AK-47
Years ago

Brooklyn Nets sign Steve Nash as HC

This came out of nowhere..

https://www.espn.com.au/nba/story/_/id/29800840/nets-hire-hall-famer-steve-nash-head-coach

Topic #47602 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not really. I'd say it’s an appoint to appease Durant. Nash helped him rehab at GS

Reply #816675 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

I mean, any coach appointed would have been to appease Durant and/or Irving.

Nash as a HC candidate came out of nowhere. In saying that, I think he'll do well.

Reply #816677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What could go wrong!

Reply #816679 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

What does everyone think of Stephen Smith's rant about the Nash hiring as white privilege? Fact based or emotional, click bait, riding the BLM train?

Plenty of no HC experience black coaches over the years with Jason Kidd, Derek Fisher and Isiah Thomas coming to mind. Read an article saying that it is "former player/superstar privilege". Essentially KD and Kyrie getting to pick who they want like LeBron has done over the years, MJ etc.

Reply #816691 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

A good read here calling out Stephen Smith: https://deadspin.com/the-steve-nash-hire-isnt-about-white-privilege-1844944950

Think the author is African American too?

Reply #816692 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

If Nash can deal with Durant and Irving then good luck to him.

Reply #816696 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I saw a couple articles questioning a white hire with a black coach outgoing and if that's white privilege. I really dont like that connection being made.

I think it's more hall of fame privilege over white privilege in this case. I think any time a hall of fame player wants a shot at HC they get it, nothing to do with race in this instance.

Reply #816699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stephen A's job is to be controversial for attention, so he simply went that route. It’s not proper journalism where they have to fact check and be accountable/transparent, it’s simply to get attention.
So yeah, click bait.

After the success of Nurse it’s abit of another example of and old way of thinking.

Reply #816702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti Nagy is a better journalist imo.

Reply #816704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Said no one ever

Reply #816705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This dude will be fine. I like how Durant and Kyrie keep the media in the dark at all times. Stop all the bullshit conjecture.

Reply #816706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great player, will be great coach and I'm a BLM supporter, that has nothing to do with it.

Reply #816707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great player, will be great coach and I'm a BLM supporter, that has nothing to do with it.

Reply #816708 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Grasping at straws that connection.

NBA clubs are going to go with the best candidate available/as chosen by the star players

Reply #816709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All lives Matter
#ALM.

Reply #816712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a basketball decision by a basketball team.

Reply #816716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blacks will whinge if it aint a black hire.....cmon man bigger issues as the NBA of all leagues is the most fair and open league in the world this is clickbait!

Stephen Smith just wants his "Brothers" to get jobs

Reply #816717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4 years is pretty long for an unproven coach.

Reply #816719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ANON 816717

Im Black and I think its a good hire. stop with the race card please.

Thanks

Reply #816725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's the ex hall of game player thing doesn’t matter what colour that’s simply click bait from ESPN who for some reason push that narrative at the moment.

ESPN are cnn or foxnews and should just present the sports

Reply #816739 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yeah, of course Steve Nash getting the coaching gig would be called racist. It's 2020 after all. Any time a white guy wins over a black guy in any context someone will pull the race card. It's become quite obnoxious to listen to.

Pretty sure Jordan was a no-experience bloody GM for a team. they just assumed that because he was a great player, he'd be able to run a basketball organization. He's black so no one is making a big deal about it.

Steve Nash played point guard, and was one of the best to ever do it. Point guards often translate into good coaches. Steven A. Smith wasn't present at the interviews and meetings to say whether Nash impressed in that setting above other applicants.

But yeah, to Smith, "white privilege" is being one of the best point guards of all time, and having that open doors for you, as if Magic Johnson wouldn't get a coaching job if he put his hand up.

Ludicrous

Reply #816783 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:40 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754