Curtley
Years ago

Tridents, Pride or Jack Jumpers

It's like choosing between being eaten by a shark, being burnt to death or drowning in diarrhea.

Topic #47642 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Years ago

I don't mind any of them tbh.
JJs is a bit cumbersome so I lean slightly towards the other 2.

Reply #817420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there is already a topic for this.

Reply #817421 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Pride will win IMO

Tassie Tridents myfav

Reply #817422 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Terrible names IMO

Just call them the Devils again and be done with it.

Reply #817426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tridents.

Reply #817427 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Again, they keep announcing this like its a vote or competition. But if so who's voting??
As far as I can tell, the league announced a "short list"
which basically means they have chosen a name, and then included 4 others for entertainment purposes,
and like a really bad strip-tease, they remove one name per month.
what is the point?

Many have said that the league first chose "Pride"
If that's the case, then it doesn't look good

Reply #817430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What the ?

Ridiculous names ... there is nothing Aussie about them,

How can it engender community support when a kid asks what the hell is a trident or a jack jumper ????

Reply #817432 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Luuuc, your response looks/reads whacky, if your read straight through from 1st post to your 1st line.
JJs is cumbersome sorta like Knickerbockers is. Nicks works well, why wouldn't Jays?

Reply #817434 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Jays sounds crap

Jays sounds like baseball not basketball

Next minute someone says United sounds like soccer...

Reply #817435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the child will have to learn about, what a Jack jumper or trident is. There is nothing Aussie in most team names, Phoenix, wildcats, Sixers etc, nothing to Aussie about those names.

Reply #817436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All the names are awful and the knock-out promotion is tacky.

NBL media stinking this one up.

Reply #817437 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

"Maybe the child will have to learn about, what a Jack jumper or trident is."

^^^ this.

I don't like Jack Jumpers because it is a strange name for a sporting team, but hey, there are lots of teams with strange names that just seem normal now because they've had that name for ages.

Reply #817439 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

36ers = 1836

Reply #817440 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, 36ers is a solid example. If that was announced today on facebook imagine all the groans about it being a shitty name, and complaints about them ripping off the Philadelphia 76ers etc.

Reply #817441 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

I looked up what a Jack Jumper is, it's commonly known as the "Hopper Ant", native to Australia but mostly Tassie. The Hoppers as a nickname isn't too bad, but Tridents is the only sensible name that would get buy in.

Reply #817451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz telling us how it isn't yet again. Dazz if you know the facts about a topic then please contirbute. If not (like now) please STFU.
Yes it was a competion with 9000+ votes entered. The NBL drew up the shortlist (allegedly) based on public voting. They remove 1 name a WEEK. Name to be announced Oct 1.
Just simply stop posting shit about nothing you know about. PLease.

Reply #817453 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't mind Tridents, but it's the best of a pretty average set.

Reply #817454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pride and the can wear rainbow uniforms

Reply #817456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If this is all they have it has to be Tridents. I know it's done to death by even tigers would be better.

Reply #817457 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

I'm planning on supporting the new Tassie team even though I'm from Melbourne, I signed up for the Huskies when that was the plan and even bought some merchandise, collectors items now I guess.

If they choose the name Pride I'm not going to follow them. I've got no problem what a person's views or opinions are with race, religion, sexuality etc, so long as you treat people equally and fairly all power to you, but I'm worried the name Pride will bring even more unwanted symbolism and virtue signalling to sport, I'm over it.

Before anyone gets offended, I'm all for athletes, teams or whoever for that matter expressing whatever views they want away from the arena so long as they mean well, but please when the white line is crossed let it just be about the sport.

Reply #817458 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Please choose Tridents

Reply #817459 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If they choose the name Pride I'm not going to follow them. I've got no problem what a person's views or opinions are with race, religion, sexuality etc
Oh fuck off.

Reply #817460 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Read the whole post not 3 lines, I don't want more virtue signalling in our sport, BLM in the NBA is out of control and most people don't even know what the BLM movement is about. Again, be whoever you want, so long as you mean well you're a friend of mine, just keep sport out of it.

Reply #817461 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

BLM in the NBA is out of control

This is what I don't get with people like this, how on Earth can saying black lives matter (as opposed to not mattering) be out of control?

Reply #817462 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Melbourne Boy, are you incapable of looking at a name like that and considering that it's about the pride in a location? People say "Proud to be Australian" and the like, right?

Again, be whoever you want, so long as you mean well you're a friend of mine, just keep sport out of it.
Unless you're proud to be Tasmanian and purely mean to proclaim that Tasmanian pride, then you won't have Melbourne Boy's support at all.

Reply #817463 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Because the BLM movement isn't just about Black Lives and equality. If you look deeper into the founders, their backers, and their ideology and plans for the future, it's actually quite scary. Of course 99% of people want equality and are against racism, but the BLM movement are using those issues as a disguise to infiltrate society and impose their political views.

