signature.”
John Mooney’s collegiate awards include 2020 All-ACC First Team selection, USBWA All-District selection and he was a finalist for the Karl Malone Award for Top Collegiate Power Forward.
He joins Mitch Norton, Bryce Cotton, Todd Blanchfield, Jesse Wagstaff, Clint Steindl, Majok Majok, Wani Swaka Lo Buluk, Kevin White, Luke Travers (development player) and Taylor Britt (development player) on the Perth Wildcats 2020/21 roster.

Link

Topic #47520 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

can they make him a ns signing

Reply #815180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should have been ns

Reply #815184 | Report this post

Sourbroker  
Years ago

^ Surely, what's good for the Hawk if good for the gander...

Reply #815185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm glad Perth didn't try and take the piss and sign him as a NS.

Reply #815191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well i guess AJ is your starting centre

Reply #815192 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Fits the Kay mould in being able to play 4/5 and range out to three point line.

Still not excited about the possibility of Pledger or Ogilvy joining Perth.

Perth have enough veterans would like to see a younger player with upside even if Majok starts.

Reply #815193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he was ns, they could have plumlee.

If cotton was citizen and Mooney ns, they could have plumlee and another import.

Reply #815194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I called AJ to Perth weeks ago but was laughed at.

Reply #815196 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulz  
Years ago

Yeah, pretty underwhelming signing and a big downgrade from Kay (who I thought we'd struggle to find a comparable replacement anyway). Thought they'd go for a more experienced import to pair with Bryce.

Looking at his YT highlights, seems like he does most of his offence around the basket and is unlikely to stretch the floor. Runs the floor ok but will be interesting to see how he deals with more athletic opponents.

At his size he should be playing the centre position in the NBL - we'd need to find a more athletic player who can defend the rim and stretch the floor to pair with him.

Reply #815198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is the same as Kay athletically.

They'll get plumlee too and maybe a ns, no worries for Perth.

Reply #815199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure how you can say he's a big downgrade on Kay.

Reply #815202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton to naturalise in coming weeks, Plumlee to get locked in as starting centre.

Hoops forum to explode and complain about how unfair having a naturalised Cotton on a team is.

Reply #815207 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

Out of interest - can Perth run Blanchfield at the 4 and go full stretch? Given the current front courts and the absence of Bogut/Long types, you'd think its possible...?

Reply #815208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norton/White/Britt
Cotton/NS/Buluk
Blanchfield/Steindl/Travers
Mooney/Wagstaff
Plumlee/Majok

Reply #815209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's no way the Cats will recruit a NS over Wani. They want to develop Wani into a future star. If anything, I'd say they'd get a PG NS to share minutes with White and Britt

Reply #815212 | Report this post

Wilbur  
Years ago

Nice next star signing.

Reply #815213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Feels like Perth may be banking on cottons papers coming through

Reply #815214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought combo guard ns

Reply #815215 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulz  
Years ago

Not being able to space the floor reliably is a big downgrade on Kay. His 3P% increasingly went down on greater volume each year in college. Not a reliable FT shooter either.

These issues would be exacerbated if they pair him with Plumlee with the two sharing the same space on the floor.

Reply #815216 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

Sums up state of Nbl...expect more low grade imports for a few years

Reply #815218 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Guy seems very solid, has a mid/long range jumper similar to Matty Knight which I feel we've missed from the C spot. Didn't see any highlights of him hitting any 3's, looked super strong under the bucket. As said above I can see the Cats at times of rolling out a 3pt shooting lineup such as:

PG: Norton
SG: Cotton
SF: Steindl
PF. Blanchfield/Jesse
C: Mooney

If that lineup catches fire who's going to stop them?

Reply #815219 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Heck, why not go,

PG: Cotton
SG: Steindl
SF: Blanch
PF: Jesse
C: Mooney

Reply #815220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he looks like he will play the centre spot. Most of youtube feedback looks like it. Do cats have a smaller forward on their radar.

Reply #815224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is a video on his instagram of him working on his outside shot. I'm sure it will come along in time.

Reply #815225 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Next Star is an interesting one, would like to see Perth get one.
Don't think it will be a point guard if they were getting one they wouldn't already have three players in that position.
Travers and Lo Buluk look to be the future in wing positions. A big is what they need.

Reply #815227 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

WTF?
So what wildcats are just writing off next season?
Banchfield, White, now some kid straight out of college?
Who's our starting centre, Luke Neville?

Reply #815228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

James Ennis came straight out of college. Not sure why you think this is a bad thing Dazz.

