Anonymous
Years ago

Media players that have the NBA app

Now that my 3rd gen Apple TV no longer supports the NBA app I need a new player to make my TV 'smarter'.

Now I could airplay or Chrome cast the games but I like to use my phone and watch highlights while I’m watching the game and this tends to disrupt it as well as drain the battery.

What media player supports the NBA app these days? Firestick? Mi Box?

Looking for a cheaper option than a new Apple TV. Thanks.

Topic #47608 | Report this topic

Trev  
Years ago

Just get a Sony TV as they come with the free yet brilliant Android TV

Reply #816883 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

This doesn't meet your criteria, but posting it for anyone else shopping in this space.

I personally can't stand smart TVs, and think the Apple TV is worth it as a way to avoid having to interact with the TVs themselves directly. Had ATV1, ATV2, and now have two of the current edition. I don't actually use the TV remote itself (unless the kids have switched on ABC live) as the ATV remote handles power up/down automatically and volume.

You can make the Apple TV a bit more palatable by getting 32GB HD for $209 rather than the larger 4K one.

Not familiar with other options though.

Reply #816884 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

What Isaac said all the way.

No hassles with Apple TV man, been using it for multiple things (Inc NBA TV) on home tvs over many years and never had a single issue. If you can afford it, fork out for it and you won't have any regrets.

Reply #816887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks might have to invest in ATV. Happy to hear any other suggestions.

Reply #816888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was in the same situation at the start of the NBA season with my old AppleTv. I got a FireStick for my birthday and have managed to get it to work with that. I doesn't work straight out of the box and you have to install the app via jailbreaking so it takes a fair bit of effort but works well now. The only issue I have is it makes me log in to my league pass account each time I watch instead of keeping me logged in.

Reply #816890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

X-box one.

Reply #816893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apple Tv 1st by miles

I live on mine for nearly everything now.

Reply #816900 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

NVIDIA shield is miles ahead of firestick (The cheaper alternative). The Shield would be on the same level as Apple TV. Check out reviews comparing the two.

Reply #816903 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I think if you have an iphone, Apple TV makes the most sense for sure.

I'm an android man and use a few different things.

My TV has a lot of the smart Apps which work well directly. They dont have NBATV or Kayo though.

For that I use either my chromecast HD or the Foxtel Now Box. The Foxtel Now box is basically another chromecast but like AppleTV has built in apps rather than needing to use your phone. it doesnt have the full HD but coming with a remote it makes it easier for everyday use for both apps. I'll use the chromecast for games that I have to have the highest def though.

Reply #817020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I use Apple TV and am generally happy with it, but I hear ChromeCast Ultra is also very good.

My qualms are with the quality of the NBA League Pass stream. I'm not sure if this is the right terminology, but it feels like the "frame rate" isn't great in terms of providing a smooth picture. The ESPN broadcasts seem to be better quality though.

Reply #817026 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:23 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754