Good example, all AFL players knelt earlier in the season, they were making a statement about equality for Indigenous Australians and were supporting that absolutely worthy cause, but then it was widely reported it was in support of the BLM movement and players when interviewed were talking about BLM thinking it was only about racism, but the BLM movement actually couldn't care less about Indigenous Australians.

The Moral of the story is, keep politics, race, religion etc away from sport, the decline popularity of the major US codes at the moment is widely reported to be because of all that's going on within the sport that's not actually about playing the sport.

Reply #817464 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Isaac, yes he name Pride in that way is fine, but not everyone will see it that way.

Reply #817465 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Plus we'll have to put up with all the cras jokes made by a minority of fools, who will then get called out by the cancel culture loonies, etc, etc, I just don't want other societal issues brought into sport.

Reply #817466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Politics has been in sport since the forever and even more so since the big money came into it. Religion is raising it head every where much to the disgust of normal thinking people, so not certain how you can say keep it out of sport.

Reply #817467 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

As much as possible, like don't choose a team name that may cause trouble, or give fools a reason to be offensive/offended.

Reply #817468 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Good example, all AFL players knelt earlier in the season, they were making a statement about equality for Indigenous Australians and were supporting that absolutely worthy cause, but then it was widely reported it was in support of the BLM movement and players when interviewed were talking about BLM thinking it was only about racism, but the BLM movement actually couldn't care less about Indigenous Australians.
Why do you keep talking about BLM like it's an organisation with leadership and official policies?

Reply #817469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pride would be great......we can laugh at them constantly!

Reply #817470 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

virtue signalling to sport, I'm over it.

Let's *ignore* issues and those *experiencing* issues should shut up about it so that Melbourne Boy & others don't have the inconvenience of hearing virtue signalling, because that's the real problem in society today.

You poor thing.

Reply #817471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sick of people using "virtue signalling" as a criticism of anything they dont like. Its a meaningless phrase which people think they can use to shut down any discussion, probably because they aren’t intelligent enough to have one.

Reply #817472 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Pride the best of a terrible bunch.

Reply #817473 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I really should say "least worst", how much $$ did they pay consultant's to come up with these names? Sheesh

Reply #817474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Dazz telling us how it isn't yet again. Dazz if you know the facts about a topic then please contirbute. If not (like now) please STFU.
Yes it was a competion with 9000+ votes entered. The NBL drew up the shortlist (allegedly) based on public voting. They remove 1 name a WEEK. Name to be announced Oct 1.
Just simply stop posting shit about nothing you know about. PLease."

Can you PLease stop posting about Dazz?

Reply #817475 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

All terrible choices but forced to choose I'd lean towards Tridents, apparently "Devils" can't be used as it's been trademarked or something by the AFL, didn't know you could trademark a word? I could be wrong, but that's what someone told me...

Reply #817476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think people are looking at Pride the wrong way.

It should be chosen as the Pride of Tasmania. You could then link it to a pride of lions or even though Devils don't gather in groups who would know if you called it a Pride of Devils??

The state has wanted an AFL team, a soccer team etc but should all unite with Pride behind the Tasmanian NBL team.

Reply #817478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Opportunity for Reconciliation missed.....I understand the NBL could not reuse the Tasmania Devils but why not look to an Indigenous name for this team?

The Tasmania Purinina's (agreed Indigenous name for the Tasmanian Devil) could have presented as a unique name which links with the team Indigenous peoples of that area.

Reply #817479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because unfortunately that is a terrible nickname for a team

Reply #817480 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Has to be Devils.

Reply #817481 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Melbourne Boy, I think where you're making your point poorly is that you don't want to support a team making a political statement with its name. But the team is not making that point - they're talking about being proud Tasmanians. So you don't want to support a team because it could be associated with a political statement by other people completely separate to the club and after the fact.

So you just frame that, as you've later tried in another comment, about thinking a name with distracting connotations not being ideal. Easy. I also think it's a poor contender for that and other reasons - just too generic.

As for things like BLM, it's pretty easy to see these things spread faster in a modern world than a formal organisation can corral them. Occupy Wall Street, BLM, any number of environmental causes, blah blah blah. And that generally speaking people support the gist or some subset of a broader set of things, not all of which are driven by formal organisers.

e.g., a defund the police movement to most people isn't going to literally mean removing all police funding, it's just the first catchphrase that caught. Some outliers might want to nuke it all, but the majority would understand it's about apportioning responsibilities differently so that (as one example) police aren't tied up dealing with homeless people or going to check if a nanna is OK because her daughter five states away can't tell if nanna's dead body is being nibbled by the dog or she just forgot to put her phone on charge.

Reply #817483 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Gotta be tridents for me. Although kinda hope its pride now just for melbourne boy.