Reply #815232 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Oh Dazz you strange fella.

Reply #815233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They couldn't sign him as a next star even if they wanted too as he isn’t projected to go in the draft, 1st or 2nd round.

Reply #815234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's on some late 2nd round boards

Reply #815235 | Report this post

Wilbur  
Years ago

Cotton will become an Australian citizen by Australia Day.

The NBL looks very likely to start from February next year.

Plumlee will be back, and there you have the two imports plus an Aussie Cotton.

Reply #815238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plumlee and mooney would be a slow defensive front court against the smaller NBL forwards centres. Foul count would be an issue.

If they get another import slot then I would see Mooney being in the 5 spot and an agile White/Hopson style import being picked up.

Reply #815239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oh dazz
you really do talk some tripe
remember how bad it worked out for the cats when they got that Lisch guy straight out of college
it's bad enough when a team has spoiled fans but even worse when they cry and carry on like petulant toddlers

Reply #815240 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Cotton will become an Australian citizen by Australia Day.

The NBL looks very likely to start from February next year.

Thank you COVID-19.

Reply #815243 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

As I said,
We've replaced Damo with White, that's a big step backwards
Terrico with Blanchfield, backwards,
and now Kay with a kid,
my point is that the team has gone backwards with every signing

Remains to be seen how other teams go, but I think the league will be very competitive.

Reply #815244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imagine lol...

Norton/White
Cotton/Steindl/Buluk
Hopson(I)/Blanchfield
Mooney(NS)/Wagstaff
Plumlee(I)/Majok

Reply #815245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay is not exactly a seasoned veteran.

And I don't know that Blanchfield is much a step down from Terrico, because Terrico went missing in far too many games last season.

Reply #815249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terrico went about his business with out any fuss, offensively he'd go missing at times but always needed guarding, defensively very good. Cotton is a super star but Batman had Robin and Bryce had Terrico. He’ll be a big loss.

Reply #815250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disagree with that. Terrico was a passenger far too often last season on both ends of the court.

Reply #815254 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Most likely NBL starts 03Dec2020

Reply #815256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't win championships with passengers, certainly not with players that play big minutes. White did what had to be done.

Reply #815260 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

before his injury, Terrico was outstanding,

Reply #815268 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Terrico was always a threat and had to be guarded accordingly even when he was having an off night.

Reply #815271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of people are saying Ogilvy to Perth is an obvious move.

I say that he is the Tin Man of the NBL and the Perth faithful would eat him up and spit him out.

Reply #815296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aj to cairns seems more likely.

Reply #815297 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

I see 3 likely reasons for this signing:

1: they seem him as a great player with size and strength and see him as solid contributor for this year and beyond.

2: they expect/know Cottons citizenship is due soon and are saving some coin for another Import.

3: they see the potential that due to stupidity and selfishness of some people in this country, this virus may can the season and they don't want to heavily invest time and cash in to a high profile signing who won't play a single minute.

Im hoping its 1 or 2.

Reply #815299 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Even playing for the home team won't help AJ as he's too spooked by the Red Army and Perth Arena.

Reply #815302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For the first time in history the red army would heckle one of their own

Reply #815307 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulz  
Years ago

Would literally throw up my innards if AJ comes across.

Reply #815309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No AJ 4perf we hate his lack of effort here

Reply #815310 | Report this post

Wilbur  
Years ago

AJ is not coming to Perth

Reply #815318 | Report this post

Wilbur  
Years ago

Wildcats in talks with Andrew Ferguson. They will swing the 4 and 5 positions around as needed but by getting Ferguson, he can learn his craft here and develop while the Covid19 situation in America settles down. He has NBA ability in him. Wildcats are excited to get him.

Reply #815319 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Wilbur your troll attempts are lame.

Reply #815321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Underwhelming signing for a team that is supposed to contend

Reply #815328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The guy that lead that the NCAA in rebounding is underwhelming?

Reply #815332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The guy that lead that the NCAA in rebounding is underwhelming?"

Being a strong rebounder is nice, but at the end of the day Greg Hire was a strong rebounder and was considered an average player.

I think the Cats need a star at that PF position. I have question marks over his shooting and defence.

Reply #815347 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Seeing as Mooney can play some 5 are Perth better off looking for another forward.
Still start Mooney and Majok but slide Mooney to centre when the forward comes in.

Reply #815348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never underestimate Gleeson and wildcats, this time last year it was all going to shit and they still won it.

Reply #815349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#347 Greg Hire averaged 3 rebounds his entire career. Whatever else you wrote didn't matter

Reply #815350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crazy the Wildcats didn't consult an anon on Hoops to get his tick of approval.

