Zodiac
Years ago

Channel 7 no longer want Big Bash cricket

Channel 7 has had a big falling out with Cricket Australia and wants to offload the Big Bash TV rights.

Last week, Channel 7 chief executive James Warburton delivered a scathing assessment of Cricket Australia's management, calling it a "trainwreck" and the “most incompetent” administration he has ever worked with.

Warburton warned Channel 7’s historic $450 million cricket deal could be terminated with four years remaining on the contract.

“We are forced to consider all our options including terminating the contract, and we have put them on notice,” Warburton told The Daily Telegraph.

“This is not an acceptable product, and we will not support the season. Cricket Australia have an obligation to deliver a competition of no lesser standard than the past.

“How stupid to schedule international cricket against the BBL and drain the resources of a competition already under pressure. It’s a joke, and it rips off the fans.

“We paid a huge price and were promised the world. There is an obligation to deliver the best quality to the broadcasters.

“It’s the most incompetent administration I’ve ever worked with, with no appointed full time chief executive officer at a time when the sport needs strong leadership to steer through these extraordinary times.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/channel-7-eager-to-offload-big-bash-league-in-bitter-dispute-with-cricket-australia/news-story/191c883825c89587aad9ac13c01fa955

Could be good news for the NBL hopefully LK is on the phone to Channel 7 as we speak.

Topic #47601 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

450 mil deal over how many yeRs was the contract?

Reply #816667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ WTF?

Reply #816671 | Report this post

Slopernator  
Years ago

Reported in the Australian over the weekend, C7 particularly sour over the player drain this coming season. Could be an opportunity but not counting on it, especialyl with a minimum 30-45 day delay to the season. We can live in hope though, Seven's sporting cupboard becomes awfully bare if cricket is dropped.

Reply #816673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We can live in hope yes, but seven is not the basketball answer. ESPN and ten package would be great. Just hope the cricket keeps crashing, there crowds were poor last season.
I believe the basketball should not start later than early December, it gives to many advantages to other sports to get rolling.

Reply #816682 | Report this post

synchro  
Years ago

Most likely that Seven will put any CA savings into securing Supercars from Ten (who have already announced not renewing contract). So maybe Ten does come into play for NBL - not Seven.

Reply #816689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't 7 completely stuff up the Supercars coverage a couple of years ago with it clashing with the footy?

Reply #816690 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

7 Nine and Ten Networks aren't looking for low ratings expensive sport, or even low rating free content which the NBL kinda do.

Reply #816694 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"ESPN and ten package would be great."

Hasn't TEN fucked the NBL over enough times for your liking?

"I believe the basketball should not start later than early December, it gives to many advantages to other sports to get rolling."

It would be an advantage, yes. But is it in any way practical? No.

"Last week, Channel 7 chief executive James Warburton delivered a scathing assessment of Cricket Australia's management, calling it a "trainwreck" and the "most incompetent" administration he has ever worked with.

Warburton warned Channel 7's historic $450 million cricket deal could be terminated with four years remaining on the contract.

“We are forced to consider all our options including terminating the contract, and we have put them on notice,” Warburton told The Daily Telegraph.

“This is not an acceptable product, and we will not support the season. Cricket Australia have an obligation to deliver a competition of no lesser standard than the past.

“How stupid to schedule international cricket against the BBL and drain the resources of a competition already under pressure. It’s a joke, and it rips off the fans.

“We paid a huge price and were promised the world. There is an obligation to deliver the best quality to the broadcasters.

“It’s the most incompetent administration I’ve ever worked with, with no appointed full time chief executive officer at a time when the sport needs strong leadership to steer through these extraordinary times.”"

Wow. You rarely ever see things worded that strongly.

Reply #816695 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

It will be great if Ten get the NBL again so we can watch MASH before the games.

Reply #816697 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"It will be great if Ten get the NBL again so we can watch MASH before the games."

Yep. Apparently "Live" games shown after midnight. I'd much prefer to stay on SBS to be honest. But Channel 7 could be a good home if we actually come up with a paid broadcast deal, even a modest one for a couple of million.