Reply #817484 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Www.taspride.com has been taken.

Reply #817489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"...can't tell if nanna's dead body is being nibbled by the dog or she just forgot to put her phone on charge."

Well that certainly took a dark turn!

Reply #817492 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I know it's too late but what about Tasmania Spirit? Named after the Spirit of Tasmania. Potential sponsorship out of it as well.

Reply #817494 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yes, because naming NBL teams "Spirit" has a history of working out really well.

Reply #817499 | Report this post

Dane Suttle  
Years ago

I actually like Jack Jumpers, really quirky and different to the usual bland nicknames. There are some equally great nicknames all through college sport in the US, which frankly, is why we have started to refer to teams in Australia in a similar way.
I also have no problem with any athlete using what forum they have to support a cause they feel strongly about. Many of these conservatives who complain about Athletes taking a knee or some other form of brief protest, are also happy to thank god or pray when its suits their agenda.

Reply #817502 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Oh the irony ......Melbourne boy posting about others getting offended and he is offended by a name.

Reply #817504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will be first in line for a membership when the Melbourne Snowflakes enter the league

Reply #817505 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Oh FFS
I'm well aware that they asked for Pubic Submissions.

But, as noted previously, they never actually claimed that these were the top 5 names. They only said that the LEAGUE had shortlisted these 5 names.

And my point above, is this "staggered reveal" is pointless and irritating. As of NOW, the name is already decided. There are no ongoing votes.
I understand that they are trying to generate interest, but I think its counterproductive.

Simply fact is that whatever the name, some people (maybe a lot of people) will be disappointed, and will take a while to come around. Better to get the name out there, and start winning people across and building hype.

Reply #817510 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

The only problem I have with Pride, is that the word now does have a strong connection with something else.

If somebody uses the word catholic, you assume they are referring to the Roman Catholic Church.

If somebody says their is going to be a Pride Rally in Hobart, are people going to assume it relates to basketball?

Don't get me wrong, it's not the end of the world. Even if it creates momentary confusion for some people, its not really going to interfere with them following a basketball team.

Merchandising might be an issue? Not everyone will want to put a Pride sticker on their car?

And it's not like it has a particularly strong connection. If you wanted to go that route, why not just go with Tasmanian Lions?

End of the day, a lot of names have no particular link (or at best an obscure one) to their hometown, and you make the best of what you've got.

Lets not forget that the most successful team is called the "Wildcats". Originally an alliteration of "Westate", and its mascot is a black cat called "Wilbur" (yet another alliteration.) And this in a country where the only Wild Cats are ferals that we are trying to exterminate.
The largest crowds in the league are the "Red Army" because at one time they were sponsored by Coke.

Reply #817512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please No Pride

Reply #817515 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Isaac, I think D2.0 summed up the Pride name argument better than me, I agree with his points. Maybe I'm just a bit jaded after watching the start of he NFL season where what the teams choose to do during the anthem gets more media coverage than the scores.

As for BLM, thats more than just a flash in the pan movement with a catchphrase that stuck, such as "defund the police" which will disappear after the election. There's way more behind the scenes that will come to the surface with BLM as time goes on, but thats not a topic to continue on this forum.

Scout, I'm the last person to take offense to things like this, i have no connection to Tassie or Pride or anything, I'm just looking to have a new team to support against the 2 Melbourne teams who I don't like, and that's only from a fun sports rivalry perspective. The name Pride just gave me visions of other agendas creeping into the discussion, and then a few far right fools make stupid comments and then offend the very people you do speak of, far left wing snowflakes, and that small percentage of people will draw unwanted attention.

Reply #817519 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

https://nypost.com/2020/07/01/the-agenda-of-black-lives-matter-is-far-different-from-the-slogan/

Reply #817521 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The largest crowds in the league are the "Red Army" because at one time they were sponsored by Coke.
No they aren't.

Reply #817523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You Dazz are an idiot. You said "Again, they keep announcing this like its a vote or competition. But if so who's voting??" But now you say "Oh FFS
I'm well aware that they asked for Pubic Submissions." Clearly not. IDIOT.

Reply #817524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Out of these 3 below average names I would choose Jack Jumpers but make an adjustment.Call them the Tasmania J Jumpers. Tasmania Jack Jumpers is too much of a mouthful. Pride is horrible, and Tridents most people are like what's a Trident ?, At least with jumpers they could have a logo with an ant so people get it, and it relates to Tassie, also the jumpers aspect relates to basketball. A number of people are saying the early founding club names don't sound Aussie like the wildcats etc, but there's no reason why that can't change, and the Crocs, Taipans and even the 36 ers ( because Adelaide was founded in 1836 ) shows how effective Aussie or local names relating to the region can be.

