anon
Years ago

Brett Brown job security

this snippet of an article is why Elton brand should be sacked and not Brett Brow, its likely brown is gone but Elton brand has destroyed the future unless he can pull of some remarkable trades to free up some cap space to re balance the team.

Simmons and Joel Embiid are both owed around $US29 million next season. But it's their teammates who are the problem.

Tobias Harris, who was unable to step up in Simmons’ absence, will cash in over $34 million next year on a deal that runs all the way until the 2023/24 season, when he’ll be owed $39 million.

Al Horford had been demoted to the bench before Philly’s Australian star got injured. He will make approx. $27 million next season, and around that for the two seasons that follow.

Meanwhile, Josh Richardson, who is heading into the final two years of his deal, will make nearly $11 million in the 2020/21 season.

Point is, with the exception of Richardson, the Sixers have a whole lot of money — just over $120 million ($A168m) — committed to four players they already know can’t play together.

And none of those contracts are running out any time soon.

Topic #47559 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a Celtic's fan, watching that last series, Horford looked old and slow at times. not worth the money he is promised but good on him for getting the deal, silly by 6ers for paying it.

i have a feeling Brown will be moved on, even though he rebuilt that programme from a basket case to a contender, had injuries not impacted. but winning a title is hard to do.

Reply #815961 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

You can argue that Brand hasn't performed too - not sure I completely agree with that sentiment - but let's be frank: Brown should go. Multiple players have hit out at him publicaly over his lack of accountability, their scouting and defensive schemes etc.

This roster was workable IMO, but needed a great coaching staff to fit the pieces together. That clearly didn't happen, even before Simmons' injury.

Reply #815963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No coach has job security, Brown has lasted longer than he should have already.

Reply #815967 | Report this post

Mobbin  
Years ago

Prob only 3-4 coaches with any job security (Pop, Spo, Kerr maybe Doc?) of the 30. It's easier to move/blame them then overpaid players or execs

Reply #815969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

looking back Colangelo stuffed it all up lost patience with the process, firstly trading up for Fultz was a mistake then Brand has totally let if spiral after that.
They were 1 shot away form Finals last year so not that bad overall.
I think what people should be realizing is how important Simmons is to the lineup. most teams loosing a superstar would struggle. Unfortunately for the Sixers they have to get past Boston their bogey team, nor frustrating as Tatum could have been be a Sixer..

Reply #815970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i thought it might be about the Australian Boomers team coaching job.

Reply #815974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brown will get the sack clearly and Elton Brand should follow closely behind him!

Brand has managed to stuff the roster completely with poor signing and over paying players.

Brown had his chance and not helped by Brand but this is the NBA life when you can't get it done!

Reply #815975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They built a decent roster which would work better if the primary ball handler wasn't scared to shoot the ball.

Reply #815977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"looking back Colangelo.." the Hawks guy? I don't follow the NBA.

Reply #815979 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

One thing that hurts them is they missed a new chance to see how Simmons fared in the playoffs against Boston. That might've helped them confidently make a decision on the Embiid-Simmons pairing.

Reply #815982 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Harris and Horford's contracts are ridiculous.

Harris is on a significantly bigger contract than Embiid. And Horford's is comparable- he earnt more than Embiid this year and less over the next couple of years.

An all round stuff up.

I havent followed it terribly closely, but to lose that Raptors series with Kawhi's game 7 winner....and end up like this 12 months later is just disastrous.

Even without Simmons, getting swept is unacceptable though. Brown should probably go, as should whoever signed those Harris and Horford deals.

Reply #815983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brett Brown is done.

There are 22 NBA teams out there searching for a talent like Embiid or Simmons. How did he cake it so badly with both...

Reply #815985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#815979 Yes its the same Bryan Colangelo that's now involved with the Hawks.

Reply #815986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What can you say of the process now? Have Embiid and Simmons, but the fails on Fultz, Okafur and Noel aren't great, trading Saric and Covington for Butler and ending up with Richardson another disaster. Brown was good while they were treading water and loading up on talent, but they need a change. Harris and Horford are bad contracts in hindsight, but Horford was supposed to be that veteran leader they needed with the youngsters. And the new coach has the have the same thoughts as Shaq and Barkley, insist Embiid stays in the post, no one in league can guard him there, don't let him roam on the perimeter.
Apparently Cleveland are in the mix for Simmons. If 76ers can swap Horford for Love that would bring some 3 point shooting to space floor for Embiid. Then some picks and Sexton and maybe some other throw ins might make it work. Cleveland are probably run worse than Philadelphia so they may overpay for Simmons for sure.

Reply #815987 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Brown is gone, which means that Simmons is gone too.

Simmons has made no secret of his desire to go to LA, specifically the Lakers. Suitable trades could make this a win-win for both teams.

Reply #815994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers ran sixth in the east with Simmons, hardly a ringing endorsement. He's going to have to shoot the ball and not just on you tube in practice.

Reply #815997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"And the new coach has the have the same thoughts as Shaq and Barkley, insist Embiid stays in the post, no one in league can guard him there, don't let him roam on the perimeter."

He doesn't roam on the perimeter, he tries to open the floor up because Simmons refuses to shoot.

Reply #815999 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

As a Celtics fan I was sad to see Horford go (even though I thought he was overpaid in Boston), because he was a good defender, a good low post player as well as being able to stretch the floor. Coach Stevens really made good use out of Al's skillset.

I was supportive of letting Horford go if that was his price tag.

At the Sixers Horford really never found his role under Brown. The synical side of me thought the Sixers got Horford to take away the Celtic's primary Embiid defender.

I don't think Brown is ALL to blame for this season but it always falls on the coach. Embiid's last game passing is not Brown fault, but I understand the coach has to fall on his sword.

Don't think thr Sixers are doomed, but the new coach really needs to know how to use those 4 big contracts.

Reply #816003 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I can appreciate that spending up for your championship window is worth the gamble and that Horford seemed like the right move, but it's obscene money and hamstrings you further into that window. Was there that much of a bidding war?

I would've thought Butler and Redick were the types of players you want to keep. Personally unless Embiid or Simmons were going to bail over Butler, I would've acquiesced to whatever he wanted, even if it meant dropping Brown as coach. Brown just doesn't have that reputation that you defer to him without question, yet Butler is a dynamo.

Reply #816008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Horford is still a solid player, but signing him when you already had Embiid and a 6-10 guy who can't shoot outside 10 feet running the point was idiotic. Brown is partly to blame but Philly’s roster balance this year was awful and that is on Brand. I wouldn’t be surprised if both of them get fired. It’s going to be a 'process’ for them to just get out of this mess

Reply #816009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what are the Lakers going to give up for Simmons, package of Caruso, Green and Rondo?

Reply #816014 | Report this post

todd  
Years ago

Brand and Brown both need to go.

Reply #816038 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:03 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754