Reply #815351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Seeing as Mooney can play some 5 are Perth better off looking for another forward.
Still start Mooney and Majok but slide Mooney to centre when the forward comes in."

I like this school of thought but it seems the wildcats are keen on plumlee if Cotton citizenship comes through

Reply #815357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"#347 Greg Hire averaged 3 rebounds his entire career. Whatever else you wrote didn't matter"

He only averaged 9-10 minutes. That's pretty good in that amount of time for a small forward.

The fact he only played that amount of time despite being an excellent rebounder showed that you need to bring more than rebounding to be a star

Reply #815360 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Never underestimate Gleeson and wildcats, this time last year it was all going to shit and they still won it.
WTF do you mean?
"This time last year" was the pre-season.
Our only changes last season were signing Jook to replace Tommy, which was an upgrade on his recent form.
Lo Buluk to replace Hire, which gave us a genuine SF on the bench.

Yes sure, later many of us whinged about signing Hunt to replace Brandt, but we swapped him out for Plums and it was all good.

Reply #815372 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Perth are a lock for top 4.

Reply #815373 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Seeing as Mooney can play some 5 are Perth better off looking for another forward.
Still start Mooney and Majok but slide Mooney to centre when the forward comes in.
I like this school of thought but it seems the wildcats are keen on plumlee if Cotton citizenship comes through

It will indeed be interesting to see firstly who we sign for that last spot. It appears very likely that somebody will be a place-holder until Cotton Naturalises. So is that White? Wagstaff? Or will we sign somebody like Andersen or Pledger to that last spot?

The other question is whether the rumour about Plumlee is true? If so its really going to piss off opposition fans when we have 5 o/s players in a few years. (6 if you count Jook! lol)

Reply #815375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats should jump all over Pledger if he's available. Local, experienced and provides genuine length. I think he's got more potential than his previous teams have let him show as well.

Reply #815381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This would be the better outcome imo.

Perth Wildcats-Gleeson

6'1 M.Norton/6’2 K.White
6’1 B.Cotton(I)/(NS)/6’5 W.Buluk
6’7 T.Blanchfield/6’7 C.Steindl
6’10 J.Bolden/6’8 J.Wagstaff
6’9 J.Mooney(I)/6’9 M.Majok

DP
6’2 T.Britt PG
6’7 L.Travers SF

Reply #815383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mooney plays C
Bolden to fill pf spot
NS post player
Cotton naturalises.
They get an import sf or pg mid season depending on performances of Norton or blanch

Reply #815384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Hawks can get Jessup as a 'Next Star' Why the hell wouldn't Perth do the same with Mooney? This guy put up goods numbers in a good conference and will at the least have teams looking at him. Jessup IMO won't be drafted. Perth could use Mooney as NS then add another import and if Cotton finally gets his citizenship they'd have 2 import spots up their sleeves and would be a lock to win the title.

Reply #815386 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Do Next Stars have to be ratified by the League since they are paying 100k?

Maybe Mooney didn't want a 2 year contract, thats just a guess.

Reply #815391 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It goes both ways as what club would want to lock themselves in for two years with an unproven-in-NBL import.

Reply #815394 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

A have club such as Perth that is, rather than a have not.

Reply #815395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It goes both ways as what club would want to lock themselves in for two years with an unproven-in-NBL import."

But if he was a Next Star, he wouldn't count as an import and his salary would be paid for by the league, in which case I think you'd take the two years.

If Mooney can be classified as a NS, then that opens the door for an additional import, in which case I would be comfortable calling Perth a top 4 side. As things currently stand though, they don't have much margin for error.

They've arguably downgraded at every position around Cotton.
Damo & Norton timeshare to Norton & K White
Terrico to Blanchfield
Kay to Mooney
Plumlee to Majok/Other local

Reply #815407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes next stars are paid by the league, SEM had a next star last season that never played. If Mooney was good like Didi play him, if not nothing lost sitting on the bench.
Something is not adding up .

Reply #815408 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Wildcats and Alex Pledger. Watch this space. Something is happening here.

Reply #815425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D2.0 - Nice Luke Nevill call back

Reply #815433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol "lock for top 4" "who's going to stop them". Wow.

Blanchfield = downgrade on White, one of the most hot and cold shooters in the league. Significant downgrade on White defensively.

Mooney = can't space the floor, doesn't have Kay's scoring ability and unproven in a professional league.

Kevin White = A poor poor poor poor man's Martin.