Reply #817525 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Melbourne Boy - think you'll find snowflakes are actually right wing nut jobs who take offence at being called out for being right wing nut jobs. eg taking offence at a name such as Pride.

Reply #817526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they are called the Jack Jumpers, it won't be long before people start calling them Jack Offs :)

Reply #817528 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Well Scout, you learn something new each day as they say.

Reply #817529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In my head Jack Jumpers has already been switched to Jumping Jacks, so probably not a good name.

Also Tasmania Pride makes me think of Sydney Spirit, which is bad, so I guess I'd have to go with Tridents?

Reply #817530 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Yes, because naming NBL teams "Spirit" has a history of working out really well.

Who knew using the nickname of a former club comes as a package deal with the same conman of an owner!

Reply #817532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol Huskies stuff "collectors items"

Reply #817537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack Jumpers are a fighting ant native to Tassie. If it's not going to be the team you go for, why bother arguing about it?

Reply #817653 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Pride out.

Down to Jack Jumpers or Tridents.

Reply #817746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With Pride out, Melbourne Boy can go back to hiding in the closet.

Reply #817747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any normal person would have to say it is 99% going to be Tridents, it is a terrible name but so much better than Jack Jumpers. But it is the NBL where team names like Spirit, Blaze etc were considered a good option... so welcome to the league Jack Jumpers!

Reply #817751 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Tassie Tridents is fine

Reply #817753 | Report this post

Slopernator  
Years ago

Jack Jumpers does take on a different sound when you think of the various collegiate and even Australian team names that, while odd on the surface, ring true in terms of representing the area/city instead of a generic wildcat, tiger, hawk etc.

Think Taipans, Rabbitohs, Dockers, Buckeyes, Cornhuskers,Tarheels and so on. Sure NCAAB isn't pro but for all the name recongition and revenue they carry, they might as well be.

Reply #817758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AFAIK Pride was the name the NBL wanted. I was told that long before any competition happened. Surprised to see it eliminated.

Reply #817759 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Jack Jumpers are a fighting ant native to Tassie. If it's not going to be the team you go for, why bother arguing about it?
This is a good point.
It doesn't matter if the rest of us think its weird. If Taswegians love it, that's all that counts.

Reply #817761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who told you Pride was the name the NBL wanted?

Reply #817767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesn't matter now. The names no longer a candidate. I had also mentioned it ages ago as the preferred name.

Reply #817778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, I also said something in the past once that had no importance of factual basis. I just wanted to remind you of that for no reason to make me feel special.

Reply #817780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good I hope you are proud.

Reply #817783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Up the Jack Jumpers! Always liked it but thought it was too out-there for a team name. Bring on the ant merch and ant mascot.

Reply #817787 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

https://www.themercury.com.au/sport/nbl-downplays-possible-slip-up-of-team-tasmania-nickname-week-before-official-revelation/news-story/a30e0a0b912233170b81c2fef3f5a561

Reply #817792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best, either will do. Both have good potential.

Reply #817793 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Damn, Jack Jumpers it is then.

Shit choice

Reply #817794 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Are they taking the Mad Ants concept and putting a local name in its place? Still no originality really.

Reply #817796 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Not sure KET, still reckon it is Tridents.

To be honest I don't mind either of them.

Reply #817799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes a big oops if true. Someone smart found the web page with the JJ's logo on it. See above but it may be paywall.

"Are they taking the Mad Ants concept and putting a local name in its place? Still no originality really."
Nothing more original than a Jack Jumper. The fact someone has a name Mad Ants is just a name. The JJ's are a local species rather than a generic Mad Ant. Everyone I know wants Devils but that can't happen. Who cares really all Tasmania want's is a team back in the NBL.

Reply #817806 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/68fc5678440463dc17f0a78475a8a5ee?width=316

Reply #817813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a lock page. Not publicly accessible. Internal leak?

Reply #817815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JackJumpers have won, what a j ok.. z

Reply #817980 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Where'd you get that from anon #980?

Reply #817981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if the thread title Gestapo will have a whinge that the title is incorrect now that Pride has been eliminated.

Reply #817985 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Obvious from the development website and logo....

Reply #817986 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.themercury.com.au/sport/nbl-downplays-possible-slip-up-of-team-tasmania-nickname-week-before-official-revelation/news-story/a30e0a0b912233170b81c2fef3f5a561

There may be a leak.

Reply #817988 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

I'm still going with Tridents.

Lot out there bagging the process, but also a lot talking about....marketers have done their job.

Reply #817990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I wonder if the thread title Gestapo will have a whinge that the title is incorrect now that Pride has been eliminated." It's an evolving process. Are you really that stupid? Sorry I have answered my own question. Clearly you are.

Reply #817991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But the title is factually incorrect. Why read posts to find that out?

Reply #817996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see the correct topic is now current.

Reply #818065 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:02 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754