PyroCross
Years ago

Cairns sign Jordan Ngatai

Surprising tweet from Olgun - Ngatai to fill the backup forward spots. Kenny and Ngatai played together for the Otago Nuggets for the Kiwi NBL Showcase.

Topic #47521 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, what a crap signing given who's still available as a sf.

Reply #815182 | Report this post

Sourbroker  
Years ago

Wow. Incredibly inconsistent player, I would have signed Rusbatch over Ngatai. And would have signed Vodonovich over both...

Reply #815186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also had Coenraad, Pozoglou, vukona etc etc

Reply #815188 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Coenraad won't play elsewhere it's Hawks or retirement.

Reply #815189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BUST

Reply #815195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cheap

Reply #815206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Solid player who can can get it done with out fanfare. Good defensively, Kelly showing he's a smart operator with a small budget.

Reply #815223 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Probably good for Ngatai to get away from the Breakers and out of NZ in general and throw himself into the deep end in an unfamiliar environment. It's time for him to sink or swim really.

I've seen some games where he seems to have an impressive skill set but most of the time either struggles with confidence or can't mentally get past the hurdle of playing behind more senior players from the Breakers/Tall Blacks system.

A very shrewd low-risk signing by Cairns even at 27 I think he still has untapped potential.

Reply #815226 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

You numbnuts forget who he's replacing....
It’s a major upgrade.

Reply #815283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This ^

Reply #815288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Noi should take a step up this season, how big is the question, but you would think the majority of playing time is his to lose at the 3

Reply #815290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ngatai is woeful.

Cheap, but surely there are a number of *better* players who are at the same price.

Yuck.

Reply #815295 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I like this signing, I'd expected him to be in the conversation for most improved but he hasn't gotten in the rotation and it really is sink or swim but he's replacing George who gets less time so hopefully Noi stays healthy or Ngatai could see big minutes this season and above posters have me questioning what I've seen in him thus far.

Good luck Jordan

Reply #815352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would have given Pozoglou his shot.

Reply #815353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#295 calling an international representative woeful as an anon is kinda hysterical

Reply #815354 | Report this post

Years ago

Ngatai 19/20

10 mins per game

1.18 ppg
1.18 rpg
27% fg / 50% ft

What isn't woeful about that? God damn!

If he is a rep for the Tall Blacks, then their program must be pretty piss poor right now.

Reply #815385 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Those stats feel bogus as there was no way you can tell me that Ngatai played 1/4 of every game last season, he was lucky to get on the court but I remember him getting a few shots up and looking good. If he averaged 1.5 points then what would his stats be like without that decent court time game he got late in the season?

Reply #815393 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Ngatai is a perimeter guy - SF/SG. He's actually really handy when confident, and should get confidence from a consistent role. Hopefully we grab an import big because our front line is weak. That leaves more opportunity for King/Noi/Ngatai.

What he does this season will SHOCK you.

Reply #815409 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Ngatai will be decent at Cairns. He's a capable defender and can nail open perimeter shots and isn’t scared to put the ball on the floor.

Reply #815427 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:09 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754