Teams won't have to stop them, they'll stop themselves. Expect Cotton to be carrying them all season because no one else on this team can.

Gonna need a stud import.

Reply #815439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mooney = can't space the floor, doesn't have Kay's scoring ability

How do you know all this?

Reply #815449 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The premier basketball video analysts reside on Hoops.

Reply #815457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld your team looks shit even you've got enough braincells to acknowledge that.

Reply #815460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you're not getting Jonah Bolden. Simply put he's out of this leagues price range and out of Perths. Give up that narrative. Enjoy Blanchfield and Kevin White haha.

Reply #815461 | Report this post

King  
Years ago

29% from deep. Leave him open from and he'll likely miss.

The dude played against teenagers. This is a lacklustre signing to say the least. Let's see how he goes against pros.

Something tells me he'll have a shocker run and be given the boot.

Reply #815464 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulz  
Years ago

He has an ugly hitch in his jumper that will probably prevent him being a reliable shooter. Happy to be wrong but his college stats on increasing volume don't bode well.

Reply #815466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guess who else had shocking 3pt stats in college....

Reply #815468 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

It was reported this morning in the West Australian.

- Mooney has an NBA out clause so will remain in the states for now in case he manages to get drafted
- Cats are sitting on the C spot in case Cotton's naturalistion gets through and Plumlee is top of the list if that happens

Reply #815481 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

^ which means if Ogilvy or Pledger want a spot they should consider going elsewhere.

Reply #815482 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

A man can only hope Cornhlio...

Reply #815484 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Mooney has an NBA out clause so will remain in the states for now in case he manages to get drafted
Firstly, WTF? What are the chances of this guy getting drafted AND getting a contract??
Secondly, how is he not a Next Star?

Cats are sitting on the C spot in case Cotton's naturalistion gets through
That makes no sense.
They can't hold open a vital slot, just "in case". Considering that if the "in case" doesn't pan out they'll be stuck putting in a call to Tommy Jervis.
It DOES line up with the rumours we have been hearing, but the assumption is that either they KNOW his citizenship is close, OR one of the players they are signing is a stop-gap
White would be the front-runner for that honour, but it remains to be seen how they complete the roster. If they sign another guard, then presumably WHite is it, but if they sign Andersen its probably him.
(Or indeed they know its coming through and will sign Plums.)

Reply #815505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

John Mooney a Next Star
LMAO DAZZ!!

Reply #815506 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Ok D2.0, you obviously know better than the actual players and coaches themselves.

Mooney has not been invited to the draft combine, however has been in talks with NBA teams about a slim possibility he may be drafted. Cats are fine with this and it was written in the contract.

"That makes no sense."

Lol, it makes perfect sense. I'd suggest they know it's close and with another 4 months to go they are happy to wait. The C spot has never been the focus for the Cats, a tall guy is essentially all they need.

Reply #815508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"John Mooney a Next Star
LMAO DAZZ!!"

Why can't he be a next star? he seems to fit the criteria of other recent NS's...

Reply #815509 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Why can't he be a next star? he seems to fit the criteria of other recent NS's..."

I think they have to be confirmed to be going to an NBA team to be a NS and he's not officially on anyone's radar. I could be wrong, but that's the gist I get? Melo and Hampton were projected draft picks, Didi was on the Pelican's roster, but yeah, the NBL shift the goal posts.

Reply #815512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's very ambiguous

Reply #815515 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

It sure is, can't really see an official NS Rule/Description anywhere.

Reply #815516 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Why can't he be a next star? he seems to fit the criteria of other recent NS's..."

I think they have to be confirmed to be going to an NBA team to be a NS
He would seem to be in the exact same situation as Jessup

Reply #815518 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"That makes no sense."
Lol, it makes perfect sense. I'd suggest they know it's close and with another 4 months to go they are happy to wait.
I love it when people tell me I'm wrong,
then contradict themselves and proceed to agree with me.
You said it was reported that "Cats are sitting on the C spot in case", and as I said, it makes no sense that they would hold open a critical slot "in case", and that to do so they must have a high certainty that its coming, and coming soon.

The C spot has never been the focus for the Cats, a tall guy is essentially all they need.
LMFAO
Dario Hunt and Derek Cooked say high

Reply #815519 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Dario Hunt and Derek Cooked say high"

WTF are you talking about? These guys are just essentially tall guys, they were prob the 5th best player on the court at all times..smh. Derek was definitely cooked.

Reply #815545 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

John Mooney press conference

Reply #822730 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Classy

Reply #822732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just another boring presser.

Reply #822817 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:10 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754