Reply #816701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Seven are trying to reduce the amount they're paying for Cricket like they were able to with the AFL. To do this they're claiming a breach of contract which Cricket Australia hasn't actually done (with 7) yet. Seven is also unhappy with the performance of the BBL over the past couple years since they got it, but I think it got ruined through over exposure, unpredictability in the schedule (whether games would be on TV every night, which was a simple concept for the BBL in the Ten years) and the lower quality of the broadcast with random commentators that they had laying around.

As for 10, they're not interested in picking up any sport at the moment and sacked their Head of Sport back in May. 10 recently shed their Supercars coverage (which is going to 7 next season). 10 recently got pushed into the Viacom side of ViacomCBS after the merger in January and are now in the same division (which based in the UK) as Channel 5 in the UK. I don't they're going to want the NBL and the NBL should still be burned from the 2011-12 season when they put the games on at 10:30 if they were lucky and 2am if they had better things to show. Good thing they were contracted to show 4 games the next season or else I don't think 10 would've renegotiated their contract.

Reply #816703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about every game nbl/wnbl to kayo?

Reply #816710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Used to watch BBL on 10 with the banter by the commentators, but some of the boring guys they got on 7 made me turn off. And would like to see MASH again.

Reply #816711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sbs should front up with the money they don't use on football anymore. Get some government money, it’s a national and world sport for f..k sakes.

Reply #816714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#710 Kayo Sports is an over-the-top video streaming subscription service available in Australia, owned by Streamotion. The service offers sports live and on demand from Fox Sports, ESPN, beIN Sports, and Racing.com. It doesn't produce any content itself so that would be a no.

Reply #816715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they dump it they won't pick up the NBL as no one watches the NBL!!

Reply #816718 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"If they dump it they won't pick up the NBL as no one watches the NBL!!"

Yeah that's the thing. Everyone sees a sport-sized whole and they immediately think we can put the NBL in it. But the NBL, at best, might average 60-80'000 viewers. Unless you're going to put it in place of Dr Quinn Medicine Woman or reruns of Judge Judy there's no real reason why a big channel would pick it up.

Reply #816720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's only one sport in this country that broadcasters legitimately fight over and thats AFL, don't try and tell me otherwise. NRL, NBL, cricket, soccer etc are all smaller market sports that struggle to draw ratings over a longer time period. Unless broadcasters can see guaranteed ratings I don't see them splashing money on things unnecessarily in this new COVID world

Reply #816721 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Cricket Australia has tin ear. The season is too long already, yet they increased the length of it again. By extending it means the international stars can't sign and play. By extending it local international Aussie stars can 't sign and play. The thing that got BBL going was the best of the best, all international stars playing from England, Windies, India, Sri Lanka, etc, etc, Gayle, Flintoff, Pieterson, Warner, Dhoni.
It's now all about corporate sponsorship and not about the game.

Reply #816741 | Report this post

lukn4atitle  
Years ago

All the players are on a Good WICKET and hope Channel 7 will BAIL them out if the need arises!

Reply #816751 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

$450mil lol. Ridiculous deal in the first place.

Reply #816753 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Cricket Australia totally screwed up. They wanted that billion dollar contract, I suspect a few execs had the word billion as part of their bonuses/KPI.

Channel Ten offered close to the billion mark, plus they offered to show all the cricket in Australia for Men plus women's games too. They were doing the big bash right and had a good thing going.

Instead we have International ODI and T20s neglected with nonexistent crowds thanks to having zero public coverage.

We have a big bash extended fixture wise beyond what it ought to be, with shitty times (why early arvo?! And why why early arvo on a weekday??)

Perth day-night test was silly for a game that’s already prime time on the east coast without being a day-nighter.

Add in bizarre fixturing last year probably due to the "test championship" the heavy favouritism of home games on cricket these days and the MCG producing subpar pitches and the Warner/smith nonsense and it has to be said the past few years have been a shitshow for CA

Reply #816754 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:54 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754